Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2024, 15:37   #811
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Good that you brought this topic. Been backburning the buying process of DT mirrors for a while, primarily owing longer term cons outweighing the intermediate pros and simply the upkeep for a mirror is just too much in the long run, at least for a parsimonious guy like me. IIRC, the older model DoubleTake mirrors too had pretty lousy ball bases, which were later replaced by thicker ball mount below and a smaller one at the top and also were quite light weight to reduce the weight of them over them. Almost all rubber-based ball mounts fail pretty much over time, as the tension on them and the twisting force eventually shaves the rubber head which causes them to go loose. So, as long as it works, well it works good.

Cheers!
VJ
One hack suggested by a rider in the US is to use fine grit sandpaper and give the ball bases a gentle rub to scuff them up. Just a little bit to help create friction when the arms are clamped into them.
Does not help if the shape has begun to deform but till the replacements arrive, can help keep the mirrors in place.
trailsndirt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:40   #812
BHPian

I've been wanting to install wideangle mirrors since a while now - the stock mirrors give limited visibility. The RE touring mirrors and Doubletake (DT) mirrors and are too pricey and have non-trivial negative reviews with loosening, vibrations, etc. I also didn't want to fiddle with the stock mirrors so was looking for some solution that is an addition to the stock mirrors.

Finally after much thought decided to do some home-grown jugaad, with very low cost materials: a car blind spot mirror set bought on amazon, and nuts, bolts, wooden strip from the local hardware shop. The contraption has come out well, does its job of showing me the entire road. Since its so close to the stock mirror i dont have to move my eye angle too much to look at the wide view. Taken it till 100 and no noticeable vibrations. The only negative is that it spoils the look of the motorcycle. Can probably use aluminium instead of wood for a sleeker look but cutting/drilling aluminium at home is much harder.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240813_171749.jpg
heinrici is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 21:00   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeepDriiiving View Post
Any feedback on RE Touring Seat?

Is RE touring seat any better?
Hi! I have been using the touring seats for the last 1800km, probably the best accessory I have got for my 450. Did 600+km in a day, did not experience any discomfort at all.
ThatWhitei20 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 10:40   #814
BHPian

Hi all, needed some suggestions on how to go about managing a tear in my seat. Any recommendations for a cover?

Sharing some pictures of the artist who has worked on it right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240816_042341000.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240717_141549972.mp.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240717_141557769.jpg  

Shur'tugal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 17:21   #815
BHPian

Has anyone here changed the brake pads for the front and/or brake fluid to DOT 5.1?
I feel the front lacks a bit of sharp bite when I need to slow down quickly (when I am at speed).
The rear brakes are fine but feel that the front needs to be a bit sharper.
Old 20th August 2024, 16:55   #816
BHPian

changed my rear brake pads today. The Service Centre charged 3300 Rs including GST.

Can anyone let me know if there is a way to check the factory prices for Royal Enfield's parts & spares?

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-screenshot-20240820-165413.png
Old 20th August 2024, 18:13   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaslu@2028 View Post
changed my rear brake pads today. The Service Centre charged 3300 Rs including GST.

Can anyone let me know if there is a way to check the factory prices for Royal Enfield's parts & spares?
Whats the reason for getting the brake pads changed? And at how many kilometres?
Old 20th August 2024, 18:16   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
Whats the reason for getting the brake pads changed? And at how many kilometres?
I have clocked 8000 Km already. They were worn out.
manaslu@2028 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 23:11   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSk View Post
I took my vehicle to the service center again. They checked the error code (three errors were showing) and performed a reset. The error disappeared, but I wasn’t entirely convinced since the same procedure had been done before. After scheduling a video call with the technical team, the local service checked every port and sensor while still on the video call. This process took nearly three hours, but no issues were found; everything seemed okay. They kept my vehicle overnight, and the next day, they took it for a 75 km test drive, but no errors appeared. The technical team advised the service center to replace the entire wiring, so one was ordered. I’ve driven my vehicle for 500 km since then, and no errors have appeared.

I’m now unsure whether to replace the wiring or not. I plan to take my vehicle for a stress test soon and will decide based on the results. I suspect that while they were checking the ports and wiring of the vehicle, they might have fixed a loose wire or another minor, causing the issue.
Update after a long ride on 1600km : seems like "APS error" gone as of now. bike performed fluently. I still dont know what caused the error and what made it go away.
Old 22nd August 2024, 23:16   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaslu@2028 View Post
I have clocked 8000 Km already. They were worn out.
I replaced it at 5,000 km, and after 2,000 km, the brakes seem to be about 40% worn.

adding pic for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-funpic_20240822_230719180.jpg  

RaviSk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 17:08   #821

As a potential Himalayan 450 buyer, I have been monitoring this thread regularly ever since the Nov 2023 launch. After going through all the posts, looks like the main niggles/issues currently persisting are:
1) right-side pulling
2) chassis break (whatever the reasons may be)
3) abrupt errors showing up on the digital display (for whatever reasons)
4) certain buttons in the switch gear not working (water ingress maybe)
5) one case of wiring catching fire

Hopefully that's all. And hopefully steps are being taken by RE to address & rectify these issues.

This being the first "Ladakh season" + "monsoon ride season" since the bike's launch last year, I guess the overall picture should be clearer by Oct, if it isn't already.

Now only if those damn tubeless spoked rims were to be launched on time! Patience is being tested. Literally.
SingerWhoRides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 20:31   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingerWhoRides View Post
Now only if those damn tubeless spoked rims were to be launched on time! Patience is being tested. Literally.
The tube spoked rims by RE is plain simple torture. Two weeks back, me and my friends were out in the western ghats enjoying the monsoon and my friend's Himalayan suffered a puncture. Since we were in a village area (somewhere around jog falls) , we approached the village's local puncture shop. The young chap in the shop told us that the nozzle had broken since we rode the bike without air and quickly arranged a replacement new tube and got the wheel ready. Then started the pain ! It took us 4 hours to get the wheel back.The chap just could not get the wheel back. We were surrounded by 15-20 villagers who were amused to see the drama. We managed to get it fixed somehow after calling a mechanic from a neighbouring village. Also after the incident, many errors popped up on the display and we had to again spend 1 hour at RE service centre at Goa. So in short, its a crime on the part of RE to not provide tubeless option in the Himalayan.
Also, incidentally my R3 also got a puncture during the return journey. It took just 5 minutes to patch at a puncture shop (long before i could remove my helmet and gloves to google pay the shopkeeper !
ChetanM6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 23:30   #823
BHPian

Quote:
As a potential Himalayan 450 buyer, I have been monitoring this thread regularly ever since the Nov 2023 launch. After going through all the posts, looks like the main niggles/issues currently persisting are:
1) right-side pulling
2) chassis break (whatever the reasons may be)
3) abrupt errors showing up on the digital display (for whatever reasons)
4) certain buttons in the switch gear not working (water ingress maybe)
5) one case of wiring catching fire

I would the call it the X factor here. Whereas Honda and Toyota have rigorous QC in all their products (say there is a 1 in a 100000 chance of getting a lemon or a faulty product), brands like Royal Enfield have a 1 in a 1000 chance or lesser to be one. And if you happen to be that statistic then there is nothing that could be done.

I love the Himalayan. It's one bike do it all for me. Have done 2800 odd kilometres in all types of roads. It just glides over anything our roads throw at us. I have a done a lot of DIYs to make it smooth between 100-110 kmph:
1) Fuel X pro+
2) way2speed airfilter
3) amsoil engine oil

All the above has made my motorcycle very smooth between 100-110 kmph. The buzz is now barely felt. I work my bike and it rewards me with a smooth smile everytime. If you really want to own a Himalayan - "do a test ride and stop browsing the internet for faults."
true_sedan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 15:27   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Recently RE has even stopped mentioning the tubeless rims. This is the same story as the alloys for INT - they were promised 6 months after launch. RE took their own sweet time of more than 4 years to launch alloys.

Better to go for aftermarket tubeless conversion options even if they come with their own possible problems.
Old 24th August 2024, 17:59   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Did my first ever 300 kms trip on a 2-wheeler. Odometer has crossed 500 KMs, listing down some observations.

• The bike is top-heavy.
  • 100 KMPH comes up at exact 5K rpm on the 6th gear.
  • Bike is heavy. I took a short spin on a Duke Adv250, made me realise how heavy the himalayan is!
  • Bad roads? Undulations? Love it how it rides, now wonder it is the USP of the bike.
  • Headlights are pathetic.
  • Brakes are good.
  • The seat could have been more comfortable but it could be just me since this is my first 2-wheeler and I am still getting used to riding.
Exactly the same observations. I'm having problems handling the bike when its stopped and while parking in tight spots. The seat as such is comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This guy has expressed a thorough understanding of the bike's characteristics. My realisations mirror his. In addition to highlighting an excellent point, (which few members on our forum would argue against), regarding the bike's 'flickability' in the city, he is emphasising the challenge posed by its wheelbase.https://Youtu.be/HZooi24HyBM?si=RyuGcvtnMIT5D5sr
He does post informative videos. Only thing that irritates me is the excess praise he showers on the 411 like it's the ultimate ADV bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhitei20 View Post
Same. Both the RAM & Double take mirrors are priced around 16k, but the rear view visibility coverage is so much better with these mirrors compared to the stock mirrors! Will wait for someone to share their experience with the RE touring mirrors and take a call.
I did go ahead and install the Knock Off Double Take mirrors. Finding them better than the stock. Quality is not that great.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed