Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 13:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urge to return to biking after 2 years | Buy or rent a bike? EDIT: A used Tiger 800 comes home

Reviving this old thread to put forth my dilemma and seek some advice from fellow brethren!

The last post on this thread was in March 2016. That was almost 8 years, a lifetime ago. Since then life has taken many turns. I moved from Bangalore to Mumbai in Oct 2016, riding my Duke 390 to the new city. When I moved to Mumbai, the odo was at 20XXX. Over the next 5-6 years, the bike travelled only 1500 odd Kms including 1 long ride from Mumbai to Pune and back. In between late 2018, I also got married and wifey happens to be super scared of bikes courtesy too many accidents in childhood.

So, years of extremely low use + lockdown + standing still etc etc led to Duke's almost demise. Finally in May 2022, with a very heart, I had to let go of it. At that point in my life there were too many floating elements, hence I wasn't even sure if I will get on the saddle again. Felt that the riding phase of my life was a closed chapter.

Fast forward to Jan 2024, life is more settled with the a certain sense of predictability and travelling bug being taken care either thru flight trips or road-tripping on 4 wheels. We did last moment Mum - Ahmd - Mum in November and then Mum - Goa - Mum in Dec.

Inspite of nice cushy road trips in the car, the heart still felt something amiss. And finally things kinda articulated themselves when I saw the Royal Enfield Bikes on Rent ad on social media.

That's when it became clear, I have been yearning the freedom of two wheels, the twist of wrist to the crazy seat of the pants feel, the feel of the twisties to the wind on the body. I have always felt biking as a medium to invigorate the soul and this urge was finally raising its head. Again.

But how do you convince the better half? I equated her passion of the jungles and the mountain to my passion of being a rider. Things that we connect to and things that stirs our soul!

Finally persuaded her, albeit begrudgingly, to accompany me to a couple of test rides. And she heard some of the conversations I had with the sales guys at RE and KTM respectively ( and she now knows the true price of the bikes ). She even asked me yesterday " Are you going to buy a bike" to which my sheepish answer was "No no! No way!" But then who are we kidding? Am sure she also knows which way the wind is blowing!

But truth be told, I don't know if I should buy a bike. Especially given the low mileage it will endure. My home to office is 3Kms each way, which will be by car. The car runs about 800-850 Kms/ month unless there is a road trip to Alibaug, Pune or further. Some of that leisure travel will move to the bike. May be some long distance once a year. But either ways, I don't foresee the bike crossing more than 5K kms in a year.

So, should I buy a bike and keep at home or rent out bikes from RE or KTM at 2-3K/ Day for a couple of days to fulfill the urge? Heart says " Need a Bike" while the mind says "Don't be so wanton with your wants". Any ways time will tell, the path I end up choosing.

However, if I buy a bike, I don't want to splurge more than 5-6L especially given the low usage. Some disjointed thoughts:
  • I test the Interceptor 650 and liked the riding feel and the pull. But RE at 4L without bells and whistles? Really ?
  • Haven't ridden the 390 Adv but I like the look. However I had the duke for 7.5 years. Almost same engine but in different mould. Pricing seems to be apt.
  • Tiger has always been a dream and they seem to have a very good resale value. I'm seeing 7-10 year old low mileage bikes on OLX. Can I look at such old well maintained bikes?

Look forward to all your thoughts and inputs!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 5th February 2024 at 13:18.
MileCruncher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 11:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Urge to return to biking after 2 years | Buy or rent a bike? EDIT: A used Tiger 800 comes home

Feeling an urge to return to biking after 2 years | Should I buy or rent a bike? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 11:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Urge to return to biking after 2 years | Buy or rent a bike? EDIT: A used Tiger 800 comes home

Why not rent a bike for a couple of trips and see if you and your wife also feel the same way after a couple of long rides(Assuming your wife will accompany you). If only solo rides are expected, then also a couple of rides will give you an idea of your current state of mind with respect to riding. Although you mentioned returning to biking after 2 years, looks like you have been mostly off the saddle since 2016 which is a long time away. Hence this point of doing a check on how you feel today with long rides.

If it all falls in place, then you can go ahead and buy.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 12:41   #4
BHPian

I was under similar circumstances during the H1 of 2023. Had (still have) a RE Thunderbird first generation bike, which is kinda end of life now, due to less riding, a little flood affected & RC expired during the Covid time, did not get a chance to renew & revive it (am lazy).

Once the office commute started post-Covid, we (wife & me) felt the need for a 2-wheeler for general errand runs and short city rides, as taking my SUV for such runs were not really practical in Bangalore. Bought a new TVS Jupiter 125 in Feb-2023, after riding it quite a bit, as I had to complete the run-in period and initial services, the keeda of riding got to me. After a month or so, I really wanted a bike which has good power, hence went in on a full-on hunt to find what fits me well, that by itself is a story, but will save it for another time/ thread. Finally, by Oct-2023 I purchased a used Kawasaki Versys 650. Am enjoying the rides on it every time I take her out, already clocked 3.5K on her in 3 months time.

Now coming back to your story, 2 dilemma to solve:-
1. Which Bike?
2. Rent or Purchase?

My suggestion would be to rent bikes to start with, which would give you the flexibility & freedom to identify what style of bike fits you better. Test riding new bikes wont give you the exact feel of how a bike would age and how it behaves after clocking a few thousand miles on it. Each bike has its own unique character, which needs to synch with the rider for a perfect balance. Once you get to ride a few type of bikes for considerable distances, am sure you would be able to shorten your wishlist to one or two bikes.

Now, once you identify what bike (1 to 2 max) you want, try renting them for some more time and enjoy the rides, after a while you will feel if you are happy to continue the same or you would want a personalized bike and if you would use the bike frequently.
Considering your past experience of low miles on vehicles (ironic TBHP user name though ), instead of going for a new bike I would recommend a pre-loved one, for which you may have to wait a bit and find the right one like I waited for 6 to 7 months.

Hope you get to choose your ride soon..!!!

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th February 2024 at 12:48. Reason: Minor correction
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 14:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Look forward to all your thoughts and inputs!
Pls do both!
1. Rent a motorcycle for a year, experiement with different brands, models & style. One day you'll get to know whether you need to buy one or not, when it's time...
2. Buy one

Good luck
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 11:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post

Now, once you identify what bike (1 to 2 max) you want, try renting them for some more time and enjoy the rides, after a while you will feel if you are happy to continue the same or you would want a personalized bike and if you would use the bike frequently.
I think I'm kind of zeroing down on adventure tourers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post
Considering your past experience of low miles on vehicles (ironic TBHP user name though ), instead of going for a new bike I would recommend a pre-loved one, for which you may have to wait a bit and find the right one like I waited for 6 to 7 months.
Well low miles are only on the two wheeler since its moved into the leisure category from the primary mode of commute / travel. When I was in Bangalore, Dule 390 was my primary mode of travel clocking up 18K Kms in 1.5 years. My car is standing at 88K in 5.5 years. So may be "MileCruncher" is still apt? what say?

And yes, I'm looking at pre-owned bikes only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pls do both!
1. Rent a motorcycle for a year, experiement with different brands, models & style. One day you'll get to know whether you need to buy one or not, when it's time...
2. Buy one

Good luck
Not sure where can I rent a Tiger 800 XRX or a Adventure 390 or a VStorm 650. These are the bikes I have zeroed down to after some serious thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Why not rent a bike for a couple of trips and see if you and your wife also feel the same way after a couple of long rides(Assuming your wife will accompany you). If only solo rides are expected, then also a couple of rides will give you an idea of your current state of mind with respect to riding. Although you mentioned returning to biking after 2 years, looks like you have been mostly off the saddle since 2016 which is a long time away. Hence this point of doing a check on how you feel today with long rides.

If it all falls in place, then you can go ahead and buy.
Fair point, but given my state of fitness, I don't foresee a challenge to sit on the saddle for long days. I did a 5 day ride in 2022 in Sikkim on a Himalayan and didn;t have a problem. My only challenge currently is allocating time amidst work, household duties, running, holidays et al.

Lets see how this evolves.

I test rode the Triumph Tiger 660 and no offence meant, I somehow didn't feel a wow! Extremely agile and beautiful handling, doesn't feel the weight but the engine just didn't make me go wow!

Next in line are Tiger 800XRX/ Vstorm 650 and Adventuer 390.
Old 10th February 2024, 21:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure where can I rent a Tiger 800 XRX or a Adventure 390 or a VStorm 650. These are the bikes I have zeroed down to after some serious thought
Have you TD'd these motorcycles for a day's trip? Since you're starting, you also have an good opportunity to start with small since you're in experimentation mode as well; start with small, build endurance & then increase your motorcycle's capacity in accordance to your endurance, try out how much you can endure & what the roads & motorcycle teach you.

Being in Bombay, I'm more than positive you can find rental motorcycles. A simple Google search shows
1. https://www.rentrip.in/bike-on-rent/.../390-adventure
2. https://www.ktmindia.com/associations/tour-operators
3. https://www.rentnhop.com/bike-rental-mumbai
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 13:00   #8
BHPian

I had a similar dilemma on a long standing wish to buy a bike and never could get myself to take the plunge. Did a few test drives and zeroed in on a Honda highness pre-owned having done 7500 kms for Rs 1.67 L. Wife gifted me the same for my birthday in December and since then have covered 1500 kms till now in Feb. Absolutely love the convenience and the chance to rediscover a lost love for biking.

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th February 2024 at 09:33. Reason: Typo correction as requested
vijayols is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th February 2024, 19:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

My recommendation:
1. Rent a bike for a few trips and if you find it manageable in the current life, priorities and challengers, get a new one.
2. Get a pre-owned bike if you find a good one or a small one. That way, the hit on resale and waste would be much lesser even if you do not pursue it.

I have seen many people getting a new mid segment bike (mostly RE) with the intend to go on weekend/ long rides, which does not happen after the initial couple of new bike excitement rides. After that, the bike gathers dust which is a sheer waste of the resource.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have seen many people getting a new mid segment bike (mostly RE) with the intend to go on weekend/ long rides, which does not happen after the initial couple of new bike excitement rides. After that, the bike gathers dust which is a sheer waste of the resource.
Well said boss and pls count me in this team!!

In 2022, rode to Ooty, Trivandrum that's all. Post that, my Interceptor does several personalized school van service for my children every month & perhaps a day's ride around the stale Chennai, a quarter or so.

Fortunately in my case, Wife intervened to change from Street Triple to Interceptor in 2021 & ofcourse a few friends from this esteemed forum also helped make up my mind. Otherwise I would be tearing in blood from eyes to keep riding Striple to school & day trips. More than the motorcycle, I would've been the culprit criminal to mistreat such a lovely Striple putting to such chores.

To reflect upon why such things happens, it's not the age or time, it's responsibilities & changing priorities in life that takes more precedence over anything else, especially when motorcycling is more of a hobby than making an income out of it.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 10:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good tips from other members. At the end of the day it is a personal choice of course. I go about these matters slightly different. When it concerns matters such as hobbies, (in my case cars, bikes, bicycles, boats, planes) I probably rely more on my heart than my wallet. Or to put it differently, I don't try to make my decisions to rational.

I learned one thing from my dad., He believed in never doing things by halves. So when I showed interest as a young boy in a model train set he bought me one. But he did not just buy the starter pack. He bought a bunch of additional track, points, two extra engines and a whole bunch more. He did not believe a simple starter pack, with just a little oval of track would be good enough to start such a hobby.

I always remember that. I also think there is a huge difference between renting and buying. For me part of the pleasure I derive from my cars, or my boat, is the ownership! Yes, it also provides for many headaches and substantial cost as well. But to me, owning my own stuff is what is important. Renting a bike and going on a few trips is nice, but I would never give me that ultimate feeling of me and my bike I like.

If I buy a bike I am going to enjoy it, no matter what! Being out there on your own bike, is a completely different feeling then doing it on a rented bike. At least, for me. No comparison.

Each to its own of course. When it comes to these matters I am all in or all out. There is no middle ground! And when you approach a new hobby with a 1000% I want this feeling, you are very likely to enjoy it, no matter what.

Good luck with your choice.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 19:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this state of confusion is not unique to me alone but many a folks have gone through / or are going through the same predicament.

Anyways I think the heart is finally set on the Tiger 800 XRX. A fellow BHPian who I bumped into today was kind enough to share his Multistrada 1200S. Lovely bike but alas not for me.

Now the search for the right XRX starts!
Old 24th February 2024, 16:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Which one to choose?

I'm in a dilemma!

Option 1- Tiger 800 XRX
  1. Oct 2015
  2. 2nd Owner
  3. 33k Kms
  4. Well maintained
  5. Around 7L
  6. Has full set of panniers + top box + centre stand + denali lights + extra sturdy engine bash plate + accessories et al

Option 2 Tiger 800 XRX
  1. Jan 2020
  2. 1st Owner
  3. 36.5K Kms
  4. Well maintained
  5. 10.5L
  6. Just centre stand+ basic engine bash plate + side panniers

While there is a another Tiger 900 GT, 24K done, I have decided to skip it as the general reviews of vibrations from 5K RPM onwards is off putting.

If I go with Option 1, what are the pitfalls?
Old 26th February 2024, 13:07   #14
BHPian

Small world. Option 2 is my bike. And I’m sure its got equal accessories as Option 1 - and lot more stuff that might have not been shared with you. I’ve PM-ed you
TheVaas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 14:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which one to choose?

Quote:
Option 2 Tiger 800 XRX
  1. Jan 2020
  2. 1st Owner
  3. 36.5K Kms
  4. Well maintained
  5. 10.5L
  6. Just centre stand+ basic engine bash plate + side panniers
Option 2 all the way, 1st owner, 5 years newer than option 1 for which the additional cost is worth it. The add ons are more or less what you will need. This is considering all is well with this particular bike in your due diligence.

I wouldn’t get tempted by the lower price on a 5 year older bike even with the added assessories.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks