Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2024, 13:54   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

I'm questioning the purpose of a seat if it lacks comfort, plain and simple. Having lost money on the VSTROM seat, I'm advising caution to others. Although TVS has recently introduced a cooler in their seat, it's so hard that nobody can sit on it comfortably. Since none of us have firsthand experience with this seat, I will reserve my comments further. Maybe RE will make it comfortable, you never know
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
1) Low seat height: 800-825 mm adjustable. Ideal for people 5'8" and lesser. I would go so far as to say that this is the best configuration for most people, even the taller ones. With low seat height there is no necessity for handlebar risers as you are already seated low. People new to adventure motorcycling will feel more at home.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 17:02   #467
Senior - BHPian

Got a screen gaurd for the H450 of a brand called Nikavi from Bafna Auto on Amazon for 298rs. Made a bit of a mess while installing - it isn't easy to align circular guards as it is with the rectangular ones for.mobile phones. Messed up the alignment to the edges thrice which ended up hurting the edges in a couple of places.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CW3FQ5NY?...p_mob_ap_share

Some things about the product -
1. Really sturdy - thick enough to last.
2. Super clear - no drop in visibility even under the summer sunlight.
3. Came with everything required to install in the package.
4. Super clear instructions incl. clearly visible images.
5. Glue is of Great quality- removed thrice yet stuck on really well.
6. Most important - perfect size.

Improvements, though minor ones -
1. Please include instructions on how to lift it off if someone with fat fingers like me messes up the alignment.
2. A small tool or a FLAP for lifting off until alignment is right, similar to those that help remove covers will be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_101816.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_101821.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_101859.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_101926.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_102017.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_102122.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_102434.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_102526.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_102657.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240414_103624.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 18:29   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk View Post
The app shows a different firmware version for me after updating it yesterday. Presumably this may be the latest version yet.

It took about 15 minutes for the update to complete. After the update, Check Engine Light stayed on and didn't disappear. It did not appear again today morning.

Attachment 2563669

Does anyone know how to reset the service due indicator ?

Completed the 500km service and the 'Service Due' indicator was overlooked. Typical RE service.
Tried to reset it manually seeing below video but didnt work for me, maybe due to updated firmware. Perhaps it may work before the update.
https://Youtu.be/GB2GebKQhHk?si=hZ627BihKP-Br9ox
My hack for the service due:
Change the display to digital;
In the settings, enable the option to show service due;
Ride the bike up to normal speed in 6th gear;
Toggle the display to show the service interval;
Hold the toggle to the left for a few seconds while riding in 6th gear.

The service interval will be reset.
I've seen and read some that say that the bike can be put into 6th while on the center stand and holding the toggle to the left but that's never worked for me.
trailsndirt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 20:56   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Got a screen gaurd for the H450 of a brand called Nikavi from Bafna Auto on Amazon for 298rs. Made a bit of a mess while installing - it isn't easy to align circular guards as it is with the rectangular ones for.mobile phones. Messed up the alignment to the edges thrice which ended up hurting the edges in a couple of places.
When I got the PPF installed on my bike, they installed the film on the console and headlight too. I asked the PPF installer how much would it cost to PPF the console, he said it is complimentary when they do the whole bike but otherwise it is 200 bucks. Very affordable and the installation is near perfect if you ask me. Would recommend going to a PPF installer for this as it is quick and easy.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 00:49   #470
Senior - BHPian

A Bike Full of Surprises. Meh, I'll give this issue a pass.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 22:46   #471
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Finally took delivery of my "Kamet" today (4+ months waiting). Nothing good to say about delivery experience. it was very hot there without AC in display area. Features were not explained to me, they said youtube has lots of videos. I also agreed on same for sake of escaping from boiling heat. Did customary Pooja there itself and took off for fun at road.

I am able to flat foot with my 177cm height. I am yet to explore features in console and seat adjustments.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240418_1519536492.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-psx_20240418_214906.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-psx_20240418_215056.jpg

I have pixel 7 with Android 14 and like many of people here I am also not able to pair phone with console. I configured system time using settings which was very difficult to navigate.

Then I went to an accessory shop to install protective gears. I got moto torque crash guard, radiator grill, top plate and reservoir guards. Planning to install foot rest and fleet track also in coming days. Some pics from accessory shop

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-psx_20240418_215744.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240418_1052144712.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240418_110240983.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240418_1056170612.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240418_1257141552.jpg

Initial impressions are below.
  • it was intimidating at first. but got used to the bike's stance after few kms. Love its sticker graphics and black and white colors.
  • Engine felt little bit rough as I was driving a Honda Dazzler for 13+ years. I believe i will get adjusted here.
  • Drove 50+km in traffic, flickability felt good, I was able to drive through some narrow gaps like my old bike.
  • Horn was definitely an upgrade over honda's meek horn.
  • it was hard to keep the bike under 4k rpm. I was able to test all the gears.
  • gearbox seemed rough to me. Lots of thuds when down shifting. I have to re-learn how to use a non Honda gearbox. any pointers to improve my skills are welcome
  • I feel lots of getting used on coming days, for usage of a non Honda bike
  • Heat in the traffic, as expected, is very high. my wife was not able to tolerate it.
  • Exaust note seemed addictive especially 3k+rpm
  • My body felt exhausted after 50+km traffic commuting.
  • Handlebar grip was not comfortable. Sometimes it gave me small pains and redness on hand. Need to search for better grip.
  • Suspension felt heavenly. Those speed breakers, used to give heavy thuds to my old bike, was like nothing in front of Showa. It glided through most of potholes and speak breakers.
  • They could have given an auto off indicator and an buzzer
  • console navigation and device supports needs some rework. hope this will be resolved over OTA
  • most of above negatives are known before committing, so not much regrets.
tech_rider is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 13:10   #472
BHPian

@Mods request you to merge this with previous post if required.

I have completed 120km so far and I got my confidence increased to ride on highway and flick in traffic. If I sit slightly crouch position, I am getting huge wind buffeting at 60km+ speed (stock visor). With helmet visor open, I feel difficult to ride in this. If I sit straight up position I dont feel this high buffeting even at 85km. I feel this could be an issue for people with lower height and riding with upp right sitting position.

So far I made one mistake of riding this bike in hot Chennai climate without shoes and I got enough burning pain on feets to make my subconscious mind not to forget shoes in future.

I have checked about gear shifting noise with showroom and service center and both place they claim sound is normal for higher cc bikes. Can other owners please confirm this? Especially when shifting from 2nd to 1st, with engine on, I hear a thud sound. I made sure clutch is engaged fully. This kind of sound was not there in my old 150cc Honda bike. May be because it was lower cc bike or because it is a Honda or both.

Last edited by tech_rider : 20th April 2024 at 13:13.
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 14:08   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I have checked about gear shifting noise with showroom and service center and both place they claim sound is normal for higher cc bikes. Can other owners please confirm this? Especially when shifting from 2nd to 1st, with engine on, I hear a thud sound. I made sure clutch is engaged fully. This kind of sound was not there in my old 150cc Honda bike. May be because it was lower cc bike or because it is a Honda or both.
It's pretty normal in big singles. Don't lose your sleep over it. You'll need to reset your baseline from the smooth Honda 150 commuter Learn to rev match while downshifting to eliminate harsh gearshifts.
b16h22 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 16:57   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
[*]console navigation and device supports needs some rework. hope this will be resolved over OTA.[/list]
Well, it seems fix is near by. Below is the reply from RE customer care for my complaint on connectivity with pixel.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-screenshot_20240420165335.png
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 14:27   #475
BHPian

I’m going deal with my MT thunder on the himmy!

What helmets are you folks using? And what windshield setup?

Might need to change my helmet too. Prospec did not really help me. Seems like ugly CR is on the cards next!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 21:17   #476
BHPian

As per latest RE March sales breakup report published at Rushlane, Himalayan 450 has more exports (2667) than domestic (2216). And Himalayan was leading exports compared to other models. Funny to see they are concentrating in export market when domestic customers are waiting for 3+ months.

Probably because not much competition in adv segment in terms of price (closest cost wise competition adv390 is close to refresh and I doubt people will be considering it at this point).

Anyway good to see RE is sold nearly 5k Himalayan last month.
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 10:08   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I’m going deal with my MT thunder on the himmy!

What helmets are you folks using? And what windshield setup?

Might need to change my helmet too. Prospec did not really help me. Seems like ugly CR is on the cards next!
I had an MT Thunder 4 SV. Might be one of the worst I've used as it was noisy and can be upwards of 65 kmph on my previous bike. On the Himalayan 450, not much better.
I've switched to LS2 FF805 and on the faster rides, the wind hits me around the upper chest and neck area quite a bit. Considering a wider windshield and may go for CR smoked version.

1st check engine light on 19th April.
My bike has clocked a little under 2000 Km. Not a lot due to work and stuff spilling into the weekends. The bike in the last month has been mostly used for office commutes on Fridays.
This time on the 19th, when fired up, the check engine warning light did not go off. After 10 minutes into the commute, shut the bike off and restarted without issues as before but the check engine light stayed lit. RE, after all, I thought. Made it to the office with no issues as such and got in touch with the service lead who suggested bringing the bike in later in the day to have a diagnostics check done but also a shortcut to reset the error. If the light came back on, I was told to bring the bike in and have a full diagnostics done.
Later in the day, when time permitted, did the shortcut method, and the check engine light did not return. On the ride home, all was fine and on the Sunday ride, no further issues it seems.
I'll be keeping an eye on this as this is the 1st time I've had to deal with a check engine warning and while the bike performed like normal, something to keep an eye on. Btw, no damage to the wiring that I could see (assuming a rodent might have been at work).

The shortcut with the bike not running:
Toggle the starter button to ignition ON (midpoint), hold the throttle wide open, and turn the ignition key on. Hold the throttle wide open for 10 seconds and let go. Turn the starter button off and turn the key off.
Turn the key back on, start the bike like normal with the starter button, and see if the check engine warning light stays on.
I repeated this twice and the warning light was gone.

If anyone has come across this, would be nice to know.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2024 at 02:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:25   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
I had an MT Thunder 4 SV. Might be one of the worst I've used as it was noisy and can be upwards of 65 kmph on my previous bike. On the Himalayan 450, not much better.
I've switched to LS2 FF805 and on the faster rides, the wind hits me around the upper chest and neck area quite a bit. Considering a wider windshield and may go for CR smoked version.
Thanks for the input, I wonder if the beaked ones will help any better in the noise?

Example : https://ls2helmetsindia.com/product/...t-white-black/

Or would they just make things worse?

The CR smoked or non smoked just feels bulky and out of the place, I'm torn between the aesthetics and functionality at this point!

After a lot of deliberation, ordered a zana type 2 guard, because that is the only relatively compact guard available on the market!
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:46   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Thanks for the input, I wonder if the beaked ones will help any better in the noise?

Example : https://ls2helmetsindia.com/product/...t-white-black/

Or would they just make things worse?

The CR smoked or non smoked just feels bulky and out of the place, I'm torn between the aesthetics and functionality at this point!

After a lot of deliberation, ordered a zana type 2 guard, because that is the only relatively compact guard available on the market!
The noise was due to bad seals between the visor and shell.
Also, most MT shells have a ram-air-type scoop on the top. The plastic that holds it closed I felt was for namesake and let in a lot thru small gaps. At the local store, I checked other MT helmets and those too had the same amount of gap between the visor and shell.

Aesthetics are different for everyone and while I don't want a bulging visor, will check if it does its intended job or just there for looks alone.
Old 22nd April 2024, 18:37   #480
BHPian

ME3 K5A6F DR1 XXXXXX

How to decode this?

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2024 at 02:23. Reason: Please use caps where needed.
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks