Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2023, 16:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long-term motorcycle for an extremely confused soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
I do agree the classic 350 is also a perfect bike, I have driven a few of my friends Classics, but seeing so many on the roads have just put me off from buying the classic, meteor & the bullet.
Then the Scrambler 400X seems to be the one.
Since you are talking about comfort, short distances and less heating and if not averse to Bajaj why not try out the new Pulsars N250 and F250.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 17:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
I have been on a hunt for a motorcycle for almost a year now and have been putting off the decision because I cant seem to find a right fit.
Quote:
Am 5'11, definitely on the heavier side about 95kgs, and these are the bikes that I have already test ridden and either turned them down or they are stuck at the back of my head.
Quote:
With no proper Harley network and left at the mercy of Hero's service center I am a bit weary of the HD X440. I would have considered it if they had similar arrangement as Bajaj and Triumph.
Quote:
Thank you for this, I believe that that a mid-life crisis is exactly what am having
+
Quote:
"Extremely confused soul"
Do what every self respecting extremely confused souls going through a mid life crisis do. Get yourself a Harley. Not the teeny-weeny HDX440 which is basically a hero bike in disguise but a proper HD.

I nit picked some of your replies and all of them seem to point in the HD direction. Since you have already struck down the obvious RE mid-life-crisis machines, and since no budget is mentioned, just go for a HD. Bigger the better.

PS : There's only one small problem
Quote:
Will be driven in the city 98% of the time with the rare occurrence of taking it for more than 30 kms.
but don't worry. Since this purchase is not about the bike alone but also about you, get yourself a fancy machine. HD is a guaranteed mid-life-crisis bulldozer.

Last edited by srini1785 : 13th December 2023 at 17:29.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 23:48   #33
BHPian

Have you checked the handlebar position on the bikes you tested? Most have them set up too low for an almost 6ft rider.

On my KTM Adventure, I found the right position by rotating the handlebar up a bit and consciously pushing my elbows up and out while riding.

For a mostly city bike - I’d pick the KTM ADV 250 (but I’m biased by my present experience)
surajram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 02:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Genuine question here: Sir, you want groceries to be carried on a motorcycle? Just wondering if this is the pain you're undergoing all the while or just starting out? Reason? Though I hate to say that, Scooters wins thumbs down when there's a need to carry luggage with/without pillion, it's an undisputed fact
When I say groceries I don't mean 5-6 kgs of additional weight just the occasional packet of milk, or coriander when returning back from work. No I haven't had this kind of pain earlier, I have had the dazzler since my college days and have ridden almost 100-150 kms in a single stretch with no issues other than a sore bum, this started recently and am quite sure that my weight is the main contributing factor, back in collage I was 75kgs and pre-covid I was 85kgs which I maintained for 10 years after college, the pains started when I hit 95 post lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How can you have a mid life crisis with a 3 year old young man?
Release that death hold on the handlebar and ride more. Regardless of what you're riding. Everything will be okay.
Cheers, Doc
Like the doc, 2000rpm, Redex and other have pointed out will try to relax my the grip on the handlebars but this keeps happening only when am on broken roads and especially when there is traffic on these roads (I do have a lot where I live due to ongoing metro and drainage work). I don't seem to have this issue on fairly open roads with moving traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Please don't ride with small children on a scooter or bike. Children/babies in 2 wheeler accidents often result in fatalities, serious head injuries, disfigurement, loss of limbs and all types of trauma. There are no crash helmets for small children.
Thank you Neil, I would never put my kid in harms way. I could not resist replying to you since the irony here is that my kid's name is Neil too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajram View Post
Have you checked the handlebar position on the bikes you tested? Most have them set up too low for an almost 6ft rider.
This is something I have not checked, I have never fiddled around with my bike, absolutely nothing modded. I have never even adjusted the 3 mono-shock on the bike, whereas its a different story with my older cars where I have fiddled around and changed a quite a bit of things from brake pads, tyres, suspension among other things. I will try to do a check on the next round of TDs, but do showrooms adjust things like the handle bar and the shocks when you take the bike for a TD, I have never come across them doing it.

Mod Note:
1. Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
2. Please consistently use CAPITAL letters where required; proof-read your posts better for language & grammatical errors; use the right punctuation and use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs).

Thank you for the support.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th December 2023 at 07:55. Reason: Mod Note attached.
Old 14th December 2023, 02:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Then the Scrambler 400X seems to be the one.
Since you are talking about comfort, short distances and less heating and if not averse to Bajaj why not try out the new Pulsars N250 and F250.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD410 View Post

Hero Xpulse 200 4v - Hands down the most comfy in this comparison. It just glides through whatever you throw at it. The revised ergonomics in the E20 variant are just perfect, you now sit 'inside' the bike with your hands and feet totally relaxed.
Quote:
Special mention -

Pulsar F250 - This bike is ultra smooth and has significantly better performance that all the above mentioned bikes. Not exaggerating, I was really awestruck by the refinement if it's engine and gearbox!
Thank you both for reminded me about the N 250 & F250, so here is the fun bit, I did all I could to get a TD from 4 dealer across 2 cities (Trivandrum & Chennai) around 3 months back. There were no TD vehicles for the F250 & the N250 with any of them. I even got a callback from the centralized Bajaj sales call center, and they tried connecting me to a Bajaj dealer near me in Chennai and after 2 days they themselves gave up. (Turns out 2 dealers near my place have closed down).

The Xpulse was exactly how you have described it, the lack of tubeless tyres and the pathetic state of Hero's own service center is what made me drop it.

Woah and I just realized that I no longer have to wait for a mod approval to post. Thank you admins.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th December 2023 at 08:01. Reason: Please see the two points in the Mod Note in your previous post. Thank you.
al90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 07:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(turns out 2 dealers near my place have closed down)
That's a bummer and quite surprising.
You're not a newbie anymore once you cross 25 posts and hence your status change, congratulations

So all roads are leading up to the Scrambler 400X then.

Last edited by shancz : 14th December 2023 at 07:35. Reason: typo
Old 15th December 2023, 00:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I note your last statement on scooters but I’d still suggest you give the Aerox a look as an outside contender if no bike fits your requirements. It really is a stunning scooter with really nice performance.
I actually liked the Aerox, but like the N250, F250 & the MT-15 getting a TD of the Aerox has been near impossible for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I know you mentioned 30+ horses as a requirement but have you ridden an MT-15 by Yamaha?
If only I could get a TD, not even the blue square in Ashok Nagar, Chennai has a TD vehicle, and i did write to Yamaha as well regarding how a Yamaha Blue square premium showroom has only FZ's for TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
This is why Auto Rickshaws were created.
And that's exactly what I use them for, we have hired an auto for more than a year now to take my wife and kid to and fro from his classes daily.

I also wanted to check with all of you who were kind enough to give me your inputs. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait for the RE Scrambler 650? Will it be an overkill for my user case?

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th December 2023 at 05:46. Reason: i —> I and other minor clean up edits.
Old 15th December 2023, 02:27   #38
BHPian

Since you liked the CB350RS, why not go for it.

Don't worry too much about the value proposition. It is most probably the perfect motorcycle for your needs from the shortlisted bikes. If you are mostly limited to city riding, the CB has enough poke. It looks good, has a long-ish bench seat so it is spacious for your family. It is a simple bike and fairly niggle free for most. Knowing Honda India, the basic running gear will never be updated in next 10 years so no issues of going obsolete in a few years And you have to stop overthinking about the buying decision
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 07:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait for the RE Scrambler 650? Will it be an overkill for my user case?
Overkill, IMO. The Interceptor fits you better in this case since all the concerns you had with the Interceptor would still exist.

I would still maintain the Bullet 350 works best for you, then the Classic 350, then the Scrambler 400X.
Why I haven't recommended the others ? Primarily because you got a good response from Triumph near you while struggled with others like Bajaj, Honda, Yamaha etc. to get a test ride and secondly because of your use case and considering this might be one of the last motorcyles you purchase (I hope not) the Triumph will feel that extra bit special than others.

Metaphorically speaking :
Safe and steady : Bullet 350
Fresh and Fun : Scrambler 400X

Keep us posted

Last edited by shancz : 15th December 2023 at 07:44. Reason: upd acc info
Old 15th December 2023, 13:31   #40
pv5
BHPian

Quote:
I also wanted to check with all of you who were kind enough to give me your inputs. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait for the RE Scrambler 650? Will it be an overkill for my user case?
That engine(650 cc) is definitely amazing & all the bikes using that engine in RE's stable are great at what they do. If weight is not an issue(it was for me though I loved the Interceptor & have ridden my friend's quite a few times), wait for the 650 Scrambler and then decide. I am not entirely sure whether they will release a 650 Scrambler this close to new Himalayan launch which could in theory cannibalise it. Not an expert, so please take it with a pinch of salt.

As others have suggested please take a longer TD of Interceptor 650(perhaps with family) as it checks all the boxes except the grip issue.

As for overkill aspect of the decision, I have a slightly different perspective. It has to be a slightly overkill otherwise it wouldn't make for a good mid-life-crisis bike. For me my limit was less than 5 lakhs (anything greater is new car territory & harder to justify to oneself as well as to the better half). Thank goodness we have such a great assortment of bikes in this category & everyone will agree that this is the best time to buy a bike.
pv5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 16:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I have been on a hunt for a motorcycle for almost a year now and have been putting off the decision because I cant seem to find a right fit.
The list:
- Hunter 350
- Meteor 35
- Interceptor 650 (alloy)
-Speed 400
- Scrambler 400x
- Speed 900
V-Strom 250
Dominar 400
Apache RTR 200
CB 350 RS
CB 300 R:
Duke 390
Among the options mentioned in the original post, my recommendation will be the Speed Twin 900. You've taken a test ride already and have felt the balance. Here's why it fits your requirements:
  • Upright riding position and an extremely friendly rider triangle.
  • Easy, smooth motor, never the one to test your riding skills by pushing you to the edge. However, it will be challenging enough to keep you entertained as a rider for a long period. It's a rather straightforward engine without much gadgetry so it should be reliable (No one can be 100% certain about the reliability of a machine though).
  • Extremely characterful bike. Of all the bikes you have mentioned, IMHO they are all very utilitarian and you will get over them soon. This one on the other hand will tug to your heart and perhaps last for 10 years. It's almost a liter class bike but with very manageable power figures so in the next few years you won't be thinking about graduating to a 'bigger engine'.
  • It's a motorcycle that won't draw too much attention from the wannabes and it will feel like a 'quiet luxury' piece that doesn't scream for attention. It will make you feel proud. It was love at first sight for me for sure.

As motorcyclists riding purely to nurture a hobby, we make choices from the heart (and should). If you use rationality too much then it becomes a mundane office-type conversation where every move must be justified and backed by approvals . Buying a motorcycle must be for yourself, be selfish, approve of your desires, and don't look back. You may get over your motorcycle or maybe not but it will be worthwhile. Being confused is a very good thing, it teaches you important lessons and learning is never a bad thing.

Last edited by shabih : 18th December 2023 at 16:22.
Old 18th December 2023, 16:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Dude!

If I were guessing, you have a bent elbow position of riding posture.
I suspect the opposite. The one where you don't bend the elbow at all and it's a straight rod from your shoulder to the wrist, thus putting the entire upper body mass on your palms.
Old 20th December 2023, 18:03   #43
BHPian

Buy a motorcycle which sits you straight RE, CB etc. Your weight is on your hands and that causes the strain. A straight posture motorcycle will not allow you to grip the bars too tight. 30bhp is definately an overkill for your usage.
If potholes are a concern then Xpulse is better than the Triumph Scrambler etc. It has a great posture with handle risers. Not for your kid and pillion much, but definitely a superb single rider machine. You have to tolerate the bad service and engine refinement issues.
My inputs based on my current rides a RE Thunderbird and Xpulse 200 4v.
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 01:40   #44
BHPian

Out of the blues, Why not RE Scram 411 ?
The only thing that didn't seem right for that Scram 411 was its top range and for you a 100+ kmph speed would likely be rarity, so if I were you - I would anyday go with those torque kitchens from RE stable, perhaps mod them a bit to suit my taste of handlebar positioning.
To be honest with you, the one machine that could have been the ACE in Indian Market would have been a Honda CB350 but with RE 650 twin cylinders and Himalayan 450 suspension. IMO, that's my dream of a practical city + touring bike for someone going through a mid-life where you have a car and yet your identity is in motorbiking.
Even right now my heart says Interceptor 650 and Mind says Himalayan 450. I (and a lot of more like me) wish there was a Scram 650 from RE.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 24th December 2023 at 01:42.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 08:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

I would rather prefer torque over BHP since you plan to travel with your pillion(won’t say family)

Being a Honda owner, you won’t be happy with other brands. 400cc single will have more vibrations.

Sadly Honda only had hness/cb350 which meets all your requirements except for 30bhp(torque is great) so either that or wait for Honda 500 cc offering next year. Since you keep your bikes long, Honda should tick the boxes well.

I haven’t taken TD of new Himalayan yet, but please do consider that as well.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 24th December 2023 at 08:16.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks