Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 21:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Companies like TVS provided a dedicated LED DRL in most of their vehicles, whereas most manufacturers chose to keep the low beam always on and removing the headlight on/off button altogether.
I thought you were modifying your bike to install a dedicated LED DRL from a TVS or similar vehicle, but on reading through, I find you've made an awful modification, wherein both the low and high beams switch off for a few seconds when dipping the headlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
The contribution of such measures to improving road safety is debatable.
There is no debate here - use of DRL is a proven road safety measure worldwide, whether you like it or not.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 21:28   #17
BHPian

I agree with most people here, this mod can prove to be a life hazard for you. Everything "Old School" is not good. For Instance, I modded my 2014 Wego 110's wiring to keep both the front pilot lamps(yes, it gets 2) to be always on during ignition, Headlight still has a switch.
pritanshchandra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 22:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good DIY. I too hate the implementation of some bikes having low beam on as DRLs, but it is needed and useful as a bright light is immediately noticeable in rear view mirrors of cars or trucks, especially in rains.

You can do another DIY of installing a nice and powerful Osram/Philips DRL strip as an alternative.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 05:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Whether at junctions or in the rearview mirror of other larger vehicles, having your headlight ON registers your presence in their driver's brain.

Please don't make such mistakes. You could pay heavily for it. Forget grievous injury, even a painful fracture recovery of 1-month will make you heavily regret this.
I have old model motorcycle and car without DRL. I drive in the day time with headlamps on for this reason.

Before 2017, people used to signal me to switch off the headlamp in the day time without realising that it is intentional. After DRL got implemented, people got accustomed.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 09:36   #20
BHPian

I have to weigh in with the OP. I believe we are all being swayed by the "safety" aspect of the Always on Headlight and mixing it with the DRL fad that has led to some really cool headlight designs.

What the OP has done is converting his Always on headlamp to AHO (automatic headlight on) feature, which is commendable given the simplicity (relative) of the DIY. Having recently started using auto headlamps in my cars, I do believe that this feature allows the usage of headlamps in the right conditions, when the light has started to fade and would bring the headlights on much earlier than one would do manually. So I am all in favor of this feature.

Please note that the Always on Headlamp feature is a workaround to not having a DRL in the vehicle and is actually in the other direction of AHO. I was curious about the actual empirical evidence of efficacy and some basic research threw up a research paper on the worth of always on headlights.

https://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/1269...uscript%20.pdf
Page 23 actually states that the headlights were ineffective in improving visibility during the day, while page 32 says DRLs are more useful than headlights. (That is my take from the paper, members are requested to go through and draw their own assumptions)

In my experience, the vehicles with LED lamps being driven at high beam at dusk and during the day actually are a menace and contribute more to reducing safety on the roads rather than improving it.

IMHO, the government should also make it mandatory to have automatic headlight dipper switches (Also known as high beam assist) installed in all vehicles. I go crazy at night trying to signal people to lower their beams so I can see the road.

It does not need to be an expensive addition. Maybe something like this. https://www.homemade-circuits.com/ho...cle-headlight/

Maybe some of our more dexterous members might try their hands on building a system based on this. Another interesting system I found was this, detailing a complete headlight assist system.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...dent_Avoidance
Ravi Parwan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 14:49   #21
BHPian

While the rationale behind mandating AHO/DRL in India is debatable, what you have done is an illegal modification disabling a feature mandated by law.
anoop_lamba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good DIY from an engineering and execution POV. Using quality plug and play components to achieve your intended result.

From a safety standpoint, other have already expressed their views. I would not repeat them.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 06:30   #23
BHPian

Below is the YouTube video made by Fortnine about invisibility of motorcycle as compared to other larger modes of transport. DRL helps to get the attention of other vehicles while on the road.

Last edited by FueledbyFury : 14th March 2024 at 06:34.
FueledbyFury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 16:47   #24
BHPian

DIY is all fine, but use your skills on something productive rather than making your bike unsafe and also going against the law of the land.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2024 at 17:18. Reason: Typos and punctuation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks