Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2024, 21:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

So, the issues as per this gentlemen and the service experience at a glance.

1. Plaguing coneset play issues, not addressed by the SVC and the lackadaisical attitude of the chaps. Personally have been plagued with coneset issues on my REH-411 right from the day the bike was was taken off-road. Lo and behold, no amount of torquing, greasing or slacking would throw a resolve. It simply would return out of the blue and feed to the frustration. Seems it's a plaguing one, sadly.

2. Audibly and verbally confirming of engine's rickety valve-train sound for which he was over-ruled by stating once engine warms up, the sound shall make its presence felt. I sincerely feel this level of valve-train noise is simply alarming, definitely not normal.

3. Even though a loose bolt was taken into consideration by the owner to rule out bolt vibrations as engine vibrations (per his statement and the bolt in question tightened by the owner himself) seems though the valve-train noise still persists.

Current and prospective folks, please do take a look.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th January 2024 at 21:32.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 22:52   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
2. Audibly and verbally confirming of engine's rickety valve-train sound for which he was over-ruled by stating once engine warms up, the sound shall make its presence felt. I sincerely feel this level of valve-train noise is simply alarming, definitely not normal.
Eh, sounds like a bag of nails, typical for a euro engineered engine a la S1000RR and MVs. Even that settles down once the engine has warmed up though.
Jokes aside because I have no mechanical aptitude, the response from the mechs, from the company service centre in RE's hometown no less, is incredibly appalling. Imagine training only 2 mechs at your company service centre for a bike you expect to sell thousands of.
hikozaru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 00:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
So, the issues as per this gentlemen and the service experience at a glance.

1. Plaguing coneset play issues, not addressed by the SVC and the lackadaisical attitude of the chaps. Personally have been plagued with coneset issues on my REH-411 right from the day the bike was was taken off-road. Lo and behold, no amount of torquing, greasing or slacking would throw a resolve. It simply would return out of the blue and feed to the frustration. Seems it's a plaguing one, sadly.

Cheers!
VJ
Considering the fact that both generations of Himalayans have very different frame designs and constructions, the recurring steering stem bearings issue is quite surprising considering it's such a simple but vital component on a motorcycle. Don't you think it is a QC issue with their bearing supplier or using inadequate spec bearings for the kind of abuse this bike is going to go through?
Old 25th January 2024, 00:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else noticed the issue about the jerk or missing issue? We have a few owners who have faced this issue.
Old 25th January 2024, 09:32   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Considering the fact that both generations of Himalayans have very different frame designs and constructions, the recurring steering stem bearings issue is quite surprising considering it's such a simple but vital component on a motorcycle. Don't you think it is a QC issue with their bearing supplier or using inadequate spec bearings for the kind of abuse this bike is going to go through?
I believe it is a part issue despite being very costly and a tapered one. 411s running on NTN bearings are running fine.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:33   #126
BHPian

I am done with First Service last week. Still I see the service due notification in display. service center staff was saying it will be updated automatically after riding for around 50kms. is this right ?
Old 25th January 2024, 12:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

I think Loctite thread lock could prove useful here. And that will be the solution RE will offer
Quote:
Considering the fact that both generations of Himalayans have very different frame designs and constructions, the recurring steering stem bearings issue is quite surprising considering it's such a simple but vital component on a motorcycle
Old 25th January 2024, 16:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesbysky View Post
There is no development on bookings made for colours other than Hanle black. I see only Hanle black being delivered and very few Kaza Browns. Has anyone got delivery for Slate colours or Camet white? I had booked my Kaza Brown on 10th of December 2023 but there is no update yet when I can expect delivery(apart from official ETA of 15th April 2024 which looks unrealistic waiting). SA had given estimates of Jan but I think its not in their hands.

Anyone expecting deliveries in coming days? Please share when did you book and the variant.
I had booked the slate himalayan salt on 09-Nov-2023. Till today the app was showing tentative date of 14-Apr-2024, but now I see date of 03-Feb-2024, that's just a week from now. No call from the dealer (kings royal riders, baner, pune) yet.
Old 25th January 2024, 22:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think Loctite thread lock could prove useful here. And that will be the solution RE will offer
Loctite works well for locking a given thread not assemblies that are pivoted over a locknut. The thread might be locked tight, but if the assembly itself has play then no amount of Loctite will solve the issue. They need to find a solution if it's a nut that's getting loose? If yes, then why? And what can be done.. We'll have to wait and watch!

In this video, Sarge explained it well.. The topic in question starts at 09:53 to 10:22, do have a look.

Quote:
From my ownership experience with this issue, it comes primarily to the bearing quality and the tolerances they have to offer for a better fit. A better quality bearing might have perhaps solved the issue, but in its stock form it's a disaster. As the OP mentioned, I didn't have the opportunity to swap the stock SKF to NTN bearings. But yea, the jury is out there, the issue persists.

Along the same lines, in this video of Sarge I've shared above, he discusses the inconsistency and for you, it starts at 2:18 to 2:59.

Overall, it's minor goblins given it's a brand new motorcycle. Hopefully, it's a smooth sail for the foreseeable future, given RE doesn't attenuate and provides full-heed to the first-batchers.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 25th January 2024 at 22:16.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 23:19   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I am done with First Service last week. Still I see the service due notification in display. service center staff was saying it will be updated automatically after riding for around 50kms. is this right ?
I finished my first service and currently running at 1,500 kms. The notification still persists.
Old 26th January 2024, 02:10   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrici View Post
I had booked the slate himalayan salt on 09-Nov-2023. Till today the app was showing tentative date of 14-Apr-2024, but now I see date of 03-Feb-2024, that's just a week from now. No call from the dealer (kings royal riders, baner, pune) yet.
I see. Thanks for the update. I believe bookings for slate blue colour would be far lesser than Hanle Black or Kaza Brown, probably thats why you are getting delivery earlier. I had booked a Kaza Brown on 10th Dec in Gurugram. Dealer asked to wait for updates till Jan end for clarity.
Old 26th January 2024, 21:57   #132
BHPian

Some Photo Updates!
- Rally Kit. (Added ProSpec Mounts that also function as crash sliders).
- RE GMA Radiator Grill.
- Barkbusters Tapered Universal Handguard with Barkbusters Storm.
- RAM Mirrors.
- SP Connect Phone Holder.
- MadDog Alpha
- RE Handlebar Pad
- Kriega Fork Seal Protector.

Waiting for
- Larger Windshield
- Saddle Stay (What's the lightest option available?)
- Backrest for Pillion and/or TopBox.
- Adv Seats with 810mm seat accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himalayan-450.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163519.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163403.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163506.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163708.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163647.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163714.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_163655.jpg  

Last edited by rishi.roger : 26th January 2024 at 21:58.
rishi.roger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 22:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krtikn View Post
I finished my first service and currently running at 1,500 kms. The notification still persists.
I read somewhere that it should have been reset manually. Something like putting bike at 6th gear and sliding joystick to left for 5s. You can try this.

Edit: I still don't know how gear position and tripper reset is related. Just restating what I remember from some youtube video or website.

Last edited by tech_rider : 26th January 2024 at 22:15.
Old 27th January 2024, 09:29   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I read somewhere that it should have been reset manually. Something like putting bike at 6th gear and sliding joystick to left for 5s. You can try this.

Edit: I still don't know how gear position and tripper reset is related. Just restating what I remember from some Youtube video or website.
Here's the video link for reference.

Linea is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 18:28   #135
BHPian

I happened to drop Himalayan test ride bike when taking it out from showroom. Bike was at higher ground than road, there was no proper slop, just two stones were laid out to get it down. Though bike was on stone, I lost balance on turning and could not reach my right foot to hold bike.

Luckily damage limited to just few scratches on crash guard. I completed test ride and informed the showroom executive on that incidents. He got really tensed, ran towards bike for damage assessment. He was keep on asking whether I felt any bend on the handle during course of the test ride. I said no, apologized multiple times and offered any financial obligations because of the damage. Requested him to take a ride to see if handlebar has any issues. Luckily there was none. And he asked me to not worry on the financials on that damage. Even if it is test ride bike, I was very much disappointed in myself got not taking care and putting scratch on crash guard.

But this incident made me think about another experience couple of weeks back when I asked another RE dealer for test ride, they said that test ride bike got in to some accident and handlebar got bent. Bike was in workshop to replace it. Combining this with this current incident and. showroom person's fear, I am started to think if Himalayan450 handlebar is so fragile to bend on single fall? Do they know anything about some quality issues that they have not made public? I have also seen some posts here complaining about bike turning to a particular direction.

Last edited by tech_rider : 27th January 2024 at 18:32.
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks