Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2024, 21:10   #481
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

I rented the Himalayan 450 from twist throttle in Bangalore on Sunday. Rode it around 250 kms I have a few concerns after the test rides below in the order of issues faces:

1. Wind buffeting (fixable): The wind shield is actually detrimental for me, All it does is to channel the wind to hit my helmet, and in case you have a MX style helmet or a helmet cam mounted (which I had), you will feel the wind trying to twist your head and too much buffeting noise.

However if you keep your palm on top of the windshield it reduces 70% of the issue and is tolerable.

2. Ergonomics (fixable): I had a recent tennis injury on my right shoulder and using the throttle with somewhat extended hand cause a lot of fatigue pain in the injury. With a good handlebar/risers this is fixable.

3. Heavy (non-fixable): One of my plans is to ride NE solo if plans come to fruition, in normal roads it's fine, but if it takes a fall in the muddy/slippery area I have to be a sumo wrestler to pick it up. Also putting on main stand on slopes is difficult, however not much of an issue in level ground.

Also one can paddle the bike without much issues so that is good.

4. Minor issues (I am ok with these):
a) 2-3 times I had false neutral
b) The turn indicator sign on the console are not prominent (should at least had a seperate LED light, those little green arrows are useless) left them on by mistake (or they could have given a non-returning switch so we can blindly know if the indicator is on or off by touching it)
c) Side stand lean causes petrol leak (so maybe its not 17 Ltr tank but 16.5 Ltr)
d) Heating : not much I could feel as I was wearing base layer + riding pants
e) Vibes at around 5k rpm (which gets compensated by the purrrrr sound and the pull on 1/2 throttle on any gear )

Positives: I liked the bike through and through, It is very nimble not cumbersome at all even with its weight, super comfy seats and suspensions, blah blah blah ...

I might end up booking on by end of June ! Unless KTM ruins my plan !!
masterChief007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 21:54   #482
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
ME3 K5A6F DR1 XXXXXX

How to decode this?
You can check this old post from another thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4924749 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2024 at 02:23.
Old 22nd April 2024, 22:43   #483
BHPian

Hi, has anyone moved the panniers from their old Himalayan 411 to Himalayan 450. I check with the dealer guy, he wasn't too sure. To me they look pretty much the same. I would much rather keep the pannier when I sell my 411 then buy new ones again.

Also a couple of accessories I was interested in but haven't got any clarity on the same. Low height seat and tubeless rims. Has anyone heard anything definitive on the rims?
joshiviv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 01:07   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Hi, has anyone moved the panniers from their old Himalayan 411 to Himalayan 450.
Though I don't have any practical experience, the RE folks at Rider Mania 2023 Goa, wherein the 450 was launched there, did confirm that RE panniers of 411 will surely fit 450, just the frame needs to be changed on each bike.

Even the AugoEngina team confirmed their panniers would fit the new 450, just frame of each bike is different.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2024 at 02:24. Reason: Caps. Para spacing.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:25   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
Had downloaded all the RE model's manual to refer the identification number format.

While D stand for April, unable to figure out what is R for! Assuming it to be 2024. '

But there seems to be some gaps in that chronological order.
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:29   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Had downloaded all the RE model's manual to refer the identification number format.

While D stand for April, unable to figure out what is R for! Assuming it to be 2024. '

But there seems to be some gaps in that chronological order.
I believe this thread will help you better. Please go through all posts in first page. Letters I, O, Q, U and Z are excluded.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...e-scooter.html (Find the date of manufacture (VIN) of your motorcycle / scooter)
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:44   #487
BHPian

Had a couple of questions I was hoping more experienced members could help with:

1. Is it possible to get a no-claim bonus from old motorcycle transferred to this one? The people at my RE showroom have been confused the last two days.

2. Is there an H452 specific PDI list?

3.Has anyone tried the Viaterra 'Seaty' with the Himalayan (or any other bike)? Is it comfortable for the pillion when it is empty - and does it make the seat too high for them to climb on?
Edit: can it be mounted on the tail rack?

Last edited by Shur'tugal : 23rd April 2024 at 08:00. Reason: Missed a question
Shur'tugal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:28   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
1. Is it possible to get a no-claim bonus from old motorcycle transferred to this one? The people at my RE showroom have been confused the last two days.
Yes, its possible.

I believe you already have the NCB Certificate issued from your previous bike's Insurance company. That certificate is valid for 3 years, can be applicable to your a new policy. While buying the new bike's insurance, submit that certificate, and they'll discount the NCB accordingly.

Also, in case the new policy is already created, then too you can submit the NCB letter after few days directly to the new insurance company. In that case, the difference refund would be issued to you and additionally deducting the amount of days the new policy was in use before submitting the NCB letter.

I have done this few times, so surely its an easy thing.
pcpranav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:41   #489
BHPian

Quote:
ME3 K5A6F DR1 XXXXXX

How to decode this?
Here is a gist of my research after referring multiple team bhp pages. Had to attach a screenshot as I do not see any option to use a fixed width font.

Attachment 2598178
Attached Images

Last edited by heinrici : 23rd April 2024 at 22:44.
heinrici is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 12:31   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Though I don't have any practical experience, the RE folks at Rider Mania 2023 Goa, wherein the 450 was launched there, did confirm that RE panniers of 411 will surely fit 450, just the frame needs to be changed on each bike.

Even the AugoEngina team confirmed their panniers would fit the new 450, just frame of each bike is different.
Thanks for sharing. Now the dealer has confirmed, the RE accessories page also specifies it works on both Himalayans. But the RE support response was kind of sad and uninformed.

"In response to your email regarding whether the Himalayan 411 pannier will affect the warranty, we apologize for the inconvenience.

However, we would like to inform you that the pannier designed and manufactured for the Himalayan 411 is not compatible with the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 motorcycle. Attempting to fit the Himalayan 411 pannier on the Himalayan 450 may void your warranty."

I really expected better from them esp since the company is run by a pro-biker like Sid Lal. I hope they train their support staff better in the future.
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 13:00   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Observations after a 1460 km ride over 5 days

.[*]The bike is a mile muncher. It can easily cruise at 100-110 the whole day without breaking a sweat. In fact, it kept up comfortably with the other bike, a BMW GS 850.
Are there no vibrations from 100-110 ? I saw many reviewers saying it has vibes a lot from 90 to 110.
Its_Arkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 21:51   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Arkk View Post
Are there no vibrations from 100-110 ? I saw many reviewers saying it has vibes a lot from 90 to 110.
I have just driven about 200km in last one week, primarily as office commute on single lane road having moderate traffic. I am experiencing some kind vibration at mark of 3k rpm (every gears). I am confused about this as many people here reported this at 4k to 4.5k. I have not crossed 4k rpm yet to comment on that band.
Old 25th April 2024, 09:26   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
3.Has anyone tried the Viaterra 'Seaty' with the Himalayan (or any other bike)? Is it comfortable for the pillion when it is empty - and does it make the seat too high for them to climb on?
Edit: can it be mounted on the tail rack?
I have it on my Super Meteor 650. It's ok to carry a few small things but I can't carry anything even moderately heavy due to lack of rigidity in the structure. Also due to my bike's pillion seat being small, the Seaty moves around a bit.

It increased the seat height by an inch. Pillion riders do "feel" it but they aren't uncomfortable. Take this with a pinch of salt as the stock pillion seat on my bike is hard.

It needs to be clipped below the seat to hold it in place. Also, it maybe too long for attaching on your tail rack.
Old 25th April 2024, 09:57   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I have just driven about 200km in last one week, primarily as office commute on single lane road having moderate traffic. I am experiencing some kind vibration at mark of 3k rpm (every gears). I am confused about this as many people here reported this at 4k to 4.5k. I have not crossed 4k rpm yet to comment on that band.
Things will change post 1st service and a few more kms after that as well, the characteristic will change. That’s how engines open up.
However, the inconsistency in the himmy is nothing new there are reports of vibes at every band and that will be the constant
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 12:52   #495
BHPian

What would be a ideal polish for the Kamet white? This is my first bike with matte finish and i have little idea on the right polish for matte surfaces. Please suggest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks