Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2024, 00:34   #436
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Purchased the costliest accessory for Bagheera (my Himalayan) : a pair of Gold Runway aux lights for ₹20,500.00

The performance of the stock LED headlight is very poor. Hardly anything is visible when any vehicle comes from the opposite direction. Hence, the need was felt to upgrade the lights.

Thanks to fellow bhpian techfreak for recommending these lights to me. But they are worth every penny.

The lights come with all accessories required for installation and nothing else is required to be purchased separately.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240305203413.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240305203519.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240408_001647.jpg

The box comes with a pair of aux lights, yellow filters, a pair of clamps, a wiring harness and a switch with rotary control to adjust intensity /brightness and a set of nuts, bolts and washers required for installation.

Installation is a simple DIY.
The lights were fixed to the clamps which were further fixed to the tank guard frame.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240408_001335.jpg
This is how the lamps are fixed to the frame.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240408_001425.jpg
Photo of both lamps installed on either side of the stock headlight

The performance, I must admit is beyond my expectation.

The best part is the intensity is adjustable from 10% all the way upto full (100%)
The high beam switch makes the intensity increase to 100%
Also, the horn switch activates the strobe function which is a deterrent for oncoming traffic who refuse to switch from dipper to dim.

Sharing a link of the video demonstrating the various functions of the light after installing it on Bagheera.

aviator1101 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 15:13   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Has someone here been able to work on Rear Sprocket ?
I intend to change the rear sprocket to 49 or 50 teeth to avoid frequent downshifting in city.
Preferably if some Garage near NCR that can do it for me, I'm not a grease monkey myself and I'd hate to make a mess with the abs/sensor when dismantling rear wheel.
Talk to Speed Monks https://www.speedmonks.in/ . I belive that have done this earlier on the Himalayan 450. Just check if you need to procure the sprocket or they have it.

I have got work done from them on my Himalayan 450 (FuelX Pro+, Decat pipe, Filter) and happy with their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Purchased the costliest accessory for Bagheera (my Himalayan) : a pair of Gold Runway aux lights for ₹20,500.00

============
The performance, I must admit is beyond my expectation.
Nice. I had also installed GR lights a few months back and they are worth every penny. Much much better than those HJG and others (most probably fakes) being pushed by the retailers.

I had a slide/fall on the hills where one of the lights sheared off the clamp and wires cut off, but NOTHING has happened to the light itself. Just need to get it opened and the wires soldered and it should be OK.

Just need to now rethink where these need to be re-installed on the frame (I had them installed at the lower part of the frame)

The best part is the light intensity control + that everything that is needed comes with the light.

Happy riding!
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 18:16   #438
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
April 15th from initial days and now also. Exactly 4 months after booking. As per dealer I am at waiting list 1 from March 10. Also I don't see huge numbers in monthly sales report. Hence I came up with this theory.
At last I got a call from the dealer today informing bike has arrived (Dec16 booking) and asked me to visit for payment. I went there today evening and inspected bike. Other than some blurs on silencer and obvious unpolished welding, I could not find any issues. I went ahead with payment. Opted for zero dep insurance.

Attached final split ups for everyone's reference. Bike manufacturing date shows as 4th of April. They promised to deliver by April 16th after registration. I see finally they are matching promised delivery date which was shown in the RE app, track booking.

I have requested them to try for delivery with temporary registration for choosing a number of my choice. But they said such things are not available for bikes, it is available only for cars. If i want to get number of my choice, I will have to wait for another 3-4 weeks. Since I don't see it's worth, I choose to go ahead with running series. I am not expert on this, but I don't think what they claim is true. I checked with 2 different people there but both are saying same.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240409_1114027042.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240409_1116190012.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240409_111053566.night2.jpg
tech_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 21:39   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
At . I went there today evening and inspected bike. Other than some blurs on silencer and obvious unpolished welding, I could not find any issues. I went ahead with payment. Opted for zero dep insurance.
Tech rider, congratulations on your new acquisition. The welds on the 450 are simply light years ahead and a farcry when compared to the OG Himalayan which literally were an utter eyesore and resembles of a weldling job done by an 8th grader. Simply poor quality fit, finish and chassis durability.

The 450 isn't perfect by any means but it simply has come out to be a clear cut, lessons learnt and neatly finished motorcycle by all means. Still, would I put my money on the bike right now? Not yet, not now!

Good luck

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 08:46   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
First off, congrats on the bike. I'm taking delivery of Hanle Black sometime this week.
Thank you and congratulations to you too on your new purchase.

Quote:
If you are not satisfied with the showrooms response, I would recommend you to get the registration done yourself with or without the help of an agent.
Personally I don't feel it is worth the effort to spend much time on this. For me, this is good to have, if I can get it with minimal effort. I was just looking for a number that matches with my current bike. In parivahan portal the number I am looking for is available. But showroom says that is future series. Anyways thank you very much for your points.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2024 at 08:25. Reason: Removing other member's quote & post that was erroneously merged
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 12:14   #441
Senior - BHPian

This guy has expressed a thorough understanding of the bike's characteristics. My realisations mirror his. In addition to highlighting an excellent point, (which few members on our forum would argue against), regarding the bike's 'flickability' in the city, he is emphasising the challenge posed by its wheelbase.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 14:27   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This guy has expressed a thorough understanding of the bike's characteristics. My realisations mirror his. In addition to highlighting an excellent point, (which few members on our forum would argue against), regarding the bike's 'flickability' in the city, he is emphasising the challenge posed by its wheelbase.
I didn't even have to watch more than half of this video to understand his bias towards the old Himalayan. I don't see a point in comparing a now discontinued bike against a brand new one. Let me try to address some of the negatives he mentioned in the video:

1) Lack of low end torque: The math here is simple. Either you get a powerful high revving engine or get a low end tractor with lesser power. Can't expect both in a single cylinder engine. If your goal is to do hardcore off-road, then the 411 is the winner. But most people I know buy Himalayan for highway touring. So I can understand REs intention to make it more highway friendly. Also, I strongly disagree with his judgemental behaviour about what people can do and cannot do with the 450.

2) Flickability: The answer is in the type - Adventure motorcycle. Adventure motorcycles by very nature are not meant for city joy rides. You cannot cut through traffic like say a Duke 390 or a scrambler 400x. This is the nature of an adventure motorcycle with a long wheelbase. If your daily commute is through dense erratic traffic then this is not the bike for that. Maybe you can practise and get good but it won't be fun like a street naked.

3) Top heavy: Both the 411 and 450 are top heavy. Maybe the 411 feels less so because of the low seat height. But by no means of any significant margin. I've driven the 411 extensively in Ladakh.

4) Vibrations: Again, this is very subjective. But my take is that it is a single cylinder high capacity engine. Expect some buzziness. Only a test drive will decide if you can manage it. But don't expect butter smooth performance like a twin cylinder.

By this point I understood where this video was going with him having parked his 411 proudly on the background. There is no one bike that can do it all. But this is as close as it comes for people who prefer a single bike garage.

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 15:01   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Lack of low end torque: The math here is simple. Either you get a powerful high revving engine or get a low end tractor with lesser power. ...
Exactly my point also. I don't understand why people are comparing long stroke and near square engine. This by design is meant to have balance between torque and power.

Another issue I'm hearing a lot is the weight. I also seen some videos where people are making fun of the weight. What I don't understand is, if there really don't know there are much heavier bikes in RE stable. RE did not hid the weight measurement anywhere.
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 15:47   #444
BHPian

Quote:
I But this is as close as it comes for people who prefer a single bike garage.
My thoughts exactly. Both bikes have benefits which suit different needs/type of riders. The 411 had its own charm but lacked top end grunt, which is absolutely needed for a person with a single bike garage. I have ridden both and will prefer the 452 everytime over the 411 as it is just better.

The 452 is top heavy as compared to a more refined adv like NX500 but at nearly half the price! I've clocked 2500 kms now purely within Delhi-NCR and loving it. The only issues I have faced is unexpected stalling at lower speeds and the odd starter motor failure which was fixed under warranty.

Internationally, journos have been comparing it more with the CF Moto 450MT which has a twin cyl engine with 390ADV levels of power and torque but with a slightly better off road setup with 21/18 wheels, traction control and adjustable windscreen. If it is less vibey than the 452, it just might be a better option, but definitely at a higher price point in India.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:02   #445
Senior - BHPian

The heaviness of the bike is bothering me now. I struggle to straighten it on inclines, to pull it out of parking etc. I dont have a problem with the slight buzz, it is manageable.
Old 11th April 2024, 16:40   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The heaviness of the bike is bothering me now. I struggle to straighten it on inclines, to pull it out of parking etc. I dont have a problem with the slight buzz, it is manageable.
Getting it out of the parking slot is definitely a challenge. The buzz is a bit of a bother when riding for prolonged hours, especially the handle bar. I am thinking of getting thick grips for the handle bars, perhaps it will improve things. It is not meant to corner like Marquez

Next upgrade for me will definitely be a twin cylinder ADV, hopefully the Himalayan 650 in 2025/26
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 20:23   #447
BHPian

I took a test ride of the Himalayan last week when I had gone to check out the Shotgun and was pleasantly surprised at how good the bike was in traffic despite its size. I also felt the bike is fairly flickable in spite of the bigger wheels and longer suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
The 452 is top heavy as compared to a more refined adv like NX500 but at nearly half the price!
IMO too much is made of this top heaviness. I took test ride of NX500 right after the Himalayan (with offcourse my Duke as commute in between). I did not feel that the Himalayan is much more top heavy than the NX500. There is slight advantage to NX but not as much as is being made out by youtubers. The U-turns for both also felt very similar. The NX has much smoother engine but the suspension of Himalayan is top notch - especially for our road conditions.
timuseravan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 21:16   #448
BHPian

Anyone using the prospec extension for windshield? Is it worth the penny? Or do I just buy a bigger one from carbon racing

I don’t like the look personally of CR windshield, it’s very outdated compared to the stock and the one from RE is not tall enough to make that purchase plus it’s not smoked.
Old 11th April 2024, 23:49   #449
Senior - BHPian

The taller one from RE isn't wide enough, so its useless. I'm installing ProSpec after watching Bosky's reels (BigBear), (and BEN's too). In my opinion it looks the part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Anyone using the prospec extension for windshield? Is it worth the penny? Or do I just buy a bigger one from carbon racing
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 00:55   #450
Senior - BHPian

There is one from Aadeea that is adjustable but it's pretty expensive.

https://aeedea.com/product/versatile...himalayan-450/
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks