Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 14:53   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Thank you Venky03, except the occasional front suspension thud, otherwise it is handling the hills pretty well! No qualms there...
Nice review Aditya. Welcome to the ola family. Now we have 2 vehicles in common( yes I own a triber )

Iam surprised you are able to use the scooter In eco mode to drive on hill roads. My s1 hardly clears the normal speed breakers in eco mode and I never use it except when the battery drops below 15 percent and eco mode is the only mode available.

Congratulations on your new ride and hope all your issues are resolved. One thing I can say from my 1yr and 7500kms of ola s1 riding experience is that the scooter itself is good but God forbid if you face a service requirement then it's all upto the mercy of the ola service centers which have become well known now for their despicable treatment.
Ev_junkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 15:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev_junkie View Post
Nice review Aditya. Welcome to the ola family. Now we have 2 vehicles in common (yes I own a triber )

Iam surprised you are able to use the scooter In eco mode to drive on hill roads. My s1 hardly clears the normal speed breakers in eco mode and I never use it except when the battery drops below 15 percent and eco mode is the only mode available.

Congratulations on your new ride and hope all your issues are resolved. One thing I can say from my 1yr and 7500kms of ola s1 riding experience is that the scooter itself is good but God forbid if you face a service requirement then it's all upto the mercy of the ola service centers which have become well known now for their despicable treatment.
Wow! I still miss my Triber, but Aria makes up with it's more space and AWD capabilities. Let's just say I am over-compensating by having a 10+ years Diesel burner and an Electric Scooter

I will try and make a video of my drives after the snow season. It actually pulls very nicely even on most steep inclines in Eco mode, I'm surprised why your S1 struggles with just speed breakers? Can it be the difference between a Hub Motors (S1 Air) and Mid Mounted Motor (S1) setup?

I have been advised to use Sport or Normal mode by many owners, but keeping in mind my return journey, I prefer the Eco mode unless I am running short on time. Let's see what the service technicians say, when they eventually come home or take my scooter to Mandi.

No one has even called me for Service Appointment even after raising close to 7 requests on different dates via the app. The only point of contact in Kullu Ola Experience Centre has left his job and gone, so I have no one to contact now.

But, asking as it works, it's a dream ride with silence and awesome features and a bright light setup for night drives. I love the scooter, if I do not look at the motor shutting while driving suddenly!

Wishing you many more e-miles, I haven't even crossed 350Kms in 2+ months of my ownership! As I worte initially, it's just meant for leisure drives, not commuting. So, I'm okay with my experiences so far.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

As the Owner's Manual of an Ola S1 Air is not available online, I am going to attach screenshots of the same in the PDF link below, hope it helps someone in the future:-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ola S1 Air Owner's Manual December 2023.pdf (8.51 MB, 854 views)
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 23:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

First Online Servicing Experience!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20231219232233053_com.olacabs.customer2.jpg

So, after owning SAIR for around 2 months and 10 odd days, I finally got a message and email on the 19th of December, that my scooter is out for delivery and then it showed Delivered!

After this my Ola Care+ Plan and Extended Warranty also got Activated! So, I thought let me put up another Service Request and see, maybe they'll do something about it, now that the scooter is showing Delivered.

This time I put in the request through the Ola electric website after logging in, and not from the App, as I usually did till now. And it worked!

I got a call from the Ola Service Centre guy on Saturday afternoon asking me what problem I was facing. I told him that while riding (short trips or long, doesn't matter), I suddenly hear a thud sound, and then the scooter stops accelerating. It is still on, but changing the mode or accelerating doesn't help. Sometimes it gets better with just a Reboot, sometimes I need to keep it off for 15-30 minutes, and then I can use it again.

So, he asked me to unlock my scooter, and press this '?' icon 4-5 times, I didn't know this also is of importance!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1359512.jpg

Upon clicking there, I reached this screen. The service technician asked me to send this screenshot to him on WhatsApp, and then he told me an OTP to enter in the displayed keypad to enter the Diagnostic Mode of the scooter!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1355302.jpg

After entering into the Diagnostic Mode, I was asked to press the 'Scooter Mode' and choose 'Service' option for them to be able to work on my scooter.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1356533.jpg

I was asked to click on the 'i' button next to the Green 3D Fix button towards Top Right to proceed.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1359302.jpg

After switching to the 'Service Mode', the status of the Diagnostic Server changed for Red to Green, indicating that they're connected now.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1358082.jpg

These details, and a few more values were then seen in a scroll down page! Not sharing all of them, because I will have hidden most of them before sharing here!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1358152.jpg

After they had got the data that they required about my issue, he asked me to Exit the Service Mode!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231223_1359432.jpg

Then he asked me to check on the scooter after 2-3 hours, telling me that I will get a notification to download an update, and that should solve my problem. But, I didn't get anything on Saturday, not even till before I went off to sleep.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111319.jpg

He called me on Sunday morning, but I still did not get any download notification. Then he called me again today morning saying that he had asked the back end team to do this on priority, and so I went out to check my scooter, and there was an ongoing Download indicator on the screen bottom, as I had kept "Auto Download Updates" in the ON position.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111333.jpg

The update was for Move OS 3.1.6, and the size is 1.03GB, as can be seen in the screenshot above.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111418.jpg

Software update related details!

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111512.jpg

Once the software was downloaded, I was given to option to install now! I didn't read back then, but Ola Electric suggests Rebooting the scooter before installing a new update.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111519.jpg

Thankfully I didn't encounter any error, and the update took about 1 hour and 1% battery juice to install.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_111541.jpg

Upon restarting, I was greeted by this message, which I closed as I have seen it earlier too. It has info about features not even present in the Air models, and hence is a waste of time.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_123457.jpg

Was shown this update information again in the Software Update tab of the vehicle settings.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_123856.jpg

Finally my new software is installed and ready to use.

My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-img_20231225_1235232.jpg

* I still haven't had the time to go out for a long spin and test out if anything has changed at all, or is the scooter still having those performance issues.
* I haven't found any new UI changes, or Feature additions in my scooter.
* There is so much traffic jam and tourist rush in Manali these days, that going out on the road is a bad decision, unless I want to inhale all the smoke coming from vehicles stuck in hours long traffic jams, so will update about this problem once I actually get to test out my scooter probably around the New Year or after that, once this rush is over!

Hope this helps others out there. Thanks to connected tech, the service technician didn't even have to visit me in person to sort these bugs, just sitting in his office in Mandi and giving orders saved him a 120Kms trip (one side) in the busiest time of the year, on the Mandi-Manali highway.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 25th December 2023 at 23:06. Reason: Title change
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:49   #20
BHPian

@AdityaDeane, quite surprising that your vehicle didn't come with latest version of OS3. Was your vehicle running OS2 or a lower version of OS3.?. As you said the good thing about connected tech is the possibility of remote support. Bad thing is only company support can resolve issues and we cannot rely on roadside repair guys.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
@AdityaDeane, quite surprising that your vehicle didn't come with latest version of OS3. Was your vehicle running OS2 or a lower version of OS3.?. As you said the good thing about connected tech is the possibility of remote support. Bad thing is only company support can resolve issues and we cannot rely on roadside repair guys.
It came with Move OS3.1.1 out of the box (truck if you may ), and only now got an update after my service request.

Yeah, another bad thing is that the Service Guys will get the OTP to login after pressing that ? Button repeatedly, so I cannot tinker with any settings once logged out
Old 29th December 2023, 09:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Online Servicing Experience!

Quote:
Finally my new software is installed and ready to use.

Attachment 2548505

* I still haven't had the time to go out for a long spin and test out if anything has changed at all, or is the scooter still having those performance issues.

We'll, as expected, I went for a short spin on Wednesday evening, and had planned to go downhill, as I would have encountered more traffic if I drove towards Solang.

I drove down from the Mall Road towards the Volvo Bus Stand and Rangri, and after 3.3Kms of drive, the scooter had a similar power loss, I was driving in Normal mode.

As it was downhill, I changed to Sport mode, but still no acceleration. I switched back to Normal mode, I was able to accelerate and drive back home. Nothing happened on the drive back, it even climbed the steep Police Station incline and didn't loose power or behave erratically.

I have informed the Service Technician regarding this! I hope this sad saga ends soon, and with proper Move OS4 update, all these issues are a thing of the past.
Old 29th December 2023, 11:38   #23

It may be expected as earlier discussed on our WhatsApp group based on Motor and Battery temperature. Use low throttle to avoid this loss of power and overheating as too much use of regen may also overheat them
Old 29th December 2023, 12:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankey View Post
It may be expected as earlier discussed on our WhatsApp group based on Motor and Battery temperature. Use low throttle to avoid this loss of power and overheating as too much use of regen may also overheat them
* As it was all downhill and traffic jam, I didn't even cross 35Km/Hr in normal mode.
* I have stopped using Regen, and kept it on low setting now, as I thought that earlier I used to use forced Regen a lot, and then sudden acceleration would cause this issue sometimes.
* I'm a very sedate driver, even the 70Km speed limit on Normal mode felt like I'm driving too fast in the scooter when I went to Kullu, do not want to try the 90Km/Hr speed limit in Sports mode here in the hills. I keep the speed comfortable between 30-50Km per hour, and do not throttle aggressively, unless I suddenly need to overtake!
* Plus in near freezing temperatures in the late evening, how much will the battery or motor heat up going downhill without Regen, and only brakes?

I'm really not understanding this electric drive I think, riding on Petrol scooters is so much easier in that sense.

But, I will persevere, and will learn the mechanics and driving dynamics, so that I can also upgrade to an electric 4 wheeler in the future, when my Aria can no longer be re-registered!
Old 29th December 2023, 17:08   #25
BHPian

I would actually suggest riding entirely in sports mode and see if there is any wide difference in range between Normal and Sport mode in same route. My guess, based on my experience, is that there won't be any as long as you ride just the same way you ride. In fact sports mode might give you better range if you touch speeds of 50 in Normal mode.

And with regard to the power loss issues it is probably the very cold temperatures which might be causing the battery to act up not motor heating up.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 29th December 2023 at 17:10.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 20:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankey View Post
It may be expected as earlier discussed on our WhatsApp group based on Motor and Battery temperature. Use low throttle to avoid this loss of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I would actually suggest riding entirely in sports mode and see if there is any wide difference in range between Normal and Sport mode in same route. My guess, based on my experience, is that there won't be any as long as you ride just the same way you ride. In fact sports mode might give you better range if you touch speeds of 50 in Normal mode.

And with regard to the power loss issues it is probably the very cold temperatures which might be causing the battery to act up not motor heating up.
I did the same route this evening entirely in Sports mode, I was able to go and come back for 7.8Kms one way without the scooter switching off even once. Not too sure about the range in Normal and Sports modes, but this definitely was much relief to be able to drive without stopping and becoming a joker on the roadside.

But, due to the sudden pick up of the Sports mode, when I started back on gravel road, the scooter slipped and I got first road damage / scratch on the Front Left Panel this evening.
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:

But, due to the sudden pick up of the Sports mode, when I started back on gravel road, the scooter slipped and I got first road damage / scratch on the Front Left Panel this evening.
Feel sorry for the damage you faced, but the drive dynamics takes some time getting used to. I own a activa too for more than 6 years and trust me once you get used to the smooth acceleration and the comfy ride of the s1 you will never want to ride any other scooter.
Ev_junkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 22:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR-screenshot_20240113215747324_com.google.android.apps.photosedit.jpg

Quote:
So will update about this problem once I actually get to test out my scooter probably around the New Year or after that, once this rush is over!
So, finally this afternoon I got a chance to go out for a long-ish drive, and even though the problem is still there to an extent, I have some good news to share.

So, I rode for 21kms today, and went in all directions from Manali, uphill, downhill, all in Normal mode. I have kept the Regen on Low now, and have stopped using forced Regen entirely.

I stopped for 5 minutes after a 13Kms ride, and the scooter rode flawlessly all this while. When I restarted after the 5 minute break, I noticed that the scooter is losing power again during riding, but unlike on previous instances when I had to switch the scooter off and wait for a few minutes, I noticed that coming to a complete halt and then accelerating again solved my problem, and I didn't have to switch off the scooter and restart it even once. It did happen about 5-6 times in those last 7-8 Kilometres.

I rode from Manali to Nehru Kund, crossed over towards Burwa and drove till the Palchan Bridge, then rode up towards Majhach till the Bada Pathar Bridge, and finally rode back towards Manali via Manalsu Bridge and back to our campus. The ride took about 1 hour or so, and I am happy that the problem is somewhat solved now, as it is not as problematic as it used to be till before the Move OS3.1.6 update.

I hope that the situation will be even better after receiving the Move OS4 update, that a few of our S1 Air Owner's have received, as per the Telegram Group confirmations. Looking forward to a problem free ownership from here on.
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Finally I have some good news about my Ola!

No, I still haven't received my Move OS4 stable update!

But, I did a 2 person ride from Manali to Patlikuhal and back in Normal mode today, and I am happy to report that the scooter didn't switch off even once. I have stopped using Forced Regeneration. I have kept the scooter Regen to Low.

Combined, we both weighed close to 160Kgs, and I did the whole journey in Normal mode, while using the Sport mode only while climbing the steep incline near the Volvo Bus Stand to Police Station.

We started with 91% SOC and reached Patlikuhal at 78% charge. Started back almost immediately as the shop was closed, and reached Manali at 35% charge.

A total distance of 35 Kilometres, and we lost 13% to cover the 18Kms distance downwards, and lost 43% to cover the return journey of 17Kms.

The tak tak sound from the hub motors continues since after upgrading to Move OS3.1.6, but my recent driving experiences have brought my smile back, finally a Happy New Year for me and my SAIR!
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 18:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Received Move OS4 in my SAIR this Thursday evening, here is a video review of the updates in the Ola Electric App:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks