Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 19:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thanks- do you have a some notes from the change log? Wanted to know what is changing/ improving in the update.
Nope, I was not even aware that the tripper dash firmware update had arrived. One of the H450 owners in my area messaged me and offered to help me update my console. Since I am not able to connect my phone, there was no way I could update it myself.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 19:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage

I wouldn't connect my phone to the dash as it spoils my phone (Since it's ON all the time). I'm just using the phone maps. My next project is to design a cradle that would hold the phone right next to the console, using that spare hole in the stem. Will look seamless.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 20:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I wouldn't connect my phone to the dash as it spoils my phone (Since it's ON all the time). I'm just using the phone maps. My next project is to design a cradle that would hold the phone right next to the console, using that spare hole in the stem. Will look seamless.
When you use maps on phone, do you not keep it ON all the time too? Or only to see direction from time to time? I'm asking, because I usually mount it and set maps on even if I'm heading to a place I know.

The way I see it, if I use a phone, it's going to be ON all the time anyway. This way, I could (if I had a Himalayan), connect to the Tripper Dash (if it doesn't glitch out lol) and keep it inside my pocket where it neither gathers dust, nor does it allow the heat/cold/rain to damage it.

I'm wondering if this isn't a safer option overall...what are your thoughts?

Nonethelss, a whole bunch of CarPlay/AndroidAuto mounts are coming up in the market for motorcycles. Seems like an interesting time ahead
Old 10th January 2024, 21:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
The way I see it, if I use a phone, it's going to be ON all the time anyway. This way, I could (if I had a Himalayan), connect to the Tripper Dash (if it doesn't glitch out lol) and keep it inside my pocket where it neither gathers dust, nor does it allow the heat/cold/rain to damage it.

I'm wondering if this isn't a safer option overall...what are your thoughts
From what I have heard, when you connect your phone to the tripper dash and use navigation, the RE app locks the screen which is not the "actual" screen lock. If you do turn off the screen the conventional way, the navigation on the dash also gets switched off.

Some are anxious about draining the phone battery but RE has provided a charging port (C type) on the handlebar. Just use a magnetic tank bag to keep the phone in it and charge it.

I would use this option if I had to use Google Maps in unfamiliar territory.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 20:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Few pics from our ride this last Saturday (13th Jan).

We were 8 riders, did Kanakapura > Kollegala > Dimbam and back, totalling around 400 odd kms.

It was great to meet up and ride with some friends after a very long time.

You might see some familiar faces in the pics

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_071030.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_072103.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_072128.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_072111.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_093119.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_100452.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_105042.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_105458.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_110647.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-20240113_105248.jpg

I installed Grip Puppies on the bike and it has reduced the buzz on the handlebar quite a bit (but not completely). Got this installed at Bike n Biker, cost - INR 1900/- for the set.

Odo reading currently stands at 1500 odd kms.
n_aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 22:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Few pics from our ride this last Saturday (13th Jan).

We were 8 riders, did Kanakapura > Kollegala > Dimbam and back, totalling around 400 odd kms.

Looks like I just missed you. Crossed Dimbam on the 11th
Attached Thumbnails
Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_1728.jpeg  

TheCelestial is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

No major updates since the last ride but I do have to say that the console or the tripper dash on my bike has a mind of its own.

The clock issue is back and it intermittently changes from PM to AM even after a factory reset (firmware updated and thankfully this remains intact). I cannot tell when this happens and under what conditions.

I've heard other 450 owners that I'm in touch with complain about other issues such as misfire from the engine at 2000 rpm, excessive vibes, top nut on the handlebar getting loose, etc. and it appears that each bike has a character of its own

Check this video out:

Hope to complete 400 odd kms and more this long weekend so that the bike is not limited to the 6000 RPM mark.

I understand there are some accessories available such as the top box, bash plate and engine guard. Will drop by at one of the dealerships and check them out. Not too keen on the top box yet, happy with my RJays tail bag which works very well. Was using this on my Ninja and it was in storage the last few years as it was not compatible with the bonnie.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd January 2024 at 20:24.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 16:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I can connect my phone to the console.

Last week, I received the Android Security patch update on my OnePlus Nord CE 5G and was able to connect the phone to the tripper dash.

Navigation works pretty well but I did observe that the phone tends to heat up pretty quickly. Since the data is "cast" onto the console, it eats up the phone battery quite fast as well.

Solution for this is to place the phone in the tank bag and connect it to the charging port on the handlebar or connect it to a power bank. The charging port output is rated at 2A and no fast charging is provided.

However, issue with the clock time format still exists. Have to get this checked with the RE ASC sometime. Now that the phone connects to the console, the clock on the dash immediately syncs to the time and clock format and setting on my phone and app. This avoids the trouble of using the joystick to adjust the setting to my preference.

Another minor issue with the RE app is using the Spotify app which RE provides. Every time I try and open the Spotify app, I get this error:

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-1.jpg

I already have the Spotify app installed and thankfully can control the playback using my Sena headset.

But when I click "Get app", this is the error:

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-2.jpg

Anyone else having issues with this and found a workaround?
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 20:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Did a ride to Mavanuru Malleshwara Betta last weekend but couldn't get around posting any pics or videos from the ride.

Here are a couple of snaps and a feeble/amateur attempt at making a video using the free Microsoft Clipchamp app on Windows.

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240303_100751.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240303_101252.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240303_143627.jpg

n_aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 19:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Version 11.58 update is out.

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-1.jpeg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-2.jpeg

Just installed it on my bike.

As with the previous update, the CEL came ON and stayed on for a few kms and disappeared on its own when I turned off the bike and turned it on again.

However, a new icon is visible on the tripper dash.

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-3.jpeg

If this is to indicate daytime, there is no icon to indicate sundown . RE has not provided any documentation as usual, on what has changed with the 11.58 update.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 20:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Been a while since I updated my ownership thread so here goes.

I was hearing a metallic clatter from the engine a little after 2500 kms or so. Got the bike checked out at one of the RE ASC's in my neighborhood.

Turned out that there was excessive valve noise and the service manager was kind enough to push RE for approval to replace the entire head assembly under warranty. The approval came through quite quickly and subsequently the part too. Got the head assembly changed and this was at 3800 kms. Only had to pay INR 400/- for the coolant replacement.

I was disappointed on one hand that the engine was so finicky and in such a short time, a major part had to be replaced. Had never faced this in ANY of my vehicles earlier. On the other hand however, I appreciate the service support from RE to address the issue in the shortest possible time.

At this time, they also changed the handlebar bolts which reduced the buzz by more than 50%. The buzz which was very intrusive and numbing my fingers between 4500-6000 RPM is almost absent now.

Did a quick run-in of the engine for 600 odd kms limiting the RPM to 4,000. Completed this in a day and got the oil changed at the same ASC.

I had a ride with my biker friends coming up and did not want to trudge along and be a slowpoke. Destination was Kemmanagundi and boy, the ride and the scenery along the way was mesmerizing. Unfortunately, on the way back, I missed a turn and ended up too far ahead to turn back and join the rest of the gang. I rode back all the way to Bangalore solo. The ride was fast and enjoyable but I sorely missed the company of my friends.

Did another wonderfully picturesque, relaxing, all-day ride with a buddy of mine (ku69rd) a couple of weeks ago.

Route we took:

Bangalore > Madaksira > Kalyandurg > Bellary > Sandur > Kudligi > Davangere > Hiriyur > Bangalore.

The weather was forgiving and Thimma was so comfortable that 700 odd kms in a single day was nearly effortless. Nearly effortless I say because the stock seats aren't really comfortable for such long distances. Will be upgrading to the touring seats shortly. I tried them out on another bike and the height increases marginally but not so much that it intimidates a short rider. I am by no means tall and the stock seat on my bike is at the 825mm setting. I can flat foot one leg at a time or both legs on the balls of my feet.

Here are a few pics from the ride:

At Madhugiri:

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_062330.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_062408.jpg

At Kudligi:

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_112607.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_112640.jpg

At Narihala Dam, Kudligi:

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_113017.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_113105.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Sandur Palace. Photos of the palace shot by ku.

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_133319.jpg

Thimma, my new Himalayan 450 comes home. First Royal Enfield / ADV in my garage-img_20240622_133328.jpg

Right now, the odo reads 5800 odd kms.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd July 2024 at 20:24.
n_aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 22:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been a while since I updated my ownership thread so here goes.

Right now, the odo reads 5800 odd kms.
Sigh ! Mine just reached 1500KM! On a Side note - I don't see a crash guard?
Old 8th July 2024, 15:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
On a Side note - I don't see a crash guard?
Yeah, haven't installed one yet. Yet to take the saree guard off too.
Old 19th July 2024, 23:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Turned out that there was excessive valve noise and the service manager was kind enough to push RE for approval to replace the entire head assembly under warranty. The approval came through quite quickly and subsequently the part too. Got the head assembly changed and this was at 3800 kms. Only had to pay INR 400/- for the coolant replacement.
Its a small amount but still I would have straight away refused to pay for the coolant. Its not my problem they their engine gave up within 2500kms, so it's their problem to fix it for me and fill in whatever is needed.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks