Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2023, 11:57   #1

Interceptor 650 - Neutral indicator "N-light" delay after changing the electricals

Namaste everyone! This is my first post on this great forum and I am excited imagining all the insights I would potentially gain about my machines talking to the passionate and knowledgeable riders and drivers like you all.

I recently bought a used 2020 Interceptor 650 from beepkart and had to get its complete electrical system changed (ecu, relays, side stand sensor, you name it) within a month of the purchase. The motorcycle ran fine for a couple of weeks, but then started showing issues like engine misfiring and shutting off unexpectedly. One hot afternoon, in the middle of Bangalore traffic, it shut off completely.The vehicle apparently had an accident a few months ago that had damaged the electricals. This was obviously not disclosed by beepkart at the time of selling.

The RE service folks replaced my motorcycle's electricals under extended warranty and the engine has been running quite smooth since then. But as a by product of the electrical overhaul a couple of new problems surfaced:

1. Neutral indicator:
The N light stays on for about 6 to 8 seconds even after putting the bike in 1st gear. Similarly, the N light doesn't turn on for upto 5 seconds after setting the bike to neutral. I have checked it multiple times, and I can confidently say that the time it takes for the N light to turn on or off is the same. When I asked the service folks, they said they need to check the sensors once again (basically leave the motorcycle at the center for a couple of more days). I didn't do that because the service folks didn't sound like they really diagnosed the actual issue. Like how sometimes a doctor goes "umm..., hmm..., okay let's take these 10 tests and then we will see what the issue is" . It's obvious that it's a by product of changing the sensors and the ecu. An experienced mechanic must be quickly able to tell whether it is a sensor issue or the ECU tuning issue.

So, I want to know your opinions on what could it be?

2. Side-stand sensor
The engine shouldn't crank while the side stand is down, and this was indeed the case until I got the electricals replaced. Now however, the engine does sometimes crank with side stand down, but then immediately shuts off. Once again either it is the sensor issue or the new ECU issue. I seek your opinions on this as well.

Despite the past owner not having taken the best care of this Interceptor, I would very much like to. That's why I want you to recommend some trusted RE mechanics/service centres where you had good experiences taking care of your beloved machines. This is my first time owning this brand and so my knowledge is limited in that respect. I would like to hand over this tuning task to someone familiar and experienced.

Thank you.
sam__3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 09:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Interceptor 650 - Neutral indicator "N-light" delay after changing the electricals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam__3 View Post
I recently bought a used 2020 Interceptor 650 from beepkart and had to get its complete electrical system changed (ecu, relays, side stand sensor, you name it) within a month of the purchase.
Welcome to the forum. Complete electrical system includes the wiring harness?

Quote:

The vehicle apparently had an accident a few months ago that had damaged the electricals. This was obviously not disclosed by beepkart at the time of selling.
What type of accident?. It would give an idea which parts were damaged and out of these which ones were replaced and those left unattended.

Quote:
1. Neutral indicator:
How handy are you with a multimeter?. I'm not familiar with the console of the Interceptor but if this N Light is mounted on a board then you need to diagnose that board. Sometimes the board gets damaged and that causes the problem.

Quote:

2. Side-stand sensor
If you can locate the sensor, the check the volts across its terminals when the side stand is ON and when it is OFF. My understanding is that this is mostly a microswitch not a contactless sensor. I'm not sure.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 18:13   #3

Re: Interceptor 650 - Neutral indicator "N-light" delay after changing the electricals

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Complete electrical system includes the wiring harness?
====
My understanding is that this is mostly a microswitch not a contactless sensor. I'm not sure.
Yes, including the harness. Attaching a picture of the job card. The red ticks indicate the electricals replaced.

The parts replaced under insurance were the handlebar, the instrument console, the left exhaust, etc. This is all I could see off the iPad of the technician. I have asked the relevant service center to produce detailed service records. That is yet to come.

The N light is indeed mounted on the console. However, the N light lit up correctly until I got the electricals changed. The accident happened December last year and the console was changed at that time only. The N light trouble only started a week ago when the ecu and sensors were replaced. That's why I suspected that it might be an ecu or gear position sensor issue, and not an issue in the console.

I haven't used multimeter outside of college laboratory yet . But this seems like a reasonable thing to do. I will certainly try this out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 20th December 2023, 07:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An experienced mechanic must be quickly able to tell whether it is a sensor issue or the ECU tuning issue.
There is no such thing called ECU Tuning to be done in such instances. Its more of adaptation.

Your best bet to resolve the issue is the same garage that got everything fixed. They are the ones most familiar with what all changes have happened on the bike. The chances of meddling and tinkering are going to be higher from a new garage, as they don't know much about all the work thats been carried out. A few days of the bike sitting there isn't going to cause any harm. Worse case, they can't diagnose and you get the bike back in the same conditions you sent it in. Post which, you approach an independent garage and pay out of pocket to resolve the issue.

If you've put it a new side stand sensor, then its either that being the issue first more than anything else. If that does not send the correct information to the ECU, its not going to respond the way it should.

You are very lucky that extended warranty covered all these replacements. They seldom do.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is no such thing called ECU Tuning to be done in such instances. Its more of adaptation.

Your best bet to resolve the issue is the same garage that got everything fixed. They are the ones most familiar with what all changes have happened on the bike. The chances of meddling and tinkering are going to be higher from a new garage, as they don't know much about all the work thats been carried out. A few days of the bike sitting there isn't going to cause any harm. Worse case, they can't diagnose and you get the bike back in the same conditions you sent it in. Post which, you approach an independent garage and pay out of pocket to resolve the issue.

If you've put it a new side stand sensor, then its either that being the issue first more than anything else. If that does not send the correct information to the ECU, its not going to respond the way it should.

You are very lucky that extended warranty covered all these replacements. They seldom do.
Thank you for your response. I had this doubt in my mind whether the ECU could be tuned or not. I had heard folks talking about it on bigger motorcycles like the Ducatis and Trumphs. But good to know that it's mostly a sensor thing. Will consult with the same service folks.
Old 20th December 2023, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I had this doubt in my mind whether the ECU could be tuned or not. I had heard folks talking about it on bigger motorcycles like the Ducatis and Trumphs. But good to know that it's mostly a sensor thing. Will consult with the same service folks.
The ECU can be tuned for the purpose of extracting more performance from the motorcycle. However, there is no 'tuning' done during wiring and ECU replacement.

The bikes you're referring to have preset Tune options on them which you can switch by yourself, without the need for a computer.

Like I said, the sensor being at fault is a hunch. It needs to be checked. Sometimes even a new one can fail or the wiring connector isn't seated properly.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 21:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Neutral indicator:
The N light stays on for about 6 to 8 seconds even after putting the bike in 1st gear. Similarly, the N light doesn't turn on for upto 5 seconds after setting the bike to neutral. I have checked it multiple times, and I can confidently say that the time it takes for the N light to turn on or off is the same.
If it makes you feel any better, my 2018 Himalayan stopped indicating the gear when the battery went dead. Was working fine till then, once I removed the battery, charged it & fitted it back, the gear indicator was stuck at "-" (the hyphen like thing). Later when I changed the battery, the hear indicator shows 5 all the time. I was asked to disconnect and reconnect the battery a few times by my FNG guy, but I became rather used to it and stopped bothering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks