Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2023, 20:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long-term motorcycle for an extremely confused soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post

Needs :
- Needs to have an upright seating posture.
- Should not strain my hands (see pics attached of what my current bike does to my hands)
- Should accommodate a mini me at the front at times and a pillion in the back on rare occasions (he will move to the pillion seat once he is a bit older currently 3yrs old), we usually take the car out unless we have to go somewhere less than 3-4 kms.
- Will be driven in the city 98% of the time with the rare occurrence of taking it for more than 30 kms.
- The suspension needs to be able to handle the potholes in Chennai.
I would drop the mini-me at front use case. It's not safe at all. Would rather prefer the child between you and the passenger.

With that out of the way - Scrambler 400 won't be comfy given the split seat. Duke 390 is too much bike for just the city! The H450 is again similar - too much bike for the city, plus that split seat means you will spend more to get a touring seat.

Like suggested earlier, the Bullet Classic is a great bike for you. This is based on my experience of riding an Electra 350 for a decade. Imagine if that's my feedback of the old cast iron RE, the new J series is from another planet.

The CB300 RS is a good one too for your use case. Any chance the dealers have the CB300F?? An outside chance to CB200X - I know low on power but still?

The FZ25 and Gixxer 250 also would be a good option for you I feel.

There is always the Pulsar range or the odd Jawa but I doubt you want to go there given all the bikes you listed above!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

You want a motorcycle called as a Standard motorcycle.

You want to stay clear of street nakeds which won't have space for mini-you in front. Speed 400 is ideal for your use case.He can easily keep his feet on the crash guards. Don't know why you have cancelled it though, it's really great for your use case.

You could try the Hunter but trust me, the Speed 400 works with potholes much much better.

The only other type of motorcycle that may work is an ADV. KTM ADV 250/390 and the Himalayan have straight seats but those bikes are massive in comparison to the Speed 400.
antz.bin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 01:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Did you check out the new Himalayan 450 or the KTM Adventure 250/390? Maybe an over kill for the city riding only use case, but should meet most of your other parameters - especially the space requirement.
I haven't test ridden any of them , the KTM dealership in Ashok Nagar, Chennai keeps sending the ADV's to OMR showroom and of the 3 times I have been there i have never got a chance to TD. The 450 TD vehicles are still not available in the 2 showrooms in Vadapalani & Ahsok Nagar that I checked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You only need to fit handle grips or wear gloves to get over this issue, otherwise one of them will be in your garage. Alternatively, switching to Meteor 650's handle grip to Interceptor will eliminate the need altogether. Since you didn't like Meteor 350, not sure if you want to try Meteor 650.

Last but not the least: In the present ages, any motorcycle is old in 3 years & outdated in 6 years & will be considered extinct in 9 years
Am not sure if the issue I have will be solved by gloves or the grip, agreed that it will take the strain off my palms by the strain on the wrists will remain.
I do agree that with time bike do become obsolete, but i would like to keep mine as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think a new or sparingly used CB 500 X or the NX 500 if and when it’s launched is a wonderful option. Lower down the price range, I feel for predominant city use, the Scrambler 400X will also be a nice option.

Bear in mind that some of these bikes coming closer to the 400 cc mark do tend to heat up a bit in the city and are you really ok with having a small child on the front on such bikes.

I note your last statement on scooters but I’d still suggest you give the Aerox a look as an outside contender if no bike fits your requirements. It really is a stunning scooter with really nice performance.
I cant find a used CB 500X and the Honda dealers are clueless on the NX 500, the scrambler 400x and the duke 250 ADV seems to be my best options considering the inputs that other members have given so will TD the duke 250 and then take a call.

The bike gets taken out for my solo commute to work and back and grocery run (both solo) and if all of us are going out it needs to be a destination under 5 kms and reachable in 15mins, else its the car that gets taken out. Do you know if any of the bikes recommended would heat up that much in such a short span?
Plus I really can't resist a tiny human reaching out ,looking at you eagerly asking to go for a short spin.
Old 13th December 2023, 01:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Suggestions for a test ride, in order :
1. RE Classic 350 : an ideal fit for your needs. Low end response, comfy suspension, tank is not intrusive. Although short of the 30bhp mark but I do suggest a test ride as your needs warrant a good low and mid range response over top end performance.

2. Triumph Scrambler 400X : If the 30bhp is a threshold then you're left with this as the best option.

3. HD X440 : Just take a test ride to get a feel of things. Also check how is the servicing going to happen at your location.
I do agree the classic 350 is also a perfect bike, I have driven a few of my friends Classics, but seeing so many on the roads have just put me off from buying the classic, meteor & the bullet.

With no proper Harley network and left at the mercy of Hero's service center I am a bit weary of the HD X440. I would have considered it if they had similar arrangement as Bajaj and Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv5 View Post
I have a lower back problem from time to time & was looking for something upright as well.
I have been doing commutes (45-50km roundtrip) with Speed 400 in OMR for the last 2 months without any problem. The road is bad in patches & the seating position though not fully upright, didn't cause any issue. The suspension handles the bad patches well. There is heat which can be felt in signals but is not unbearable.

As for seating my son (5+ now) in front, many of the 300+ cc bikes do get heated & are longer with large tanks and I am not sure he'd be able to keep his legs in one place. I was quite comfortable seating him in front on a TVS Starcity (keeping the legs on crash guard) & Activa from an early age. I can say one thing for sure, his enthusiasm is not reduced when he now sits in the back holding me tightly.

Since this is a long-termer, he will grow out in an year and won't be able to sit in front without obstructing & has to shift to rear seat.

Riding the Speed 400 has been fun and at the end of the day is a great mid-life-crisis (and cheaper relatively I might add) bike.

I can definitely vouch for the engine & if it is the same in Scrambler 400X, it will be an amazing ride as well.
Thank you for this, I believe that that a mid-life crisis is exactly what am having, i'll head over to the dealership this weekend and probably ask for a longer TD and close it down before end of this year.
al90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 08:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure if the issue I have will be solved by gloves or the grip, agreed that it will take the strain off my palms by the strain on the wrists will remain
Just FYI - Honda Activa, CBR 250R & Yamaha Rx100's or any other good commuter segment motorcycle handgrips are THE SOFTEST {compared to Interceptor} right out of showroom. Yet those hand grips has caused callus, not only on my palm, but my Wife's as well. No matter how soft the hand grips, over time, they will get harder {Nature wins always} & causes calluses.

Quote:
I do agree that with time bike do become obsolete, but i would like to keep mine as long as possible
Here's a secret - You can even retain over 30+ years {subject to govt norms}; like they say, its the rider not the ride, I would say, it's the maintenance & rider not the manufacturer & ride that helps to retain a vehicle longer. Ofcourse engineering, quality & cost matters; the general perception being Honda starts aging lesser compared to Royal Enfield due to quality of enginering & parts. Point is, if you're able to maintain a vehicle well then the weightage on vehicle retention period is less. Vehicles from Jap are moderate in engineering, very reliable & provide VFM, most of them from EU are highly engineered, mostly reliable & is not so VFM; our national brands are still catching up with Jap; Jai Hind!!

Quote:
The bike gets taken out for my solo commute to work and back and grocery run (both solo)
Genuine question here: Sir, you want groceries to be carried on a motorcycle? Just wondering if this is the pain you're undergoing all the while or just starting out? Reason? Though I hate to say that, Scooters wins thumbs down when there's a need to carry luggage with/without pillion, it's an undisputed fact

Quote:
Do you know if any of the bikes recommended would heat up that much in such a short span?
The only motorcycle/scooter that gets over the operational temperature for a distance of 5 Km is a vehicle running without almost no engine oil as of 2023, that way you're 99.999999% safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
You want a motorcycle called as a Standard motorcycle
Why do you make me agree with you all the time?
Or perhaps a scooter for brain & a motorcycle for heart

Last edited by aargee : 13th December 2023 at 09:08.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 09:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dude!

You are holding the handles bars too tight. The HONDA logo emboss on skin can never happen in normal day to day usage.

No bike will give you comfort with wrong riding styles.

If I were guessing, you have a bent elbow position of riding posture.
2000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 09:26   #22
BANNED

I know you mentioned 30+ horses as a requirement but have you ridden an MT-15 by Yamaha? It is the perfect fill it - shut it - forget it motorcycle in existence in our market according to me. It has enough zip to keep you entertained in the city, and is reliable and well engineered to the point that I am confident you can leave it parked and unused for months only to fire it up whenever the itch to ride strikes again.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 09:37   #23
BHPian

Hi,
looking at your hands shows that you are too tensed up, probably affecting your whole body.
You need to change to a more relaxed posture. Loosen your "death grip" on the handle bars. Don't fight the steering by tying to hold the bars in a fixed position. Loosen your grip and allow the bars to move slightly with variations in the road surface. The steering is giving you feedback, just roll with it don't fight it.
Your grip is cutting off the blood circulation, you will end up with numb hands and may struggle to use the brakes effectively in an emergency.
You can have full control of the steering using just a thumb and forefinger. Bikers who ride "off road" will know what I mean, don't fight the bike !!!!
Redex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 09:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this, I believe that that a mid-life crisis is exactly what am having, i'll head over to the dealership this weekend and probably ask for a longer TD and close it down before end of this year.
How can you have a mid life crisis with a 3 year old young man?

Release that death hold on the handlebar and ride more. Regardless of what you're riding. Everything will be okay.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 10:08   #25
BHPian

Please don't ride with small children on a scooter or bike. Children/babies in 2 wheeler accidents often result in fatalities, serious head injuries, disfigurement, loss of limbs and all types of trauma. There are no crash helmets for small children.

At 95kg I would seriously reconsider using mini me as an air bag/crumple zone. More than 2 on a scooter or bike is dangerous and illegal. Please don't put your family at risk, take the car instead.

Regards,
Neil
(A seasoned bike rider, 5 years off road riding followed by 52 years on road. All sizes models and types up to Honda Valkyrie F6c 1500cc flat 6 boxer. Riding is in my blood. I like to keep the blood on the "inside").

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th December 2023 at 19:11. Reason: Clean up / formatting edits.
Redex is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 10:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
More than 2 on a scooter or bike is dangerous and illegal.
Please don't put your family at risk, take the car instead.
This is why Auto Rickshaws were created.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 12:11   #27
BHPian

So the main point is that the bike should not strain your hands. For that the riding position needs to be upright and it's best if the bike weighs less than 160kg. In that respect, only 3 bikes come to mind -

TVS Apache RTR 200 - It has a unique riding position where upper body is relaxed and lower body is committed. It's engine and gearbox is as smooth as Honda and offers big fat midrange performance. Handling is typical TVS, super fun to flick around. Coupled with that deep, bassy exhaust note, this bike is addictive. The KYB shocks on bs4 version was plush, almost ADV like. I guess the Showa shocks on bs6 version are set stiff from the factory and will need some fiddling with pre-load settings to get that comfortable ride.

Honda CB200X - Basically a Hornet with upright riding position, slightly softer suspension and better seat. Apart from being extremely smooth, it's engine has got strong low end and midrange punch. It offers good FE of upto 50kpl. The best thing about this bike and Hornet is cornering fun. It's so engaging to ride in hills, it offers so much confidence that you can pull of some pretty good lean angles!

Hero Xpulse 200 4v - Hands down the most comfy in this comparison. It just glides through whatever you throw at it. The revised ergonomics in the E20 variant are just perfect, you now sit 'inside' the bike with your hands and feet totally relaxed. It's riding position reminded me of old Honda Unicorn. The bike is built well and feels extremely durable. Despite being an ADV, you can corner on it, that's how good the chassis is. But all is not good, the engine refinement and smoothness is still not upto the mark. I am talking about latest E20 variant. Yes there is more than enough low end and midrange performance on offer, but engine smoothness is lacking. And it's not that comfortable for pillion either. Also tube tyres, a puncture can leave you stranded.

Special mention -

Pulsar F250 - This bike is ultra smooth and has significantly better performance that all the above mentioned bikes. Not exaggerating, I was really awestruck by the refinement if it's engine and gearbox! It has got good torque in low end, very strong midrange and decent top end too, so performance in all 3 rpm bands. It has the best exhaust note in the segment and sounds very similar to Dominar 250. It's LED projector headlamp is just something else, it illuminates the road like the headlamps of some premium cars do. The infinity display with analogue tachometer and backlit switches look super premium at night. Don't go by the pictures, the bike looks very good in person. It's suspension is tuned softly and is decently comfy.

I am not actively recommending F250 only because it has sports-tourer kind of riding position. Otherwise it's a super practical bike which failed to gain attention only due to Bajaj's marketing disaster.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 13:08   #28
BHPian

I would strongly suggest a test ride or even better rent out the HD X440 and it would suit most of your needs. Yes it is new in the market but it will surely impress you the way it rides. It has a butter smooth response, Usable torque for the city speeds unlike all the other high strung machines. A supple ride over Bangalore potholes which i believe ace the Chennai potholes. It is a sleeper, but trust me I believe once you ride it you would find making peace with the way other bikes behave very difficult.
Brio2014 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 14:18   #29

i would suggest the following:

1st: Triumph Scrambler 400x
2nd: Triumph Speed 400
both the 400's above are VFM and based on reviews has very good suspension.

3rd: You could also check out the KTM 250 Adv which has bigger seat compared to Triumphs above. good specs

4th: V-Strom 250

for either of the motorcycles you could add handle bar risers, if you feel the stretch is too far.
CloserToTheEdge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 14:41   #30
BHPian

If the OP is not hung up on 30bhp or more, the Scram 411 could be a good choice for someone of his build.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks