Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2024, 18:48   #856
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrici View Post
I have exactly the same issue. I use M size gloves and feel the the himalayan 450s clutch lever to be way out. Its much more than other bikes. It feels more than the himalayan 411 too. Operating the clutch with just two fingers puts too much strain on the hand. Have been searching online for adjustable levers but nothing to be found - it's still early days. I did see online videos where people have bent stock levers by heating with blowtorch but I suspect I may destroy the lever if I experiment with the blow torch.
Early days my fingers. It did not take my left thumb more than a week to get deformed for the riding position. Since the 450 launch, RE has been using the dial style pass switch on all their bikes, taking the piss out of people's thumbs. I can live with that even, but what really gets me is that they are happy selling overpriced junk accessories like headlight grills but won't sell adjustable levers. It is these small things that make me never want to even ride a RE again, let alone buying one.
hikozaru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 19:06   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Check YouTuber Abhinav. He just got it installed
Yes, I did too. Actually that bike behind his in that video was mine , pending for ECU and tubeless conversion.
That ECU Remap brings a considerable difference in NVH and smoothness in power delivery, something that wasn't completely resolved with FuelX.
There's an issue with seat closure though when you run bunch of accessories like FuelX, Piggyback ECU, Fog lamps, etc - not just on rally seat but also on regular seats. There's simply not enough room for all of it in there.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 16th September 2024 at 19:08.
rishi.roger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 11:11   #858
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, saw this on Instagram, tubeless rims for the 450.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_2567.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 12:24   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
66k is a lot of money to pay for the convenience of tubeless. Are they importing the OEM RE wheels from abroad? and why RE is taking this long to offer the tubeless option which they promised an year ago.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 12:35   #860
BHPian

Royal Enfield service leaves a lot to be desired. I recently noticed that my rear wheel had horizontal misalignment and the notches at the swing arm were not at the same position. I tried fixing it on my own, however, I wasn't able to. Hence, I went to the service center today.

At the service centre, they said that there is no problem with the alignment. I showed them the difference in the swing arm notch position on each side as well as the alignment against the rest of the bike. They still stuck with their stance.

Finally, after showing them their own service manual, talking to the service head and finally threatening to take it to a third-party service, they attempted to fix it. They re-assembled the wheel and the alignment was finally fixed. This was done without following due process, but by this time I had given up and decided to do it correctly myself since the major problem I had was solved.

This is not the first time I have had issues with RE service. Most of the bolts were torqued wrong. I do not think they even put the effort to use a torque wrench. At least they didn't when re-assembling the wheel.

I am disappointed with the poor knowledge of these mechanics and how they do not know how to correctly do even minor maintenance like this. I will not be going back to RE's service centres except for free services to protect my warranty.
NikhilosKage is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 13:39   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilosKage View Post
At the service centre, they said that there is no problem with the alignment. I showed them the difference in the swing arm notch position on each side as well as the alignment against the rest of the bike. They still stuck with their stance.

Finally, after showing them their own service manual, talking to the service head and finally threatening to take it to a third-party service, they attempted to fix it. They re-assembled the wheel and the alignment was finally fixed. This was done without following due process, but by this time I had given up and decided to do it correctly myself since the major problem I had was solved.
It's the same feeling across the board when it comes to the RE's ASS. However, could you also please mention which service centre this took place at ? We can all stay a little more vigilant if we do visit these centres. Also, my bike has not anywhere close to where it should be even post second service.

I have a feeling I'm going to hunt for a 3rd party service centre in South Bangalore and get an alternate service there and at the official one on schedules as well to retain my warranty!

I simply cannot invest in torque wrenches to verify if bolts are as per the guide! Nor do I know if there are any FNG's who are equipped with this! Hunt is on, this feels like buying a first generation classic all over again!

Last edited by Sheel : 18th September 2024 at 15:10. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 15:11   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
It's the same feeling across the board when it comes to the RE's ASS. However, could you also please mention which service centre this took place at ?
I went to the Electronic City service centre on Hosur road near Kudlu gate. While the customer facing folks (both sales & service) are great, the mechanics are not except for a few.
Old 18th September 2024, 18:06   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Most of the buyers aren't going to take it off proper road due to its weight. I don't understand why is RE not bringing the alloy wheeled Himalayan 450.
t3rm1n80r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 19:05   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilosKage View Post
This is not the first time I have had issues with RE service. Most of the bolts were torqued wrong. I do not think they even put the effort to use a torque wrench. At least they didn't when re-assembling the wheel.
What torque wrench?

I am yet to see any ASC using torque wrench.

Once, they used regular ratchet to tighten engine casing screws. When asked about the torque wrench, they were very sure the ratchet is the torque wrench.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 22:42   #865
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone found adjustable levers for the H450 yet? I tried looking up on Google and didn't find any.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 23:35   #866
BHPian

Narrating an interesting incident which happened to me yesterday.

I am travelling to Spiti with Bagheera on its first long trip. Yesterday the route was from Gorakhpur to Delhi. So, I took the Lucknow Agra Expressway and then the Yamuna Expressway till Delhi.

I refuelled short of Lucknow, calculated that the distance to Agra was around 340 plus kms and set course.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240917093930.jpg

Enroute, I was shocked to see only two fuel pumps in the entire expressway till Agra, and those two also at an interval of approx 100 kms each. After crossing the second pump with fuel range on console showing 120 kms, I took a wrong decision and continued without refueling. Torrential rains after midway kept slowing me down.

I kept riding with yellow warning light coming on at 100 kms to empty and then the distance to empty kept further reducing.

At the exit toll booth towards Agra, the distance to empty was at 42 kms and the toll booth operator said it was another 30 kms to the next pump at Agra exit. Just kept my fingers crossed, cursed myself for the foolishness and rode on. Finally found the exit, descended, reached the pump with distance to empty remaining just 11 kms. Heaved a sigh of relief.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240917144211.jpg

So, the good part is that the distance to empty figure displayed on the console is quite accurate. Though I won't suggest anyone to either experiment or replicate what I did.

With the reading showing almost empty, tank took in 15.3 litres to fill up to the brim.
So, practically unusable fuel would be around 1.7 to 2 litres.

PS : more details on the Spiti ride shortly in travelogue section.
aviator1101 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 19th September 2024, 12:43   #867

Changed the engine oil for Himalayan

Got the Motul 7100 10w50 FS

Significant reduction in engine vibrations
Reduction in engine noises (slight tappet ticks are there but those get dispersed in the ambient sound)
Considerable improvement in performance response

NB: I moved to 10w50 instead of 10w40 because at my place the temperatures are going 40+ everyday and due to humidity the real feel temps are crazy.
IamAsHter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 06:54   #868
BHPian

Quote:
What torque wrench?

Once, they used ......
What torque wrench - 2.

Allen key slid inside a tube spanner was the torque wrench at RE brand store service in Bangalore

They were doing this while replacing t-stem top, with the existing threads stripped off from previous torque wrenching . Later on one fine day morning while riding out I heard a metallic clang noise, found that two lower fork pinch bolts committed suicide by shearing their heads off in disgust of such torque wrenching and the evergreen vibration symphony of engine.

Good luck, to those who believe company stores are all sophisticated, capable etc etc.

Last edited by Rennjit : 20th September 2024 at 06:56.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 07:48   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAsHter View Post

NB: I moved to 10w50 instead of 10w40 because at my place the temperatures are going 40+ everyday and due to humidity the real feel temps are crazy.
Do keep a note on your fuel efficiency, you mite see a drop, nothing significant though.
Old 20th September 2024, 08:27   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAsHter View Post
Changed the engine oil for Himalayan

Got the Motul 7100 10w50 FS

Significant reduction in engine vibrations
Reduction in engine noises (slight tappet ticks are there but those get dispersed in the ambient sound)
Considerable improvement in performance response

Also to add:

Heat management is better now, feeling significant changes in radiator fan activity and the heatwaves on the right leg have come down by a huge margin , and the fun part - gear shifts are slick and smooth, as smooth as a 100cc Honda

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th September 2024 at 08:59. Reason: Minor formatting edit
IamAsHter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed