Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2023, 00:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Improving the Honda Activa's suspension

I use a self inflatable trail seat sold by a brand called therm-a-rest. I got it off of Amazon usa and back then it was shipped directly to me in India. That option is perhaps no longer available since the damn pandemic, but I see a similar model available on amazon India for a lot more than it cost me. Anyway...

So it's an air cushion of sorts. Prevents all bumps from reaching my spine. My lower back and spine feel a lot better when I use it vs when I don't. Also, I just keep it on the seat of my Activa and stick my behind on it. But I think it would be better to get a harness made with nylon straps to.hold it in place. And the straps can go under the seat and snap into each other. Any bag repair guy should be able to stitch one. But due to my adhd and infrequent use of the cushion, I have not gotten around to getting a harness made.

Beyond that, definitely get the front and rear suspension checked. 8.5 years is a long time and if not replaced/overhauled already, you should look at getting that done asap.

PS: I got the trail seat at about the same time as you got your Activa. And it's only now started fraying at the edges. So it can take a lot of abuse. Worth the price I paid.
Old 24th November 2023, 12:15   #17
BHPian

To all the members who took their time and replied: A big thanks from my end & best wishes.

Update: I have made a point to exercise regularly. I weigh around 60 kg. I'm 5ft and 8 inches tall. I do stretching exercises in the morning and brisk walks in the evening. I have also started Vitamin D3 supplements. Will update if I feel any improvements in my body post these measures.

I just wanted to know if Jupiter front suspension can be retrofitted to my Activa 125. I have been in touch with the Honda dealer for that front fork replacement. All they say is they will order it & that part never arrives. They have a front fork for the disc variant but not for the drum variant.

Has Honda stopped manufacturing the front fork for the drum variant of Activa 125? Also, the Telescopic suspension of Activa 110 7G can't be retrofitted to Activa 125. This is as frustrating as it gets.

So I wanted to know if TVS Jupiter front and rear forks can be used as a straight fit for Activa 125.
Old 24th November 2023, 16:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavshet View Post

Has Honda stopped manufacturing the front fork for the drum variant of Activa 125? Also, the Telescopic suspension of Activa 110 7G can't be retrofitted to Activa 125. This is as frustrating as it gets.
Take a test ride of Activa 125 bs6. It's front suspension has reworked internals and now it's soft and compliant. The angle of the rear shock absorber has been changed and now it's almost perpendicular to the frame. The shock absorber itself now is 3 step adjustable and has a soft edge to it. Overall, it now sort of glides over bad patches. Road shocks are not transmitted directly to the rider. I can confirm it as I have done multiple Coimbatore and Munnar runs on my friends bs6 125. It's now as comfy as TVS Jupiter, but handling has taken a hit due to the soft suspension.

Not just the improved suspension, the whole engine is new. It has longer stroke, fuel injection and silent starter. All together they provide a sense of ultra refinement. That silent start especially is addictive. Honda's auto start-stop tech works flawlessly and is instantaneous, no lag whatsoever. Fuel efficiency has improved, now it gives a consistent 55-58kpl. It's LED headlamp is more powerful than bs4 version. Overall, Honda has created a perfect companion for work commutes. I am myself tempted to replace my bs3 Dio and upgrade to Activa 125 bs6.
Old 24th November 2023, 17:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Update: I have made a point to exercise regularly. I weigh around 60 kg. I'm 5ft and 8 inches tall. I do stretching exercises in the morning and brisk walks in the evening. I have also started Vitamin D3 supplements. Will update if I feel any improvements in my body post these measures.
So you're not underweight at all - perhaps your muscle tone or old muscular injury might be an issue.

However I would advise you to refrain from creating a Frankenstein's monster out of your scooter. Buying a used Splendor might be light on your pocket and back. You could also check out the TVS XL100 and see if the variant with the split seat offers better shock absorbance.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Split your commute of 45 kms in 3 parts. After every 15 kms stop, stretch , drink water , sit and then resume. Take 5 mins for each break. It will add 15 mins to your already long commute but mentally and physically it will help somewhat.

Weekly take massage ( no dont get me wrong , i mean serious massage ), urban company comes home and gives one.
Old 20th December 2023, 13:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
However, due to a change in the organization last year & due to poor bus connectivity on that route I had no other option but to use my Activa on that route. My daily usage of Activa escalated from 10kms a day to 45kms a day.

I just wanted to know if I can deal with this problem by making adjustments to my riding style.

Should I stop riding scooter? I don't intend to upgrade at least in a year's time as I have some other commitments.
Quote:

I just wanted to know if Jupiter front suspension can be retrofitted to my Activa 125. I have been in touch with the Honda dealer for that front fork replacement. All they say is they will order it & that part never arrives. They have a front fork for the disc variant but not for the drum variant.

So I wanted to know if TVS Jupiter front and rear forks can be used as a straight fit for Activa 125.
@pravav - This is the ONLY way forward - Switch to a BIKE or a CAR (used or new). Period.

There is no scooter in India that will be comfortable for a 45km (>15km) ride everyday on bad roads and city traffic. Spending more money to upgrade your Activa will NOT solve your problem. In fact, it will further aggravate your problem. And don't even think of replacing the Activa with another scooter.

Regarding your health issue, you MUST exercise regularly. There is no short-cut to this. Health is more important than making money. So start exercises slowly and increase gradually. Only stretching exercises and simple walks are not enough for our Indian lifestyle and for your age.

Now work out your finances and replace your Activa with anything but scooter.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 08:34   #22

Since you are travelling 45km daily, you may be better off with an electric scooter/bike with a comfy suspension setup. I suggest you to take test drives of the TVS iQube/Hero Vida and decide. Also, the cost of fuel saved will cover the monthly EMI of the new scooter.
Old 21st December 2023, 13:12   #23
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but I have a story to tell. So I had the CBR250 and I felt the bike pulling to one side and I thought it was the handlebar. I took the bike to the service centre and told the mechanic about it, he checked it and told me there was nothing wrong with the bike or the handlebar. I insisted on a change and the right side was changed immediately. I rode the bike out of the ASC and lo and behold, the same problem. Now I thought, the problem was with the LHS, but I changed the RHS, I need to change the LHS, so I pestered the poor mechanic again, but this time he did not change it, he 'adjusted' it. I wasn't happy, but I had no other choice. After a few months I sold the bike and bought the CB350 and I found the same problem. The guy who bought the CBR asked me "what's wrong with this handlebar, why is it crooked", remember the mechanic had "adjusted" it? Then it hit me, it was me all along, there was nothing wrong with the handlebar. Due to a really bad chair, coupled with a bad posture at the office, I had problems on the right side of my body; lower back, shoulder and arm. If you already have problems, riding a motorcycle will only add to them.
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 19:35   #24
BHPian

I'm planning to switch from Gixxer to a scooter. I have smooth ride has primary requirement, after hearing from many about back problems.

Should I go with jupiter 125 / jupiter 110 / activa 110?

Please suggest.
Old 29th December 2023, 10:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Gunner View Post
Finally I was found to be deficient of Vitamin D3!!!
Took injection and the pain vanished like magic.
This! I developed lower back pain due to riding my H'Ness stiff rear suspension. The problem is I'm not heavy enough to load the rear suspension even at it's softest setting. With a pillion the ride quality significantly improves. After months of suffering, finally went to my doctor. She prescribed Vitamin D, Calcium and Vitamin B. The pain has drastically reduced now (though high Vitamin M would've helped even more ). Whatever little pain I have now is because of me being unfit. Back strengthening exercises are helping a little. I'm able to do long rides now, though it's limited to about 350kms at the moment.
t3rm1n80r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks