Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Even Kozhikode Triumph are providing custom paints
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 13:16   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Quote:
I always wonder why people get PPF done by paying so much. Regular wax and polish to maintain and replace later if required.
It makes sense for bigger and expensive bikes to have the paint protection film. Replacing tank or other body panels are costly and time consuming affair. Wax, polish and even all those various types of ceramic coatings can only do so much. A proper PPF from the likes of 3M, Garware, Avery Dennison, etc are very strong and will prevent scratches of various nature and some hard ones as well. I do agree that the costs involved are high and should be lesser. There are also cheaper options form many chinese brands and for Rs 1200-1500, we can get the tank of a typical Enfield wrapped in PPF. At times, these cheap films are difficult to remove and cause more damage to paint, so caution is advised.

Even for mid segment bikes costing between 2-4L, it may make sense to have PPF as it helps with the resale value. I had PPF on bonneville and removed it before putting it up for sale. The tank looked as good as new and surely added to the visual appeal. I have PPF on the Interceptor and know it will help during sale. I do not have it on Xpulse, as that is a relatively low value bike and used for off-roading where scratches/dents are common.

Wrapping is another option where one can protect the paint with vinyl film and also achieve a customized/unique look for the bike.

Quote:
How are triumph 400s getting so many attractive custom colourways? Are they going through some special registration hoops to get this done? I wish our RTOs relaxed a bit on paint jobs because I would love to swap tanks like sneakers on bikes like these.
First the bike is purchased and registered in stock colour. Post that, its painted at dealer level and the dealer fecilitates for the change of colour in the RC card. This additional cost of change of colour is paid by the buyer separately and is not included as a part of custom colour package.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 16:49   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
The best one so far imo. In classic Rothmans colors.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8WgFDrP...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Beautiful. I'd love one in classic Mclaren colours- either the Marlboro ones from the late 80s for Prost/Senna, or the late 90s/early 2000s ones with the West Mclaren-Mercedes colours for Hakkinen/Raikkonen.
Sudarshan42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:09   #229
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike delivered last evening at Khivraj, Hosur road.

It was a simple affair without any major fan fare. Just handing over of keys, tool kit, a customary picture and basic documentation. I had asked for some accessories which were installed prior to the delivery. Must add that the acessories (rear luggage rack, Engine guard, wind shield, splash protection, tank pad, raised mudguard, etc) are very reasonbly priced. In comparison, accessories cost from the likes of Enfield are much higher.

Rode the bike home and below are some initial observations:

* Seat felt high. The seat height is same as 310GS at 835mm, but the GS has much softer suspension, so feels not so high due to sag.

* Engine and gear box felt a bit rough as its a new bike. Should settle in with time.

* Handlebar position felt awkward and so was the mirror stalk. It was fouling while standing on the pegs and riding.

* Handlebar is wide. Its a bit too wide for my comfort, and may create challenge is weaving through traffic.

* Not too happy with the functionality of round mirrors, may change to rectangular one for better visibility.

* The rear tyre splash guard was not installed correctly. Midway to home and i found the tyres touching and scrapping the hugger.

* First gear is very short. But even at low speeds, the bike feels at home in 2nd gear, thanks to the torque curve.

* Power delivery is nice and peppy, and low end torque is very good.

* Brakes felt just about adequate, may take a while to settle in as they are new.

* Horn is just about ok for city, but may require upgrade to be heard on highway.

* I was not able to find a comfortable position on the seat. I feel there is a slight downward slope which adds to the issue. I may change the contour of the seat by shaping the foam and see if that helps.

* Enough said about lights. They definitely require upgrade.

* Vibrations are mostly in check and nothing unusual. Also i was asked to not rev beyond 6.5K rpm for the first 1K kms.

* I like how the bike sounds.

* The sales person insisted to use engine kill switch all the time to switch off the bike. I am used to using the Key to switch off the bike at signals etc. Not sure which one to follow.

Removed the sari guard this morning. Increased some gap between the rear tyre splash guard and tyre by adding some rubber washer. Changed the position of Handlebar and mirrors to suit my convenience. Rode the bike to work.

Lets see how this new journey unfolds. Sharing couple of pics from last evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240729_173934.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240729_175928.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 13:12   #230
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Congratulations bro. Use her well! Looks lovely.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 13:10   #231
Senior - BHPian

Anyone with tips on how to remove the side tank/knee pads on the Scrambler 400X?

Some observations on the bike after 150 kms of mostly commuting:

* The bike is a dirt magnet, especially in rain. The splash protection guard on the rear is hardly effective. On the front, i had opted for high fender and shorter mudguard. While riding on wet roads, we can see water being sprayed infront of the tyre. This is much more visible and distracting at night as the water being sprayed shines bright under the headlight. I will switch back to the full mudguard and get the extra plastic exterder cap too and see if it helps.

* The bike does not just dirties itself but throws a lot of dirt from wet roads around the pillion seat too. Sprited riding on wet roads leads to riders backpack covered in dirt sprays.

* The front brake lever travel is a bit too much. On hard braking, it almost touches the throttle. Not sure if others have felt this too.

* Headlights are non-existent, and the plastic grill shadow forms a pattern on the road. I might remove the headlight grill and prefer functionality over aesthetics. Will take a call post aux light installation.

* Engine is nice and peppy and suspension of good for the general broken roads. The front a bit bouncy over larger potholes or while jumping speed breakers. Its not as comfidence inspiring when compared to the suspension on the 310GS.

* Rear brake feels weak. Even on hard press, its difficult to engage ABS.

Overall, i am enjoying the initial days with the bike. Will keep the thread updated with some basic mods, i have planned in near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240801_131719.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240801_131813.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 1st August 2024 at 13:26.
nasirkaka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 18:41   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations - wish you many happy miles of ownership.

Quote:
* Brakes felt just about adequate, may take a while to settle in as they are new.
Having spent more time as an owner fully agree on this. I upgraded to sintered pads in the front and I would highly recommend this switch.

Quote:
* Enough said about lights. They definitely require upgrade.
Absolutely atrocious. A pal of mine borrowed it and he said even scooters might have better lights. Again, it’s making AUX lights add on almost a must have. I haven’t done so yet but I think at some point I may invest in some reasonably priced aux lights.

Quote:

* The bike is a dirt magnet, especially in rain. The splash protection guard on the rear is hardly effective. On the front, i had opted for high fender and shorter mudguard.
Indeed, and feels even more so on our matte green option I guess.

Quote:
* Engine is nice and peppy and suspension of good for the general broken roads. The front a bit bouncy over larger potholes or while jumping speed breakers.
Agree with both. But it’s a proper pocket rocket and just super fun in its own way. I was on a nice long overnight weekender ride last weekend and the Scram properly kept up with all the litre class adventure bikes on the twisties as well as the B highway straights.

Quote:
Overall, I am enjoying the initial days with the bike. Will keep the thread updated with some basic mods, I have planned in near future.
Look forward to your continued updates.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 19:27   #233
BHPian

Quote:
* The sales person insisted to use engine kill switch all the time to switch off the bike. I am used to using the Key to switch off the bike at signals etc. Not sure which one to follow.
Congrats on your purchase man, i love the 400/X. They just sneak up on you with their innocuous design and then leave you eating their dust after bypassing you easily.

Regarding the kill switch, usually if i know the signal is going to be a long one, i use the kill switch on my bike. When i come to a halt its instinct to use the kill switch, put the side stand and then ogle at the bike for a bit before i switch it off. Then again i love my headlights a lot , so i do that.
Old 1st August 2024, 19:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations - wish you many happy miles of ownership.
Thanks.

The sintered pads have been on my radar. I was thinking of upgrading during the first service. Is the difference really stark?

Under the break-in period, I am not pushing the bike, but it definitely urges to be pushed. Very similar to the Dukes in that sense. Looking forward to finishing the first service and soon.

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase man, I love the 400/X. They just sneak up on you with their innocuous design and then leave you eating their dust after bypassing you easily.
Thanks.

Yes, the bike is peppy and fun to throw around with a rev-happy engine. I was missing this bit on the 310GS. And with a good exhaust note as well. It works for someone who would like to push the bike hard and also those who like to ride sedate.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st August 2024 at 19:56. Reason: Upper case “i”s please. Also some minor typos. Thank you.
Old 1st August 2024, 19:59   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sintered pads have been on my radar. I was thinking of upgrading during the first service. Is the difference really stark?

Under the break-in period, I am not pushing the bike, but it definitely urges to be pushed. Very similar to the Dukes in that sense. Looking forward to finishing the first service and soon.
The brake pads definitely make a notable difference. I highly recommend it.

I also changed to a DNA air filter from Custom Elements. Details below. That too I feel opens her up a bit more. But you can consider that post run in / first service. Not essential anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_9650.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 21:50   #236
BHPian

Congratulations, I have also booked a 400X but not made the jump yet. You mentioned reasonably priced accessories, I have heard otherwise. Can you please share the prices you got?
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:15   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Congratulations, I have also booked a 400X but not made the jump yet. You mentioned reasonably priced accessories, I have heard otherwise. Can you please share the prices you got?
Thanks!

Yes, there is disparity in the cost of accessories. I think some of them are made in India, hence very reasonably priced. Some maybe imported hence highly overpriced. Sharing pictures below where i have colour-coded them basis affordable, normal and overpriced.

The accessories which i wanted like the engine guard, luggage rack, high fender, tank pad, flyscreen, splash guard, etc were all very reasonably priced. I already have some bags and top box from previous bikes, hence was not interested in new ones I could have tried the quilted seat if it was affordable, but i feel thats overpriced.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-ac01.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-ac02.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 2nd August 2024 at 12:16.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:28   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Yes, there is disparity in the cost of accessories. I think some of them are made in India, hence very reasonably priced. Some maybe imported hence highly overpriced. Sharing pictures below where i have colour-coded them basis affordable, normal and overpriced.
Thanks for the compilation. Looking at the top box prices in our market, I find the second one's price as acceptable as well.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:33   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Nasir. I am sure you will do full justice to it including the X Moniker

Is it your first from "Triumph" family ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe
Old 3rd August 2024, 16:20   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on fantastic purchase. Two things you would have noticed on 400X. The fit and finish and quality of materials are matching their more expensive line-up. Even though it's built by Bajaj in Pune, cycle parts and components feels like a segment or two above.

Another thing to note is the stance. Regular Speed just doesn't have the road presence. This one with its increased height, beefy tyres and overall stance looks like a proper 4 Lakh motorcycle and it's the one to buy out of two. Additionally it's more accommodating to taller riders which gives to advantage over Duke/ Husqvarna 401, Honda 350, Harley Davidson and the likes.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th August 2024 at 07:56.
Flyingdutchman is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed