Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2023, 13:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh

Bangalore-based, Orxa Energies, has launched a new electric bike called the Mantis. It is priced at Rs 3.6 lakh (ex-showroom, Bangalore) and will rival the Ultraviolette F77.

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot-20231123-134427.jpg

by what is claimed to be India’s first liquid-cooled electric motor. It produces 27.5 BHP and 93 Nm, enabling the bike to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 8.9 seconds. It has a top speed of 135 km/h.

The Mantis comes with an 8.9 kWh battery featuring Orxa’s proprietary battery management system (BMS). The battery is enclosed in a hybrid aluminium case, which is IP67-rated. It offers a maximum range of 221 km on a single charge and can be recharged in 5 hours using a 1.3 kW charger. A 3.3 kW charger halves the charging time.

In terms of features, the Orxa Mantis comes with a 5-inch digital instrument console that runs on a Linux-based Orxa operating system. The bike features a twin-projector LED headlamp with LED daytime running lights, LED tail lights and turn indicators.

The Mantis is equipped with a 41 mm telescopic fork and a mono-shock at the rear. Braking is handled by 320 mm front and 230 mm discs at the front and rear, respectively supported by single-channel ABS.

Orxa is offering a 3-year / 30,000 km warranty on the Mantis, its electric motor and battery.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd November 2023 at 13:47.
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 19:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh

Too Pricey and will be a niche product. At 3.6 Lakhs this will hardly fly off the showroom. Though the Motor (Torque) is powered in Superbike Category don't think India is yet ready for a 3.6 Lakhs Electric Bike with a range of 221km on paper whereas real world range will be far less. Can be used inside cities only.

Figure this:
My Hometown is 270 kms from Hyderabad so I cannot reach Hyderabad non stop without charging midway.

Last edited by dsuman : 23rd November 2023 at 19:51. Reason: Spelling
dsuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 20:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It produces 27.5 BHP and 93 Nm, enabling the bike to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 8.9 seconds. It has a top speed of 135 km/h
This spec reminds me of CBR 250R with a minor exception, it made 26 Bhp {in 2013 models} & did 0-100 in 8.5 sec, but the homongous torque this electric bike makes is astounding

So back then, CBR 250R was costing around 1.6 Lakhs OTR, considering 6.5% as inflation, it works to 3.3 Lakhs today & considering this is EV a 30K addition + taxes are justified or not only time will tell. That said, 231 Km is a very decent number even if 10% is included as optimistic number.

Considering the sales numbers of Ola, Ather & iQube versus fossil fueled scooters, I'm really wondering how long would it take for such extremely priced to become profitable because even RV400 is almost invisible on roads for its 1.6L price tag & not to mention F77!!
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 10:30   #4
BHPian

I attended their Track Day session in August. I'm not going to comment on the fit and finish quality as they were prototype bikes, but I will definitely comment on the Heat Management. Just within 2 laps, the throttle response became dull and the motor temperature on the instrument console was 160°C. I assumed it was because my bike's SOC was 17% (21% when I started). But my friend's bike also showed 158°C after the session. Many riders were riding the bikes back to back so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

After the media drives, I noticed that people were still complaining about the Heat Management issues. I expected them to iron out all of the issues but seems to me that they haven't done it. I hope they will sort out the issues before delivering it to the customers.

Few photos from the session (Thanks to my friend Rohan)
Attached Thumbnails
Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot_20231130102156_gallery.jpg  

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot_20231130102205_gallery.jpg  

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot_20231130101955_gallery.jpg  

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot_20231130101952_gallery.jpg  

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-screenshot_20231130101944_gallery.jpg  

Orxa Mantis electric bike launched at Rs 3.6 lakh-img20231029wa0009.jpg  

NB_4763 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 10:49   #5
BHPian

Can someone help me understand why even with 93Nm of torque, that too from an electric motor where its supposed to be instaneous - this motorbike does 0-100 in almost 9sec ? This is almost equivalent to most 250-30cc ICE machines that produce ~30Nm of torque at 6k+ rpms.
At that fancy price this bike doesn't seem to have either the top-speed or insane acceleration. I wonder why would one go for it, except being a niche.
Old 30th November 2023, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Can someone help me understand why even with 93Nm of torque, that too from an electric motor where its supposed to be instaneous - this motorbike does 0-100 in almost 9sec ? This is almost equivalent to most 250-30cc ICE machines that produce ~30Nm of torque at 6k+ rpms.
At that fancy price this bike doesn't seem to have either the top-speed or insane acceleration. I wonder why would one go for it, except being a niche.
Check out the MotorInc First video for this. They say the performance is totally damped down for different ranges of speed, broadly feels like a Duke 250.

AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 11:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

This bike seems to be in a no man's land - its not a commuter bike and it is not an out and out performance bike either. Infact this has less performance than an ICE bike of similar price but brings in headaches like range and range especially at higher speeds at which it would be at its most inefficient meaning it cant be used for long distance riding.

For a non commuter bike which is going to see infrequent use, running costs are not as important as it is on a commuter bike being used everyday. Then is matter of no noise or vibrations from the engine - something which is such an important part of whole motorcycling experience. Although I love my Tesla Model Y Performance, I dont think I can ever warm up to an electric motorcycle.
Old 30th November 2023, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
As far as my understanding goes these torque figures are over inflated. They dont mention where the torque is calculated, at the wheel or the output shaft of the motor, that is going to make a huge difference? All EVs have some insane torque no for spec sheet but it doesnt do anything in terms of performance.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 30th November 2023 at 11:49.
Rahulkool is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 11:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
As far as my understanding goes these torque figures are over inflated. They dont mention where the torque is calculated, at the wheel or the output shaft of the motor, that is going to make a huge difference. All EVs have some insane torque no for spec sheet but it doesnt do anything in terms of performance.
No thats completely wrong. The torque trails off the faster an electric motor spins and remember there is no gearbox to "bring" the engine into the meat of the powerband either. I am pretty sure they are restricting torque output when starting from 0 because it will overwhelm the grip and therefore traction. The max draw current from the battery also makes a difference.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 30th November 2023 at 11:51.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks