Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 02:03   #1
BHPian

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699651807.jpeg

Introduction

I have been using a 2012 Classic 500 for almost 12 years. For the past few years, I considered replacing it with another motorcycle, but none of the new bikes were to my liking at that time.

Despite taking long test drives of multiple bikes in the 3 to 4L price point, I found out none of the motorcycles offered the low-end torque and character of a 500cc long-stroke engine. This was the reason I couldn't find myself replacing my classic 500 with any of the new bikes.

When the Harley Davidson X440 was launched I booked it on launch day itself for the sole reason of similar engine specs to my Classic 500. Since the booking was refundable I thought I'll decide about the purchase later after taking a thorough test drive. I had booked the mid-variant red colour.

Finally, after months of waiting test drives started, and I got one at Kochi Harley Davidson. I expected the motorcycle to be similar to my classic in terms of power and torque delivery, dynamics, and vibrations. But boy was I wrong!

It was an absolute gem on a motorcycle. I decided right after the test drive to buy this motorcycle.

(I'm skipping the test drive impressions since all key points are listed in my ownership impressions in this article itself)

After getting the booking issue sorted out (written in another thread), my booking was finally transferred to the newly opened Hero Premia dealership (Koyenco Premia).

Hero Premia experience

Since this is the first Hero Premia Dealership I'll briefly explain about the experience there as well.

It's similar to what Maruti did with Nexa but offers a much more premium experience. The dealership was right beside the normal Hero dealership in the same building complex.

After stepping into the Premia dealership, it felt like a proper premium place.

Unlike normal Hero dealerships, this place had a modern interior, the showroom floor was spacious and had very good parking in the front.

A couple of Harleys, Vida e-scooters, and Karizmas were on display. The behavior of the staff too was polite and professional.

Since this bike would be used by multiple members of my joint family, we had taken 4 test drives in total. The bike was taken home and office to get the pillions (non riding members) opinion too.

When visiting the dealership while sorting out the related paperwork, I was never kept waiting.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-20231021_160827.jpg

If Hero manages to maintain similar quality with other upcoming Premia dealerships, it will be quite useful in penetrating the premium segment that's currently dominated by Royal Enfield.

The first service is due at 750km, I'll update regarding the service experience after it.

Delivery was also hassle free. I took delivery at 7 pm along with family members. Staff at the dealership kindly waited as their closing time was 6 pm.

Got a normal studds half faced helmet with Harley Davidson X stickering. Funnily it also had the Vida lettering on it.

Initial impressions

Since I was replacing the classic 500 with this, it would be my point of reference.

For Classic 500, anything upwards of mid-range in the rev band would make the motorcycle vibrate like crazy and make me dial down on the throttle. The Harley is a complete opposite. Most of the rev band is usable without serious vibrations. The engine feels comfortable even in higher range of the rev band. This made me use the peak torque quite often.

The second thing that impressed me was how well the motorcycle was hiding its weight. I was zipping through traffic quite easily. In my home city, I was able to take familiar corners at significantly higher speeds and confidence than on the classic 500.

The brakes also felt decent. The lever weight wasn't very heavy like my old classic. I felt the motorcycles diving a bit more than my liking under heavy braking. However, this wasn't annoying in any way.

A tall seating position and wide handlebar meant the ergonomics were on point. My height is 6'1 for reference. Though I didn't have any complaints about the classic 500 in this regard, Harley's ergonomics felt better for my frame.

I went across some rough roads and the bike handled it well. Major credit for it goes to the rear suspension. Many people dissed at the gap between rear fender and the tire. If the bike had this rear gap lowered, then the ride quality would deteriorate. Function over looks always.

The exhaust sound is very unique and quite likable. It's very raspy and natural. Also, something which is difficult to explain in words is that there is a slight hint of "potato potato" sound the bigger Harleys are known for. This resemblance is noticed the most when we hear the exhaust sound indoors when someone else is taking the bike out and at times when we are riding wearing a full face helmet.

When riding with a full face helmet, a lot of mechanical noises gets filtered out and clear character full sound enters your ears.

The exhaust sometimes pops during downshifting.

A tall 6th gear means cruising is effortless on this motorcycle. even at 120kph, I didn't feel like the motor to be overly stressed. There was some vibrations at that 120kph point though. But they're well within comfort limits.

The instrument cluster looks good and all data shown on it is easily legible.
It has a gear shift indicator. I didn't see in getting mentioned in any online reviews. The bike also can show instantaneous fuel economy too.
Even in the afternoon sun, the display was easily legible.

I haven't tried out the turn-by-turn navigation yet, so I'll reserve my opinion on it for now.

The headlights are really good. I've upgraded my Nexon EV's headlights to full HID units and my Figo's to LEDs. Generally, I hate stock LED lights as they are fixed and offer poor brightness.
Harley on the other hand, offered incredible headlights. The colour temp. is around 5800K.
The low beam cut-off is clean and it has a nice intense spread. Even when opposite traffic in using high beams or when you're driving at speeds, the road is very visible. High beam is very good, even on dusty highways.

I had opted for mid variant red colour. In sunlight, it appears blood red colour. But when in a shaded area it appears close to maroon colour.
See the photos below.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699651153.jpeg
My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699651153-1.jpeg

The paint quality felt decent.

Being a 1st lot bike I expected a few niggles, there were none.

Inside the city I'm getting around 28kpl FE and on highways I'm getting around 34kpl. This data is based on my 300+km riding in the first few days.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-20231009_134317.jpg

The genuine accessories were really low price and had decent quality.
I picked up the bash plate, crash guard and centre stand. No labour charge was levied for this.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699650684.jpeg

I'm attaching a youtube link with price of all accessories.

Now coming to the things I did't like about the bike or something to be kept in mind

Cons

Horn

This bike feels substantial on the road. But the horn feels like it was plucked from a splendor. It sounds so weak and lifeless that it makes me use the horn far less than usual. If the warranty remains intact I'll change it to a better one.

Parking space

Taller proportions and wider handlebar means this bike takes significantly more parking space than my classic 500. Since the front garage is shared with Innova Hycross, this is a small problem for me.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699651475.jpeg

Lack of attention to detail

With Triumph setting a new benchmark in this area, all other manufacturers should significantly improve their attention to detail.

The cable management is better than test drive pre-production bikes. But still, Hero and Harley could've neatly tucked these cables through the underside of the handlebar. When we look down at the instrument cluster while riding, this becomes a visual disturbance. Attaching a photo of a pre-production bike, on my bike they had zip-tied the bottom two cables together, making it a bit tidier.

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699651571.jpeg

Difficult to maneuver in heavy traffic

This bike hides its weight once we get going. But in heavy crawling traffic, I felt quite unpleasant to manage this motorcycle. Maneuvering through gaps at crawling speeds was a bit tricky.
I enjoyed this motorcycle the most on open roads.

Others

No owners manual recieved, not even a soft copy. I was told by the dealer that once they receive it, they'll pass it on to me.

The HD Connect app doesn't allow one account to be logged into multiple phones. This becomes a problem when multiple family members are using it.

Weirdly Harley didn't mention anything regarding engine break-in period.

I could notice the heat coming from the engine onto my right calf. It wasn't annoyingly hot, but it was definitely more than my Classic 500.

I always used the heel shifter on the classic. I miss it on the Harley. In Harley's favour, not a lot of modern bikes come with it though. Don't know the reason why.

Conclusion

To me, motorcycles are not a tool for commute, but a hobby for leisure rides.

When I'm riding any motorcycle it's never about just getting from point A to B. It's about what all sensations I get to experience while riding. The low end torque pull, raspy exhaust note, pops when downshifting, the wide handle bars and knees out driving posture...all the checkboxes are getting ticked for me.

Earlier my motorcycling was limited to occasional sundays only.

But this Harley is making me find an excuse to ride it if weather and time permits.

I thoroughly enjoy driving this motorcycle. In just 4 days I've put in more than 300kms into it.

The pros easily outweigh the cons for me.

Looking forward to a proper long ride on this Harley Davidson.

I will update this thread with long term ownership at intervals..

My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes-photo1699652289.jpeg

Last edited by govind_kaniyath : 11th November 2023 at 03:24. Reason: Suggested by team bhp panel
govind_kaniyath is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 05:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 18:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Harley Davidson X440 Ownership Review | Year-long search for the right motorcycle concludes

Congratulations on the new X440. Wish you many miles of happy ownership. Little surprised to hear that it takes space while parking. I thought the slimmer profile would make it easy to park in tight spaces.

Also interesting to note that handling it in heavy traffic is a little cumbersome. In my short test ride, I thought it was manageable. If in Calicut itself you notice this, would be interesting to see the opinion of folks riding in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 13:07   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new motorcycle. The X440 does look impressive, especially in this red colour.
Though I feel Harley could have done a better job with the console display. What a waste of space and aesthetic opportunity. Other than this it seems to be a well proportioned nice sounding motorcycle. Wishing you lots of fun miles in this!
Darkcloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 07:23   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy. Bike looks smokin hot in Red

Is the weight in traffic heavier than the Classic 500?
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congratulations on the new X440. Wish you many miles of happy ownership. Little surprised to hear that it takes space while parking. I thought the slimmer profile would make it easy to park in tight spaces.

Also interesting to note that handling it in heavy traffic is a little cumbersome. In my short test ride, I thought it was manageable. If in Calicut itself you notice this, would be interesting to see the opinion of folks riding in Bangalore.
Wider handlebar is the main culprit of occupying more parking space.

I visit banglore frequently for work purposes, I would never want to get stuck in banglore traffic with the X440.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Congratulations on your new motorcycle. The X440 does look impressive, especially in this red colour.
Though I feel Harley could have done a better job with the console display. What a waste of space and aesthetic opportunity. Other than this it seems to be a well proportioned nice sounding motorcycle. Wishing you lots of fun miles in this!
Yes, though console doesn't feel cramped, the rectangle shape doesn't go well. If Hero/Harley could've done a circular console similar to the new himalayan, it would've been much better.

The rev counter only occupies the top section of the rectangle display. If it went all the way on a circular display, it would look much better.

All this saidz I've never had any issues reading information from the console, even in peak noon sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Congratulations on the new buy. Bike looks smokin hot in Red

Is the weight in traffic heavier than the Classic 500?
In regular traffic where you're using 3rd gear or above and going above 40kph, the harley is far light feeted any day. It can easily zip through gaps.

Even at corners, I was easily taking them with confidence and higher speeds than I could on the classic 500.

Mod Note: Please use multi-quote while responding.

But when it comes to HEAVY traffic where you're only using 1st gear, this bike behaves worse than Classic 500.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2023 at 12:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 23rd November 2023, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new bike! It's refreshing to receive such positive feedback about the bike, especially when many have dismissed it even before test drives began. Wishing you countless miles of joy and satisfaction with your new machine.

Best regards,
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 07:43   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your new bike. I did a test drive too last week and really enjoyed the ride. It's in a class of its own and can't be compared to the speed 400 or other bikes out there. I drove the bike in Bangalore traffic but did not feel any issues with the weight or handling. It was pretty good and surprisingly , while riding you do not feel the weight even in stop and go traffic.

Few cost cutting or changes have been done here and there , but for the price it is being offered it's a value deal with a gem of an engine. As you rightly said when you give that throttle and the torque comes into play you realise the power and agility this bike has. As mentioned by many a rear back rest will be a must if having a pillion rider . Hoping they launch this back seat rest and also the availability of touring seat as it's more wider and should be more comfortable.
Old 24th November 2023, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your ride. I rented this out for couple of days and it was a lot of fun. Buttery smooth in the city and so well balanced while taking corners. Amongst all that i have tested for my next purchase this tops the list of Speed 400, G310GS, CB350RS. Such a completed package.
For the owners or user manual you can download it from the Hero Harley website. It contains specific information of the break in period etc.
Brio2014 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
Congratulations on your ride. I rented this out for couple of days and it was a lot of fun.
Hey Brio2014, where did you rent this bike from? As I am still waiting for my bike, I would like to rent it for few days too! Let us know.
Old 24th November 2023, 11:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Hey Brio2014, where did you rent this bike from? As I am still waiting for my bike, I would like to rent it for few days too! Let us know.
The X440 and Speed 400 are up for rent on royal brothers.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 16:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Congratulations on your new bike! It's refreshing to receive such positive feedback about the bike, especially when many have dismissed it even before test drives began. Wishing you countless miles of joy and satisfaction with your new machine.

Best regards,
Bravo
Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Congratulations on your new bike. I did a test drive too last week and really enjoyed the ride. It's in a class of its own and can't be compared to the speed 400 or other bikes out there. I drove the bike in Bangalore traffic but did not feel any issues with the weight or handling. It was pretty good and surprisingly , while riding you do not feel the weight even in stop and go traffic.

Few cost cutting or changes have been done here and there , but for the price it is being offered it's a value deal with a gem of an engine. As you rightly said when you give that throttle and the torque comes into play you realise the power and agility this bike has. As mentioned by many a rear back rest will be a must if having a pillion rider . Hoping they launch this back seat rest and also the availability of touring seat as it's more wider and should be more comfortable.
I didn't enquire much about pillion backrest as bike would be used in solo mostly. nb: my previous classic 500 was in single seat configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
Congratulations on your ride. I rented this out for couple of days and it was a lot of fun. Buttery smooth in the city and so well balanced while taking corners. Amongst all that i have tested for my next purchase this tops the list of Speed 400, G310GS, CB350RS. Such a completed package.
For the owners or user manual you can download it from the Hero Harley website. It contains specific information of the break in period etc.
Could you kindly share the link where I could download the owners manual? couldnt find it in any website.
Old 26th November 2023, 11:59   #13
BHPian

https://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/s...er-manual.html

You can enter the model and BS 6 plus version at the above link and you should get the 440 manual.
Brio2014 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks