Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 20:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR

Finally I have some good news to share!

Got to drive downhill and uphill this evening for over 7Kms.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240309202448205_com.olaelectric.companionedit.jpg

And my recent observations are as follows:-

1. The 'tuk tuk' noise from the hub motor is gone after Move OS4 update, and the drive has become smooth again.

2. I had episodes of scooter loosing power on my last drive to this location and route, but today the drive was stopless and flawless, just as it should have been, smooth and peppy like when the scooter was new.

3. The lower power consumption is in Normal mode going downhill, the higher power consumption is while coming back up in Normal mode again. Scooter occupancy was me and my son, around 100Kgs combined weight.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240309202555458_com.olaelectric.companionedit.jpg

My ride statistics in various Drive Modes is summarised inthe attachment above, from ever since I bought the scooter.

I will do one more long drive in the coming week, and if that is uneventful, I will be ready to recommend this scooter to people living in the hills. Till then, wait for more updates.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th March 2024 at 22:10. Reason: As requested.
Old 29th April 2024, 11:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Been a long time since I updated the thread. I still haven't gone again towards Atal Tunnel to check the loss of power issue, but in regular short runs that I have done around Manali since after the Move OS4 update, I am happy to report that the scooter has become silent and trouble free with no new niggles to report.

Finally, I am ready to recommend Ola S1 Air to people in the hills, but still would suggest to pay a little more and get the S1 Pro Gen2, due to lack of Hill Hold feature in the Air models, and it's availability in the Pro Gen2 models.

Another important update is that the only Ola Experience Centre near me, in Kullu (50Kms away) has shut shop. Now, the nearest Experience Centre and Service Centre are in Mandi, about 110Kms away.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Been a long time since I updated the thread. I still haven't gone again towards Atal Tunnel to check the loss of power issue, but in regular short runs that I have done around Manali since after the Move OS4 update, I am happy to report that the scooter has become silent and trouble free with no new niggles to report.

Finally, I am ready to recommend Ola S1 Air to people in the hills, but still would suggest to pay a little more and get the S1 Pro Gen2, due to lack of Hill Hold feature in the Air models, and it's availability in the Pro Gen2 models.

Another important update is that the only Ola Experience Centre near me, in Kullu (50Kms away) has shut shop. Now, the nearest Experience Centre and Service Centre are in Mandi, about 110Kms away.
Thanks for the update! Good to know that you don’t have any major issues now. I have been considering Ola S1 air, Ather 450x, TVS iQube, Rizta (if deliveries aren’t too delayed). My usage would be very less.

I’ve been inclined towards ola since beginning as I like how it looks and I really want ola to succeed. But I was so disappointed reading about all niggles all over the reviews.

As a longterm ola owner, Would you recommend an S1 air? Or should I consider any other option?
Old 4th May 2024, 23:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpine101 View Post
Thanks for the update! Good to know that you don’t have any major issues now. I have been considering Ola S1 air, Ather 450x, TVS iQube, Rizta (if deliveries aren’t too delayed). My usage would be very less.

I’ve been inclined towards ola since beginning as I like how it looks and I really want ola to succeed. But I was so disappointed reading about all niggles all over the reviews.

As a longterm ola owner, Would you recommend an S1 air? Or should I consider any other option?
If the features suit your needs, knowing that your running will also be very less, I would recommend the Air. If the running is more, then S1X 4kW or Pro Gen2.

If you live in the hills, then definitely only Pro Gen2, as only this model currently comes with the Hill Hold and Hill Descent features, which I sorely miss here in the hills.

All the very best for your purchase decision! Another update is that today I went about 18-19Kms away, down till Katrain for some work and came back after a 10 minutes stop. Thankfully, no problems, and the drive was a breeze with no issues to report. Drive Stats are in the images below:

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240504232920367_com.olaelectric.companionedit.jpg

Low consumption on the downhill section, and over double consumption in the uphill drive from Katrain. Being a highway, I was using Cruise Control whenever possible to give rest to my Right Wrist.
Old 10th June 2024, 21:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of failed attempts, I was able to do what had been impossible till before Move OS4, i.e. ride up to Atal Tunnel Rohtang, in my SAIR.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240610211123575_com.google.android.apps.photosedit.jpg

It wasn't without problems and difficulties, which I have documented in the video attached below:

Stats from the drive are attached below:

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240609193026761_com.olaelectric.companion.jpg

After this, I am finally in a position to recommend people from the hills to buy an Ola, but just for range's sake, try to buy the S1X 4kWh or Gen2 Pro. Out of these, just for the Hill Hold feature, I would recommend the Gen2 Pro!

I just wish I had saved some more and bought the Gen2 Pro model from the start, but now I am happy even with this little progress in my SAIR. Hope it helps other people looking for Ola as their ride, even in the hills!
Old 15th June 2024, 18:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Did a little experiment this afternoon:

The panel is of 50 watts, but the battery which I am using for my solar setup is old, so I could only charge it for 1% before the cut off voltage happened and the inverter shut off.

Will try again some day, and see how long can I charge my scooter with just solar power and save on charging costs at home!

Experts can advise on how to suitably charge my scooter (750 watts charger included with my scooter) with Solar power with my current setup, which includes:
1. 1000 watts Inverter (1000 watts peak power and 500 watts sustained power)
2. 50 watts Solar Panel
3. 10A Solar Charge Controller
4. 36Ah old car Battery
Old 15th June 2024, 21:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Experts can advise on how to suitably charge my scooter (750 watts charger included with my scooter) with Solar power with my current setup, which includes:
1. 1000 watts Inverter (1000 watts peak power and 500 watts sustained power)
2. 50 watts Solar Panel
3. 10A Solar Charge Controller
4. 36Ah old car Battery
With a fully charged 36Ah battery which is typically rated for C20 rating, It won't last more then 5min with a 750 watt load, more over using a car battery which is designed for high cranking amps is not recommended for continuous power draw applications.

The only way you can meaningfully charge with solar is by upgrading your inverter and solar panel to 1000 watt capacity. You could get away using your existing inverter when the scooter battery SOC is high, but you will either need to upgrade the battery to 200Ah capacity or upgrade the solar panel to 750 watt minimum. Both of these options cost roughly the same around 18k to 20k. Inverter should also be solar mppt capable.

To charge the 200Ah battery via solar, it would take 7 days of sunlight with your current 50 watt panel.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 02:41   #38

Quote:
I did the same route this evening entirely in Sports mode, I was able to go and come back for 7.8Kms one way without the scooter switching off even once. Not too sure about the range in Normal and Sports modes, but this definitely was much relief to be able to drive without stopping and becoming a joker on the roadside.

But, due to the sudden pick up of the Sports mode, when I started back on gravel road, the scooter slipped and I got first road damage / scratch on the Front Left Panel this evening.

That hurts. We need to learn controlling the throttle. That's the reason Ola is not allowing more sensitive throttle at low speeds and limits power which is being mocked by rest of the industry and competitors like Ather and even cheap Chinese low powered scooter.

Quote:
* As it was all downhill and traffic jam, I didn't even cross 35Km/Hr in normal mode.
* I have stopped using Regen, and kept it on low setting now, as I thought that earlier I used to use forced Regen a lot, and then sudden acceleration would cause this issue sometimes.
* I'm a very sedate driver, even the 70Km speed limit on Normal mode felt like I'm driving too fast in the scooter when I went to Kullu, do not want to try the 90Km/Hr speed limit in Sports mode here in the hills. I keep the speed comfortable between 30-50Km per hour, and do not throttle aggressively, unless I suddenly need to overtake!
* Plus in near freezing temperatures in the late evening, how much will the battery or motor heat up going downhill without Regen, and only brakes?

I'm really not understanding this electric drive I think, riding on Petrol scooters is so much easier in that sense.

But, I will persevere, and will learn the mechanics and driving dynamics, so that I can also upgrade to an electric 4 wheeler in the future, when my Aria can no longer be re-registered!
You need to learn taming the torque! Remember "With great power, comes greater responsibilities!"

You can't compare with 5 to 10 times lesser torque vehicles. Do you know how much cooling do Superbikes need? You have torque equivalent to them on a small scooter. Side effects will happen if you don't use it responsibly.

#ridingstylematters
#modesdontmatter

Remember this I use everywhere? Just need to learn riding effortlessly and sensibly.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th August 2024 at 03:39. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
prankey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 23:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240915234025495_com.whatsappedit.jpg

Recieved this on my WhatsApp yesterday evening.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20240915_112121.jpg

So, I downloaded the new update

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20240915_112217.jpg

And installed it in my SAIR

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20240915_112104.jpg

Haven't checked for any performance or battery upgrades yet

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20240915_112256.jpg

But I hope that there are no problems after this update

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20240915_112351.jpg

And I continue with my fuss free ownership, as the scooter nears 1 year since it's purchase.

By the way, I have just about covered 750 off kilometres in these 11 months

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks