Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2023, 13:21   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled

Images of the non-motoverse editions of the Shotgun 650 have been released.
Rides underway in the US, and opinion embargoed till 15 January 2024.

Here are some of the images:

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnd7dsagaacl6b.jpg

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnd7eiboaalz0h.jpg

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnd7epaqaa5uhk.jpg

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnd7fzbeae8yls.jpg

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnzcqgakaagfes.jpg

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnzehwbcaap9ll.jpg

Youtuber Gagan Chaudhary also has a first ride video:

Last edited by bsenroy : 13th December 2023 at 13:22. Reason: formatting
bsenroy is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 13:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Shotgun looks beefy in new spy pics

240 kgs. Interceptor looks practical!
bharath79 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 16:05   #3
BHPian

This look good. I had recently booked a super meteor in its celestial trim, now seeing this I am confused which to opt for. My delivery is expected around February, this should give me some time to consider which product would be the right one for my requirements.

Hope they sort out the niggles that the super meteor has and price it sensibly.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 18:09   #4
BHPian

Having ridden the SM650 for 300km on a long ride, my take on issues from the SM650 and whether they've been solved on the Shotgun:

1. Weight- NO. (241 kg vs 240 kg)
2. Overly feet forward rider ergos that put way too much weight on the rider's lower back- YES (pegs are more mid-set)
3. Ground clearance- SM used to drag its underside on even the most innocuous speedbumps at 135mm GC- MAYBE ( but with GC figures of just 140mm for the Shotgun, not by much)
4. Ride quality- MAYBE/NOT REALLY (Need test rides for this, but with more susp travel figures and better ergos, it might just work for smaller bumps. Expect bigger potholes to travel through you like you've been Tased)

Apart from these, I think it's pretty much the same bike. YMMV.

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 13th December 2023 at 18:15.
Sudarshan42 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 21:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled

Newbie question, but looking at the top down view, why do the exhaust cans stick out like that? Would putting a bend so that the exhaust endcans are parallel to the body cause too much restriction to the free flow? Or is it a safety thing like crash guards in the front, these will take the brunt of a fall and protect the rider?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 00:12   #6
BHPian

We have to commend RE on their paint and graphic designs , the recent paint schemes have been certified bangers.
Nikhildrao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 07:04   #7
BHPian

This was my dream bike, which I started savings for but ended up buying an XPulse. I've always wanted a 'classic'-al, practical version of the 650 twins since their launch; 2017 if I remeber correctly. I still want a twin-cylinder motorcycle, but after XPulse I think a Himalayan 650 would be more of a my-kind-of-motorcyle.

Anyway, awesome paint job as usual. But, at least in pictures:

1. Mudguards look a bit out of proportion; either or both, rear is too bulky and front is too skinny. This wasn't noticeable in the concept, I guess, due to the decal design.
2. Like the silloutte with lower handle bar, as in the concept, better.
3. Don't quite like the tank shape. Looks narrower/less "fuller" than the iconic teardrop; looks more Harley than RE. Not sure how I feel about the seat shape as well. I thought these are designs that RE has long figured out and owned; so they'd be resitive to change. But, something is up. (Don't like the tank shape on the latest Himalayan too)
4. Could be that the horns were hiding it, but I don't remember seeing an engine mount above the exhaust of the Interceptor and the GT. Can't see behind the horns in pictures from search results. Is this a fix in this model to prevent the chassis from breaking? If so, glad they fixed it; looks like the after-thought it is, though. Hopefully, there's a chassis revamp by the time I save up for the Himalayan 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Newbie question, but looking at the top down view, why do the exhaust cans stick out like that? Would putting a bend so that the exhaust endcans are parallel to the body cause too much restriction to the free flow? Or is it a safety thing like crash guards in the front, these will take the brunt of a fall and protect the rider?
Probably due to restricton of flow, but don't think it would've been too much to deter the target audience of this bike. They could've gone with a shorter can like the Bonneville, Perak, etc.; would've been a typical Bobber look. But, ground clearance is already an issue here. So, this just looks to be the design choice.
Old 14th December 2023, 12:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
Comparing the top-views of Shotgun and Super Meteor, I find the Super Meteor a lot more visually balanced. And if I were in the market for a 650cc motorcycle right now, I would still consider the Super Meteor as the benchmark due to its larger tank and non-flared exhaust pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-exterior_royalenfieldsupermeteor650_topview_600x337.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-gbnd7eiboaalz0h.jpg  

SupMeteorStorme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Theory.
The name Shotgun and the Exhaust cans sticking out point to inspiration from this shot. What do you guys think?
Schwarzenegger dual wielding a rifle and shotgun is peak 80s memory.

Sorry for going OT.
Also image credit to the studio.

Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 unveiled-image.jpg

Last edited by rohitoasis : 14th December 2023 at 13:01.
rohitoasis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
In my opinion, looks ugly. Haven't seen other competitors following this design cue and, to me, it looks unpolished.
Old 14th December 2023, 15:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhildrao View Post
We have to commend RE on their paint and graphic designs , the recent paint schemes have been certified bangers.
Are we talking about the same RE that discontinued the iconic Ice queen, and the less iconic but no less striking Dr.Mayhem in favour of 'Slipstream Blue' and Dux Deluxe on the Continental GT 650.
Ventura Blue looked so good on both the interceptor and Continental GT and now we have drab stickers called 'Black ray' and garish stickers called 'Barcelona Blue'.
We lost yellow when Continental GT went from GT535 to GT650 and later on the meteor 350.
Have you seen how tacky the metro colourways for the hunter looks, all in cheap stickers too, no paint. The only palatable colourways are on the retro series and dapper ash which show off the clean tank lines.
hikozaru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 17:37   #12
BHPian

I saw Gagan Chaudhary’s video of the new Shotgun 650 as I was curious to know what new features the Shotgun brought to the table. After watching the video I have decided to keep my Super Meteor 650 booking as I feel that the latter is better suited to my requirements with a lower seat height and larger fuel tank.
Old 14th December 2023, 18:53   #13

Looking at these comments and video now it looks like I am doomed. I have motovorse edition coming up and this bike doesn’t look practical at all.
My interceptor 650 is better choice.
Not sure what to do. They took non refundable 20k also.
pragyaal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 20:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragyaal View Post
Looking at these comments and video now it looks like I am doomed. I have motovorse edition coming up and this bike doesn’t look practical at all.
Buy it, sell it for profit later, with only 25 units of Motovorse edition being made, I am sure some RE collectors would love to get their hands on it.
Black_Star is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragyaal View Post
None here have ridden the motorcycle though. Nobody knows how the real world performance will be. If you can afford it, buy it, enjoy it. If it doesn't suit you, well, learn from the experience, flip it and move on.
a_chelat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks