Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 12:09   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post

My feel thus far - mechanical bits:
1. The Showa suspension is the best bit of this bike, hands down.
2. The box is slick but at times, going from 1st to 2nd, will get into neutral since the 1st service oddly)
3. The engine is held back a lot (while I only ride it in the top power mode), mostly by way of the emission norms. It seems to have 3 stages of fueling though - up to 3K RPMs, is sedate, wakes up till the speed gets to around 110 Kmph at around 5.5 to 6K RPMs, and feels like that's the most you'll get in the torque range but then, wakes up again to get the bike towards the 140 kmph.
4. The front brake was mushy in the initial rides. I had very low confidence but since the pads and disc have bedded in, they are ok. I'd have preferred a twin-disc setup for the weight but it's fine. The rear is stronger compared to most other bikes I've owned. Glad to have the ABS on the rear.
5. Heat is there which is not bad at all. The fans do kick in quite frequently in the city rides which is expected given the summer conditions.
6. Vibes are fine by me. Aside from a bit of numbness on the right hand after 2 hours of holding the throttle at high speeds, no real issues with the buzz from the pegs or the bars. I have now installed a riser to be able to stand and grip the bars better and no issues since.
2. The box is slick but at times, going from 1st to 2nd, will get into neutral since the 1st service oddly) - Any idea as to which oil they filled up with at the first service?
3. The engine is held back a lot (while I only ride it in the top power mode), mostly by way of the emission norms. It seems to have 3 stages of fueling though - up to 3K RPMs, is sedate, wakes up till the speed gets to around 110 Kmph at around 5.5 to 6K RPMs, and feels like that's the most you'll get in the torque range but then, wakes up again to get the bike towards the 140 kmph. - This should get sorted as the engine runs in more.

Ride safe, and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I have a humble question to those who have knowledgeable with RE trends. When we say first batch or first lot bike, what time period are we considering? 4 months is enough for fixing any initial niggles and to throw away that "first batch" tag?
Irrespective of brand, six months is a good timeframe for the brand to sort out all the bugs. On this front, RE has come a long way from its earlier stance from some years back of "this is common on all bullets, Saar!!!".

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st April 2024 at 12:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
anilp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 12:19   #407
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
1200 on the ODO, Experience with RE dealership, Nitpicking niggles on the 450 Hanle Black

I have been keeping an eye on this touring headlight option, over installing aux lights:
https://Youtu.be/_fpjx3NTxoE?si=md8s_RWzCpdvOsRk
Currently, they seem to be out of stock on the button to toggle the light but if anyone has used this, would love to hear the experience. Till then, stay safe, ride safe
These seem good but Isn't having the stock headlight with aux lights a better setup? My personal preference has always been adding up on existing features over replacements to OEM parts. Somehow it just gives me more peace of mind that the stock part stays on and the additional part can be removed / fixed separately as required.

But am happy to hear from others on their experience.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 13:23   #408
BHPian

The oil in question I assume is the mineral-based engine oil.
It looks the same as it did before the oil change as well.

I'm considering an option to go synthetic after another 2000 km on the odo.
trailsndirt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 13:26   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
These seem good but Isn't having the stock headlight with aux lights a better setup? My personal preference has always been adding up on existing features over replacements to OEM parts. Somehow it just gives me more peace of mind that the stock part stays on and the additional part can be removed / fixed separately as required.
Cops locally are a bit bonkers when they see aux lights. Some GS riders and Ducati MTS folks have been stopped in the past and pestered about the after market mod.
Personally, if I can keep the stock look, the better.
As it is, the stock headlight is pretty useless if the ride starts before 6 AM or after 7 PM. I'm chasing shadows to know whats there.
trailsndirt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:36   #410
BHPian

Quote:
I have been keeping an eye on this touring headlight option, over installing aux lights. Currently, they seem to be out of stock on the button to toggle the light but if anyone has used this, would love to hear the experience.
I have installed this for my other bike - Honda H'ness 350. It replaces the stock light. My experience is very good. It illuminates very well. Comes in 3 colors - the yellow color is very useful on highways with the high beam, goes a good distance.
heinrici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:39   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrici View Post
I have installed this for my other bike - Honda H'ness 350. It replaces the stock light. My experience is very good. It illuminates very well. Comes in 3 colors - the yellow color is very useful on highways with the high beam, goes a good distance.
Thanks.
Does the headlight turn on with the ignition as when stock or do you have the toggle/switch to turn it on and off?
I've held off for now as the switch seems to be out of stock.
trailsndirt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:53   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Does the headlight turn on with the ignition as when stock or do you have the toggle/switch to turn it on and off?
I've held off for now as the switch seems to be out of stock.
It comes with a on off toggle switch. I normally keep if off during the day so save some battery. Looks like it went out of stock too soon, was thinking about ordering it for my himalayan 450.
heinrici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 01:30   #413
BHPian

Ownership Update : Bagheera crosses 5000 kms

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240331133456.jpg

Second Service done

All inspections as per schedule.

Following additional activities were also carried out :-

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401161849.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401161606.jpg

Chain slack adjusted

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401160604.jpg

Engine oil (2.1 litres) was changed though it was not part of second service schedule.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401154847.jpg

When the oil was drained, it was found in very bad condition.

RE recommended oil change interval is 10000 kms. However, the condition was pretty bad even at 5000 kms, which even the technicians checked and agreed to.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401154739.jpg

Thankfully, there were no metal shavings or sludge deposition in the suction filters.

Though my bike ran mostly in hilly terrain, ie low gears, low speeds and more loads, the condition of the oil was not expected to be this bad in just an interval of 4500 kms.

After seeing the quality of the OEM liquid gun oil, even in plains and cruising on highways or normal city use, I would prefer to change the oil at max 6000-7000 kms for preserving engine health and peace of mind in the long run.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20240401154018.jpg

The footpeg rubbers also came off in view of the upcoming rides amidst onset of monsoons.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240402_002554.jpg

Total amount for second service
Service Kit = ₹ 250.00
Engine oil = ₹ 1,150.00
Total = ₹ 1,400.00

The service centre gave me a separate bill for the engine oil and the oil change wasn't entered in the service record either.

Strange ways of RE
aviator1101 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:06   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Engine oil (2.1 litres) was changed though it was not part of second service schedule.
Didn't the thought of going fully synthetic not cross your mind?
heinrici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:14   #415
Senior - BHPian

Can we use it? My friend had issues with old Himalayan using fully synth. I am not sure if mineral/semi-synth is required for the new Himalayan. Have to ask the dealership.
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:13   #416
BHPian

Fully synthetic oil discussion was happened in this thread earlier. Someone has already tried it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5722023 (Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review)
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:15   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Not for the first 10000 kms at least. For this period, the OEM recommended grade and type is best for the engine, firstly due to warranty issues and secondly semi synthetic is best for a long running in. Say what RE may, the engine still doesn't feel smooth and settled even after completing 5000 kms.

However, we may avoid comparing with the LS 411 engine because the Sherpa 450 is a modern engine, even the tolerances are tighter and levels of technology applied are unprecedented by RE or any other Indian brand's standards. The only sore point might be the bearings in longer run. Fully synthetic engine oil should work just fine with this engine.
aviator1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 21:16   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Ownership Update : Bagheera crosses 5000 kms

The service centre gave me a separate bill for the engine oil and the oil change wasn't entered in the service record either.

Strange ways of RE
Which SC do you visit to?

I'm baffled how kwality motors on Kanakapura Road managed to introduce small issues post 1st service! Which is a different talent that they posses!

(Front break feels squishier had complained about the squeaking noise
There is a new rattle from the console area
There is a heaviness introduced in the way bike handles now )

Also, the have polished Kamet white despite telling them specifically not to
bhansali_hardik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 22:04   #419
BHPian

Just curious, do any aux lamps in the market come with quick release waterproof connectors so that we can keep the rest of the wiring installed permanently and then install the lights quickly and connect the wires when we are heading out on a long ride?
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 08:02   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Which SC do you visit to?
GM Associates at Tezpur, Assam.

Only issue is that they have only one technician trained on the Himalayan. But lot of care is taken in servicing and attending to complaints, if any.

The billing was a separate issue probably because the oil change is not part of the prescribed second service schedule. Otherwise quality of work is good, I must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Just curious, do any aux lamps in the market come with quick release waterproof connectors so that we can keep the rest of the wiring installed permanently and then install the lights quickly and connect the wires when we are heading out on a long ride?
The connectors might be quick release, but uninstalling a set of lamps every now and then is not a good idea. The mounting of lights in itself is a tedious process since it involves fixing the clamps to the frame and then adjusting the focus every time you do it.

Moreover the good quality lights are IP67 rating and not affected by rains. Still, if you want to take additional care, you may put a polythene cover on the lights, but be careful not to turn them on with the cover since they heat up quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 3rd April 2024 at 08:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks