Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2023, 16:52   #1
BHPian

How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?

Background info:
A bike slammed onto my bike's exhaust pipe, and the bend pipe cracked close to where the exhaust pipe enters the engine. The Hero Honda authorised showroom got it welded at a local welder for Rs.300. Around a year later, the weld came off, and a local mechanic got it welded from another welder for Rs.250. Today I found out it should've cost only Rs.100 or Rs.150.
This was the earlier weld:
Name:  weld.png
Views: 402
Size:  145.8 KB
This is the crack now:
How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?-crack.jpg
How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?-nocrack.jpg
This is what the remaining part of the bend pipe looks like:
How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?-wholebendpipe.jpg
This is where it could be cut to attach a new bend pipe:
How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?-connectiontosilencer.jpg

Problems:
1. The Hero Honda authorised service center says the exhaust systems of 2006 model Splendor plus bikes are no longer available. Not even the bend pipe.
2. One local auto-parts store showed me a heavy and longer bend pipe, claiming it's for the Splendor plus (Rs.320), but I measured it and knew they lied. Another auto-parts store said they don't supply bend pipes.
3. The welders don't know what material they are using for the filler rod. Since the bend pipe is made of mild steel, they should use a mild steel filler rod and TIG welding. But they use gas welding and a 2mm diameter rod which is copper coloured on the outside. One guy said it's MS, but when I asked if it's mild steel, he didn't know. Even after I told him that MS is mild steel, he just kept quiet.
4. If I get it welded from these local welders, the weld will fall off after a year again.

Questions:
1. I need to know what can be done as a long-term solution. Is it better to buy a new bend pipe and cut the exhaust pipe at the portion shown and attach the new bend pipe, or is it better to just weld it at the crack?
2. I'm near R.T.Nagar, Bangalore. Do you know any place I could buy a bend pipe of the right size, and anyone who can weld it to the silencer in such a way that the weld does not break? How much do you think it should cost? (the guy who said "MS" told me the bend pipe may cost Rs.300, and welding it to the silencer could cost Rs.250)

Last edited by NavBHP : 8th November 2023 at 16:55. Reason: typo
NavBHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 15:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
Is it better to buy a new bend pipe and cut the exhaust pipe at the portion shown and attach the new bend pipe
Best possible solution, next to changing the entire silencer.

Quote:
or is it better to just weld it at the crack?
It will fail again. Portion near the exhaust manifold will under high thermal stress and with 2 different metals (bend pipe and filler) the weaker one will fail again.

Quote:
How much do you think it should cost? (the guy who said "MS" told me the bend pipe may cost Rs.300, and welding it to the silencer could cost Rs.250)
That's a fair price.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 15:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
It will fail again. Portion near the exhaust manifold will under high thermal stress and with 2 different metals (bend pipe and filler) the weaker one will fail again.
This is what I wanted to know. Thanks. So then I'll go for just welding it at the crack for now and meanwhile search for how I can buy the entire exhaust system. A few minutes ago customer support directed me to their eshop which has it listed https://eshop.heromotocorp.com/catal...+splendor+plus but it isn't available for my pin code. I'll write to them to try and make it available. Surprisingly, the two places I used to go to, that were supposed to be authorised service centres, aren't listed on their website.
NavBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

NavBHP, you are in Bangalore, which at one time had a thriving 2 stroke drag racing scene. Find any half decent fabricator of 2 stroke expansion chambers and bend pipes. This will be a piece of cake for them, as all you need is a correct length collar welded on. Of uniform diameter (i.e. not even tapered). That would be your best bet for a neat job that will not break.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
1. The Hero Honda authorised service center says the exhaust systems of 2006 model Splendor plus bikes are no longer available. Not even the bend pipe.
If new exhausts are not available (i doubt this), then you can try seconds at the Shivaji Nagar Gujri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
NavBHP, you are in Bangalore, which at one time had a thriving 2 stroke drag racing scene. Find any half decent fabricator of 2 stroke expansion chambers and bend pipes.
Best place to do that would be triveni road. Most of these guys were once upon a time 2 stroke racers. They do all kinds of exhausts.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 18:35   #6
BHPian

The local gas welders near my house appear to be using these kind of filler rods (mild steel with copper coating). From what I've understood about exhausts, there are positive (pressure) and negative (suction) waves which need to move through properly shaped ducts of the right length, so that it helps the piston motion. So buying a new one would be a first preference, since there's no guarantee that the fabricators understand the concept well, and would connect the bend pipe correctly.
Quote:
Find any half decent fabricator of 2 stroke expansion chambers and bend pipes.
I found this blog post when searching for fabricators of expansion chambers. Closer to my place there's an SS Dream Modify & Tinkering and SAP Motorcycle Labs. Also found Finetouch ss Tig welding & buffing work which seems to be for metal banisters etc, and not for bikes. Heaven knows if all these guys are thorough professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Shivaji Nagar Gujri and triveni road.
A friend told me about the Shivaji Nagar Gujri. He also said I'd have to be extremely careful, since there's a good chance they'd give me the wrong part. This problem I've already encountered at an auto parts store (mentioned in the initial post). Searching on Google Maps for Triveni road shops shows a welding equipment supplier. Two welders near my place told me that I could get a good welding done at Govindpura. Triveni road is a bit far, and Govindpura is closer.

What really matters is in finding a reliable contact who welds the parts properly and doesn't overcharge. For now I've written to Hero Motocorp, requesting for where I can buy a new muffler.
NavBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 21:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Its just a bend pipe. There is nothing complicated inside it. What you need to be more afraid of is cracking the head collar where it sits.
Any place making after market exhausts like megaphones for Bullets will do it for you too.

Cheers, Doc
Old 9th November 2023, 21:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Catch hold of a mechanic - may be through a friend. They will have the means to find spares from scrapped bikes.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 23:04   #9
BHPian

OE chrome silencer for old Splendor plus is long discontinued, but that of Passion plus is very much still available. Part number is 18350KWAH10S and MRP is ₹1550. It is still listed on Hero's official online spares shop and any authorised Hero spares dealer can easily source it for you. Passion plus silencer is direct fit on Splendor. Both models have same silencer, the only difference is that Passion's muffler part has 2 brackets for installing a heat shield. Changing the full exhaust is the best option in my opinion. Welding the bend pipe is not much useful, it will leak again sooner or later.
RD410 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 20:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
...Any place making after market exhausts like megaphones for Bullets will do it for you too.
Cheers, Doc
Ok. I'm planning to go to various places to search, in the coming week. To find a new bend pipe and weld it to my existing silencer, I need to find a diligent, reliable person who would create a strong weld and also keep in mind the exact measurements required for the pressure wave and suction wave to work well. Google searching is only going to show me places where I can get it done. I was hoping to get references of reliable, diligent people who do the job well at reasonable rates. If you know someone, please do mention it here or via a private message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Catch hold of a mechanic - may be through a friend. They will have the means to find spares from scrapped bikes.
Had already spoken to a mechanic. Problem is in knowing if they can be trusted. He didn't even know what material rod was used for welding. Getting cheated with some cheap quality part and then needing to shell out a lot more is what worries me. I'll ask around a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD410 View Post
OE chrome silencer for old Splendor plus is long discontinued, but that of Passion plus is very much still available. Part number is 18350KWAH10S and MRP is ₹1550. It is still listed on Hero's official online spares shop and any authorised Hero spares dealer can easily source it for you. Passion plus silencer is direct fit on Splendor. Both models have same silencer, the only difference is that Passion's muffler part has 2 brackets for installing a heat shield. Changing the full exhaust is the best option in my opinion. Welding the bend pipe is not much useful, it will leak again sooner or later.
Part 18350KWAH10S is what I linked to in my earlier posts. Hero Honda's Bangalore head office confirmed today that it isn't available. They are offering me a different one for Rs.4535. But that's far too expensive for something that can break easily, and I'm told the sound from it is different, which means it isn't the right length for silencing the noise and for the pressure & suction waves. Since their manufacturing centres are mostly in north India, I wrote to the Delhi office to consider manufacturing those mufflers again, since there are lakhs of Splendor Pluses which would still need it.
Old 18th November 2023, 20:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
It's an old bike sold in great numbers. Have you tried gujri or scrap yard? You may find an exhaust setup that is good enough for a decent price.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 18th November 2023 at 20:56.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 21:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had already spoken to a mechanic. Problem is in knowing if they can be trusted. He didn't even know what material rod was used for welding. Getting cheated with some cheap quality part and then needing to shell out a lot more is what worries me. I'll ask around a bit more..
Ask around for references to good mechanics. That's the key part.

OTOH, if you are a walk-in customer, the mechanic will also see with you some lack of trust about your coming back for an item you ask him to find. In case you still do a walk-in, then look at the bikes they are working on - this will give you an idea.

Ex: if you were to search for work on a 2-stroker, then see if the shop has 2-strokes parked out side, and being worked on.

Last edited by condor : 18th November 2023 at 21:43.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
They are offering me a different one for Rs.4535. But that's far too expensive for something that can break easily, and I'm told the sound from it is different
Yours being a 2006 make, which means it's an original Honda spec AC ignition, low compression
Euro 2 Splendor, which Hero produced from 2000- 2012. This version of Splendor came with 2 types of silencers. From 2000-2009 it had stainless steel 'non-cat' silencer, which cost only ₹1.5k. This stainless steel exhaust has weak bend pipe and breakage is a common issue. Then for model year 2010-12, Hero updated it with black powder coated exhaust, which has a catalytic converter to comply with bs3 norms. Exhaust was the only change, rest everything was same. It is this black catcon exhaust that costs ₹4.5k (part no - 18350KWA940S). It has a thicker and much stronger bend pipe, which will never break. I can assure because I had a bs3 Hero Honda which I used for 1.5 lakh kms and the bend pipe was solid. You can fit the black catcon silencer on your 2006 Splendor, it will work completely fine. Exhaust note will become bassier and you may feel slight increase in low end torque. I do not recommend it only because the catcon exhaust is expensive. If you want the older stainless steel one, then any good scrap yard will offer you lots of used examples. But you will need to carefully choose and then further refurbishment would be required. Or you can look at third party, after-market ones from GCL, Zadon, etc. But they are of much lower quality.
RD410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 16:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. The welders don't know what material they are using for the filler rod. Since the bend pipe is made of mild steel, they should use a mild steel filler rod and TIG welding. But they use gas welding and a 2mm diameter rod which is copper coloured on the outside. One guy said it's MS, but when I asked if it's mild steel, he didn't know. Even after I told him that MS is mild steel, he just kept quiet.
It is called Brazing. He needs SS304 or SS316 rods if he decides to braze. The copper (colored) ones will not fuse together over your SS exhaust.

Correct way is to TIG Weld, you need to find a TIG welder and take your bike along, he has to tack weld on the bike and take the silencer out for full weld. TIG welders charge a premium to recover equipment costs. TIG (or) even MIG welding can suffice. But the rod needs to be SS for this application.

Quote:
...Also found Finetouch ss Tig welding & buffing work which seems to be for...
Can work if one can teach him what needs to be done. Welder only welds, they can do magic under the right supervisor.

---------
EDIT
Go to Shivaji nagar, you will spend the same 1000-1200 for a nearly new condition silencer. If you are lucky you can trade in your old silencer for 150-200rs.

Last edited by svsantosh : 21st November 2023 at 16:46.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 10:14   #15
BHPian

@RD410. Thanks. Knowing the reason (Bharat Stage emission norms) was helpful in understanding why the company insisted on a new one. Still, they could've manufactured a cheaper one for bikes like Splendor (the new one is Rs.4535, and the old one is Rs.1550). A friend says that if the company isn't willing to sell the old version muffler, one option would be to ask them to sell it to a scrap dealer, and then we could purchase it from the scrap dealer. I spoke with the Karnataka head who is in charge of vehicle parts, and although he was a polite gentleman who offered to find a solution, there was no reply and even followups didn't help. Couldn't find part 18350KWA940S on eshop though.
@svsantosh: Thanks. I don't think brazing would apply in this case. It'd be welding. For now I used a large spanner and removed the muffler myself. Took it to an amateur welding shop, and he welded it for Rs.60 (compared to the Rs.200 or Rs.300 that mechanics were quoting) and quenched the weld in water. I know it isn't a strong weld, but I needed it for temporary use until I figure something out.
I'll have a look in the Shivajinagar gujri too in due time.
@GustyGibbon: If the company isn't willing to sell me the old version silencer due to BS4 norms, it made me wonder if using an old silencer would cause disqualification, when doing the fitness test few years later. The bike has already been through its first fitness test successfully a couple of years back.
@condor: I have asked around for references. The problem is with people's judgement of mechanics. Twice, people pointed me to their 'trusted' mechanics based on mechanics who have been nice to them. But when I get into technical details, I find that the mechanic knows nothing. They couldn't figure out that the tsssk sound coming from the engine was due to a head gasket leakage. I'll figure something out about how to select a mechanic. When I finally found a capable mechanic, I also found that he overcharges, and isn't willing to explain things, thinking that if he explains it, I'll do the repairs myself.

Thanks a lot everyone. One thing I found out from the company, is that since the old muffler is listed on their eshop, it means that it is available in their manufacturing hub or as dead inventory somewhere, and it's just a matter of bringing it to Bangalore. However, due to BS4 norms and/or the impracticality of transporting it to Bangalore, they aren't doing it.
So for an old vehicle, the only option seems to be:
1. To go for the expensive new muffler, or
2. Get the existing one refurbished and welded at a place where they design/create new mufflers (there are some such places in Bangalore), or
3. Buy one from the Shivajinagar gujri or any other auto-parts store that has a compatible muffler.
Precaution: as per a review, some mufflers might just be the exhaust pipe, without a silencer inside. So it's important to check by attaching it to the bike and testing it, before making a full payment. I assume you'd know by the weight of the muffler too. The silencer is quite heavy (1kg at a minimum).

This would be the end of the discussion for me....unless I come across any other useful information to share. I'm very grateful for all the tips and pointers you've given.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you repair a cracked bend pipe of motorcycles?-weldtemp.jpg  

Last edited by NavBHP : 28th November 2023 at 10:33. Reason: added relevant details and formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks