Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2024, 17:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
This scooter is nothing that reminds me of an Ather. It does not feel groundbreaking, like how the 1st gen 450 felt like. Range numbers are not outstanding, the design looks ugly to me and I don't understand why they put a drum brake at the rear; would hate it if they termed it as value engineering. I don't see why one should get this over lets say an Ola.

I am sorry but I am disappointed with this launch. Feels very under specced to me. Heck, who names a scooter Rizta
Design looks like they copied TVS iQube. Since they have advanced regen now, they might have removed the rear disc to save cost since anyway rear brakes are not exclusively applied in Ather (It's either front or combi brakes whenever you/it are/it not using regen.
ritesh_44 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 17:19   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs

Quote:
This scooter is nothing that reminds me of an Ather.
Job well done IMHO - if they are aiming for the masses. The 450 might be a brilliant product - but it never connected with the masses where as this new Rizta looks quite set to take on the Activa 125s and the likes with the 'dull' styling, practicality and somewhat competitive pricing.

The name Rizta is likely to be pronounced Rishta (like in relationship) throughout the various Hindi speaking states. May not be a bad move!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 18:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Job well done IMHO - if they are aiming for the masses. The 450 might be a brilliant product - but it never connected with the masses where as this new Rizta looks quite set to take on the Activa 125s and the likes with the 'dull' styling, practicality and somewhat competitive pricing.

The name Rizta is likely to be pronounced Rishta (like in relationship) throughout the various Hindi speaking states. May not be a bad move!
Ather trying to dilute their USPs (may I say) itself is hurting the value I have towards the brand. Ather was always that scifi brand to me, with their spaceship like 450. Will this dilution work, well that is something only time will tell.

I understand they were trying to make that family like feeling with the name Rizta but to me it simply feels too quirky. I feel they should've named it in a simple manner just like the 450. I am a fan of the Ather 450 series and this new Rizta just doesn't cut it for me. That's me, and I guess everyone wouldn't have a mindset that echoes mine.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th April 2024 at 10:32.
Old 6th April 2024, 19:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Ather trying to dilute their USP's(may I say) itself is hurting the value I have towards the brand. Ather was always that scifi brand to me, with their spaceship like 450. Will this dilution work, well that is something only time will tell.
I understand they were trying to make that family like feeling with the name Rizta but to me it simply feels too quirky. I feel they should've named it in a simple manner just like the 450. I am a fan of the Ather 450 series and this new Rizta just doesn't cut it for me. That's me, and I guess everyone wouldn't have a mindset that echoes mine.
Well there is nothing wrong in diluting your USP if it brings the much needed profits as at the end of the day they can always have one groundbreaking model and other vanilla models that can bring the profits.

P.S: If I will be in the market for an electric scooter no way I am going anything different from an Ather as they they very goooood to ride.

Last edited by Chisels121 : 6th April 2024 at 19:05.
Chisels121 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 20:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Ather trying to dilute their USP's(may I say) itself is hurting the value I have towards the brand. Ather was always that scifi brand to me, with their spaceship like 450. Will this dilution work, well that is something only time will tell.
Tarun was saying in the community event today that when they designed the 450X, they were were young and they designed it for young minds. Rizta is designed by them with family in mind and it is a pure family scooter. I loved it, was there at community event. The yellow and white model is the best. Being a family man myself, I can see that this is a good move for the company to grow. It is not like they are stopping performance scooters. Apex predator will continue to serve while Rizta builds more rishtas.
Attached Thumbnails
Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-signal20240406172037_002.jpeg  

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-riztayellow.png  

Last edited by ambandla : 6th April 2024 at 20:29.
ambandla is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 20:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Design looks like they copied TVS iQube. Since they have advanced regen now, they might have removed the rear disc to save cost since anyway rear brakes are not exclusively applied in Ather (It's either front or combi brakes whenever you/it are/it not using regen.
I thought so when I saw some spy photos. But it looks different and so much better in reality.
ambandla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 20:57   #52
Team-BHP Support

Finally an electric scooter from a brand I trust and which appeals to me aesthetically. I could never come to terms with the looks of all erstwhile Ather scooters. This is really classy looking and of course the Ather pedigree is an added bonus compared to many competitors with questionable reliability.

Well done Ather!! Can’t wait to read the reviews. What a pity their dealership spread is relatively thin at least in my city.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 21:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Closer look at the Rizta - Link

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212503_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212512_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212522_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212531_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212540_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212549_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212559_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212607_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212617_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-smartselect_20240406212627_instagram.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-20240406_212200.jpg

Ather Energy’s new electric scooter. Edit: Ather Rizta launched at Rs 1.09 lakhs-20240406_212203.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th April 2024 at 21:30.
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 22:52   #54
BHPian

This looks like proper family scooter. Checked out the website and it looks good with essential features like hill hold and magic twist regen like ola. 450 series is small and I didn't feel comfortable but this looks like a comfortable scooter.
Jordygt500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 07:28   #55
BHPian

For a family scooter, ideally they could have increased the range over the 450. The front storage is a gimmick; can be done for any scooter . But otherwise they're going in the right direction. Just make the battery bigger and restrict performance for a higher range. Kitna deti hai still seems to be the question I believe, even for electrics.
Senotrius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 09:11   #56
BHPian

Wish they had introduced single sided swing arm on the rear. It is a pain in the back to repair punctures and replace tyres on the 450 models owing to having no centre stand, weird placement of tyre valve and poor life of puncture prone MRF tyres. Now that they have introduced these boxy covers and drum brakes, its going to be even more hard I reckon.

Last edited by corvus corax : 7th April 2024 at 09:12.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 09:55   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
For a family scooter, ideally they could have increased the range over the 450. The front storage is a gimmick; can be done for any scooter . But otherwise they're going in the right direction. Just make the battery bigger and restrict performance for a higher range. Kitna deti hai still seems to be the question I believe, even for electrics.
How much range is sufficient? Are we talking about genuine 100+ KMs of commute on a 2W per day?

I actually feel increasing range beyond a point is counter productive. Increased weight, lower efficiency, higher cost.

It could also lead to people buying the scooter without setting up home charging and planning to charge on public chargers every weekend. Such buyers will quickly experience buyer's remorse because you have turned the biggest convenience of an EV which is to charge at home overnight to its biggest inconvenience. For those who cannot do home/office charging, it's best to stay away from EVs.
shyampsunder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 10:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
How much range is sufficient? Are we talking about genuine 100+ KMs of commute on a 2W per day?

I actually feel increasing range beyond a point is counter productive. Increased weight, lower efficiency, higher cost.

It could also lead to people buying the scooter without setting up home charging and planning to charge on public chargers every weekend. Such buyers will quickly experience buyer's remorse because you have turned the biggest convenience of an EV which is to charge at home overnight to its biggest inconvenience. For those who cannot do home/office charging, it's best to stay away from EVs.
I believe 130 would be sweet spot. With 85km range, we end up charging 450X twice a week. With 150 range, I would charge over weekend. If I have own house and have proper charging point setup, even 85km range would be good. But majority in cities live in rented houses where the only option is to pull cable from a plug point. With this, anything that give me scooter one week run (30kms per day, 3 weekdays to office) with single charge is perfect. Not to forget overnight battery usage.
ambandla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 12:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambandla View Post
I believe 130 would be sweet spot. With 85km range, we end up charging 450X twice a week. With 150 range, I would charge over weekend. If I have own house and have proper charging point setup, even 85km range would be good. But majority in cities live in rented houses where the only option is to pull cable from a plug point. With this, anything that give me scooter one week run (30kms per day, 3 weekdays to office) with single charge is perfect. Not to forget overnight battery usage.
Precisely my point. I live in a rented house in a multi storey apartment. I charge my car on a 15A plug point at my own parking spot that has been professionally installed from my meter. We have roughly 30 EV 2Ws and 10 EV 4Ws in the apartment complex. My office also has 15A plug points for cars and 2Ws.

Solution to the problem is working with RWAs and installing plug points at parking slots. Not adapt the ICE refuelling pattern. Even with 150 KMs of true range, it will burn hours traveling to a public charger every week as well as paying a higher rate.

It converts the biggest convenience of EVs to its biggest inconvenience. Even if someone launches 2W EVs with 150 KMs of true range. As a die hard EV enthusiast, I will strongly recommend them not to buy it unless they have charging setup at home or office.
Old 7th April 2024, 12:35   #60

What's up with the EV manufacturers cramping in features but not one of them is interested in providing basic ABS.

ABS is definitely higher on the priority list for most people than let's say traction control.

I feel like it should be compulsory on most vehicles anything above 1 lac atleast.
ruskyhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed