Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 17:09   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

This is Rs 10,000 at Bike n Biker Bengaluru
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
Where did you get this done for such a low price? This may not sound VFM to you. But I'm not able to find this for anything less than 14000 rupees.
Old 11th July 2024, 19:35   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is Rs 10,000 at Bike n Biker Bengaluru
Only the aluminium frame is 10,000 rupees. The VPS guards cost another 4000. But the OP has done it for 12,600 rupees total.
Old 13th July 2024, 11:35   #738
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
But you haven't tried the BMC . And, mine has the BMC. 20% better than stock, I might say. Try that once.
I am using BMC Air Filter + FuelX Pro+ alongwith 49 teeth rear Sprocket. Generally set at 7/8 (FuelX) and the bike simply changes character as far as low speed behaviour goes as also highway speed cruising at about 100-110.

FE has dropped about 2 km but it's totally worth it.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 12:42   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I am using BMC Air Filter + FuelX Pro+ alongwith 49 teeth rear Sprocket. Generally set at 7/8 (FuelX) and the bike simply changes character as far as low speed behaviour goes as also highway speed cruising at about 100-110.

FE has dropped about 2 km but it's totally worth it.
I agree with the change in character, and if you're running a decat(removing the resonator actually) then it goes wild.
Which company's 49T sprocket are you using ? (I am trying to procure mine from RaceFactory).
Also, your chain had ample slack to fit 49T ? If yes, how many kms on the odo ?

Last edited by rishi.roger : 13th July 2024 at 12:45.
Old 13th July 2024, 12:44   #740
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Agree with the change in character. Which 49T sprocket are you using ? RaceFactory ?
Did your chain had ample slack to fit 49T ? If yes, how many kms on the odo ?
Yes, I am using Race Factory Sprocket. It was installed at about 5k on the Odo, after 2nd service of the bike.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 14:54   #741
BHPian

Dropped the bike at almost a standstill speed because of some slush when trying to stop in traffic in the heavy rains in Mumbai. Thought nothing had happened, but my handlebar feels askew since then. Taking it to the ASC tomorrow. An unnecessarily eventful period with the bike continues.
Shur'tugal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 23:51   #742
BHPian

Got the chance to clean my bike and lube the chains. Coming from an R15, the chains feel one revolution more in size. Here are some pics:

The old dirty lube completely removed:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-floorgrease.jpg

The chains look pristine after a good application of motul chain clean:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-chainnew.jpg
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-cleanchain1.jpg

After the chain clean, gave the bike a nice wash with karcher pressure washer. The end result is just:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-clean-bike.jpg

Finally lubed the chains with motul chain lube. Set the air pressure on both wheels to 32. Kept fuelX on setting 5 and took her for a dinner ride into the city.
true_sedan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:57   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
Dropped the bike at almost a standstill speed because of some slush when trying to stop in traffic in the heavy rains in Mumbai. Thought nothing had happened, but my handlebar feels askew since then. Taking it to the ASC tomorrow. An unnecessarily eventful period with the bike continues.
Handlebar needs to be replaced. Handlebar is (obviously) not in stock. Quite annoyed - this is completely my fault, but the Handlebar on an adventure bike should be able to take a fall at a standstill speed. Not enjoying my introduction to owning an RE.

Any solutions that could work as a stopgap? I thought of getting an AOM Handlebar, but the SC won't install it, and I'm afraid of doing anything on this bike that can affect warranty.
Old 14th July 2024, 12:20   #744
Senior - BHPian

Did a first longish, 170km ride yday and got to know the bike better. It was a perfect mix of highway and back roads, dry and wet surfaces.

Positives (for the umpteenth time):
- suspension..got home and didn't sleep! I am totally wound up and need to catch some sleep post a I ride on my Monster. This one is easy going and relaxed.
- ergos..couple that with suspension and things are slot on.
- dash is clearly visible in all conditions and shows all the useful info in all conditions.
-top end is truly astonishing - hit 125kmph and it could still go on if I wanted to.
- you can pile on speeds in gear 3-4-5 amazingly quick. Overtakes are a breeze on the highway.
- stock windscreen now suddenly seems ok. Maybe I wasn't riding fast enough given the rain.
- doesn't throw much muck at the back. Does throw some on the front incl the beak like others have pointed out but unless you are truly riding in slush all the time, it's OK. The bike was not as bad as the Scrambler 400X was from Surjaonwheelz recent beach trip log.
- bike felt quite nimble even on ghats and it does totally mask the weight.

Not so positive:
- stock seat is nice soft where it tapers at front but pretty hard close to pillion seat. Started getting uncomfortable after 1st hour. Needs a fix for those who do long rides.
- Vibes between 90-100kmph are nuts. Could feel it in right footpegs and some on the handlebar. Did not have a chance before to maintain such speeds.
- absolutely and totally lacks any low end and behaves like the 390. Had to drop to first gear almost every single time there was a climb esp on a hair pin. Was extremely irritating. FuelXPro, if it does fix things, is a must. Am not convinced yet based on the charts since I feel it improves things only post 3200rpm. Guess I need to find someone who has it installed and ride his bike to get a real world feel. Heard it fixes the vibes a bit as well given that the engine knocks much less at lower rpm.
- first gear is really short. I wished it would hold on for a higher speed as I climbed the hairpins. You drop a gear to find some pull and then it already starts prompting for the 2nd with very little throttle! If you don't, it is crawling and gruffy, if you do, it loses it's breath. Its like you got the first but you cant use it much. Did someone experience this?? FuelXPro &/or sprocket change is the fix I guess.
- Ceat tyres are okayish at best. Work well on dry, firm surfaces (e.g. on the road) but not so much in slush and wet roads. But maybe mine aren't broken in much since I just finished 1k kms.

Enjoying the bike so far but it sure needs some prep to make it comfy for longer rides.

All credits to Surjaonwheelz for helping with finding the right rain gear without which this ride would have not happened.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_110224.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_110213.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_094148.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_090213.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_100759.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240713_101008.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240713wa0053.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240713wa0037.jpg

Last edited by Omkar : 16th July 2024 at 08:05.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 14:13   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Accessory purchase : Barkbusters handguards
The handguards are looking great. They've certainly improved the front-on view of the bike (the Himalayan 450 looks a bit tamer from the front for an adventure bike in my opinion).
I have got Barkbusters VPS handguards installed on my Himalayan 450 as well. But I got the Honda Africa Twin specific handguards on my bike as the Himalayan 450 specific ones were not available back in April, 2024.

Quote:
@aviator1101 - were you able to retain the handlebar end weights with the stock bolts provided with BB backbone ? I'm running the tapered handlebar backbone and had to sacrifice the bar end weights hence wondering.
I had to remove the stock bar-end weights too as the bolts weren't long enough to accommodate the Barkbusters. I'll have to source longer bolts now.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240501_1728402.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240501_1728232.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240501_170349.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240501_170343.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240501_170316.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:57   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
All credits to Surjaonwheelz for helping with finding the right rain gear without which this ride would have not happened.
What rain gear are you using? I'm always on the lookout for a pair of rain pants that don't end up making me look like I lost bladder control.
Old 14th July 2024, 18:19   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

Not so positive:
- absolutely and totally lacks any low end and behaves like the 390. Had to drop to first gear almost every single time there was a climb esp on a hair pin. Was extremely irritating. FuelXPro, if it does fix things, is a must. Am not convinced yet based on the charts since I feel it improves things only post 3200rpm. Guess I need to find someone who has it installed and ride his bike to get a real world feel. Heard it fixes the vibes a bit as well given that the engine knocks much less at lower rpm.
Has anyone tried re-sprocketing before FuelX? It has done wonders for the low end on my D390.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 18:24   #748
BHPian

Today was casually going through "Minor maintenance tips" in the user manual. Saw something interesting about clutch free play. The recommend play is between 9-11 mm. I vividly remember even without measuring that was not the case with my bike. So, took out a measuring tape and measured it. To my horror the free play reading was 34 mm.

Immediately got my tool kit out and adjusted it to somewhere at the 11mm mark. This is frankly horrifying and poor QC from RE. I rarely use the clutch as most of my rides are on 6 lane highways.

Placed the tape edge to edge for proper measurement:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240714_182009.jpg

Correct freeplay as per user manual: 9-11 mm
Measured freeplay in my bike: 34 mm. 24 mm more than the recommended value.

Strongly recommend everyone to check their clutch freeplay. Now the effects of too much freeplay can be debated at length. But one can never be too careful especially with a brand new bike.

Last edited by true_sedan : 14th July 2024 at 18:38.
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 19:25   #749
Senior - BHPian

I've booked a Hanle Black (My first choice was Kaza Brown). Booked on 22nd June and the bike arrived on 1st July. However I was still smiling just got back home so I'll do the payment next week and take delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Btw, I see they still retained the useless saree guard. Well, there's another half a kilo off the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The saree guard is a legal requirement during homologation.
Absolutely ridiculous rule. Needs to be scrapped.

Firstly sitting sideways on any bike or scooter is dangerous.

Secondly.....
Quote:
I'm curios as to who would take someone donned in a saree for a ride on an adventure bike?
Quote:
Take it off and use it for bbq parties
Not sure if it will perform well at this task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Can the following be removed to reduce weight?
- Metal structure around the tank
- Main Stand
- Luggage rack at the back
- Saree Guard

How much would each of these weigh??

Anything else which can be removed easily without affecting the city usage of the bike?
Check out Abhinav Bhat's video.

Quote:
I'm curious about the RE original foglights, as Honda just launched a pair for the CB 350 and they're good.
Most people are installing Maddog Alpha. I'm sure there's got to be a cheaper alternative from the parts bin of some other bike.

Quote:
For the bash plate I have ordered the rally one with integrated crash guard, at around 8000+.
This is what I have also asked for. Seems to be worth the price.

Quote:
The Speedo Console seems quite prone to scratches and I am wondering if any of you found Tempered Glass or Screen Guards for it yet ?
Someone has installed Nikavi.

[quote=techfreak;5704268]
I have installed a Baja Squadron Pro light with 4 levels of intensity control set at 20%, 40%, 70% & 100% respectively. 10% is the default & comes on every time the bike is started. The rest can be selected as required. In the thick early morning fog, they were my saviours (not using any yellow filter or else they would be more effective). Unlike other aux lights, there was a clearly focused beam from the top two LEDS and a wide swathe of light from the lower two LEDS illuminating from close to the bike to about 150-250 m ahead where I could see even a dog moving at the farthest. I would say paisa vasool.
How much did these cost and where did you get them from.

Quote:
I need to install a pannier rack so that I get the Dirtsack Core 30 panniers.
This is something I plan to do. If the get the panniers and Top Box at a decent discount, I may buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Finally my bike is here.
Congratulations and thanks for connecting me with the NCR riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
Next up was a tubeless conversion
How did you do it? What sealant did you use?

Quote:
The other add-ons are a set of crash protection and a better bash plate from Mototorque. RE options were preferred but the local dealer was only getting one or two units a month and those were going away fast.
I'm sure there will be a lot of used ones in the market after the chassis cracking incidents.

Quote:
What's next? Maybe Fuel X Pro+
Quote:
A very good upgrade is the FuelX at Race Dynamics. The low end power is better, and bike runs smoother now. Cost to pocket: Rs 11,500.
Everyone is recommending this and reviews are good. I'm more inclined to getting a remap. Checked with a guy who has done one 100 Interceptors. Hopefully he will be able to do my Himalayan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Looking for recommendation on going tubeless. What is better - Way2Speed or Outex? (cost aside). Also, can someone suggest a competent place in NCR where I can get it done?
I was thinking of just buying a few tubes of black silicon and applying it just like the Way2Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Have rented this bike today in Delhi to ride to the hills.
It's got private registration. How did they rent it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

As someone said on one of the YT influencer videos, these RE behave more like a Lifestyle company than a motorcycle manufacturer.
Earlier no one used to buy Enfields except in the villages and a few hardcore bikers.
I remember during my school days, a lot of foreign tourists used to roam around on them and sell them before the left. Local guys would buy them and modify to use as lifestyle bikes. RE also realised there was a potential is pitching their bikes as lifestyle bikes. After that they turned around from the brink of bankruptcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Bought a set of Barkbusters hand guards. These are known to be amongst the best in quality, however there were none specific to the Himalayan 450 available in the existing inventory.
True but is the price justified? The stock RE one are really not bad at all.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 11:01   #750
Senior - BHPian

I have the Squadron Pro Sports at Rs 25,000. Yours must be Rs 40,000 (Do you have a pic? It seems new model has come in black box now). I didn't get the intensity control, (though in Bengaluru cops are putting chalan on fog lights now, and not sure if reducing intensity helps)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I have installed a Baja Squadron Pro light with 4 levels of intensity control set at 20%, 40%, 70% & 100% respectively. 10% is the default & comes on every time the bike is started. The rest can be selected as required. In the thick early morning fog, they were my saviours (not using any yellow filter or else they would be more effective). Unlike other aux lights, there was a clearly focused beam from the top two LEDS and a wide swathe of light from the lower two LEDS illuminating from close to the bike to about 150-250 m ahead where I could see even a dog moving at the farthest. I would say.

Last edited by Sebring : 15th July 2024 at 11:02.

Most Viewed