Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2024, 13:32   #391
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This new Himalayan is a smash hit. At least in Bengaluru, I spot it everywhere. Its a craze now, so I'm seeing a genuine demand. Hope they keep the price in check.
I'm not sure about huge demand part. We can see classic 350 sales trends part few months for understanding where proper demand is for RE. They are not reducing its delivery, and Himalayan sales not going up. It's always around 3k range from december. I believe March sales trend also won't show anything different.

Last edited by tech_rider : 30th March 2024 at 13:45. Reason: Fixed typo. "March sales trend"
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 13:44   #392
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Himalayan the market leader for the small adventure bikes segment? I dont have the numbers right now but how is the small BMW, the tiny VSTROM etc doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I'm not sure about huge demand part. We can see classic 350 sales trends part few months for understanding where proper demand is for RE. They are not reducing its delivery, and Himalayan sales not going up. It's always around 3k range from december. I believe March sales client also won't show anything different.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 13:53   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Isn't Himalayan the market leader for the small adventure bikes segment? I dont have the numbers right now but how is the small BMW, the tiny VSTROM etc doing?
That I agree. In small adv segment Himalayan might be leader in terms of sales. But I believe demand is not as huge as other popular RE models. This is more like a targetted segment that not everyone might like. I don't believe average sales of Himalayan would cross 3k. Just my views, I could be wrong though. Still not backing off my wait for Himalayan as I liked it better than alternatives.
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 14:50   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaslu@2028 View Post
Anyone here doing DIY chain clean for the Himalayan? Is the good old Diesel/Kerosene/WD 40 ok for cleaning the chain followed by a chain lube?
?
Yes. And yes. I would personally opt for kerosene over diesel and if you find kerosene hard to get, wd40.
My usual procedure is clean the chain with wd40 if too dirty or just brush and water if not dirty enough, wash bike, dry and then lube.
The_Medic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 15:38   #395
Senior - BHPian

Four individuals in my riding circle are among the initial owners of the new batch. The remaining members are adopting a cautious approach, observing the initial challenges with 'the new model of motorcycle' and waiting for a crucial upgrade: tubeless rims. Additionally, the significant price increase of 16 grand has caused some discontent among a few members, but I expect them to adjust to the new reality.

I am confident that in the upcoming months, the motorcycle will gain popularity and perform well in terms of sales. Personally, I have a strong affinity for this bike, and it has met my expectations so far. I maintain a moderate riding style, not pushing the engine too hard and keeping speeds within 80-90 kilometers per hour, especially given the conditions in India.
If I encounter any issues with the bike, I will share them on this forum. Stay tuned for a detailed long-term review in the coming months.
Quote:
That I agree. In small adv segment Himalayan might be leader in terms of sales. But I believe demand is not as huge as other popular RE models. This is more like a targetted segment that not everyone might like. I don't believe average sales of Himalayan would cross 3k. Just my views, I could be wrong though. Still not backing off my wait for Himalayan as I liked it better than alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_8515.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 30th March 2024 at 15:40.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 16:32   #396
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share my waiting status (dec 16th booking). On March 10 when I checked with my dealer, they said for Kamet white, I am at waiting list 1. I can expect call from dealer on any coming day. But I am still waiting for my allotment. I am still following up every week and receiving only apologies from the dealer.

I have one theory for this waiting period. They must have got around 10k booking for Himalayan by dec 31. If they had delivered all by Feb month, futher sales will be declined and various reports like two wheeler sales/growth per month will show huge decline. If they deliver only 3k per month, they could show that Himalayan has steady demand for many months. Some marketing strategy may be. I am curious to know others thoughts on same.?
What estimate you are seeing on RE app? I saw sales numbers stats on rushlane or somewhere else. Looks like they are delivering in india stocks from 1 month and exporting 1 month to other countries. There might be some quality changes between local and export I assume, so manufacturing both on same line might be a challenge and hence the monthly split Just my wild guess
Old 30th March 2024, 16:42   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
What estimate you are seeing on RE app?
April 15th from initial days and now also. Exactly 4 months after booking. As per dealer I am at waiting list 1 from March 10. Also I don't see huge numbers in monthly sales report. Hence I came up with this theory.
Old 30th March 2024, 18:01   #398
BHPian

Observations after a 1460 km ride over 5 days

Just came back from a ride to the hills of Arunachal Pradesh. Took Bagheera to it's home ground.
Total distance travelled : 1460 kms.
Mix of cruising on 4 lane and 2 lane highways, mild off-roading on broken country roads, mountain twisties, steep up slopes and down slopes, slush, gravel, unpaved rocky surface, name a thing and it was present in the recipe with mild to heavy rains as an additional topping.

A few of my observations after this extensive usage which might benefit fellow bhpians.

First the not-so-good ones:-
  • The stock headlight is very poor. In normal ambient light also, it fails to illuminate properly, it's only good for completely dark roads with no traffic from the opposite side. I have installed a set of Gold Runway X4 auxiliary lights. Will post a feedback/review on the same later.
  • The combined tail light and indicator is good for making a style statement, but the practicality is questionable. The tail/brake light is not that effective in poor visibility conditions.
  • The left hand switch cluster seems cluttered in dense traffic conditions. The left thumb keeps fumbling between the horn button, indicator and pass switch (which again is oddly positioned) even if we discount the use of the joystick. The pass switch is an ergonomic disaster, it actually requires removing the thumb/index finger to operate it.
  • The low end torque of the OG Himalayan 411 is actually missed. In fact, except the first gear, there is nothing much below 3000 rpm.
  • The tubed tyres will make you always keep your fingers crossed, especially in remote locations.
  • The OEM stock windscreen is useless, the OEM taller one is no good either. It is good only till 75-80 kmph, thereafter it fails to stop the wind buffeting effect. For my height, the deflected wind flow hits the top ot helmet and constant fluttering sound becomes very irritating after some time.
  • The engine buzz exists from 4500 onwards, however the intensity is not a deal breaker.
  • The engine is cluttery, to say the least. Even after almost 4500 kms, it feels a little rough, though there is no drop in performance or any serious unusual noise. Hoping the clutter reduces with few more thousands being added to the odo.
  • The side stand of an ADV should be such that one can swing a leg over after mounting onto pegs from one side. But this side stand makes the bike lean to such an uncomfortable angle, that one would surely hesitate to do so, more so with luggage strapped.
  • At 196 kgs, it's not a light bike at all. Moreover with a 17 litre fuel tank, it becomes top heavy especially when filled up. No doubt it's nimble on the move, but moving it around in parking lot and in tight spaces, it takes time to get used to the weight.
  • The handlebar is wide and spacious. But the height for my 5'9" frame was slightly low for saddling, a set of riders should do the magic.
  • The fuel gauge has a mind of it's own. Upto 250 kms it shows full five bars and suddenly drops to one bar within next 50 kms.

Now the good points :-
  • The engine is a gem despite all the clutter issues. The low end is not impressive, but the way it revs all the way to the redline is fantastic.
  • The engine vibes or buzz whatever you may name it are not that prominent in the rev range that you would normally use 90% of the time. On a normal day, it won't leave u with post ride tingling sensation.
  • The bike is a mile muncher. It can easily cruise at 100-110 the whole day without breaking a sweat. In fact, it kept up comfortably with the other bike, a BMW GS 850.
  • The ergonomics are spot on. Everything seems to fall in place once astride.
  • The height gives you a commanding position, though you actually sit into the bike and not atop it.
  • The suspension is the most wonderful thing that has happened to the new Himalayan. Though non adjustable, it's pre-settings work like a charm. You just stand on the pegs and the bike sails over anything.
  • The seat cushioning is just perfect. Even after 11 hours on the saddle, it doesn't give you a sore feeling. Short breaks of 2-3 minutes every 1-1.5 hours also aided to the relief.
  • Also, the size of the seat is quite large and allows you to shift around on long stretches.
  • A huge tank of 17 litres (taking 15 as usable) and mileage of around 28 in mix of all riding conditions, it give you around 400-420 kms range on a tankful which is sufficient in any corner of our country.
  • The fuel efficiency is a positive aspect I would say. It gave a min of 27/28 when ridden hard at speeds of 110+ kmph, but min 31/32 at 80-90 kmph which I would say is pretty impressive.
  • The heat management in the bike is pretty good. Even after riding at crawling speeds through slush for almost 2-3 kms at a stretch, the fan did come on only twice. Maybe the ambient temperature helped, but still it's impressive.
  • The weight is a negative at standstill, but on the move, it helps the bike stick to the road and minimizes the cross wind effect also.
  • Despite the weight, it's quite nimble in city traffic and can serve as your daily commute to the office with a pinch of salt.
  • The brakes are a 200% improvement from the previous Himalayan and the bite, especially front inspires lot of confidence.
  • The ABS works well on highways and on a couple of occasions, did what it was supposed to without fuss.
  • The stock CEAT tyres did their job well. No major complaints, though something a little more grippier on wet surfaces would have been better.

Overall, I'm happy as an owner of one of the first (December 2023) lot bikes.

No major issues till now and hope it remains that way.

Sharing a couple of photographs from the ride.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240330_175518.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240330_175839.jpg

You may read the detailed travelogue on my journey through Arunachal Pradesh here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...yan-450-a.html (Exploring Arunachal Pradesh on my Royal Enfield Himalayan 450).
aviator1101 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 20:38   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Observations after a 1460 km ride over 5 days

.[*]The combined tail light and indicator is good for making a style statement, but the practicality is questionable. The tail/brake light is not that effective in poor visibility conditions.
[*]The OEM stock windscreen is useless, the OEM taller one is no good either. It is good only till 75-80 kmph, thereafter it fails to stop the wind buffeting effect. For my height, the deflected wind flow hits the top ot helmet and constant fluttering sound becomes very irritating after some time.
[*]The stock CEAT tyres did their job well. No major complaints, though something a little more grippier on wet surfaces would have been better. [/list]
Overall, I'm happy as an owner of one of the first (December 2023) lot bikes.
Great to see the feedback on the touring screen. I had just checked it out yday and felt it wasn't wide enough, tall enough for my height. Am 5'10 so pretty much your height. You saved me 3500/-

Am also looking for a standalone stop light - let us know if you solve this issue.

The tyres though are strictly ok. I was riding back on a straight of concrete road at about 70kmph in 40deg heat and had to brake hard since a truck ahead suddenly slowed down. While the abs was spot on and modulated the stop really well, I felt the tail go light for a moment. I think the tyres are going to be an issue in the rains. But I think am going to run through them while waiting for the tubeless wheels from RE.

Happy riding - seems like that long trip got you fantastic saddle time to get to know the bike well.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 01:10   #400
BHPian

The most expensive addition till date! Got maddog alpha lights mounted today. With summers making their way, will be riding very early AM in the coming months. The stock headlights are crap and useless. Got a chance to test the lights today, on way home from Dwarka. As soon as I entered G.noida eway, lit them up and boy oh boy, the throw is just amazing!

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-b8ea92ae211a4443bd0a4fa66ced5369.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_1751.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_1753.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 21:12   #401
BHPian

1200 on the ODO, Experience with RE dealership, Nitpicking niggles on the 450 Hanle Black

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240120_022948020_ios.jpg

I guess mine was one of the 1st batch models which I took ownership in late Dec 23'. Brave but I sort of knew what I was getting into with RE and the niggles that often are found on 1st gen models or 1st batch models.
This bike has its fair share of niggles but few things right off the bat that I've not encountered which many have:
1. No issues with the head stem bolt
2. The bike does not pull to the right when I let go of the bars

The issues if any have been with the final touches when I picked the bike from the dealer in the South Bengaluru area and these were:
1. Loose bolts on the left control/mirror housing. If pushed a little, I can change the angle of the mirrors and clutch controls forward or pull them back toward me. Should have been tightened better
2. I guess the ergos are not something the dealership does well on this or other RE bikes as the right side controls were very badly pulled back where my wrists had to hold the front brakes with a lot of bend.
3. Mostly RE stuff here but connecting the mobile to the display needed the 0 and O thingy which they should have helped to get done vs. shrugs and having us figure it out.
4. They spray some polishing stuff after the service. If you are there before that's applied, stop them from doing it. It makes the bike shiny but gunky very quickly and attracts dust/dirt.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240107_044150539_ios.jpg

Later, after the 1st service the service warning would still come up when I turned the ignition on, for the first time of the day. Some options seen to put the bike in 6th, on the main stand, and holding the toggle to the left were attempted but the real solution was by these steps:
1. Display was on digital mode;
2. Have the service interval show up when toggling down through the options
3. Ride in 6th gear (the bike needed to be in motion), hold the navigation toggle to the left, and then, the service warning is finally reset.
Again, shrugs from the dealership when discussed, stating that they will talk to RE for a "solution". Not sure what but it is what it is.

Since the 1st service, I've added some bits and bobs, from RE and other solutions.
1st up was a radiator guard as I did have a small stone lodge between the vents on the O.E plastic shroud. It would have been bad if that had gotten through to the radiator.
Next up was a tubeless conversion as on the 2nd ride, I picked a screw on the rear tire very early in the morning. The tire was not able to hold any pressure and got it very slowly to a fuel station on the highway and had to call in the RE RSA which took time, given it was very early in the morning.
No scope to move the bike to any nearby shops as it was not ridable.
The RSA team was efficient and quick, once on site.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240114_050905395_ios.jpg

Post that, got the tubeless setup installed with the help of a local shop. Just a sealant vs. way2speed. This ought to be sufficient till RE gets the cross-spoked tubeless rims later in the year or in 2025.
The other add-ons are a set of crash protection and a better bash plate from Mototorque. RE options were preferred but the local dealer was only getting one or two units a month and those were going away fast.

For the long rides on the highway, I do see the need for a taller windscreen and would be looking at 3rd party options. With the stock screen, I get the wind blast on my upper chest to neck, and with RE's screen, would hit the helmet more. Maybe the taller/wider option from CarbonRacing.

Another mod/addon has been a display from Ottocast C5 Lite equivalent from OrionMotors. I had a quadlock setup from my previous bike but did have an instance where someone attempted to take the phone when I was at a traffic stop.
https://orionmotorsindia.com/product...x7-waterproof/
For that, a GPS mount was added to mimic the nav tower looks, seen on the BMW GS bikes. Some tweaks needed still to have it stay without some wobbling but better than the phone being subjected to the conditions and someone trying to snatch it.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240325_032128614_ios.jpg

My feel thus far - mechanical bits:
1. The Showa suspension is the best bit of this bike, hands down.
2. The box is slick but at times, going from 1st to 2nd, will get into neutral since the 1st service oddly)
3. The engine is held back a lot (while I only ride it in the top power mode), mostly by way of the emission norms. It seems to have 3 stages of fueling though - up to 3K RPMs, is sedate, wakes up till the speed gets to around 110 Kmph at around 5.5 to 6K RPMs, and feels like that's the most you'll get in the torque range but then, wakes up again to get the bike towards the 140 kmph.
4. The front brake was mushy in the initial rides. I had very low confidence but since the pads and disc have bedded in, they are ok. I'd have preferred a twin-disc setup for the weight but it's fine. The rear is stronger compared to most other bikes I've owned. Glad to have the ABS on the rear.
5. Heat is there which is not bad at all. The fans do kick in quite frequently in the city rides which is expected given the summer conditions.
6. Vibes are fine by me. Aside from a bit of numbness on the right hand after 2 hours of holding the throttle at high speeds, no real issues with the buzz from the pegs or the bars. I have now installed a riser to be able to stand and grip the bars better and no issues since.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_025816059_ios.jpg

At this stage, I find this bike to be very adequate for the short commutes to the office and back, those highway rides to get to the ADV, and fun places to explore where my previous bike lacked the ability. Now, I am the limiting factor, and its good to be able to learn more and be better as a rider in more varied conditions. Some snaps of where the bike has been thus far:
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20231230_013806358_ios.jpg
The bike does lean over A LOT
&
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20231230_024557013_ios.jpg
&
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240126_024437834_ios.jpg

What's next? Maybe Fuel X Pro+ but surely a taller windscreen and I have been keeping an eye on this touring headlight option, over installing aux lights:

Currently, they seem to be out of stock on the button to toggle the light but if anyone has used this, would love to hear the experience. Till then, stay safe, ride safe
trailsndirt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 22:51   #402
BHPian

I have a humble question to those who have knowledgeable with RE trends. When we say first batch or first lot bike, what time period are we considering? 4 months is enough for fixing any initial niggles and to throw away that "first batch" tag?
tech_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 02:06   #403
Senior - BHPian

Considering that the box on the Interceptor is 'Made in Japan' (That's stamped on it), wont be surprised if the Himalayan has one from the 'land of the rising sun', as well.
I would like to take a peek in there for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
2. The box is slick
Meanwhile, I picked up the touring seats from the Company Owned RE Outlet (Rs 8,400).
Am traveling, so will try that it out in 10 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-7da3906d0c614b80b37da87bfcc15809.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 1st April 2024 at 02:18.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 07:31   #404
Senior - BHPian

A Youtuber has fixed a GPS unit with Dashcam on his Himalayan, looks like a good addition. The Dashcam feature is what that has attracted my attention.

rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 09:57   #405
BHPian

1st batch would be either the initial units being assembled/made in the factory for the 1st time. Most manufacturers have a batch of say 100 to 1000 (varies between the companies), to start on the next "batch". Changes could be the basis of the initial feedback on parts or components that need changing or new suppliers.
Otherwise, it is when Gen 2 of the existing model is released, typically the following year when there might be some changes basis the supply chain or other improvements (welding, ECU programming, seat cushioning, etc).

If you see the issues with the 1st Gen 411 Himalayan and the last production batch, a lot has changed in the build and quality (aside from moving away from a carb engine to fuel-injected).
My 2 cents...
trailsndirt is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks