Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2024, 22:27   #631
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Successfully installed Fuel X Pro+ in my 452. Removed the airbox to reach the lambda sensor. RE has really made it hard to reach it. Was able to locate the sensor without having to remove the airbox. But was unable to find a proper way to disconnect the connector and route the fuelX harness. So, took the tough way by removing the airbox to one side as per the instructions given in the fuelX website. I would strongly urge those interested in installing fuelX to seek professional help if they don't have any DIY experience. Because removing the air hose and putting it back was really a pain in the behind.

Lambda sensor in full view with the airbox moved to one side:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240607_160209.jpg
The length of the airhose is short and was difficult to get off and put it back.

The two harnesses' routed to the fuelX device placed on the battery and secured to the positive terminal wire:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240607_183327.jpg

The culmination of three hours of effort of removing the tank, removing the airbox, installing fuelX and putting them all back together:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240608_144906.jpg

Tools required: Hex bit sizes 4 and 5, Hex socket sizes 8 and 10, a nose plier

First impressions with fuelX pro at setting 8:
1) The engine runs much cooler. The radiator fan doesn't turn ON much often like it used to do in heavy traffic.
2) The bike has become smoother across the rev range.
3) Bike has become snappier after 3000 RPM. Twist open the throttle and the bike responds instantly.
4) No noticeable improvement in performance. But that's expected as this is a fuel tuner and not a performance one.

Overall the combination of way2speed airfilter and fuelX pro has made the bike much smoother and snappier throughout the rev range.

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 23:33   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Update about an issue........ check egine light popped up showing 'Error in selected ride mode' on the instrument cluster...... They could get rid of the error code finally, went for a short test ride and the bike started running normally with throttle response and RPMs restored. Upon enquiring about the reason for the error, all they could say was that water must have seeped into the istrument cluster and led to faulty error message...
The issue has come back again. The bike ran well for the first 60KMs today after the service center visit apparently fixed the issue. But, the same error has popped up now with RPM maxing out at 4500. I will be visiting the service center again in a day or two.
Old 10th June 2024, 17:57   #633
BHPian

Quote:
The issue has come back again. The bike ran well for the first 60KMs today after the service center visit apparently fixed the issue. But, the same error has popped up now with RPM maxing out at 4500. I will be visiting the service center again in a day or two.
I guessed it might pop up again from your previous post of what RE did to clear them. Clearing up fault codes is like ripping off a band aid from a wound and claiming that it is healed. There are various types of fault codes. Of them two types are the most important.

1) Persistent fault codes: These fault codes will not disappear no matter how many times you clear them.

2) Intermittent: These fault codes can be cleared but will pop up again once the fault conditions are met.

What your bike has could be the second type. The service center did all types of jugaad to clear the fault codes but they never got to the source of the issue is what I feel. This rant is from experience scanning my Volkswagen with an OBD scanner. Please take it with a pinch of salt.
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 18:00   #634
Senior - BHPian

Some more light on the chassis breaking incidents
https://www.cartoq.com/car-news/roya...ent-incidents/
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebring : 10th June 2024 at 18:01.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 18:47   #635
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Some more light on the chassis breaking incidents
There is no further light or anything new mentioned in the link. In fact the first bike was not Bangalore but Assam.

Cheers, Doc
Old 10th June 2024, 21:40   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
Overall the combination of way2speed airfilter and fuelX pro has made the bike much smoother and snappier throughout the rev range.
Cheers!
Are you also planning on cat delete?
Old 10th June 2024, 23:04   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Are you also planning on cat delete?
Once I'm confident that I won't require that warranty, I'll do it. Until then it will be removing the airfilter and fuelX pro before I hand over my bike for service.
Old 11th June 2024, 11:38   #638
Senior - BHPian

As per them the bikes are from Karnataka and TN, I didnt know that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There is no further light or anything new mentioned in the link. In fact the first bike was not Bangalore but Assam.
Old 11th June 2024, 12:08   #639
Senior - BHPian

Himalayan 450 riders - A noob question for you!

I'm planning to rent a 450 from Delhi and travel to the hills. Given that rental bikes will have the standard windshield, and I generally ride in the 90-110 range, what helmet should I use - FF helmet without beak or MX helmet with googles ?

Suggestions/ guidance needed as I need to pack accordingly.
Old 11th June 2024, 12:14   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
what helmet should I use - FF helmet without beak or MX helmet with googles ?
Full face helmet only. you wont enjoy the ride with MX helmet and goggles, it gets too noisy + pollution etc.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 12:29   #641
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
As per them the bikes are from Karnataka and TN, I didnt know that
I'm referring to the first video that broke (pun intended) in the dark on rhe rumble strip. That was from Assam, and the guy had a similar Assamese accent.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 12:19   #642

I've got my Himmy delivered this Sunday, but the horn hasn't been working since the delivery (did PDI on thursday when the bike arrived, but forgot to check the horn, checked every other damn thing on the bike and asked them to bill the bike and other formalities). Pre-delivery the service manager tried changing the horn and the whole switch module to rectify the issue, but the issue wasn't resolved. Service manager raised a request with the RE head office about this and since it was sunday, I couldn't get the issue resolved on the same day. The service manager convinced me to take delivery of the bike after conducting a detailed PDI infront of me as per the PDI checklist and everything else turned out fine.
I was asked to visit the service centre on tuesday and was connected with the RE head office people who conducted several checks and concluded that the whole wiring harness has to be changed. They will get the wiring harness within a week and was advised to ride the bike as per my liking and not worry about anything.
What care should I take from my end?
Kindly advise
sv5lh44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 20:27   #643
BHPian

AMS oil buyers beware:

I can see amsoil doing the rounds on social media after on two wheels ben video. In the video, he has clearly used AMS oil 10W-40 with JASO MA2 and API SN certifications like the one shown below. Remember the API SN part.

Spec required by Himalayan as per user manual: 10W40 API SN JASO MA2
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himuserman.jpg

Correct AMS oil to be used is 4T performance oil which has the API SN certification:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-bestoil.jpeg
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-bestspec.jpg

Wrong AMS oil used by many in social media is Metric oil which has only API SM certification which is for motorcycles and cars made before the year 2010. That's right, the certification is 14 years old as of this writing this post. Attaching pictures of the wrong oil for Himalayan 450:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-metricphoto.jpeg
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-metricspec.jpg

My information is based on American Petroleum Institute (API) that grades the motorcycle oils. As per the institute a bike certified for API SM can use the latest API SN. But not the other way around.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-api.jpg

Source: https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...s#tab-gasoline

I don't know if the incorrect metric oil may cause harm or not. It's just a caution to potential buyers looking to buy the AMS oil for their Himalayan. Buy the 4T performance oil and not the more expensive metric oil.
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 22:38   #644
Senior - BHPian

Have rented this bike today in Delhi to ride to the hills.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240612_180045.jpg
Done about 50 kms in Delhi evening traffic. After managing a Tiger, this feels so light and agile. Absolutely flick able. But everytime I have to drop down to 1st gear and rev it for pick up. Can't lug in 2nd from 2K rpm. I miss the low end torque of the 411. But this is a better bike in so many ways.

More details post the trip. Will so get insights on whether it's a buy or just for rental
MileCruncher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 08:37   #645
BHPian

Quote:
As expected, the service center guys deleted the error messages/codes once again and asked me to come back if the issue recurs. Looks like a case where the service center wants to resolve the issue but they don't really have the means / expertise / confidence for the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks