Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 08:48   #1
BHPian

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride

How it started...

The idea to travel to Mumbai for business and social gatherings marked the beginning of a journey. I had spent several months in Mumbai during my previous visits. I took buses, trains, planes, and cars to Mumbai. This time i chose to take my Dominar 400 because it was a quick visit with only me.

What was the need to ride...

In a metropolis like Mumbai, having an own vehicle is an extra benefit for time-saving while considering distance and traffic.
I'm not sure if traveling solo is a reason to ride or if riding solo is a reason to travel. Deep in my mind, I badly wanted a long ride,
of course, professional meetings were important too.

What made me do this...

My prior trip to Rajasthan and the Runn of Kutch from Bangalore, covering 6500+ km, and many multi-day rides to central western ghats in a group and solo ride to Murudeshwar covering 900+ km gave me more self-assurance.

The Preparation...

The packing list I prepared for my trip included things like

>Motorcycle Documents
>Tools & Medical kit
>Chain lube & Air inflator
>Action Camera
>Protein bars, Water & Energy Drinks
>Rain gear & Extra gloves
>Bungee cords & Plastic covers
>Extra fuel & Spare key
>Laptop and Personal belongings

The fact that I forgot to carry a tubeless puncture kit is the worst part. I mostly prefer to stay on liquids while riding to avoid dehydration and eat protein bars rather than heavy food.

The Execution...

I slept for 4 hours the previous afternoon and 5 hours in the night as I planned to leave very early in the morning expecting a long day on the highway. My original plan was as below:

Journey Date :6th November to 10th November
Katriguppe - 0km - 4 am
Davanagere - 264km - 8 am (Breakfast)
Hubbali - 150km - 10:15 am (Refreshment)
Belagavi - 100km - 11:30 am (10mins Break)
Karad - 180km - 2.30 pm (Lunch)
Pune - 160km - 6 pm (Tea Break)
Goregaon -170km - 10 pm (Halt)

But everything changed the moment I woke up an hour later than I had intended. I was starving after crossing Hiriyur. Close to the Guilalu toll, I made a pit stop for a bun and some tea. After that, at around 9:30, I made a quick stop at Haveri for a filling brunch.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-4dad50f366064383bd8f4e96a70ef53e01.jpeg
Dawning on the highway near Tumkur
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-9dc84f73382543ce8ab966334a81579501.jpeg
Bun and Tea Time
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-73945dae7adb46698eb54eb173297d2601.jpeg
First Landscape
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-bfeb00ee07b5429bb02f01fc3730ee8901.jpeg
Tallest flag pole of India (361ft) in Belagavi

Despite using Sujith Thomas' (Sujith1100 in Team-Bhp) weather forecast report, I still had to go through a moderate drizzle up to Belagavi from Hiriyur. I spotted a sun when I was having my lunch break close to Nippani. I just ate a protein bar and carried on with my travel because I was running late. I arrived in Pune well ahead of schedule due to the excellent roads, so I took a lengthy (30-minute) stop. I set out again at 5:02 pm, intending to be in Mumbai (Goregaon West) within the next two hours. However, I discovered that I had entered the zone at the incorrect time, as there was a severe traffic bottleneck. I took short breaks at Khalapur junction and Khandala Ghat viewpoint in between, and at 8:50 pm, I finally arrived in Goregaon West. It was incredibly tiring to go from Pune to Mumbai.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-d75ad601face45988d481f660c14ee9401.jpeg
Khandala ghat view point

I was in Mumbai on November 7 and 8, where I signed a new project, and met my senior from my prior web series, a new crew, and a few old friends. On the 9th, I had an appointment with two more friends from my field, and on the 10th, I had an early departure from Mumbai.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-977677a7fea84a39b19133e0b238fba301.jpeg
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-bbc1704b19b148dbaced62a36f1f710901.jpeg
My new workplace

The strategy changed once more. While the other friend remained in Vapi, one of my buddies left Mumbai with his family. Vapi, in the state of Gujarat, is about 160 kilometers from my place in Mumbai. Vapi is located about 14 km distant from Daman. I therefore made the decision to stay in Vapi for the day and depart in the evening or at night as it would be simple to get across Mumbai.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-820dfe42e4854dcc88f001c3d659062101.jpeg
Just before taking deviation to Daman

In accordance with the revised schedule, I left Mumbai at midday and arrived in Daman by 3:20 pm, stopping for tea at Manor enroute, as I had a 4 pm appointment with my buddy. I was unable to spend much time in Daman, and it was obviously not a good idea to spend the afternoon on the beach. Reached Starbucks in Vapi in a matter of minutes. I went to see my friend and we had a great conversation about movies and future endeavors. Additionally, we intend to collaborate in the near future.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-386d80d681b2435dbcdf5ab7e728061e01.jpeg
Got exclusive parking place in front of Starbucks

I decided to take enough rest and set out for Bangalore at 7 in the evening. It was almost 9 pm when I got to Fountain Circle and got stuck in a serious traffic jam at Vasai. Delicious food was served at the Fountain, a well-known hotel. I chose my favorite Kheema Pav because I didn't want a heavy dinner, I knew that biking would make me drowsy.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-01f897cde1dd46728692bbdb538d3bcc01.jpeg
Kheema Pav from Hotel Fountain

I was going to bypass Mumbai's rush hour traffic by taking the Thane route after my 40-minute break and spent some time trapped in traffic as it quickly began to pour severely. I hid out for 45 minutes at a neighboring temple. Even though it didn't stop, I could still ride in it. Since it was almost drizzling, I decided to take the chance rather than remove my luggage and wear rain gear. Traffic decreased as it got closer to Panvel. It was still raining when I arrived at the Welcome Restaurant, which was bustling even at midnight. I took a sip of iced tea. I changed into rain gear and restarted.

I always cherish my nighttime rides. Unfortunately, the lengthy ride became a little monotonous, and a companion soon arrived in a modified Suzuki Celerio. We traveled together for about 100 kilometers at speeds between 70 and 100 kmph. The rain entirely ceased as we got closer to Pune and right before the New Katraj Tunnel, I stopped. I enjoyed Domi's exhaust tone in a deserted tunnel.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-43d12f8c74b84650908d99b477fe01cf01.jpeg
Long exposure mobile photography

I was hungry, and it was getting close to three in the morning. I continued searching for food on the side of the road and came across a bread omlette stall close to Shirwal. That's where I met this guy. Anmol is his name, and he appeared to be seven or eight years older than I was. Who drove his Hyundai i20 with his spouse from Pune, where he runs a start-up business. While I ordered a bread omelet, he began asking questions about my journey because he was so curious. He was shocked that I was riding solo from Vapi to Bangalore. He said that he used to ride a bike but stopped after getting married. He had fond memories of his time spent riding a bike. After talking about bikes and long journeys for a while, he departed.

My phone was nowhere to be seen when I attempted to pay the food stall guy. I was looking at my surroundings and near my motorcycle. I tried using the shopkeeper's phone to contact my own phone, but I couldn't see my phone anywhere. It was ringing. I saw some guys drinking tea near my bike, and I had suspicions about them, but I was unable to confront them without any evidence. I made an effort to inspect every pocket again. I couldn't fit it in my jeans pocket because I was wearing rain pants over my jeans. Eventually, though I located it inside my riding jacket. Perhaps I kept it when it was pouring and the phone entered the silent mode.

I was feeling a little sleepy, even though I'm used to being awake at night. It was almost 4 in the morning. My drowsy state vanished entirely after this experience. I could easily ride for the following two hours as a result. I didn't take any risk after arriving at Tasavade Toll Plaza. I made the decision to ride my bike further after a 30-minute power nap. I learned how to take power naps from my 14 years of experience working double call sheets and night shifts with 16–18 hour schedules in the film industry. This was really very helpful to me.

I could see daylight approaching as soon as I woke up. After a couple of minutes of travel, I arrived to see a stunning sunrise over a landscape. It took me a few minutes to get a good picture of it.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-ab2e27ec348146bf9ce63df451e0971901.jpeg
Sunrise in Green field

I carried on traveling until I reached the border of Karnataka. I stopped at a hotel at about 8.30 to have some vada and sambar. Although it wasn't as amazing as the vada sambar I had in Bangalore, it was still good.

The bike, including the chain, was very dusty due to the rain, and I decided it was time to apply chain lubricant. Putting lube on a bike's chain in this kind of circumstance can make it worse, so I drove to Belagavi at slower speeds and kept looking for bike washing.

As soon as I arrived in Belagavi, I noticed a 1960s Plymouth Valiant and it caught my eye. I went to take some photos of the beauty.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-img_20231110_11091101.jpeg
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-293218bc9101472c99b66cdb32192a1b01.jpeg
1960s Plymouth Valiant

I casually asked about it, as well as asking the garage for assistance in locating a two-wheeler washing center. The person who washed the bike took his time and did a great job. I went to get badam milk from a store while he was washing. Upon seeing me in riding gear, the shop guy asked me which bike I was riding. He was quite excited and I mentioned it was the Dominar.

To check out my bike, he accompanied me to the washing center. His eyes were filled with a biker's love and affection. He also helped me to put the chain lube and wished me a pleasant and safe travel.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-d8aa727b76364240990a72b9891977b601.jpeg
Suvarna Vidhana Soudha - Belagavi

After making a photo stop in front of Suvarna Vidhana Soudha, I continued on towards Haveri and rested at the Hotel NH4 Grand.

Since there was nothing light on the menu, I decided to eat chocolate and ice cream.

When a typical uncle saw me standing in front of the hotel, he started asking me annoying questions like what was the box on my bike? and what I stored in it? How much mileage does my bike offer? Why do you people travel on bikes so frequently? I got on my bike and headed to the Sira toll before I lost patience.

I stopped before Tumkur once again to refill my water bottle. The sign that said "100 km to Bangalore" made me joyful because it made me feel like I was finally home. While a Bulleteer riding beside me for some time approached me for chain lubricant. He identified himself as coming from Pune on his RE Classic 500, and he was from Madhugiri, which is close to Tumkur. He took good care of his bike even though it was about 15 years old. He took great pride in being its owner.

It was 6.30 pm, and it took me an hour and fifty minutes to get home from there because of rush hour traffic. I took a very little break smelling Bangalore before I left for home.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-blrmumdnvapiblr_data01.jpeg

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 27th November 2023 at 15:54.
Karthik1100 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 06:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 03:07   #3
BHPian

Before starting the journey, I wanted to make sure the condition of the motorcycle was perfect.

Service Center :
Auto Service Banashankari 2nd stage, Bangalore.

Motorcycle condition before the journey starts.

Odo reading during the previous service 28500 km.
Odo reading during a recent service 31909 km.

Tyre condition*
Front-Apollo Alpha H1 9300 km done.
Rear-MRF Revz C1 5760 km done.

Tyre pressure
Front: 29psi
Rear: 33 psi

Engine oil condition
The previous service was 11 months ago, so it was replaced.
Engine oil: Motul 7100 10W-50, fully synthetic.

Chain condition*
The chain sprocket has run around 3400 km.
Tightened and lubricated.

Clutch cable
Replaced in the previous service.

Electricals
All ok.

Coolant level
Maximum.

Brake pad's condition
Front: Worn-out 50%.
Rear: Replaced.

Battery condition
One year old.

Air filter condition
It can run for another 3000 km.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-img_20231104_153055.jpg
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-img_20231128_232728__01__01__01.jpg

My gear shift lever broke when I was almost to Nelamangala.
I was having trouble using the first gear, so I had to use the second gear instead.

I got the gear shift lever replaced from the same service centre.

5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-img_20231118_175736__01__01.jpg
5 States in 5 Days: A 2,400 km Solo Ride-img_20231128_232853__01__01__01.jpg
Karthik1100 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 10:44   #4
BHPian

Just incredible write up @Karthik1100. Loved the way you have noted the trip on a spread sheet. The pictures are great, especially Khandala ghat view.

Also, it gives me immense confidence now on purchase of Dominar 400 ( I assume your one is a model prior to upgrade).

Keep them coming which will invoke the travel bug for people like us.
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:37   #5
BHPian

Very nice writeup Karthik! I live barely 3 km away near Ittamadu and would to love to meet you and exchange biking stories. 2400 km in 5 days is really great that too on a naked sport. My longest solo has been 1730 km across Kerala in 6 days on my Himalayan. How was the wind buffeting at highway speeds with that visor, is it stock?

Quote:
When a typical uncle saw me standing in front of the hotel, he started asking me annoying questions like what was the box on my bike? and what I stored in it? How much mileage does my bike offer? Why do you people travel on bikes so frequently? I got on my bike and headed to the Sira toll before I lost patience.
Freely answer these questions saar, albeit not extremely truthfully. Trust me most are extremely biased towards tourers especially on 300+ cc bikes like ours in riding gear as being uncouth, rude, rash and racers who are out to scare the general public due to bad apples in our community who would have given them a bad experience. Answering these questions will only educate them about what true riding/touring is. They can also see that beneath all that gear is a passionate rider who also has to work day in and day out to pay for his bike and take care of his family and not a rich jackass on a fast bike trying to show off.
100Kmphormore is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 14:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs&Mr_Shenu View Post
Just incredible write up @Karthik1100. Loved the way you have noted the trip on a spread sheet. The pictures are great, especially Khandala ghat view.

Also, it gives me immense confidence now on purchase of Dominar 400 ( I assume your one is a model prior to upgrade).
Hello Mrs&Mr_Sheenu, Welcome to Team-Bhp.

I appreciate you enjoying the thread and the images.
Indeed, my Dominar is a 2017 model; it doesn't have a DOHC configuration or a USD fork. I read one of your posts regarding selecting a motorcycle to buy. The Dominar 400, CB 350, and Meteor 350 are all excellent options for extended rides. Prior to buying, you may also take a test ride of the Triumph Speed 400, Himalayan 450 and KTM Adv 390.
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 02:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Very nice writeup Karthik! I live barely 3 km away near Ittamadu and would to love to meet you and exchange biking stories. 2400 km in 5 days is really great that too on a naked sport. My longest solo has been 1730 km across Kerala in 6 days on my Himalayan. How was the wind buffeting at highway speeds with that visor, is it stock?
Thank you. The visor is from Lluvia Industries, there is no wind buffeting after installing it. I will message you my contact number, we can definitely catch up.

I did answer him very politely. I have been riding for the past 24+ hours and have crossed 1000 km. I really didn't have much patience to answer every sarcastic question. Sometimes ignoring and moving out of the place is the best solution.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
How it started...

The idea to travel to Mumbai for business and social gatherings marked the beginning of a journey. I had spent several months in Mumbai during my previous visits. I took buses, trains, planes, and cars to Mumbai. This time i chose to take my Dominar 400 because it was a quick visit with only me.

Attachment 2536324
Great Ride.

Pardon me for asking a very basic question - I could only spot a tail bag, was it sufficient enough to carry your stuff for the days that you were travelling? I’m wondering how you could have packed everything into that box. I did not see any saddle bags either.

Keep Sharing more pics of the Domi. Always wanted to buy one.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 15:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice crisp thread, Karthik. Having known you since a decade and having done numerous long rides, glad you posted this thread. Gives lot of insight for Bangalore riders who want to ride towards MH and GJ. Looking forward for your threads on classic cars drives too.
arun1100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 19:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Pardon me for asking a very basic question - I could only spot a tail bag, was it sufficient enough to carry your stuff for the days that you were travelling? I’m wondering how you could have packed everything into that box. I did not see any saddle bags either.
Thank you Desmosedici.

I had a top box with a 50-liter capacity in which I kept my personal belongings, which included my laptop, an air inflator, an extra fuel bottle, a medical kit, a tool kit, and a chain lube total weighing 14 kg.
Water bottle, protein bars, bike documents, rain gear, plastic covers, additional gloves, and a power bank in my back pack. It should have been plenty for seven or eight days. I prefer to carry very thin t-shirts, no more than three jeans, and a pair of track pants. I only use saddle bags when my trips are longer than ten days.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 20:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Nice crisp thread, Karthik. Having known you since a decade and having done numerous long rides, glad you posted this thread. Gives lot of insight for Bangalore riders who want to ride towards MH and GJ. Looking forward for your threads on classic cars drives too.
Thank you Arun, for doing a proofread of this thread before making it live. I hope this thread helps a lot of solo riders, especially first-timers to plan their travel. There are definitely much more useful threads you can expect from me.
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 12:12   #12
BHPian

Hi Karthik1100! Your ride and the details make an interesting read. Having driven often between Blr - Mum I was comparing the time schedules in my head and you have been a quick rider! Ha ha ha and yes, i can completely understand your reasoning to bolt from the seemingly pesky queries. Especially coming after a looongish time in the saddle. I face similar questions while on my roadie as well as on my bike.
Just a question ; was wondering why you fuelled twice at Palgarh and Dahisar?
Scrolling through your destinations struck a sense of deja vu. I lived in Malad (W) for a while and Oshiwara, Goregaon were frequent haunts in my hunt for antiques on bachelor weekends. Katriguppe too falls right in my backyard!
Surprised you didn't stop for yumm grub @ 7/12 Kolhapur.
Passatman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 13:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatman View Post
Hi Karthik1100! Your ride and the details make an interesting read. Having driven often between Blr - Mum I was comparing the time schedules in my head and you have been a quick rider! Ha ha ha and yes, i can completely understand your reasoning to bolt from the seemingly pesky queries. Especially coming after a looongish time in the saddle. I face similar questions while on my roadie as well as on my bike.
Just a question ; was wondering why you fuelled twice at Palgarh and Dahisar?
Scrolling through your destinations struck a sense of deja vu. I lived in Malad (W) for a while and Oshiwara, Goregaon were frequent haunts in my hunt for antiques on bachelor weekends. Katriguppe too falls right in my backyard!
Surprised you didn't stop for yumm grub @ 7/12 Kolhapur.
Thank you Passatman,

It is nice to know that you traveled to similar destinations.

Generally, when you are riding in a group, you are less likely to attract pesky queries. When they know you are a solo rider, they become very curious, and journalists come out of them.

The distance between Palgarh petrol bunk and Dahisar Mori petrol bunk is 124 km. I assumed almost half the tank got emptied, and I didn't want to take any chances in the late night as I planned for a continuous ride.

This route is my first time on my motorcycle, so I am not very aware of good restaurants, and taking a break in Kolhapur was not in my plan. And as I said earlier, I prefer having very light food while riding. I will definitely visit 7/12 next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks