Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2024, 11:12   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2 View Post
Interesting... I have been exploring custom made brackets for multiple accessories on the bike. This looks clean, where did you get it made and what was the cost.
I work for a company which is into sheet metal based retail fitout design and fabrication. There are CAD softwares and CNC machines for sheet metal processing. So made the clamp myself at my workplace.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2024, 15:42   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I work for a company which is into sheet metal based retail fitout design and fabrication. There are CAD softwares and CNC machines for sheet metal processing. So made the clamp myself at my workplace.
Ah!! that is cool. I would not not buy any mounts if I had such access.
CNC machine time on the shop is available here at a cost. But CAD/3D design as a service is not available and I am no expert in that.
gtx2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 20:06   #273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Scrambler has 14T front and feels short geared. Many have changed it internationally to 15T on the scrambler to make the gearing taller and bike a bit calmer.

Bajaj being Bajaj, it seems the front sprocket on the Duke 390, Dominar and speed 400 are all same and fit each-other. So hopefully I will be able to find one from the sibling and attempt to change the sprocket myself. It seems like a simple affair basis videos on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
It's the wild wild west out here. I could not get it. Tried 2 different service centers.
If you are able to help on the other hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Front sprockets are available separately. I recently bought 14T front sprocket for 250rs from service centre in chennai.
I actually changed the front sprocket to 15T a month ago from Dominar 400. Result was definitely there. It was a lot calmer in first gear and so forth. You could feel the difference in rpm while cruising. 80-90 kmph feels smooth. You can order from https://www.99rpm.com/ while I visited 3 service centres for sprocket drive and couldn't get it.

Also changed front brake pads while I was at it (complained in service center and they said THATS HOW IT IS!!! So I had to fix it myself)
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20240713_180143.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-screenshot_20240828_194226_chrome.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20240713_180151.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th August 2024 at 21:42. Reason: Typos, formatting and using caps where needed. Please review the forum posting guidelines before proceeding.
Uchihaitachii is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th August 2024, 21:27   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchihaitachii View Post
I actually changed the front sprocket to 15T a month ago from Dominar 400.
Much appreciated. When I initially searched 99rpm I only saw the entire sprocket kit as the only option for purchase. However the part numbers certainly help. I've placed the order, hopefully it arrives before the next breakfast ride.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th August 2024 at 21:43. Reason: Please use caps where needed (i —> I). This is a chronic issue across your posts.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 09:35   #275

Hey everyone!

I recently test-rode the Scrambler 400X, and I loved it! I'm about 90% sure it’s the bike for me, but the service center is 54 km from my home, and I’m wondering if that’s something I should worry about.

This will be my first bike to own and maintain, though I do have some riding experience (Classic 350).
The distance doesn't seem like a big issue on paper since Triumph’s service intervals are pretty spaced out (45 days/1000 km, then 1yr/16,000 km), and the overall quality of the bike. But since I’m new to bike ownership, I’m not sure if I’m underestimating the effort involved.

I understand between 0-1000km, I might have to do chain maintenance myself, and between 1000km - 16000km I might have to check the engine oil levels and chain every 1000 or 5000 km maybe? or just go to the service for a regular check-up? Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Any advice from more experienced riders or Triumph owners would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
I got myself a Scrambler 400X - the green one. At 5'5", I can only tiptoe if I want both feet on the ground. But it's weight is manageable. Driven 200 km so far, everything seems to be fine. At noon stuck at a signal I could feel the heat in Kochi climate. However it seems fine. A few issues I noted:

1. Sometimes it takes a few cranking to start specially in the morning times. The sales man had said don't turn the throttle while starting but without it, it doesn't seem to run once it starts.

2. Occasionally at 2nd or 3rd gear, when you press the clutch completely, the engine turns off. You need to then try cranking it for it to start.

3. Headlights are very poor for night driving at more than 60 kmph. If there are no streetlights, visibility is poor and if you have a pillion rider you get the feeling the high beam is focussing upwards. Any suggestions what to do? I see a few people install auxiliary lights but is it ok to do in Kerala? I think the cops here are a bit jumpy on such accessories and will the say maddog alpha auxiliary lights cause glare to oncoming traffic?

4. Only time I felt my height was an impediment was in inclined places and when I had to suddenly brake and balance the bike fast.

I love riding the bike, the seating posture, the smooth power delivery and it's shocks.

Any suggestions on the headlight and a decent waterproof phone mount for the Scrambler 400X is highly appreciated.
Good to see a fellow short rider from Kerala as well! I'm 5'4 and looking to book the 400x (green one). The bike felt great on the test ride. Were you able to get used to the heat?

I test rode the bike on Vytilla highway and coming from an air-cooled BS3 Classic 350, the heat was new for me. However, I am hearing from owners it's nothing to worry about and quite normal for a bike like the 400x. But I'd like to get input from someone who lives in the same climate as me.

Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2024, 10:03   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit_ View Post

I understand between 0-1000km, I might have to do chain maintenance myself, and between 1000km - 16000km I might have to check the engine oil levels and chain every 1000 or 5000 km maybe? or just go to the service for a regular check-up? Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Any advice from more experienced riders or Triumph owners would be greatly appreciated!

Good to see a fellow short rider from Kerala as well! I'm 5'4 and looking to book the 400x (green one). The bike felt great on the test ride. Were you able to get used to the heat?

Thanks!
They suggested chain lubing every 500-1000km. If you have the time you can go to the service center. But generally visual check is fine. Oil change though they say 16k, everyone suggests checking it around 6k if you want to change or not.

I am used to the heat, took it on 400 km drive and didn't feel it much. Yes at signals and traffic blocks you will feel it but as long as your wearing a jeans or so, shouldn't be a problem. The height though is a bit of an issue, so now I just get off the bike and pull it back or front if I need to push.No more trying to paddle with my toes .

Did a few mods :
1. Got adjustable gear and brake levers as my short palm started having pain due to the long reach needed.
2. Installed scoutx aux, though everyone says mvd will catch. Else night driving is dangerous. I have recently just installed Vaishnu headlight for scrambler 400x. Testing it. If it's really good might remove the aux. So far it feels good but again mvd issues can come and warranty too.
3. The usual side stand based, oil sump cover, pillion footrest. Some of the changes I have added and removed as and when i get time like carbon racing front shield, Zana pull back risers etc.
4. Setup a dash cam with Android auto, tpms and front and back rear view cameras with recording for safety sake.
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 18:44   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
They suggested chain lubing every 500-1000km. If you have the time you can go to the service center. But generally visual check is fine. Oil change though they say 16k, everyone suggests checking it around 6k if you want to change or not.
Thanks for the reply! I know our MVD can be a pain in the ass but I seriously hope they don't stop people for AUX lights

I took a 2nd long test ride of the Scrambler at the Kottayam showroom and the heat was not at all an issue. So that's good news.

How has your experience been with the Vytilla showroom? I am debating between booking with the Vytilla showroom or the Kottayam one. Both are at equal distance to me and offer the bike for the same price.
Old 4th September 2024, 19:16   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit_ View Post
How has your experience been with the Vytilla showroom? I am debating between booking with the Vytilla showroom or the Kottayam one. Both are at equal distance to me and offer the bike for the same price.
I only have experience with the vytilla showroom. That's their main showroom. The general treatment was very good. Have no complaints.
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 23:42   #279

I got my Triumph Scrambler 400x just 2 weeks back from shaman Triumph Mumbai. 520 kms was on my odometer and my front disk brake pads were completely worn out. They were making squeaking noise. Took it to service centre and they told that it's due to your riding style. Changed the front disk pads. Now again after just 3 days of changing the brake pads and 720 km on the odometer, front disk pads are half worn out from the inner side. Can somebody help me with this ??
Old 5th September 2024, 00:26   #280
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundan1102 View Post
Changed the front disk pads. Now again after just 3 days of changing the brake pads and 720 km on the odometer, front disk pads are half worn out from the inner side. Can somebody help me with this ??
Even 250+ km of riding on the racetrack doesn't wear out the pads. I think your brakes are binding (slightly, but constantly applied even when you're not pressing the brake lever).

Try this:
  • park your bike for at least half an hour to let the front disc cool
  • Then ride it for just 50 feet without applying the front brake at all, use only the rear brake to stop
  • Sprinkle a single drop of water on the front disc
  • If it sizzles and boil off, your brake is binding, and horribly at that
  • Else, touch the disc for short as possible to see if it's warm (imagine you're touching an iron box)
  • If it's warm, your brake is binding
  • Ride for like half a km and repeat the water drop test, don't touch the disc it will be very very hot (hot enough to burn finger even through leather riding gloves, guess how I know...)
Thereafter:
  • Go to service centre, jack up the front, spin the front wheel by hand and see if it spins freely. You can compare with any other bike to see how freely it should spin.
  • If it's binding, it shouldn't be able to do even 2-3 complete revolutions
  • Show this to your SA, yell at him, and have him refund you for the pads you paid for, and replace the disc rotor + pads + front brake fluid under warranty
  • Once that's complete, tell him to go on a 2 km ride without applying front brake
  • Repeat the water drop test to confirm they did a good job
The alternative is you're unknowingly riding with the lever pressed slightly, or the lever is sticky and not returning to its zero position.

Last edited by bravo6 : 5th September 2024 at 00:47.
bravo6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 01:04   #281

After 1st brake pad change, I have used the front brakes minimally and ensured that my fingers are not pressing the lever
Old 9th September 2024, 14:32   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently test-rode the Scrambler 400X, and I loved it! I'm about 90% sure it’s the bike for me, but the service center is 54 km from my home, and I’m wondering if that’s something I should worry about.
All your issues are actually non-issue. Riding 50-60kms to service center should be taken as another opportunity to ride the bike and not a burden. Service intervals are long and there havent been too many teething issues either as per this thread. That equates to less frequent service station visits.

As a biking enthuiast, basic periodic maintenance like chain cleaning and lubing is good to know and perform. It gives a sense of satsfaction as well.

I use a simple device to lift the rear tyre of the bike to clean and lube the chain. There are many similar products available in market like snap-jack. But what i have a simple home made device which does the job.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-01.jpg
I use an allen key to get a leverage point on the bike.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-02.jpg
Insert the home-made snap-jack as shown in the picture.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-03.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-0301.jpg
Press it to get the wheel off the ground just enough for free rotation. The

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-04.jpg
Clean the chain nicely.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-05.jpg
I use a brush and thick gear oil to lube the chain. Been doing so for many years. Earlier i used expensive spray cans etc, but have seen no big difference in longivity or quality. Gear oil works just fine. Trick it to use it lightly with a brush and not splash it generously. Repeat chain cleaning and lubing every 400-500 kms or more frequenty during monsoons.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-06.jpg

NOTE: Before lifting the wheel using any of these snap-jack type devices, always use a piece of band, thread, lace etc to tie the front brake lever to keep it in locked position. This will prevent from the bike from accidently rolling off while on the jack.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 9th September 2024 at 14:42. Reason: Added a note
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 18:11   #283
BHPian

@nasirkaka Thanks for the tip to use an allen key! I had all sorts of difficulty trying to lift the bike (Speed 400) using the side jack on the bike's swing arm.

I also used too much Motul gear oil (a ketchup dispenser with a too large nozzle because I couldn't find another tool to oil it on a Sunday) and the bike started smoking like it was on fire in a short run, as the oil splatter on the exhaust and engine started to burn. Had to splash water on it to subside. Phew.

I should have used a brush to oil the chain like I had thought initially.

Last edited by davelok : 9th September 2024 at 18:22.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks