Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2024, 15:37   #811
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Good that you brought this topic. Been backburning the buying process of DT mirrors for a while, primarily owing longer term cons outweighing the intermediate pros and simply the upkeep for a mirror is just too much in the long run, at least for a parsimonious guy like me. IIRC, the older model DoubleTake mirrors too had pretty lousy ball bases, which were later replaced by thicker ball mount below and a smaller one at the top and also were quite light weight to reduce the weight of them over them. Almost all rubber-based ball mounts fail pretty much over time, as the tension on them and the twisting force eventually shaves the rubber head which causes them to go loose. So, as long as it works, well it works good.

Cheers!
VJ
One hack suggested by a rider in the US is to use fine grit sandpaper and give the ball bases a gentle rub to scuff them up. Just a little bit to help create friction when the arms are clamped into them.
Does not help if the shape has begun to deform but till the replacements arrive, can help keep the mirrors in place.
trailsndirt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:40   #812
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

I've been wanting to install wideangle mirrors since a while now - the stock mirrors give limited visibility. The RE touring mirrors and Doubletake (DT) mirrors and are too pricey and have non-trivial negative reviews with loosening, vibrations, etc. I also didn't want to fiddle with the stock mirrors so was looking for some solution that is an addition to the stock mirrors.

Finally after much thought decided to do some home-grown jugaad, with very low cost materials: a car blind spot mirror set bought on amazon, and nuts, bolts, wooden strip from the local hardware shop. The contraption has come out well, does its job of showing me the entire road. Since its so close to the stock mirror i dont have to move my eye angle too much to look at the wide view. Taken it till 100 and no noticeable vibrations. The only negative is that it spoils the look of the motorcycle. Can probably use aluminium instead of wood for a sleeker look but cutting/drilling aluminium at home is much harder.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240813_171749.jpg
heinrici is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks