Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2024, 08:33   #616
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
This was a nightmare for me. I own a Pixel 6 and it never connected since I received the bike in Dec23.
I had to escalate it and posted review in the Google Play store for the app. They were putting blame on Google. Finally they fixed the firmware this month, May24. Now it is connecting.
Surprisingly no one suggested me the "Forget me" option. Had you ever updated the firmware earlier?
Yes I have updated firmware earlier with help of family phone (to 11.58 when I got bike, and then to 11.59 in may first or second week when it got released). When I reported issue earlier, like you mentioned, they were blaming Google and asked me to wait till April end for Google updates. But with May security updates also issue did not fix. At last 11.59 version fixed connectivity issue. But when connected I had different issue, in RE app connection showed in some orange color. For this i created another complaint with screen recording. Forget me option was suggested for this complaint.

May be it is combination of OS patch and RE firmware patch. Not sure. If samsung phones also started working where is update cycle is less frequent, and assuming there was no OS update in may month, then issue was definitely only at RE side and they fixed it after blaming others.
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 22:42   #617
Senior - BHPian

So the BMC made its debut (Earlier, Way2Speed was the only option). My Himi is a whole lot of fun now!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_6986.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_6989.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 21:48   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
The Mad Dog lights are compatible with the RE connector with no modification.

@leavetheroad_ ( Binil??) handle on Instagram has made a short video on the same.

Do reach out to him
That was a good lead, thanks.

I went to a random accessory shop today and found a compatible connector. I still plan to use the wiring harness for the fogs but will use this port for the ignition trigger that the wiring harness needs.

This port has a 10 A fuse, so it should technically be able to power fogs directly, but I still plan to use a wiring harness to power the fogs directly from the battery but will use this port for the ignition trigger that the wiring harness needs instead of the jugaad done by installers.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-re-accessory-wire.png

Name:  Connector.png
Views: 328
Size:  676.4 KB

Apart from what @leavetheroad_ posted on Insta, i found this other video showing another connector that can be salvaged from the obd 16 to 6 pin converter to get access to a ignition powered pin.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2024 at 11:51. Reason: Inserting images inline :)
vj_v3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 21:36   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
First trip to the hills on a 2-wheeler. Will share more details on trip, bike, performance etc later.....

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_4004.jpeg

The trip: Got back today covering 1500 KMs from G.Noida to Fagu, Bir, Dharamshala and Barot Valley. Left home for Fagu with VIR north group on the 18th May. The next day me and a friend on his Africa Twin left for Bir. Spent a week at Bir then moved to Dharamshala for 5 days. From there to Barot Valley! So about 900 kms in the hills.

The bike: Like mentioned earlier, I had no prior experience to ride a bike, Himalayan 450 is my first 2-wheeler ever. I will start with the negatives first - the weight. The bike in stock form is heavy, I have added the crash guard, saddle stays. Plus, I had 2 weeks of luggage stuffed in Viaterra tailbag and Rynox saddle bags. This all made the bike more heavy. The high GC is the second negative, I mean it is good but makes all the weight concentrated towards the top. Himalayan 450 has more than enough power, I was able to keep up with big bikes in the plains. It can happily cruise at 120 kmph all day. The brakes are super! The suspension - oh boy, best part about this bike.

The first fall: So while I was still learning to ride on the hills, learning how to lean and countersteer the curves, brake before the curve, carry speed into a S-curve etc, I got a bit carried away! I was carrying more speeds on narrow roads near bilaspur bypass. On one such blind curve a full sized truck appeared and I had very little time to react. I went to left, off the tarmac and crossed the truck, all good! BUT I didn't realise I was in 3rd and had lost speed, so while coming back on the tarmac, the front wheels didn't climb up and I kissed the tarmac. I just released the handlebar, since I had full gear on, no injuries at all. The moto torque crash guard protected everything!! The truck driver came to my rescue, helped me lift the bike up. Took a deep breath and moved on.

Riding back to NCR was not easy, temperatures were at 40+ degrees cel. I had just purchased a used Alpine Bionic Mesh Jacket and few jerseys which made the weather tolerable. The return journey was uneventful and FUN, my parents had joined me in Barot Valley so all the luggage was in the car. The bike felt lighter and more chuckable. I already want to go back to the hills.

Some pictures from the trip:

Instrument cluster showing 49 degrees, actual temp was around 44-45 degrees

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3996.jpeg

Enroute to Dharamshala

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3700.jpeg

Parked outside our stay at Bir

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3662.jpeg

With the full moon

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3637.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3588.jpeg

A random ride towards Mandi

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-f7c057e3e1ba45e2964dcd31e1ac813b.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-92ca9272a33e4509b608700e89255cfa.jpeg

Chain cleaned and lubed

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3562.jpeg

Pahadi Coffee Roasters, must try when in Bir

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3543.jpeg

Sunset just before Jogender Nagar

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-82333e6197cf484a8d01b0860e47df11.jpeg

Clicked by a pillion

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-fullsizerender.jpeg

The luggage plus my tank bag

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_3421.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 23:20   #620
BHPian

No place more suited for the Himalayan than the Himalayas!

Quote:

The first fall: So while I was still learning to ride on the hills, learning how to lean and countersteer the curves, brake before the curve, carry speed into a S-curve etc, I got a bit carried away! I was carrying more speeds on narrow roads near bilaspur bypass. On one such blind curve a full sized truck appeared and I had very little time to react. I went to left, off the tarmac and crossed the truck, all good! BUT I didn't realise I was in 3rd and had lost speed, so while coming back on the tarmac, the front wheels didn't climb up and I kissed the tarmac. I just released the handlebar, since I had full gear on, no injuries at all. The moto torque crash guard protected everything!! The truck driver came to my rescue, helped me lift the bike up. Took a deep breath and moved on.
It’s good fortune that you got away with nothing worse than an embarrassing fall. Sometimes going off the road could mean going into a 100ft deep ravine. This is one of the cardinal mistakes of riding in the mountains, getting carried away or lost in the flow of cornering, and it can happen to even experienced mountain riders (sometimes even more so due to overconfidence).

Riding there, especially on roads narrow enough to be single lane, always, and I mean always, ride under the assumption that there is going to be something or someone just beyond the range of your sight. It can be a rock, grit, a massive pothole, road washed away, an animal, a villager walking, fallen tree, a tree branch sticking out into the road or, worst of all, another vehicle whose driver is also overeager. You will encounter all these, and more.

Carry no more speed than can be shed to 0 in the length of road that’s visible.

Going into a corner, especially a blind one, have your fingers on the front brake, or even drag it slightly, loading the front and ready to be pressed. It’s far better to counter-lean in the mountains, when you can’t see. I counter-lean on left hand corners, this makes sure that I can see beyond the curve further and, if there is something sticking out from the mountain wall on the left, I don’t get smacked by it.

As much as considerate riders don’t want to disturb the tranquility of mountains by blasting our horns, a quick beep before reaching an especially tight corner is acceptable etiquette. You will find mountain drivers do that, and also if there is someone coming towards that corner from the opposite side, they will beep in response. No need to constantly blare horns at every slight turn, or on wide roads, but if there is a risk, better to err on the side of caution.

And listen to your instincts. At times, while approaching a turn, you will sometimes get an uneasy feeling, for no reason you can discern. Ease off the speed and beep your horn. Who knows what the mechanism is, I can’t tell you how many times I have experienced this, and it turned out the extra caution caused by the uneasiness was warranted.

We shouldn’t be fearful, but respectful of being a very unpredictable environment. Enjoy the wonder that are the Himalaya.
ExOblivione is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 13:01   #621
BHPian

Got this side stand extender from Motourenn (bought on www.bikenbiker.com). Had wanted to get this since a while but was out of stock everywhere. This particular design has a nice grid like pattern on the bottom that should give better grip then the full plain designs. Fits well - I was concerned it may foul with the body but there is gap. However it does foul slightly with the main stand - so have to put the side stand back up gently. I noticed that adding this extender makes the bike lean a bit less to the left when side stand is on. Adding a few pictures for everyone's benefit.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240604_100434.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240604_100324.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240603_204349.jpg
heinrici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 15:59   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2611942

The trip: Got back today covering 1500 KMs from G.Noida to Fagu, Bir, Dharamshala and Barot Valley. Left home for Fagu with VIR north group on the 18th May. The next day me and a friend on his Africa Twin left for Bir. Spent a week at Bir then moved to Dharamshala for 5 days. From there to Barot Valley! So about 900 kms in the hills.
Nice travelogue! You have taken initiation into biking into the next level by straight away going on a long trip to the hills! Hope you had fun and some.

BTW saw your bike (identified by the colourful crash guards) on a vlog by 23 riders
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 11:52   #623

I bought a BS3 Himalayan and learned my lesson. I'll never ever buy a vehicle during it's first year or at least till the niggles get sorted out. I loved this gen himalayan but I'll wait for a year before I reach for my wallet.
vids2590 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 12:01   #624
Team-BHP Support

Himalayan 450 Chassis breaking

Moved to an independent new thread: Himalayan 450 Chassis Frame Breaking!! Multiple instances reported

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-fb_img_1717508962649.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2024 at 14:32.
Old 5th June 2024, 12:05   #625

Sharing my DIY experience of installation of BMC air filter and Fuelx pro+. It took a while to complete the setup but it was worth the experience.

It took some time to find out lambda sensor. Installation does not require removal of throttle unit - Race dynamics video & manual mentions about removal of throttle unit.

You need to take out tank to replace air filter and get access to lambda sensor. Lambda sensor is located on right hand side and it's inside (behind the plastic/rubbery wiring mount) the wiring mount. This was only tricky part. Wish race dynamics folks color code or number the sockets for ease of connection. Tank removal is bit challenging due to 2 pipes & 2 connectors and fuel pump connection.

Overall it was an interesting experience.

Mod Note : Please go through Team-BHP's Posting Etiquette for better post composition. Please abide by it,

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2024 at 12:32. Reason: Mod note attached.
alpha_omega is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 19:18   #626
BHPian

What a coincidence @alpha_omega!! I too had a DIY day today. Installed the way2speed air filter in my Himalayan 450. Tried to install the fuelX pro+ but failed to locate the lambda sensor. Removing the tank was easy peasy work. I went in this order: Small vaccum hose -> Large vaccum hose -> Fuel line -> Fuel pump connector -> Fuel level connector. And finally that beautiful tank came off the bike.
Use a brick or some kind of support to hold the tank while you are removing the connectors. Some level of dexterity is required to remove the vaccum hoses. Be patient and don't forcibly pry or pull or push something.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himalayan-tank-removed.jpg

I will store the airfilter safely and replace it before I take the bike for service. Warranty issues right!
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himalayan-stock-airfilter.jpg

The new way2speed airfilter. I got it from a shop in Chennai - Mr. Bullet. The owner responded to all my queries and the product was shipped the very same day.
Discalimer: I'm in no way associated with them.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himalayan-way2speed-airfilter.jpg

Certainly added some vibrancy to the all black and grey tone of the bike:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-himalayan-way2speed-installed.jpg

Took the bike on an 80 kilometre round trip. Everything felt normal. The airfilter has made the bike sound different. No noticeable difference in performance. But the primary purpose of this airfilter is to complement my fuel x pro+ setup which I will do shortly.

Cheers!

@alpha_omega: If possible, please do post some pictures of the lambda sensor and how you go to it.
true_sedan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 12:07   #627

I dont have any pictures while installing the fuelx. But i have marked the position of lambda sensor on your image. Pl note that lambda sensor connector is behind this plastic patch/mount and not visible until you pull this plastic/rubbery patch out from it's position.

Just finished 140-odd kms after mods and bike is on steroids. It's super smooth and much more responsive. Very happy with the outcome. Im riding with setting between 5-7 as per road conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-lambda-sensor.jpeg  

alpha_omega is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 20:05   #628
Senior - BHPian

Finally solved the software update issue from my Samsung S23+ at the Service Center. Procedure was something that was outlined on the forum.a.few pages earlier.

Use the forget me option in the app, uninstall the app, install it again, create account, connect to the infotainment software and voila - update worked. From V1.50 straight V1.59!

No new.features introduced but hopefully caters to stability / optimization related updates.

I was also informed that RE is proactively changing some bolt / washer on the handlebar around the cone set to resolve the knocking sound / handlebar issues people are reporting. The service advisor didn't know the details of what was changed on my bike and I didn't bother going to the mechanic since it was time for the service center to close.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 7th June 2024 at 20:10.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 12:20   #629
BHPian

Hi all, could some more experienced forum members help me in improving my off-road skills? I'm looking for more places to go ride, and schools/training centers both. Based in Mumbai.

Thank you!
Old 9th June 2024, 13:39   #630
BHPian

Update about an issue:

Odometer has crossed the 4000KMs mark and the experience has been alright so far. I am gradually starting to like the bike. Noise from the rear brake pads area has subsided to a large extent. The engine seems to have smoothened quite a bit with highway rides getting more and more comfortable.

But, last Tuesday, the check egine light popped up showing 'Error in selected ride mode' on the instrument cluster(I have never tried to change the ride mode, I like the default ride mode - 'Performance ABS On'). The error led to the engine getting to some sort of limp mode with RPM maxing out at 4500. The bike would struggle to build acceleration and the maximum speed would be around 90KMPH under full throttle in 6th gear. I took the the bike to RE service center on Friday (07.06.24). They ran diagnostics, sent the error screenshot to RE guys at the backend, swapped the instrument cluster with that of the test ride bike at the service center, reinstalled my bike's instrument cluster back on it, deleted the error codes and spent around an hour trying to diagnose and rectify the issue. They could get rid of the error code finally, went for a short test ride and the bike started running normally with throttle response and RPMs restored. Upon enquiring about the reason for the error, all they could say was that water must have seeped into the istrument cluster and led to faulty error message(I haven't really ridden in the monsoons yet, the bike has only been in a drizzle once so far!) . They said the bike has no mechanical/engine issues. In any case, I have ridden about 60KMs on the highway today and it's responding well with no lag in throttle response, so far so good.
Has anyone else faced this issue?
-Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240609_133123collage.jpg  

Last edited by espraveen : 9th June 2024 at 13:42.
espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed