Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 14:50   #1

Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400

I bought the Speed 400 after all the positive the responses from the people and media. I've covered more than 2500 kms on this bike.
But today, I noticed some green liquid drops on my engine and transmission casing, still I went ahead to ride it to office. I observed there was some leakage from the engine to the exhaust bolt and then dropping to the transmission casing and also some leakage from the radiator side.
I guess there are some questions to be answered about reliability. Yesterday read the news about a broken Swing Arm of The Speed 400 that was just 600 kms old, that too on a smooth tarmac...!!
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400-img20231222081929.jpg  

Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400-img_20231222_144910.jpg  

Dtovio is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:13   #2
BHPian

re: Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtovio View Post
But today, I noticed some green liquid drops on my engine and transmission casing, still I went ahead to ride it to office. I observed there was some leakage from the engine to the exhaust bolt and then dropping to the transmission casing and also some leakage from the radiator side.
Coolant leakage. A YouTuber (Travel & Bite) also faced similar coolant leakage issue which was attributed to overfilling of coolant. Your case maybe the same, get it checked at your service center.
Funny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:18   #3

re: Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400

The coolant has not been touched since the first service of the bike. I noticed this issue after I got my accessories installed, thought could be something else and neglected it. Now this is repeated occurrence somehow and always find this on the engine and transmission casing.
Forwarded the issue to the service centre but 'No Response yet!'
Dtovio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 19:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400

Coolant seems to be overfilled. get it checked, happened with me as well when the bike was new.

Last edited by gtx2 : 22nd December 2023 at 19:23.
gtx2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2 View Post
Coolant seems to be overfilled...

Isn't there an overflow outlet/mechanism? Even in my modest Yezdi Adventure there is a tube from top of the coolant tank to take care of overfill (which service center does always). I have noticed overflow just after service, in the city run (hot liquid expands), and after that coolant level settles with no further overflow.

Quote:
... I noticed some green liquid drops on my engine ...
This appears to be just below the head. Unusual location for coolant to leak. Please get it checked. In Yezdi Adv, there is an overflow tube, excess coolants drips under that, on the floor, near the side stand. Never on the engine fins.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 22nd December 2023 at 23:35. Reason: combine replies
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 00:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The coolant has not been touched since the first service of the bike. I noticed this issue after I got my accessories installed, thought could be something else and neglected it. Now this is repeated occurrence somehow and always find this on the engine and transmission casing.
Forwarded the issue to the service centre but 'No Response yet!'
Hello Dtovio,

Can you elaborate on what accessories were installed? Since torque wrenches are almost never used while doin any work, do check whether any of the bolts that were disturbed during the installation is not over torqued. Please investigate near the accessory installation area.

Please do take it to the service center and get it sorted out under warranty.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 07:58   #7

Yes there is a coolant overflow pipe available in the bike. A handful of people have faced this issue on the 400 twins but none of the leakage was at the location as with mine.
This seems something off with it. Nothing from the service centre yet!

I got the lower engine guards, aluminium sump mainly that could have disturbed something. Else the tank and knee pads or the visor for that matter couldn't have contributed much to the issue.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd December 2023 at 08:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday read the news about a broken Swing Arm of The Speed 400 that was just 600 kms old, that too on a smooth tarmac...!!
Just want to point out some of the context for this issue here.
We need to take the statements of a bike renter from Manali, in whose pictures the bike looks like it has probably been through some serious off-roading, with a more than a pinch of salt.

The bike was ridden 600 kms within just 4 days (not run-in or done with first service), in icy and snowy conditions. This just screams absolute abuse by customers. The bike rental service claims it was a "minor slip" but you can check the photos. There is not a scuff mark on the footpegs or the exhaust. There is just a clean fracture on the swingarm and no other mark.

Cracks like this are usually due to direct impact so if a huge rock was on the left of the bike during some over-excited 40bhp torque-y off-roading session by someone who didnt have to shell out their own 3L for this bike, it could get damaged this way. This was not an incident on a normal city road.

We need to be careful and get more information before assuming that something is wrong with the product. If it had happened to a regular/average customer I would be a lot more concerned.
lazyrev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:59   #9
BHPian

This coolant leakage doesn't seem like an overflow. The bikes are equipped with specific coolant overflow pipe which safely lets out the excess coolant on the floor without touching any other part. This one is an unusual spot for the coolant to leak from but my guess is a break in one or more of gaskets which isn't too uncommon. Coolant hose gaskets are much less sturdier than oil containing gaskets atleast on my CBR250R.

Anyway, anything and everything to resolve this issue should be covered in warranty including the labour. So don't worry. Do let us know what the solution was though.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 15:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Isn't there an overflow outlet/mechanism? Even in my modest Yezdi Adventure there is a tube from top of the coolant tank to take care of overfill (which service center does always). I have noticed overflow just after service, in the city run (hot liquid expands), and after that coolant level settles with no further overflow.

-BJ
That was the case with my bike as well. But still got it checked to ensure it was not something else.
gtx2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 16:37   #11
BANNED

Hi,
don't know this engine, but I would consider a cracked or porous casting. Possibly a gasket failure. Maybe a tapping or drilling that has fractured a wall in the cooling circuit.
Clean the coolant off and run the bike at tick over to full running temperature. Alternatively go for a spirited ride, blow off the coolant on your return and check for the source of the leak.
If you cannot find it try and air pressure leak test with no coolant in the system.
Regards Neil
Redex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 01:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Since the radiatior cap is at the top of the engine and the coolant reservoir directly beneath it, chances are very high an overflow tube might have gotten loose/nicked hose or a loosely fixed radiator cap/overfilled coolant. Eitherway unless there's no warning on the dash, it's not serious yet this sinister issue can lend itself to trouble later. I'm positive this shouldn't be big of an issue..

Good luck, keep it posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 21:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Hi,
don't know this engine, but I would consider a cracked or porous casting. Possibly a gasket failure. Maybe a tapping or drilling that has fractured a wall in the cooling circuit.
Clean the coolant off and run the bike at tick over to full running temperature. Alternatively go for a spirited ride, blow off the coolant on your return and check for the source of the leak.
If you cannot find it try and air pressure leak test with no coolant in the system.
Regards Neil
It was certainly a gasket failure. The gasket was replaced and apart from that the Spark Plug was replaced too because it got wet from the coolant. The coolant did not leak into the engine oil and hence no refill was needed. Just the coolant was topped up though.
So all is good with the bike now, got all the minor work done too with it.
Thanks guys!!
Dtovio is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
It was certainly a gasket failure. The gasket was replaced and apart from that the Spark Plug was replaced too because it got wet from the coolant. The coolant did not leak into the engine oil and hence no refill was needed. Just the coolant was topped up though.
Thanks guys!!
I recently had a similar, if not same issue.
Coolant leaked overnight and in the morning I woke up to this.Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400-49afe192a0d14542b0f4fd327bcbf9b0.jpeg

Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400-9af6adc0f48c45d789138b9a4a5710c3.jpeg

As you can understand my heart sank as I thought of the worst that the coolant tank (which is stupidly located at the bottom of the engine) got damaged. I thought this because I scrubbed it on a dumb speed breaker previous day. I took it to my FNG and checked it out, just a normal overfilling and overflow problem. Happened one more time but then didn’t happen again and coolant level is still very close to max. Service centre guys are usually idiots in this sense.

But I still got a Zana bash plate installed, you know, better be safe and sorry. Some dumb Triumph/Bajaj engineer needs to be kicked in the behind for this amazingly stupid coolant tank placement.

Coolant leakage in my Triumph Speed 400-399aafb4d0d34b64bfd5b292eea03aae.jpeg

My FNG fixing the Zana Bashplate. Not bad at all for 2.5K.

Last edited by Himanshu809 : 25th January 2024 at 13:00.
Himanshu809 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 09:34   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks guys!!
Love the comment that they changed the spark plug because it got wet !!!!
Coolant is inert and non corrosive, what damage can it do to a spark plug.
Just the service centre squeezing a few more Rupees out of you.
Doesn't the spark plug get wet when you ride in the rain?

Ride safe, Neil
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks