Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2024, 21:26   #241

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Facing a weird issue on my scram400x. The front brakes have been making a screeching noise for about 4-5 days so I opened to clean them. Was shocked to find the pads have worn out totally. Only the metal part is left on the brake pads and it's made a mark on the disc. The wear on the disk is clearly noticeable when I run my fingers on them! The odo reads 7300kms. Was definitely not using the front brake so hard and even if it was the case I could believe it's completely work out so soon. Upon doing a quick search i found several owner complaining about the same. Some even had it worn out completely within first 500-600 kms !! Anyone here experiencing the same? Do check on your front brake pads once. On the contrary,the back brake pads are almost new still.
RajeshKanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 15:32   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Facing a weird issue on my scram400x. The front brakes have been making a screeching noise for about 4-5 days so I opened to clean them. Was shocked to find the pads have worn out totally. Only the metal part is left on the brake pads and it's made a mark on the disc. The wear on the disk is clearly noticeable when I run my fingers on them! The odo reads 7300kms. Was definitely not using the front brake so hard and even if it was the case I could believe it's completely work out so soon. Upon doing a quick search i found several owner complaining about the same. Some even had it worn out completely within first 500-600 kms !! Anyone here experiencing the same? Do check on your front brake pads once. On the contrary,the back brake pads are almost new still.
Here similar thing happened with me too...
I complained about front break pad noise and issue about spongy feeling in the lever.
The pune triumph service centre completely denied the issue by saying 'thats how it is '
After 200 odd kms after first service the front break pads had 20-30% life left - i changed them with bajaj dominor 400 ones and these are performing fine for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20240713_181503.jpg  

Uchihaitachii is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 19:16   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchihaitachii View Post
i changed them with bajaj dominor 400 ones and these are performing fine for the time being.
I went to ASC today and got the front brake pads changed to the speed400's sintered ones. Cost me 2.3k odd. How much did the dominor one's cost you? Also are they sintered and a perfect fit? You have mentioned as it is for the time being.

Also, one strange thing happened, while at ASC i asked them to do a general checkup since I have not done any post the first service when odo was 850kms. During the checkup they topped up the engine oil (about 100ml). Problem here is I was running motul oil. They did not ask me before topping up and that did not strike my mind also. Anyways, when he told that the oil is topped up , i mentioned I was using a different brand oil to which the guy said it will create no issues since the viscosity is all the same. Members in the know how please share your thoughts on this.

Regards
RajeshKanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:38   #244
BHPian

Quote:
How much did the dominor one's cost you?

During the checkup they topped up the engine oil (about 100ml). Problem here is I was running motul oil. They did not ask me before topping up and that did not strike my mind also. Anyways, when he told that the oil is topped up , i mentioned I was using a different brand oil to which the guy said it will create no issues since the viscosity is all the same. Members in the know how please share your thoughts on this.
The packet says Rs. 241
Didn't know Dominar brake pads cost so little. Amazing.

Regarding 100ml top up of different brand of oil - I would say don't worry about it. Have read people saying it is fine and some people say avoid. But I myself have done it a few times (CBR250R) as I didn't want to buy a new 1 litre can just to match the existing oil for a 100 ml top-up. I haven't faced any issue. Having said that, I would also suggest you to stick with stock engine oil when the bike is fairly new.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:50   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
The packet says Rs. 241
Exactly my thoughts. Almost all other sintered pad options are in 2k range. Seeing the packet mention 241/- I was actually surprised and confused and the same time.

Regarding the engine oil, during first service at about 850kms I changed to the prolube oil which triumph offers only. Around 5300 mark I changed to motul and have been running it since. The odo reads 7300 now and I was planning to change the oil at 11000 so that I can change next time when I give to service at 16000, that's hoping I reach that mark within an years time. But today this happened and hence the confusion. It has been only 5 months but my usage is around 250-300kms per week excluding the weekend usage. After changing to motul the bike felt good. I was thinking about having an extra 500ml for topup purpose but it totally slipped my mind. Planning to buy 2.5ltr next time so that I can have 500ml leftover for topup purchase. That is if I can run with the current oil for next 4000 kms.
RajeshKanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:52   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
The packet says Rs. 241
These are most probably the same pads from the first gen 390s. They were very cheap. Bajaj uses the same 4 pot Bybre calipers in most of their bikes. The Speed 400 sintered pads should be the same or similar as the 2017+ 390 sintered pads.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:02   #247
BANNED

Quote:
I went to ASC today and got the front brake pads changed to the speed400's sintered ones. Cost me 2.3k odd. How much did the dominor one's cost you? Also are they sintered and a perfect fit? You have mentioned as it is for the time being.
Regarding pads it costed me 241 inr .and the pads are beanded as semi sintered (seems like organic to me or same as stock ones except the end has plastic coating to it and thats it . And it fits perfectly (it uses same break setup as duke 390 / dominor 400 ) you can use ktm duke 390 pads too but they cost a bit more compared to speed 400 ones.

Quote:
Also, one strange thing happened, while at ASC i asked them to do a general checkup since I have not done any post the first service when odo was 850kms. During the checkup they topped up the engine oil (about 100ml). Problem here is I was running motul oil. They did not ask me before topping up and that did not strike my mind also.Anyways, when he told that the oil is topped up , i mentioned I was using a different brand oil to which the guy said it will create no issues since the viscosity is all the same. Members in the know how please share your thoughts on this.

Regards
Well i opted for castrol oil in the first service and which was fine for couple of hundred kms and oil level seems to have dropped so i changed oil and oil filter, oil stainers 2x from dominor ones and went with motul 7100 10w50 oil ..
The gear shifting expirience has been improved a lot compared to hp prolube or castrol oil.

About your query it wouldnt affect much as its such small quantity but just to be on safer side personally i would change oil . ( i did my first service on 850 km and had castrol oil in it then i changed oil at 1200km and went with motul 7100)
Also i installed 15t dominor front sprocket in scrambler.
Uchihaitachii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 14:51   #248
Senior - BHPian

I got some accessories fitted on the bike over this weekend.

AUX LIGHTS:
Stock headlight on the scrambler is very weak. I wanted to have two pair of aux lights for my usage. One pair (low wattage) is set closer to low beam pattern, so it does not bother oncoming traffic. Another pair (high wattage) is for highway/offroad usage, and is set closer to replicate the high beam pattern. I wanted to have one clamp to mount both the lights, so made one at my workplace using sheet metal fabrication. Two separate maddog wiring harnesses were used with relay, fuse etc along with their independent control switch. During the process it was observed that there is not much space under the tank or under the seat for the harness and relays and one should be careful to route and secure the cables.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-01.jpg
The sheet metal fork clamp CAD

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-02.jpg
Fabrication in process

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-03.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-04.jpg
Wiring harness

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-022.jpg
Pair of aux lights with fabricated metal clamp

The following images show the light throw with and without aux lights. The exposure values were locked to get a fair idea of the illumination.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-05.jpg
No lights

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-06.jpg
Low beam on

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-07.jpg
High beam on

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-08.jpg
Small aux lights on

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-09.jpg
Large aux lights on

HANDLEBAR RISER:
Got a pair of handlebar riser from zana and installed them. Fairly simple job and cable lengths are just about ok with additional height. The risers make the ergonomics much more comfortable and also easier to stand on the pegs and ride.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-11.jpg
The risers

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-12.jpg
Installed on the bike

SIDE STAND EXTENDER:
Another product from Zana, and seems like decent quality.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-13.jpg

HORN:
Installed the horn which i had on the 310gs. This one is decently powerful, although the stock horn is not all that bad. There is just about ok space around this area for the horn to sit in.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-17.jpg

MIRROR EXTENDER:
These mirror extenders are from Aliexpress and served well on the 310GS for years. Installed them on the scrambler and they fit and work just fine. Need to explore a bit more with settings and angles, as the handlebar is very wide to begin with.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-16.jpg

TOP BOX HOLDER PLATE:
I have one Hepco top box and two mounting plates for the same, so i can switch the top box easily between bikes. This base plate was removed form the 310GS and used on this bike. Fits fine.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-18.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-19.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-20.jpg

FRONT MUDGUARD:
I had opted for raised mudguard but that comes with a small tyre hugger for the front. The setup was throwing a lot of dirt from the road on the ride and the rider. I replaced the small hugger mudguard on the front with stock mudguard.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-14.jpg

Overall, happy with these simple modifications and accessories. Need to work on the seat a bit and explore possiblities to make it more comfortable. May be add an aftermarket rear tyre hugger for the monsoon months. and that should mostly take care of the personalization part of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-10.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-15.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 14:10   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I wanted to have one clamp to mount both the lights, so made one at my workplace using sheet metal fabrication. T
Great Addition there to your Bike. This DIY part made the post more interesting.

Can you share how much was the AUX light Price and does it carry any warranty (I heard it is around 1 year)? Any prior experience with Maddog Aux Lights?

Thanks
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 15:15   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share how much was the AUX light Price and does it carry any warranty (I heard it is around 1 year)? Any prior experience with Maddog Aux Lights?
I have used two pair of aux lights.

One is Rigid Industries dually spot which was bought in 2019. I had them on my 310GS all these years and they have served well. They were bought from US, delivered via a friend and approximately costed 12k INR for the pair at that time.

The other pair is a Maddog Scout which retails at Rs. 3750 for a pair. I got some discount as well. Wiring harless and switches are also from Maddog and costed approximately 4k for two harness and two control switches. Must add the harness is of good quality and switches are robust and waterproof too.

I have used Maddog lights previously and am happy with the light output. Some pictures of Maddog lights i have used on other bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20230709_164842.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-image-8.jpeg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20231125_101008.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:11   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding pads it costed me 241 inr .and the pads are beanded as semi sintered (seems like organic to me or same as stock ones except the end has plastic coating to it and thats it
Yes, they are organic. 260 front, 450 rear for the KTMs. They will not have the same performance as the 2.7k synthetic ones (as I discovered on the highway, once they heat they fade) but are great for city. Apparently the ADV 390 and the post 2020 BS6 Dukes are only fitted with the synthetic ones, not even having an option to upgrade as per the KTM service center.
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:18   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Yes, they are organic. 260 front, 450 rear for the KTMs. They will not have the same performance as the 2.7k synthetic ones (as I discovered on the highway, once they heat they fade) but are great for city. Apparently the ADV 390 and the post 2020 BS6 Dukes are only fitted with the synthetic ones, not even having an option to upgrade as per the KTM service center.
I have never used the sintered ones. Always the el cheapo organic ones that came from the factory on Gen 1 390s and are still sold for us. And I mostly cover and brake with only my index finger. In fact now that I know they are just 241 bucks, I shall get a new set just because I can and then at the 2700 buck guys as they stop 2 metres before me while I grind past.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th August 2024 at 16:19.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 21:13   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have never used the sintered ones. Always the el cheapo organic ones that came from the factory on Gen 1 390s and are still sold for us. And I mostly cover and brake with only my index finger. In fact now that I know they are just 241 bucks, I shall get a new set just because I can and then at the 2700 buck guys as they stop 2 metres before me while I grind past.

Cheers, Doc
I get you Doc .
For our roads, where even the highest attention paying motorcyclist can be subdued by some attention bereft gems, thats when I feel I really need them, because these are certainly not effective above 70 kmph after around 100 km of usage. A powerful hooligan like the 390, especially the manic 1st gen need them as standard for emergency braking situations. Its mindless cost cutting, especially on the RS457. They were I believe a little iffy right from the factory, some upgrading to the improved 2015/16 master cylinders and DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Else, as you said, I am all for letting them enjoy their purchase.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 8th August 2024 at 21:20.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 16:41   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Lovely colours.
IAre you sure these options are available from showroom everywhere? No one gave this options while booking. If i knew, would have settled for the yellow. I loved the Ducati scrambler in yellow when it was launched around 2015.
Its already late now, with booking done and registration process started

PS. Just checked, the custom colour option was at dealer level and only at Pune. And charging 15K for just the tank colour is a bit high. One can buy a new tank at 8K is what i read somewhere.
This custom color option is being offered at Chennai as well. As per the dealer, the bike will be registered in one of the available color options in website and once it reaches the dealer, the tank will be painted (locally) in the color that we choose. The dealer also said, they will assist changing the color in RC book as well. It will take about 15 to 30 days as per them.

There was a display bike with custom color. While it looked unique, the tank had paint defects already, meaning it will never match the factory finish.

IMHO, its better to skip this option.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 18:48   #255
Senior - BHPian

After the seat modification on saturday, went for a short ride this sunday morning. A ride of around 180 kms, bordering Karnataka and Tamilnadu, around Shoolagiri. I was riding along with a friend who was on a Suzuki SX250, another capable and understated bike.

The seat modification made great difference to the overall ride comfort. It eliminated the forward slide and provided comfortable upright posture, especially in combination with the handlebar riser. Riding triangle geometry felt much more natural. The seat was not restrictive like a bucket seat of sorts, and allowed good amount of movement as well. Standing on the pegs and riding off the road was also comfortable.

The ride was over mixed sort of terrain ranging from highway to country and village roads. We went off the road basis satellite map visuals and more often than not, found some interesting terrain and landscape. From hillocks to hills, from riverbeds to lakebeds, from temples to quarries and some in between.

Sharing some pictures from the ride.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-02.jpg

Trails. Ahoy!

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-04.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-05.jpg

Monsoon greens.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-07.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-06.jpg

A massive stone quarry in the background.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-10.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-08.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-13.jpg

Riding up a hill to a temple at the top. Riding down was challenging with slope and loose stone/gravel.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-11.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-12.jpg

On the rocks and high!

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-14.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-01-15.jpg

A completely dry but green lakebed.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-02-01.jpg

Scrambling around.
nasirkaka is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks