Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2024, 05:23   #691
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To me the question is which other ADV will I add to my garage alongside the Tiger 800 XRX that I already own. And which will be my choice of steed over a bad patch or pure off -road trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wait for the new Adventure 390 (or in whatever guise/s they launch it) before you decide on your rough small cheap basher.
I was gonna suggest exactly what ebonho did. From whatever teasers we’re seeing, I am hopeful that the all new 390A will be an incredible machine. You’ve got a lovely bike in the garage so there’s no particular rush. Enjoy it exclusively for now before two bikes vie for your limited (spare) time and attention.

One hopes the all new 390A should be at least visible to us by some time later this year.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 08:10   #692
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the make of the wheels as I have not seen the bike in person, but the Himalayan 450 launched here in Japan does come with tubeless rims and tires on the 'Premium' version. Of course the Kamet White comes with black rims and the Hanle Black comes with gold rims. Just posting a translated screengrab from the RE Japan website.

Name:  Screenshot 20240629 113627.png
Views: 278
Size:  27.9 KB

Last edited by Viju : 29th June 2024 at 08:12.
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 09:00   #693
BHPian

One of the major pain point that I have with my Himmy now (1700km, 2.5months) is the wierd positioning of the gear lever. Somehow it is slightly at higher position compared to foot peg. I am not able to rest by left foot straight while riding. The angle causes some pain in my ankle joint. I have to always ride with my forefoot under gear lever. Issue is more prominent when I sit close to tank.

Anyone facing same issue and knows solution for this?

Last edited by tech_rider : 29th June 2024 at 09:03.
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 10:14   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
One of the major pain point that I have with my Himmy now (1700km, 2.5months) is the wierd positioning of the gear lever. Somehow it is slightly at higher position compared to foot peg. I am not able to rest by left foot straight while riding. The angle causes some pain in my ankle joint. I have to always ride with my forefoot under gear lever. Issue is more prominent when I sit close to tank.

Most bikes have a height/angle adjustment for the gear lever. Try adjusting it to your preferred position.
b16h22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 12:15   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Not sure about the make of the wheels as I have not seen the bike in person, but the Himalayan 450 launched here in Japan does come with tubeless rims and tires on the 'Premium' version. Of course the Kamet White comes with black rims and the Hanle Black comes with gold rims. Just posting a translated screengrab from the RE Japan website.

They are unable to get the Cross Spoked Wheels Homologated in India. Unfortunately, there is no ETA about it.
I am wondering if the process of homologation takes so long for real, like few years ? Himalayan 450 has been in the works from a very long time, which makes me question about the delay.
It's possible RE has been busy with other variants that are likely to generate more sales and revenue.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 12:21   #696
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
They are unable to get the Cross Spoked Wheels Homologated in India. Unfortunately, there is no ETA about it.
I am wondering if the process of homologation takes so long for real, like few years ? Himalayan 450 has been in the works from a very long time, which makes me question about the delay.
It's possible RE has been busy with other variants that are likely to generate more sales and revenue.
It could simply be one or more of the requirements of the homologation the vendor manufacturers are unable or unwilling to comply with (in terms of changes to the current wheel) for the numbers RE is likely to order.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th June 2024, 12:32   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It could simply be one or more of the requirements of the homologation the vendor manufacturers are unable or unwilling to comply with (in terms of changes to the current wheel) for the numbers RE is likely to order.

Cheers, Doc
Is it practically possible for an individual in India to import the wheels for personal usage ? Or there are strict legal regulations even for personal usage ?
Since the wheels are not manufactured locally in India (seems that its being made by some european firm), the cost difference between RE importing and selling them and procuring them self would be not too huge, no ?
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 12:54   #698
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Is it practically possible for an individual in India to import the wheels for personal usage ? Or there are strict legal regulations even for personal usage ?
Since the wheels are not manufactured locally in India (seems that its being made by some european firm), the cost difference between RE importing and selling them and procuring them self would be not too huge, no ?
You could definitely bring them in on a plane and use them. I am pretty sure it would be illegal per some RTO law though. Wheels are an integral part of a registered vehicle. Even aftermarket carriers are illegal. So wheels, definitely. But in the real world, till they start making a nuisance like loud silencers, I doubt anyone is going to notice or check.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 13:59   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Gear lever position like brake lever and clutch lever can be adjusted for individual height. Most RE bikes have these adjusted at the worse possible angle. Getting these three adjusted makes significant difference in usability and comfort. Your local mechanic can help, it hardly takes 5 mins. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 16:19   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Most bikes have a height/angle adjustment for the gear lever. Try adjusting it to your preferred position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Gear lever position like brake lever and clutch lever can be adjusted for individual height. Your local mechanic can help, it hardly takes 5 mins. Good luck.!
VJ
Thank you. This got adjusted today afternoon with help of a local mechanic. I didn't know it was a simple adjustment with just one Allen key. I didn't check yet, but I believe one of the Allen keys in bike's tool box should be suffice for this. Now I know how to experiment on this, when I feel adjust is required further.

I think RE might have considered this angle by assuming riders will always wear high heel boots.

For those who are wondering how to do it, we need to unscrew this top Allen bolt marked in blue circle. Pull out the lever and insert it back with prefered angle. Then insert the bolt back and tighten.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-psx_20240630_162152.jpg

Last edited by tech_rider : 30th June 2024 at 16:26.
tech_rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 18:41   #701
BHPian

I reached out to Race Factory for getting a Custom Made CNC Cut SS 49T Sprocket. They're charging ~4,000 INR which includes delivery but it takes some time as it's made to order basis.

I was advised that ideally this Larger Sprocket should fit with the stock drivechain but they have had 2-5% cases where the owners found that their chain was too new and didn't have enough length.
I haven't played with changing sprocketing in past so I would like to check with those that have. Do you think the level of adjustment available on the Chain Tensioners/Rear Axle or SwingArm Adjuster Nuts should be enough to accomodate 2 Extra set of teeth ?

In case of Abhinav Bhatt (The only video currently out there about Sprocket change) - he rides his motorbike hard on trails, etc. This likely must have stretched his stock chain enough to make it an easy fit. Mine has done just 1500km so far and I haven't yet started with off-road.
I will get the sprocket delivered for sure and I might just sit on it if it doesn't fit until there's an opportunity to tigthen the chain slack perhaps in future.

For now, there's some relief on the low-end with the help of FuelX Pro+ and Way2Speed AirFilter. I had it done from SpeedMonks (Mr. Ajay there did an excellent job not only with the cable management of FuelX but also other accessory cables).

I haven't had the chance to change maps on the FuelX (it's the stock map), but the difference it has brought it quite noticeable. Contrary to my previous belief that it's not going to be worth the money. I will play around with more aggressive maps soon.

The differences are quite noticeable in the aspect where the motor pulls cleanly from ~2800 to all the way upto the Redline with noticeable reduction in engine harshness and buzz. With the stock bike/AFR, you'd notice knocking when you try to pull from below 3k rpm in taller gears like 4/5/6 ,but this changes that story.
Removal of the resonator box could add some additional headroom in the top-end, but I am uncertain if that removal will be counter-productive to the bottom-end torque or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240629_144540.jpg  

Last edited by rishi.roger : 30th June 2024 at 18:48.
rishi.roger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 19:26   #702
BHPian

I gave my bike for water wash today at nearby washing center. My horm seems not working afterwards. Now I have to take bike to service center 25km away.

When giving bike for washing, be careful guys.
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 19:34   #703
BHPian

Quote:
I gave my bike for water wash today at nearby washing center. My horm seems not working afterwards. Now I have to take bike to service center 25km away.

When giving bike for washing, be careful guys.
Washing in general is not an issue, it is the intensity of the pressure wash that can be damaging, in addition to which part of the automobile you're spraying the water on.
I have been washing my bikes from long, using my Worx Hydroshot and it never gave an issue. Pressure equivalent to garden hoses are fine in my opinion.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 21:56   #704

RE seems to be proactively replacing the steering stem fasteners as a technical replacement. Got them replaced today at Bolt Motors, Hyderabad.

Similar replacement for electrical wiring, considering recent developments, would be much welcomed.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-inshot_20240630_214924337.jpg
berserk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 09:58   #705
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The 5200 marine sealant will be better till the life of the rim. The tape will come out one day. But the added weight might need wheel balancing, which many are skipping.
I did my tubeless conversion with 3M 5200 and have done about 5000km in 45 degree to sub-zero temperatures over 6 months and it's doing just fine.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2024 at 18:39. Reason: Please avoid SMS/texting language. Thank you!
techfreak is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks