Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 05:59   #1
BHPian

BIS approves India’s first AC and DC combined charging connector

India develops world's first combined AC and DC charging connector for EVs-charger-ather.jpg

Niranjan Gupta, CEO, Hero MotoCorp, said, “A home-grown connector standard is a breakthrough achievement for the country and the EV industry, aligned with the government’s ‘Make in India’ policy. In fact, it is not just about Make in India anymore, it is ‘Innovate in India and Make for the World’. Along with Ather Energy, it has been Hero MotoCorp’s constant endeavor to take the industry forward and make India the global leader in the light electric vehicle category.”

There was a gap in the EV ecosystem for a scalable and interoperable charging system for the light electric vehicle and charging station side. The global EV industry was built around the dominance of four-wheelers, with the assumption that light electric vehicles will adopt a watered-down version of larger connectors and adapters. Defining and engineering a charging system that is built for the Light Electric Vehicle use cases, building charging stations across India that showcase the reliability and durability of the system to global levels, and working with various stakeholders to adopt this charging system as a standard.

The new standard, IS17017 (Part 2 / Sec 7): 2023, is the world’s first charging standard that combines AC and DC charging for small EVs, such as electric scooters, motorcycles, three-wheelers, and quadricycles. This standard has resulted from a collaboration between the BIS, the government think tank Niti Aayog, the Department of Science and Technology, the Automotive Research Association of India, and electric vehicle manufacturers. Truly shows great outcomes when public policy, enterprise, and innovation come together. A combined AC and DC charging connector ensures that a hybrid, cost-efficient infrastructure emerges for all forms of charging, whether fast or slow, for light electric vehicles. The customer benefits from having an interoperable network for both fast and slow charging without having to carry a bulky charger with them.

source: Here
FueledbyFury is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

India develops world's first combined AC and DC charging connector for EVs

The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and the National Standard Body of India have approved the world's first AC and DC Combined Charging connector standard for light electric vehicles.

India develops world's first combined AC and DC charging connector for EVs-1_0x0_790x520_0x520_evconnectortype2.jpg

BIS collaborated with the NITI Aayog, the Department of Science and Technology, ARAI and EV makers to develop the national standard. It will pave the way for a common AC and DC charging system for light electric vehicles that include electric 2-wheelers, 3-wheelers and microcars.

The high cost and large size of 4-wheler charging connectors make them infeasible for such light electric vehicles as they have their own set of charging requirements. Having a combined AC and DC charging connector would also pave the way for a cost-effective charging infrastructure that will be interoperable for both fast and slow charging.

B V R Subrahmanyam, CEO of NITI Aayog said, "Since more than 75% of new vehicles sold in India are either two or three-wheelers, we created a standard that impacts the biggest chunk of the vehicle market. Several government bodies and private sector OEMs came together to make this happen."

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 17:22   #3

Re: India develops world's first combined AC and DC charging connector for EVs

This reminds me of this

Name:  standards.png
Views: 349
Size:  23.7 KB
aslampr07 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 18:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslampr07 View Post
This reminds me of this

Attachment 2520143
Its existing connector designed and open sourced by Ather
ritesh_44 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 18:48   #5
BHPian

So, it's important to list out the differences and advantages of any new innovation. I appreciate the effort that goes into making a standard, and I am curious to understand more on what advantages does it present to us in India.

India has a unique set of constraints that are very different from the western world right from the type of vehicles to the cost consciousness.

The article mentions that it can support both ac and DC. Doesn't CCS do it too? If so, what advantages does this have over CCS is the question.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It will pave the way for a common AC and DC charging system for light electric vehicles that include electric 2-wheelers, 3-wheelers and microcars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The article mentions that it can support both ac and DC. Doesn't CCS do it too? If so, what advantages does this have over CCS is the question.
They mentioned that the system is specifically for this group and cost of existing systems for cars are not cost effective.

I think this makes sense, since we are warming up to electric scooters and before it booms, better to have regulations in-place to standardize chargers.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslampr07 View Post
This reminds me of this

Attachment 2520143
My sentiments exactly. I hope the government is working with other global, standard setting bodies on this. "I am unique", "We are unique", "we have the only answer" are strong sentiments, but often that is not the best solution for the customers.
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I searched briefly, but couldn't find the details. But my guess is this is a modified Type 2 connector, which uses two of the 4 AC charging pins for DC charging. So reuse the AC pins for DC charging, instead of adding 2 new pins like CCS2, advantage is small plug/connector. This should work for moderate power DC charging, which is sufficient for two wheelers.

The CCS Combo 2 standard used by cars is a larger plug where top part is Type 2 with 7 pins for 3-phase AC and control and additional 2 big fat pins at the bottom for high power DC charging. This was to make it future proof for very high currents and also avoid confusion by reusing pins.

Type 2 has 7 pins, where 2 pins are for control, 1 earth, 1 neutral and 3 phases. DC chargers actually omit the neutral and 3 phase pins, i.e. only 3 pins in top part and 2 pins in bottom are used. In fact the more compact Tesla NACS plug has only these 5 pins and actually uses the CCS2 protocol. That is why passive adapters can be used to connect CCS2 and NACS. It also reuses the pins for AC charging, but I don't think NACS can support 3 phase AC charging as it has only 5 pins in total.

Last edited by wocanak : 23rd October 2023 at 15:22.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
I searched briefly, but couldn't find the details. But my guess is this is a modified Type 2 connector, which uses two of the 4 AC charging pins for DC charging. So reuse the AC pins for DC charging, instead of adding 2 new pins like CCS2, advantage is small plug/connector. This should work for moderate power DC charging, which is sufficient for two wheelers.
Ather founder Tarun Mehta has posted some details and context behind this.

https://twitter.com/tarunsmehta/stat...69243445936165
ritesh_44 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks