Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2024, 16:28   #721
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Is anyone else having a lot of problem with the analog input for the bike in the rain? My input stops working frequently, and also often is giving ghost inputs without me touching it. Have seen the trip meter just reset itself!

This has rendered the maps, music etc basically useless.

More worryingly, today I was unavailable to use the mode button. Super rainy day in Mumbai so I thought I’d put it in performance eco mode just to see how it is, found myself unable to change modes back to normal.

Apparently the part can be replaced in warranty.
Shur'tugal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 18:00   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
Is anyone else having a lot of problem with the analog input for the bike in the rain? My input stops working frequently, and also often is giving ghost inputs without me touching it. Have seen the trip meter just reset itself!

More worryingly, today I was unavailable to use the mode button. Super rainy day in Mumbai so I thought I’d put it in performance eco mode just to see how it is, found myself unable to change modes back to normal.

Apparently a gentlemen on this thread posted a similar issue after washing. I reckon excessive water ingress causes poor contacts inside switchgear causing it to not be operative. I'd suggest, before replacing, try the clear the water out using an air jet (thorough air jet of the switchgear crevices, ignition lock and the periphery assy, especially the exposed backside of the dash console itself. Observe if it helps. If it still is erratic and acting haywire, would recommend you to press for a replacement under warranty. But do try this and do keep your observations posted.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 8th July 2024 at 18:01.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 22:06   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Apparently a gentlemen on this thread posted a similar issue after washing. I reckon excessive water ingress causes poor contacts inside switchgear causing it to not be operative. I'd suggest, before replacing, try the clear the water out using an air jet (thorough air jet of the switchgear crevices, ignition lock and the periphery assy, especially the exposed backside of the dash console itself. Observe if it helps. If it still is erratic and acting haywire, would recommend you to press for a replacement under warranty. But do try this and do keep your observations posted.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks for the tip, someone on YouTube suggested something similar (hairdryer). Either way, temporary fixes. It rains everyday in this season. Poorly designed part. Hopefully the updated one is better.
Shur'tugal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 07:54   #724

Quote:

I recently had that issue after riding in heavy rain for 7-8 hours in my NH6 trip. What the SC guys did is just opened up the switchgear unit, sprayed some WD-40 and voila everything works normally. This happens due to water residue drying up in between the contact patches
Old 9th July 2024, 12:48   #725
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone else having a lot of problem with the analog input for the bike in the rain?
I have started using these plastic covers on my switches. I have not used anything like this earlier on my bikes/scooters, but after I saw my friends' brand new Vstrom 250 have issues with the kill switch due to rain. I decided prevention is better than cure.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-whatsapp-image-20240709-12.41.59.jpeg  

t18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:10   #726
Senior - BHPian

I shopped abroad for this bracelet that goes on the handlebar and gives me USB-A and USB-C at the fingertip. Knowing the wiring issues/water ingress issues, have decided not to fix it to the Himalayan.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_0231.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th July 2024 at 19:34. Reason: Minor typo
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 19:01   #727
BHPian

Accessory purchase : Barkbusters handguards

I have been waiting since long for the OEM accessories like the tubeless spoked wheels and hand guards, and finally gave up.

Bought a set of Barkbusters hand guards. These are known to be amongst the best in quality, however there were none specific to the Himalayan 450 available in the existing inventory.

Trying to adjust other model-specific or universal ones at times leave very little gap between the fitment and hydraulic brake lines or cables, which is very crucial in case of a fall.

However, when Barkbusters introduced the BHG 119 specific to REH450, I decided to go ahead with the purchase.

This set alongwith the VPS fibre guards cost me ₹12,600.00 which by no means is VFM but being a safety related accessory, I decided not to compromise.

An hour long DIY and the handguards were fitted.
And yes, they do augment the big bike look of Bagheera.

Attaching a few pics of the fitment and the final look.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115400.jpg
LHS : adequate clearance from the clutch lever.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115349.jpg
RHS : adequate clearance from the brake lever.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115418.jpg
The aluminum rib is actually very sturdy and gives a robust look.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115409.jpg
The fibre handguards with extended wind/weather deflectors will do a good job in monsoon and winters.
The OEM handlebar end weights could be retained at both ends due to similarity in size.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115210.jpg
The attachments squeeze in snugly between the existing cables and pipelines.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115140.jpg
RHS : adequate clearance between the attachments and the hydraulic pipelines, especially near the banjo union.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115228.jpg
LHS : much easier to fit, adequate clearance here too.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707112920.jpg
Perfectly aligned. Looks apart, they are indeed practical and add to the safety quotient.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240707115533.jpg
The final outcome. 😎
(Please don't ignore Brownie in the background)
aviator1101 is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 22:33   #728
BHPian

@aviator1101 - were you able to retain the handlebar end weights with the stock bolts provided with BB backbone ? I'm running the tapered handlebar backbone and had to sacrifice the bar end weights hence wondering.

On a different note: I removed the resonator box past weekend and replaced it with a straight pipe. Its fortunately a single straight pipe with no weldings at any place hence the sound felt better than those with welds, perhaps the welds affect the resonance/sound frequency.
Its definitely not too loud but it will get attention from nearby people when the motor is pushed beyond 4k rpm. Ride in higher gears when you spot any trouble and your wallet with thank you!
When you throttle hard, the sound of air intake (I'm using way2speed) combined with bassy exhaust sync with each other and make a nice melody that's full of punch and not unpleasant.
There wasn't any noticeable loss in low-end torque but the character of engine has changed somewhat where it feels a bit more lively. I am already running FuelX Pro along with aftermarket airintake so that adda to the changes. Since it's not a Decat but rather a de-resonate so the back-pressure diff isn't significant.

Since the changes essentially have made it closer to a stage 2 bike, so I also went ahead and filled up LiquiMoly 10w40 into it along with one Mos2 shooter. We flushed the stock LiquidGun before it. While draining the LiquidGun (which had only done 1000kms), it felt like an oil that has seen several thousand kms already. Even the strainers magnet had lots of black deposits on them, it kind of makes me wonder if the first service had oil change done or not.
Anyways, the engine surely feels lot smoother than it did with Stock Oil. It feels lot less strained on higher revs.

Last and perhaps the only mod remaining on my Himalayan is PowerTronics piggyback ECU (except the tubeless conversion and upcoming 49T sprocket). Its finally available now and I had almost pulled the trigger for installation but I'm uncertain about ROI if I'm not riding beyond 7k rpm. I wonder about its positives in 0-6k rpm. If anyone wants to shed any light about their previous experience with PowerTronics.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 9th July 2024 at 22:50.
rishi.roger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:08   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Accessory purchase : Barkbusters handguards
As per the literature provided along with the handguard by Barkbuster the left and right needs different size spacers which in turn will require replacement with the provided Barkbuster end weight. I have installed the handguard exactly as per the document and it fits perfectly. I am surprised that the RE end weight also works.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-48595.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th July 2024 at 14:47. Reason: Quote tags.
adnaps is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:31   #730
Senior - BHPian

Nice. What do you opine about the Barkbusters hand grip?
Quote:
[b]Accessory purchase : Barkbusters handguards
Old 10th July 2024, 14:39   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
I have started using these plastic covers on my switches. I have not used anything like this earlier on my bikes/scooters, but after I saw my friends' brand new Vstrom 250 have issues with the kill switch due to rain. I decided prevention is better than cure.
Was there a Himalayan 450 that had these problems? If no, it seems counter intuitive to do something like this. If this is indeed a problem that is occuring, it is clearly a manufacting/design defect and RE needs to know so that they find a solution. If all of us put covers/raincoats, the warranty periods will elapse and these will be expensive problems to fix ourselves.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 15:51   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My input stops working frequently, and also often is giving ghost inputs without me touching it. Have seen the trip meter just reset itself!

The LH switch on my bike was replaced 2 times under 1500 KM here.
The bike is parked in a covered parking with a cover on all the time!

On the other than my old Bajaj is left in the open with rain, sand, wind and what not! those switches still work without a hiccup!
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:04   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Nice. What do you opine about the Barkbusters hand grip?
I'm skeptical. The youtuber claims 30% reduction in vibration levels. But the dissipated vibrations should go through somewhere, if not the barkbuster hand grip. The material difference is that it is made of rubber. By this logic a good padded gloves should significantly reduce the vibration. And it's non-invasive to the bike too. This is one purchase I'll hold off on until statistics are large enough to prove its useful beyond doubt.

Quote:
This set alongwith the VPS fibre guards cost me ₹12,600.00 which by no means is VFM but being a safety related accessory, I decided not to compromise.
Where did you get this done for such a low price? This may not sound VFM to you. But I'm not able to find this for anything less than 14000 rupees.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2024 at 17:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 08:47   #734
BHPian

Everytime, after riding bike in city for 10-20 kms, I feel my right hand become numb. Anyone else facing this scenario and any possible suggestion for this issue? Any handlebar grips will solve this issue?
Old 11th July 2024, 14:52   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
Everytime, after riding bike in city for 10-20 kms, I feel my right hand become numb. Anyone else facing this scenario and any possible suggestion for this issue? Any handlebar grips will solve this issue?
Grip puppies! These give a soft cushion and increases the dia of the throttle grip. You can grip it effectively and the twisting force on the throttle reduces. I'm using it on my Interceptor, my friends are using it on their Tiger 800, VStrom 250SX but we still couldn't convince Nilesh5417 to install it on his Himmy!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks