Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 01:04   #1

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy

In the world of motorcycles, few brands hold legacy and charisma quite like Royal Enfield. For me, owning the Royal Enfield Meteor 350 in the mesmerizing blue color isn't just about having a remarkable two-wheeler; it's a culmination of a lifelong dream and a connection to my family's history. This isn't just a motorcycle; it's a symbol of dreams realized and a tribute to my father's once-owned Royal Enfield Bullet 350, a bike that fueled my childhood fantasies.

My fascination with Royal Enfield started in my childhood when he started riding Bullet 350. It was a bike that exuded timeless charm and left an indelible mark on my young mind. However, circumstances led to its departure from our lives, but the memories remained, igniting a desire within me to someday ride a Royal Enfield of my own.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself standing beside my own Royal Enfield – the Meteor 350 CC Stellar, bathed in blue hue. The echoes of my father's Bullet 350 resonate in this moment, and it's more than just a motorcycle; it's a connection between generations.

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-re1.jpg

The Honda Hness received positive reviews, but my preference for Royal Enfield led me to consider only the Hunter and Meteor models. During the test ride, I found the Hunter's low height unsuitable for my 5'10" stature, influencing my decision.

I inquired about Royal Enfield at two different dealerships and found both offering identical rates (Rs. 206,580/- ex-showroom + 21% Road tax) and delivery timelines. Choosing based on proximity, I selected the dealership nearer to me. However, neither seemed overly eager for business, likely due to high demand, offering no special deals. Opting for an extended warranty of 2 years beyond the 3-year ex-showroom warranty, I aimed to ensure coverage for a comprehensive 5-year period, shielding myself from potential issues.

Considering the complexity of numerous sensors, I recommend having RSA (Roadside Assistance) as they might not be serviceable by local roadside garages. Procuring insurance independently might cost approximately 10K. The approximate on-road price, inclusive of minimal accessories, would be around 2.8L.

Technical details of the Meteor 350:

Engine: Powering this beauty is a robust 349cc, single-cylinder, 4-stroke, air-oil cooled J series engine. The refined power delivery ensures a smooth and cheerful ride.

Performance: The performance is brisk, and the gears are thoughtfully spaced out. The engine demonstrates commendable performance in city rides. I am yet to explore highways as the ODO is still below 500km. Meteor can deliver maximum power output of 20.4 PS @ 6100 rpm and a torque of 27 Nm @ 4000 rpm.

Suspension and Brakes: Telescopic front fork and twin-tube emulsion shock absorbers at the rear provides decent ride. I felt the suspension as bit hard though, and giving occasional jolt to your back during rough and bumpy rides. The front and rear disc brakes by Bybre with dual channel ABS provide reliable stopping power.

2. Less need of gear shifts in city rides
3. Comfy Riding posture
4. Riding comfort
5. Dual Trip Meter, Distance to empty, Gear position features in the console
6. Disc brake performance

Dislikes
1. Major blind spots
2. Lack of storage space
3. Headlamp is always ON making the LED DLR useless.
4. Eccentric Console
5. Inaccurate fuel gauge
6. Loose Cable Management

The yellow colour on the base model (Fireball) is an absolute head turner. The iconic teardrop-shaped fuel tank, 3D badge (available only for stellar and higher variants) and chrome finishes gives Meteor a very good aesthetic appeal. I miss the old sari guard from my fathers Bullet 350 though. Not sure the current one will serve the purpose and if I can get the old one (the chrome plated net type) and fit into my Meteor. Your comment's are welcome.

One of the standout features of the Meteor 350 is its superior riding comfort. Most of my rides till now where city rides, except a 20km highway ride. The gear shifts needed are very minimal at city ride even when the traffic is bumper to bumper. Meteor can easily cruise at 2nd gear without knocking out the engine during heavy traffic. (Not a recommended riding as per RE though) RE has successfully harnessed substantial low-end power from the new J platform engine. The bike showcases brisk performance, accompanied by well-distributed gear ratios that suit urban riding admirably.

While the engine demonstrates commendable city performance, I'm yet to find on its highway capabilities. However, my initial experience on the highway indicates a decent performance level.

The well-padded seat ensures that even long rides are a pleasure. The standard seats on this bike are remarkably comfortable, and it is worth noting that I'm currently using the stock seat, not the optional touring one. The stock seats is having generous padding, and notably wide design offers a comfortable long ride for rider. Passenger gets little more space than old 2021(?) model because of the lengthening of the back rest fixtures.

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-seats.jpg

The riding position strikes the perfect balance between an upright stance and a slight forward lean, giving the rider control without sacrificing comfort. The heal and toe shifter and smooth gearbox make every gear shift a breeze, adding to the overall riding pleasure. The gear indicator in the console is easy to read even during bright day light which is a bliss.

Initial apprehensions about the weight (191 Kg) fade out swiftly as I took control. Surprisingly, handling this substantially heavy machine felt effortless. Its weight became a reassuring presence, grounding me securely while riding, offering stability rather than hindrance even during my bumper to bumper rides in the city traffic at lower gears.

The impressive 170mm ground clearance is a boon, especially on rough and bumpy roads. It effortlessly conquers uneven terrains, potholes, and gravel paths, ensuring a smooth ride without the worry of scraping or bottoming out. This generous ground clearance of 170mm amplifies the bike's versatility, making it a reliable companion for various terrains and adventures. The suspensions are felt bit hard for me. I think I may have to adjust it in the first service.

Headlight beam (both low and high) is decent. The beauty of the headlight is notably improved by its striking ring DRL (Daytime Running Light). Yet, I find myself pondering Royal Enfield's choice to retain the low beam light alongside the DRL while the engine is running; curious about the rationale behind this coexistence.

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-drl.jpg

The hybrid digital and analog cluster on the Royal Enfield Meteor provides an extensive array of rider information, including essential metrics like dual trip meters, odometer readings, and the distance-to-empty indicator. Due to the the initial half-hearted reception of the tripper console among users, RE forced to make the Tripper Navigation an optional feature in all models. Initially it was a factory fitted feature except for the base model (Fireball). I heard from my fellow bikers that the tripper navigation was buggy and merely shows the direction shared from the mobile without no additional info. Purchasing a good mobile holder and use it with your own mobile phone will be much better than it, IMHO. I anticipate Royal Enfield's innovative upgrades and further refinements in this feature.

Upon ignition, the console displays a numerical sequence, presumably a serial number—Let me know in the comments.

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-console2.jpg

Given the odometer reading of fewer than double digits, making any remarks about mileage might seem premature, and thus, I'll refrain from doing so. However, what I can confidently express is the exceptional level of comfort and premium feel this bike offers. Like many, I anticipated noticeable vibrations at higher RPMs, yet to my surprise, the vibrations are remarkably minimal, contributing to a pleasantly smooth riding experience. Yeah! the stock mirrors vibrate, but I usually don't ride at high speed so it is not a botheration for me. Also the blind spots are large enough to be aware of. I do scan my mirrors habitually, but you may not notice some vehicles passing you if you don't constantly scan your mirrors.

The fuel indicator seems wavy on bumpy rides. I noticed big jumps from 5 points to 7 points (Full Tank, which I am sure that is not the case) You can see the volume of fuel it shows while on center stand, which is also not accurate. Of course it should be more than half as I added 10Lt into the 13Lt tank while the ODO was reading 35km. I should indicate that the "Trip F" is a very good feature which will indicate how long we were on reserve fuel. The console automatically jump to Trip F indication when it detects low fuel though it jumps back to normal owing to the wavy nature of fuel level sensors. RE recommends to re-fuel in less than 50km in the Trip F. RE need to fine tune the fuel gauge IMHO.

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-console1.jpg

The lack of storage space in this two-wheeler is a significant disappointment for me. For long rides, you might need to buy saddlebags separately. Personally, I find this inconvenient. I may settle down with a small side bag which can hold few of my personal things and some groceries I will have to purchase on my way back to home during my daily rides. I still hate to have a separate bag though.

This motorcycle isn't just a possession for me; it's a conversation starter. During my visit to dealership for the first service visit, I could make at least three new friends! Many wanted to know the first hand experience, some want to know the riding experience and so on ...

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-re2.jpg

For me, Every twist of the throttle, every mile covered on this wonderful machine Is about fulfilling a dream nurtured over years, a dream that connects me to my father's legacy and passion for motorcycles. Every ride on this beast feels like a tribute to my father's Bullet 350. A nostalgic nod to the past while embracing the innovations and refinements of the present. The thumping engine, the distinctive low exhaust note, and the sheer joy of being on the road encapsulate what riding a Royal Enfield truly means - it's not just a journey; it's an experience. I'm not just living my dream – I'm creating a legacy of my own.

Last edited by deepak.prahlad : 20th January 2024 at 21:25.
deepak.prahlad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 08:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy

Congrats on your bike. I love this machine so much. I plan on purchasing the Meteor 350 - I just hope it had a bit more power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak.prahlad View Post
The well-padded seat ensures that even long rides are a pleasure. The standard seats on this bike are remarkably comfortable, and it is worth noting that I'm currently using the stock seat, not the optional touring one.
I heard the stock seats are not comfortable for more than an hour or so. You can always change if needed, no big deal. The more important question is if you were able to tolerate its suspension setup - the front and rear suspensions, I hear, exhibit a significant disparity in stiffness. Do you plan to install Nitrox suspensions?

Quote:
Upon ignition, the console displays a numerical sequence, presumably a serial number—Let me know in the comments.
It's the ECU firmware version.
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

I heard the stock seats are not comfortable for more than an hour or so. You can always change if needed, no big deal. The more important question is if you were able to tolerate its suspension setup - the front and rear suspensions, I hear, exhibit a significant disparity in stiffness. Do you plan to install Nitrox suspensions?

It's the ECU firmware version.
I never had a chance to have long ride yet. The ODO is still below 500km. So unable to comment on the long ride comfort of stock seat. What I heard is the touring seat is bit low and we will not be able to move back and forth as in the stock seat.

Yeah! The suspensions felt stiff on the back. Front seems to be okay. I checked with the SA about adjusting the back a bit but he said it is not adjustable. But to my surprise later when I checked the specs, it is marked as adjustable. I will have to check in service again.

Thanks for letting me know the ECU version.
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What I heard is the touring seat is bit low and we will not be able to move back and forth as in the stock seat.
That's true actually. See what suits you!

Quote:
I checked with the SA about adjusting the back a bit but he said it is not adjustable. But to my surprise later when I checked the specs, it is marked as adjustable.
Yes, it's adjustable.

Screenshot from RE Meteor 350's manual:

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-5kpjaty.png

Additionally, here's a neat (unofficial) video of the adjustment:

Last edited by McQueen : 22nd January 2024 at 14:11.
McQueen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 21:43   #6
BHPian

Got to ride a Meteor 350 with wife as pillion for about 500 kms in total, Bengaluru to Yercaud and back.
Probably the first time I'm trying out the new J series engine and I must say, it's refined Can do a 100 without stress too. Although that's where it likes to stay as well, at least 2 up, weight and all things considered.

Even handles decently. The sharp bends going up and down to Yercaud and back, were all quite a treat.

If there's anything to complain about, it's cruiser design in general for me. My back took a bit of a beating. The feet forward position too, not the most comfortable. If you're used to standing up on occasion, this position makes it nigh impossible.

But that's just me and my preferences. The motorcycle by itself - aces!

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-20240120_172711.jpg

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-20240120_172736.jpg

My Royal Enfield Meteor 350 | Ownership Review | Tribute to my father's Classic legacy-20240120_172807.jpg
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 18:44   #7

On turning off the headlamp during day time leaving only the ring DRL : I found a solution from a spare parts shop. They supplied a no wire cut solution for just 400 bucks. Just fix it inside the headlamp assembly where the power goes to the bulb. You get identical connectors to avoid any wire cutting. Additionally a ground wire which you can bolt to the tripper navigation module bolt underneath the steering rod.

Press and hold to the pass switch for about 3 seconds and voila! The head lamp is off leaving only the ring DRL which is so satisfying to watch. Press again for three seconds and it turns back on.

When you kill the engine and fire it back on it shuts off automatically.
deepak.prahlad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 22:59   #8

I have been riding the meteor for sometime now(15k on the odo) I feel the front suspension to be good at damping all the road irregularities, the rear suspension is stiff and the fact that it is mounted right under the rider's seat means the spine is not going to be happy with each passing bump. I have adjusted the rear suspension up by two notches and surprisingly the rear seems to be doing a better job now, I know it is supposed to be the opposite, going up by two notches should make the suspension more stiffer but here it not.

For the seats I am using the touring ones, the max that I can be on them continuous is around 3 hrs after which I will need a break to get the pressure off my back.
Meteormariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 14:30   #9

Quote:

2. Less need of gear shifts in city rides
3. Comfy Riding posture
4. Riding comfort
5. Dual Trip Meter, Distance to empty, Gear position features in the console
6. Disc brake performance
Is there really a Distance to empty feature, as I have not found it on my 2021
Meteor Fireball? Let me know.

Also, you can get accessories to turn off the headlamp while riding the bike and keep the DRLs on.
Old 17th April 2024, 09:35   #10

Great ownership review! Hope you're enjoying it.. Just wanted to point out that the chain slack seems to be too much in one of the photos you've posted.. Might be because of the angle.. But nonetheless, if you're not already doing so, I'd recommend that you get it checked every 1000 kms and adjust it, if necessary..

Happy crunching!!��
local_z900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhan View Post
Is there really a Distance to empty feature, as I have not found it on my 2021
Meteor Fireball? Let me know.
I referred to the Trip indication with "F". It automatically shows up when the fuel reaches reserve level. My SA in RE told that it can run a maximum of 100km in reserve. So we can easily figure out distance to empty.
deepak.prahlad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 19:19   #12

Congrats on the Bike Deepak

Did you consider any other bikes other than the highness before deciding on the meteor350? Was the SM650 an option or even the SG650 (probably unreleased at that point of time maybe?)

How much of a difference do you think would it be with the additional 50kg weight on the newer SM and SG 650's?

Also, is there really enough space to install a mobile holder if we bypass the tripper navigation system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks