Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 16:21   #1

Oil seal repair takes a month | Why you should reconsider buying an RR310 in Tier 2/3 cities

This is purely opinion based on REAL EXPERIENCE.

NOTE: Hi, I'm new to the forum and not much into writing, so don't mind if I can't make this compelling to read and make mistakes. Thank you in advance.

So, I have owned a TVS apache RR310 since October 2019. My experiences with the bike alone have been great without any complaints. It never fails to make me smile every time I take it out and in a tier 2/3 town, what will amaze you are the looks people will still give her so many years since it came out.

Now to address the main issue why I'm writing this thread and I'm sure most of you have guessed already - it's the after sales service.
Now, I'll admit that the bike isn't ridden daily and in fact, not much at all on any comparable standard. So I had not had any major breakdown in all these years of ownership until the last week of December 2023 (we'll get back to this because boy it's a story!). Anyway, even during general and regular services you could tell that the TVS technicians were almost going through the motions and were either incapable or would not do something out the ordinary to what they were taught in workshops. They didn't indulge in inquisitive conversations. In fact, on many instances, one is not even allowed in the service bay are which, for an offering like RR310 that caters to enthusiasts, is a no-brainer. But regardless of how the services was, I took it.

A little background: I bought the bike in Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) in 2019 from a dealership that has now closed down and back in 2023, I moved back to Prayagraj (erstwhile Allahabad) as it's my home town along with the bike.

Now the real story starts. So, in the last week of December, I woke up to my mother telling me that there seemed to be a leak from my bike, and I pretty much guessed that it would be the front USD shocks. It really was that seals of the front shocks. Now, since it's a thing that every USD shock owner has to deal with eventually, I wasn't bothered and this was the first time spare parts would be needed. So the next day, I went to a nearby TVS dealer who services and sells RR310sad and found that the part wasn't available. The dealer would order it for me and I could come back later, whenever they called.

Fast forward the first week of 2024, I got no call and I was caught up with work, so I finally reached out to the dealer on 8 January when I got the time. They told me that the part was ordered and it would reach shortly and that they'd call me back. A week passed by, but no call. I reached out again and was told the same thing - it'll take time. I then tred to find out through other dealers if I could get the work done.

So, in Allahabad, there are 5 dealers who sell and service the RR310 and no one had a simple fork oil seal. 4 of these just refused to help. Even the one who I went to the first time simply suggested to check with another dealer. Now, no one had the part in stock and this is an oil seal mind you - something that's a common part to fail. So I complained to TVS on Twitter and they reached out to me on 3 different occasions over 2 weeks. They have yet to provide me with a resolution. The last time they reached out, they said it'll take 2-3 more days and that was on 3rd February and just today, I got a call that I could expect the repair to be done on 13 February. It's really disappointing to see that a minor oil seal failure has caused the bike to be out of service for over a month and given the current trend, it'll probably reach the two month mark.

My point in all this, a fork oil seal is something that is bound to fail eventually no matter how well you maintain your bike and there's a fair number of RR310s in Allahabad to have been stuck for so long without such a common part. Just goes to tell you what kind of service TVS is offering to small town buyers.

Also, some of you might ask this, so I'll make things clear. I didn't get it done at an FNG by sourcing the part online because I don't think it's a good idea in a town like mine to get things done by a third party.

Now, to end this, is there some other approach I can take and what can I do to make TVS understand that this behaviour is not right?

Suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2024 at 08:28. Reason: Spacing, capital letters; punctuation, grammar
Nostrings0607 is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th February 2024, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Oil seal repair takes a month | Why you should reconsider buying an RR310 in Tier 2/3 cities

I live in Chennai and had to replace the headlight on my RR310 BTO due to a minor accident. It took Arasu Motors Porur service center one month to obtain the part from the factory. The RR310 is a great bike that was unfortunately let down by the pathetic service experience.
da3mn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Re: Oil seal repair takes a month | Why you should reconsider buying an RR310 in Tier 2/3 cities

I can help you.

I will buy an oil seal from TVS ASS from my city Udaipur and I can courier it to you, then you can get it fitted at a nearby TVS ASS

Last year I got the oil seal changed on my bike and It was readily available at nearby Tvs ASS. It's just a one-hour job if the part is available, costing me 1500 bucks ( fork oil + labour + oil seal cost)

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2024 at 20:15. Reason: Edited typo as requested
vattyboy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 12:56   #4
BANNED

The oil seal does not have to come in a packet branded TVS, these parts are not unique. I have repaired many forks, (and engines, gearboxes etc that needed seals), over the years. All you need to do is remove the faulty seal and read the numbers on it. Typically a number like "304211" meaning 30mm i.d, 42mm o.d, 11 mm thickness. The same system is used for bearings.
That will tell you the internal/external diameters and thickness. There are plenty of vendors online who can supply seals. Choose a Japanese brand.
If you cannot read the numbers just measure the dimensions in millimetres.
Saves a lot of time.
If you Google "oil seal" you will see that very few show the "numbers" on the picture. The seals are usually upside down or positioned so you cannot read the numbers and then use it to find a cheaper supplier !!!
Now Google "oil seal 304211". Then try using the number on your old seal to find a new one for your 2 wheeler.
Google NB320230 for a fork seal kit for the Apache RR310. 41mm forks ?
Redex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 12:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Buy from here take it to your service center and ask them to fix it.

While I agree TVS should be the one who should be taking care of this, but when you see such delays, it is a good idea to take things in your own hands. One of joys of owning a motorcycle is getting your hands dirty, and for such repair even if you get it done outside your warranty won't be void (Which I think anyway should have expired by now).
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 13:16   #6
BHPian

I frequently hear such stories about the RR310, as if TVS is importing parts from Germany or waiting for BMW approval

Are the seals not same as G310 R or G310 GS?
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 17:26   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
I frequently hear such stories about the RR310, as if TVS is importing parts from Germany or waiting for BMW approval

Are the seals not same as G310 R or G310 GS?
The TVS RR310 and BMW G310RR are basically the same bike, both have identical USD forks so the seals are the same.
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 17:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrings0607 View Post
So in Allahabad there are 5 dealers that sell and service RR310 and no one has a simple fork oil seal, 4 of these just refused to help even the one that I went to the first time around (they simply suggested check another dealer) now no one had the part in stock and this is an oil seal mind you something that's a common point of failure and so I complained to TVS on Twitter and they reached out to me on 3 different occasions over 2 weeks and have yet to provide me a resolution last time they reached out they said it'll take 2-3 more days and that was on 3 February and just today I got a call that you can expect the repair to be done on 13 Feb instead now. And it's just really disappointing to see that a minor oil seal failure has caused the bike to be out of service for over a month and given the trend of things it'll probably reach the two month mark.
RTR310 owner here. It's unfortunate that you had to go through with this. Have you tried calling up the service support number that's given in your user manual? Recently, I was touring through rural Andhra and my RTR310 had a really bad puncture. The tyre had almost come apart because I went over a huge sharp object and my bike was loaded with a pillion and luggage. I was very certain I would be spending time on the road because new michellin tyres are not easy to come around in the market. Thankfully, I had noted down the territory manager number that's displayed in their customer lounge during my previous service and I took a chance gave him a call. Even though it was a Sunday and this area was not under his control, he was kind enough to pick up and arrange for my vehicle to be picked to the nearest dealer near Hyderabad and he also arranged for the tyres to reach the location by the next day evening.

There is also this whatsapp number +91-73971 61112 , where you can search the list of dealers where the part is available. It gives you the part catalog where you can find the part number and then use the part number to find stock of the part in the said pincode. I used it to find stock of new mirrors and brake pads, was helpful, so you could try it as well.

I would suggest you to either call up their helpline number and if you find that's not helping as well, call up their territory managers or the dealer owners - you have these numbers displayed in the customer lounge @ the service center, they are called escalation board or something. Hope you get your fork seal and get riding soon my friend

Last edited by graaja : 16th March 2024 at 17:50. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
curiousbolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 18:20   #9

First of I apologise for being inactive and not giving an update to the situation untill now as I was caught up in a lot of work and had to also deal with some health issues leading to miniscule screen time in general,

NOW onto the update.

I do not remember the exact date and would have to go look through the invoice but I'm guessing it was by 15 or 16 Feb that the leading dealer of TVS in allahabad IMPERIAL TVS Finally called and confirmed that the seals can be replaced, and I sent my brother to go get it done the same day, so now the bike is completely fine, the service manager of imperial Mr. Sanjeev tripathi was extremely pleasant to deal with even on telephonic conversation and my brother shared the same thought. But yes the whole ordeal of trying to get the part was a hassle and should have been dealt more promptly by TVS.

I have other thoughts on the situation but I'd rather not say it and I maintain my position that every prospective buyer should make sure they have a good aftermarket place to rely on both for sourcing of parts and getting the work done in general in a tier 2/3 city as TVS doesn't seem too keen on improving those aspects anytime soon.

also yes I am now in contact with whom I believe to be very able FNG's in case I need to get things done outside.

Lastly thankyou everyone for suggestions and sharing experiences, reassurance and advice is something everyone should appreciate more so I'm very grateful.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbolt View Post
I would suggest you to either call up their helpline number and if you find that's not helping as well, call up their territory managers or the dealer owners - you have these numbers displayed in the customer lounge @ the service center, they are called escalation board or something. Hope you get your fork seal and get riding soon my friend
Yes I did try looking up the availability of the parts using the WhatsApp number and interestingly it showed that two dealers in my city had the part in stock but after calling them to confirm if they had the part they denied having it, I also reached out to the territory manager through the service manager of the first dealership I contacted but I got the same SOP response.

Thankfully at last the bike is repaired now and lovely as ever

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th March 2024 at 19:12. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability. Thanks!
Old 16th March 2024, 18:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
The oil seal does not have to come in a packet branded TVS, these parts are not unique. I have repaired many forks, (and engines, gearboxes etc that needed seals), over the years. All you need to do is remove the faulty seal and read the numbers on it. Typically a number like "304211" meaning 30mm i.d, 42mm o.d, 11 mm thickness. The same system is used for bearings.

Google NB320230 for a fork seal kit for the Apache RR310. 41mm forks ?
Wish I had the mechanical inclination you do sir

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th March 2024 at 19:11. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability. Thanks!
Old 16th March 2024, 18:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
I can help you.

I will buy an oil seal from TVS ASS from my city Udaipur and I can courier it to you, then you can get it fitted at a nearby TVS ASS

Last year I got the oil seal changed on my bike and It was readily available at nearby Tvs ASS. It's just a one-hour job if the part is available, costing me 1500 bucks ( fork oil + labour + oil seal cost)
Had it done, sorry for not responding earlier thanks for extending a helping hand
Nostrings0607 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks