Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:12   #1
BHPian

My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike

Hello BHPians,
I had an unfortunate accident on my bike (R15v3 bs6) on 3rd Dec-23. Yes, it was my fault.
It is a long story but here is a short version (Or a Confession)-
3rd Dec 2023, I was enjoying a ride on my bike. Found a closed and smooth piece of tarmac (not just Empty, CLOSED- no traffic allowed!!), I always do some drills if time and place is appropriate. After some hard braking practices and figure 8 turns (Thanks MotoJistu and MotoControl!!), suddenly all went wrong and I crashed. I managed to hit a divider at an angle and I got thrown off the bike to hit my shoulder. Though I had Helmet, gloves, shoes and jacket, I managed to hit an unprotected part between my helmet and shoulder and broke the Collar Bone (R Clavicle). There was no single scratch on body or on jacket or anywhere. Though on slower speeds, it was a impact- not slide.

I went to my home (Kolhapur-MH) next day by bus. There, I had an implant surgery on 5th Dec. Now, I have a titanium plate (implant) with a ugly scar over my clavicle. Surprisingly, the injury and surgery both were not painful physically, but it's hard to watch my parents suffer. Everyone in my family had to go through a lot, because of me!!
Moments like this are unfortunate but they remind you of how much you're loved and how much people around you care about you.

The Fracture and the implant, Broke the bone into 2 pieces, surprisingly, it wasn't painful-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-fracture.jpg

Now, I have recovered. I started all my chores after the the surgery. Also got permission for WFM and started the work from 11th Dec. After 2-3 weeks the shoulder movement was back to normal and I came back to Hyderabad in mid January. From last 15 days I have also started running and light workout (which I never did before the crash).
I wanted to pen down all details for crash and emotions while the recovery and a lots of other things, but I couldn't find time. (Or I'm just lazzy)

Repairs of the bike
Though now I am in good shape, my bike is not. Doctor advised me to not ride for 3 months which will be completed in next 10 days, and I am eager as ever to get back in the saddle. After the crash, I have not moved my bike from parking but giving it a start and 5 min idle weekly.

Damages-
  1. The bike had it's front cast wheel bent and cracked. Need to replace it.
  2. There are scratches on right side fairing, but can live with it. (Surprisingly, no damage to the indicators). The left side panel on the tank is detached from the center panel and I couldn't snap it back to it's place by pressing.
  3. Front brake lever is bent, needs replacement.
  4. The steering is out of alignment and I'm not sure about the extent of damage. It might need fork alignment or/and cone set replacement or replacement of the whole fork assembly. OR worse- repairing bent Chassis .
  5. Also, I am afraid if there is damage to the chassis. I had impact at around 30kmph and the cast wheel must have absorbed most of the energy, but still, I have my doubts. (I know, I'm being paranoid)
    Is it possible?? Experienced members please share your thought.

Also, I'm thinking of changing all fluids and carry out general service while at it. Please let me know if there is anything else I shall look out for.

I live near Cyber Tower in HitechCity, Hyderabad in a PG Hostel. I'm new in the city and do not have connections here to find a good local FNG. I've visited couple of garages (before the crash) for small things but the service didn't meet my expectations and most important, they charge 2-3 times for any simple job. (100-120rs for chain tightening, or similar charge to tight one screw for taillight?). Also, another one directly tried to scam me for money.

Now I wonder if I can trust anyone here

For last 2 weeks, I'm in search of capable and trustworthy independent garage to carry out the repairs but couldn't find one. There is Yamaha ASS near me (Pearl Yamaha) but they also don't have a good reputation. And we all know how expensive an ASS will get to repair damaged vehicle. I need a good mechanic who can replace the wheel, diagnose problem with the steering, competent to carry out repairs and trusted enough to not scam me.

If someone from TBHP has connections around this area, please let me know if there is a trusted mechanic you can vouch for him. Or it is better to visit the ASS. I am also open to carry out repairs at different places, i.r. replace the wheel at a good tyre shop and other repairs at ASS or good FNG. I am going to carry out the repairs in first week of March. So, have a week to decide.

Any information and advice will be appreciated, Thanks in Advance.
Saurabh

MODS- Please add to appropriate Thread if needed, I couldn't find one for motorcycles.
SaurAswale is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike

A very unfortunate incident. Since it has happened and is past, I wouldn't like to discuss about driving Do's and Dont's that you would have been overwhelmed with, by an excessive amount. But I wish you good and normal health.

About the bike repairs, please try reputed, online two wheeler portals to order the OE spares desired with factory specifications. After you zero upon a good mechanic and after acquiring the requisite spares, these can be fitted on the bike. There could be more Yamaha dealers (ASC's) in Hyderabad. To crosscheck spare prices vis a vis the links below you can dial the ASC numbers and get information.

Here are a few:-

https://www.unomindakart.com/global_search?s=Yamaha+R15

(Minda is an old OE supplier to many automakers )

https://ms-spares.in/product-categor...-yamaha/page/3

(Hoping members who have used the above MSspares e-commerce portal can provide feedback about its reliability)

As regards oils and fluids, if they have been changed recently and if they have more kms to go, these need not be changed. Their levels can be checked and topped up. A crash doesn't call for change of oils and fluids unless the chambers housing these are affected.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd February 2024 at 14:00.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:11   #3
BHPian

Time to save up for a Helite airbag backpack no kidding. Collarbone fractures are a common failure point that airbags solve. Get better soon.

Does it matter how expensive ASS gets if you can simply claim insurance? This is going to cost you anywhere from 10k-35k on parts alone depending on the damage.
hikozaru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Glad to know you’re close to full recovery now. For the bike related repairs, I would suggest to try opting for FNG. I am guessing your bike has completed 4 free services. Which means either paid service at ASS or FNG. I went for FNG for my fifth service at 14k kms, as I tried waiting for ASS to clear their load. Waiting for paid service ranged from 2-3 days if not more, something I wasn’t comfortable waiting for. Apart from that, I feel beyond the first 4 free services, I think it won’t matter much if we opt for either, considering you have a good FNG near you. A good FNG responds better compared to an ASS from my experience.

Hope you get back to riding soon!
R15M_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 18:05   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Collarbone fracture is the most common one even in MotoGP many riders have gone through multiple such fractures they say that since it is not a load bearing bone, it does not hurt much and that one can start riding soon after the plate is put in so I’m not sure if you really need 3 months off of the bike. That said I am not a medical professional so I’d recommend you do your own research just thought I’d highlight it.

Regarding the bike, take it to the authorised service centre itself and get it repaired through your insurance. But do note that these people tend to ignore chassis imperfections since a bent chassis might cause insurance service provider to declare the bike a total loss in which case only you will benefit from the IDV payout and the ASC will have nothing to gain as they won’t be able to replace any parts. I would recommend that you charm a technician into giving you the correct diagnosis about your chassis before okaying any repairs.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd February 2024 at 18:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 18:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

For anything other than major obviously visible bends in the chassis, the only way to only know precisely is to strip the bike to its bare chassis and put it on a special jig.

That requires considerable time, effort, and labour cost.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 19:40   #7
BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. i think I should have cleared some things in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
After you zero upon a good mechanic and after acquiring the requisite spares, these can be fitted on the bike. There could be more Yamaha dealers (ASC's) in Hyderabad.
As regards oils and fluids, if they have been changed recently and if they have more kms to go, these need not be changed. Their levels can be checked and topped up. A crash doesn't call for change of oils and fluids unless the chambers housing these are affected.
Thank you for the suggestion.
1. I have decided to get all original parts from a Yamaha dealer. I have arranged the part and prices seem fair (5.5k for wheel, 220rs for brake lever and 2k for the fairing). But can't decide where to carry out repairs.
2. I bought my bike used in last July- 17 months old at that time. It had 5000kms on the ODO and has done 3000kms after that. So I think its better to get it serviced. Also, as per the owners manual, it is advised to change the brake fluid every 2 yrs and coolant every 3 yrs and spark plug every 8000kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
Time to save up for a Helite airbag backpack no kidding.Get better soon.

Does it matter how expensive ASS gets if you can simply claim insurance? .
Thanks Hikozaru,
My current financial situation doesn't allow me to spend that much on a jacket, but I will definitely get one in future.
And about the insurance, I have been stupid enough to not upgrade to full insurance at time of buying it as current insurance was valid. Was thinking of getting full insurance once the 3rd party expires

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
I think it won’t matter much if we opt for either, considering you have a good FNG near you. A good FNG responds better compared to an ASS from my experience.
Hope you get back to riding soon!
Thanks R15M _Rider, I have gone through your review and travelogues. Expecting more stories from you!!

Previous owner had carried first 3 services in first year at ASS. I did the 4th service immediately after buying with ODO at 5200kms. I am aware that a good FNG is always better than ASS, but currently couldn't find one near me. Hence went through trouble of writing this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
one can start riding soon after the plate is put in so I’m not sure if you really need 3 months off of the bike.

Regarding the bike, take it to the authorised service centre itself and get it repaired through your insurance
I agree, I don't really 3 months off the bike, The doctor said I can ride only if there is no possibility of shock transferring to shoulder. And I thought it's cheaper price to pay for peace of mind of my parents.
And about getting it serviced at authorized centre, as I said, I was stupid enough to not buy full insurance. Hence looking for a good FNG. If I can't find a FNG in next couple of weeks, I will get it repaired through the ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For anything other than major obviously visible bends in the chassis, the only way to only know precisely is to strip the bike to its bare chassis and put it on a special jig.
Thanks Doc,
Yes, it is very hard and expensive to get the chassis repaired.
I asked that question to know if it is possible to bend the chassis at those speeds. My paranoid brain creates these doubts. It'll be cleared only after I ride it after the repairs.

Still a question remains, Which trusted FNG near me?? (Anyone from Hyderabad?)
SaurAswale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 20:53   #8
BHPian

Is the Bike not insured? Why not claim insurance?
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurAswale View Post
Hello BHPians,
I had an unfortunate accident on my bike (R15v3 bs6) on 3rd Dec-23. Yes, it was my fault.
@SaurAswale Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. Good that you ended up being hurt to this extent and nothing serious happened.

If budget is not an issue for you, then I would reconmmend to go after the ASC for trouble-free repair. A FNG might bring your bike back to original shape but tomorrow if any part or the bike in general does not behave as it should, you will have to visit again to the same FNG or different one for a price. But in ASC, if at all any fault arises after the repair, you can question them to get it fixed for minimal cost.

Whenever accidents like this happens, and if the vehicle (your R15 v3 in this case) is not too old, deserves to be repaired at an ASC. The part procurement and the repair timeline can take some time due to the poor logistics of Yamaha India to rural areas like Kasaragod, where I currently live.

Now, it is all your call: FNG or ASC. Make sure your bike comes out brand new. You should not go through a similar experience (worst case) due negligent repair or even cost-cutting for that matter.

Get well soon.
Ride safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:38   #10
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate crash. I had a similat injury way back in 2014. Have messaged you the mechanic details, just check with him. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care.
kvamshi04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your accident and best wishes for your full recovery! If you are looking for a good mechanic, I would suggest Metro Bike Point,
099597 38100, https://g.co/kgs/xFCJ92S. Owner is Maju Bhai - very experienced mechanic. His shop is closed on Thursdays.
Prashant_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 19:29   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies. I have got contacts of some trusted technicians from fellow BHPians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
As I said already,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasta_rider View Post
@SaurAswale
But in ASC, if at all any fault arises after the repair, you can question them to get it fixed for minimal cost.

Now, it is all your call: FNG or ASC. Make sure your bike comes out brand new.
Thanks sasta_rider,
I like to read about your adventures with your R15v4. Agree with you about ASC, but I am skeptical because the ASC near me doesn't have a good reputation. But, I am definitely gonna make sure that she comes out like brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvamshi04 View Post
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate crash. I had a similar injury way back in 2014. Have messaged you the mechanic details, just check with him. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care.
Got your PM, Thank you for your help!!
I'll contact him and let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
I would suggest Metro Bike Point,
099597 38100, https://g.co/kgs/xFCJ92S. Owner is Maju Bhai - very experienced mechanic. His shop is closed on Thursdays.
Thank you so much, I'll contact this number to inquire.

Update: I contacted Ashoka Yamaha Motors for the collecting the Wheel and the Lever, They asked me to visit on Monday.
Old 25th February 2024, 08:15   #13
BANNED

Hi,
If the forks are out of alignment get the frame checked on a jig before you spend any money on other bits.
Replacing the triple tree, head stock bearings and fork legs will not cure a twisted frame.
Regards Neil.
P.S. checking the headstock alignment does not necessarily mean stripping the whole frame. Don't expect the frame to be 100% correctly aligned, even new bikes have a margin of error.
Redex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 19:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
Does it matter how expensive ASS gets if you can simply claim insurance?
As OP pointed out , vehicle doesn’t have an Own Damage (Comprehensive)cover

Quote:

And about the insurance, I have been stupid enough to not upgrade to full insurance at time of buying it as current insurance was valid. Was thinking of getting full insurance once the 3rd party expires

Even if the bike had been insured, it’s doubtful if the claim would be payable for the following reasons:

Quote:
Found a closed and smooth piece of tarmac (not just Empty, CLOSED- no traffic allowed!!), I always do some drills if time and place is appropriate. After some hard braking practices and figure 8 turns (Thanks MotoJistu and MotoControl!!), suddenly all went wrong and I crashed.

Thankfully OP has walked away from the incident with no permanent injury. Bike / vehicle can always be repaired(of course , for a cost )
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 22:34   #15
BHPian

Bike repaired: first ride after the repairs

Hi all, thank you for your replies and suggestions.

Updates on the repair:

I got the bike repaired and serviced last weekend. The job was done by 999 bike service, Ayyappa Society. It was referred by someone and most importantly it was near my room. The problem was to ride the bike to the garage with bent rim and hence flat front tyre. So, it was very difficult to go to other FNGs. Arranging pickup would have added to the expenses. Also I visited Pearl Yamaha service center for inquiry and immediately decided not to take the bike there. They quoted 350rs just to change air filter (filter price not included), seriously?? 900 to replace cone set, And, 700rs for the service which was clearly far from what stated in the Yamaha's 'Labor charges' chart -

Labour Charges (Got this pic at Ashoka Motors)
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-labour-charge.jpg

Maintenance Schedule for all Yamahas (For your reference)-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-schedule.jpg

Plan was to repair the bike and get the regular service done. Last service was done in July-23, with 5200kms on ODO. The bike had done around 3000kms since. I thought to get it serviced a little early. Next service will be around 12200kms.

Saturday, 2nd march:
I went to Ashoka Motors, Mettuguda (Yamaha showroom and service center) by metro to collect parts-
  1. Front Cast Wheel (ABS)- 5450rs (I think price is fair for the bike)
  2. Brake lever- 232rs
  3. Air Filter- 251rs (recommended at every 17000kms, but still decided to change)
Total- 5928rs

Box of the Wheel-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-wheel-box.jpg
New Brake Lever-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-newlever.jpg
Air Filter-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-airfilter1.jpg

Got the rim changed at a nearby tyre shop and went to 999 bike.
Damaged Wheel (Notice Red stripes around the rim making it look beautiful)
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-damaged-wheel-.jpg
New wheel waiting to be installed (No red stripes- look plain and boring)
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-new-wheel.jpg

The mechanic took a test ride. Right fork was bent, right side handlebar (Clip-on) was bent, also he suggested to change the cone-set while at it and to clear further doubts. Again I went to Ashoka Motors to bring parts- this time on the bike. It was very good to be back on the saddle after 3 months, but the bike was pulling towards left and as handlebar was bent, it was not comfortable to hold. did around 40kms that day and told mechanic to carry the repair next day.
  1. Cone Set (Bearing set)- 1027rs (felt too expensive)
  2. Handlebar- 595rs (Again, relatively expensive as in last month, my cousin changed full handlebar for his Hornet 160 at 400rs only)
Total- 1622.

Cone Set-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-coneset.jpg
New Handelbar-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-newhandlebar.jpg

Sunday, 3rd March-
As decided, I took all parts and my bike to the garage before 10am. They started working at around 12am. Removed fork assembly, the T-plate. Fork was clearly bent and left side the stopper on the T-plate was damaged- due to which steering was rotating until the end hit the tank. Both were sent for repairs. Cone set was changed. Oil change, air filter replacement and other normal servicing was done. Handlebar was changed.

Out with the old, in with the new-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-air-filter-2.jpg
Bend in the fork is clearly visible-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-bent-fork.jpg
Bent Handlebar-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-bent-handlebar.jpg
Bent Brake lever-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-bent-lever.jpg

I had already ordered a bottle of Motul 7100 10W40 3 months back (before the crash) which replaced Yamalube from the previous service. Apart from regular service, I also asked him to sort out some minor rattles and loose bolts which he did. The front number plate was fitted with screws by previous owner (Can be seen in above pic), which resulted multiple scratches to my hand every time I was trying to wipe the front panel. I wanted to remove the saree guard as it is useless in both ways- Its very tiny and who is sitting on a R15 with Saree? it is deadweight bike have to carry everywhere.
But I found out it was welded to the tyre hugger. I don't like bike without the tyre hugger so kept it as it is.

Saree guard is a deadweight-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-saree-gaurd.jpg

Got the bike at around 7pm. Went for a test ride and came back satisfied by the job. The bike felt very good. The 7100 did its magic and the legendary 155cc felt even smoother. Gear shifts also improved. then the bike had a well deserved wash after 3 months of break. Paid the mechanic the labour charges and left.
Total hole to pocket-
  1. Spares and consumables- 7550rs (excluding price of the 7100)
  2. Wheel change- 600rs (Including 100 for the nozzle)
  3. Service and repairs- 1900 + tea to all mechanics (Includes charges to geting the fork straightened and welding to the T-Plate)
Total~ 10,900

As I don't have any commute, the bike is always parked in basement of the PG for the weekdays. Except on Thursday, I took her out and roam around the area at night for some time.

Saturday, 9 March-
Today, I did another 40kms. The bike felt very smooth to ride, VVA still fills fantastic. Suspension is still hard as it was .
The bike leans easily, though I was the limiting factor- still I haven't gathered full confidence as before. Previously there were vibrations at speed of 68-72 kmph which are reduced. Now bike feels smooth till 100-105. (Didn't try to go higher speeds)

Only concern was, I observed very light pull to left experienced only after taking both hands off the handlebar. Though, I could adjusted it by little weight transfer to right to keep it going straight. My conclusion is the wheel is still not centered fully. It is still slightly bent toward right resulting the bike leaning to left. Again, it is very minute and it wont be felt unless you take both hands off the handlebar for more than 2-3 seconds. For first 2 seconds bike goes straight.

I visited the mechanic after returning and explained the problem. First he was telling it is only in my mind but after a test ride he agreed. He asked me to ride some days and it'll get centered (I doubt it!). If not, he promised me to look into it.

Little about the rider -
I think I need to get over my fear. From childhood I was never of fearful type. I've always done things before thinking of consequences, sometimes just for the adrenaline. Even at time of the crash, I was alone in unknown countryside and still managed to keep my cool even facing with language barrier (I don't know Telugu, and people there don't know Hindi/English) . Got the first aid myself, and arranged pickup to drop my bike at the room with help of some very good local people. Also, travelled by state transport bus for 3 hrs to get back. All with a broken bone. There was never a moment of doubt or weakness. Heck even today, I played cricket and still I'm not afraid of damaging my already broken shoulder.

But while riding today, I felt I'm going to crash or slide couple of times. Fear was always there in back of my mind. Maybe it will go after some time. But I don't like the feeling of doing what I love but being accompanied by fear. Interestingly, I didn't feel the same when last time I drove the car. It was in January, so what happened now? and why only while riding?

Now my plan is to take every chance to hit the road (or traffic in Hitech City). Do couple of really long rides but with a group this time. But the problem is, in my friend circle here, no one is interested so I have to find a group. Maybe it will help me to rebuild my confidence.

Thank you for reading.
Parting with a pic of The Beauty (Isn't she one of the most beautiful bike in India)-
My motorcycle crash and recovery | Need help to repair my bike-1688990416963.jpg
SaurAswale is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks