Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 17:34   #196
BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Took my friend's Triumph Scrambler 400X to the beach.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-cover_photo.jpg
The initial plan was to take one bike and one car along with family to the beach for a weekend get away. But once I got the bike, I didn't return it!

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-bike8.jpg
Once you ride in the rains and are 'set' with your rain gear then no way I'm switching to the comfort of a car.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-bike7.jpg
Coming from the Interceptor this bike feels light and nimble on the feet. The handlebar ergonomics needs some adjustments for me (rotate towards the rider). I kept adjusting the RV mirrors and settled for a compromised view. My friend is taller than me so no change required for him. Suspension is decent and only gets unsettled in sharp bumps. Rear one is on the softer side, may be we can try increasing the pre-load.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-bike10.jpg
The Scrambler had the Maddog Alpha LED (aux) lights and it was a boon in the foggy conditions in Tamhini ghat. The headlights are useless. The fuel meter has a mind of its own but I ride an Interceptor and I'm expert with range and refills by now!
I was more than happy to be able to see the time on the dashboard. The tacho is useless, one can hear the exhaust note and train the mind for better rpm indication. Surprisingly, the tyres behaved very well on the wet roads, it was clean but wet roads no gravel etc. I was steady and didn't see/feel any TC/ABS kicking in. I rarely use the rear brakes and this needs some used to and I would suggest all to change to the Speed 400's brake pads (sintered) when due.

Power delivery, vibes & heat didn't bother me much and I was not fatigued for the 180km ride (one way).

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-rear_dirt.jpg
Few things that bothered me a bit,
  • It throws a lot of muck on the pillion seat! Triumph is selling a splash guard kit and it is a must have.
  • The slope of the rider seat doesn't let you move back, I was ending up near the tank. Need to check out the quilted touring rider seat from Triumph.
  • The rider foot pegs has minimal anchorage points, I tend to stay on the ball of my feet and press with my heel on the bike. It was missing something! All the way it was good roads, I stood up only to get some air flowing. I didn't notice any flex in the pegs.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-stay.jpg
Day 1: Pune to Diveagar (stay) and finally Indian men's Cricket team won an ICC tournament!

Day 2: Diveagar to Harihareshwar to have our favorite fish. This I let my friend ride his bike, I drove the car!

Harihareshwar to Pune - Afternoon ride after lunch with rain gear and no rains initially and then pouring and foggy Tamhini filtering through weekend revelers was fun. I was not bothered about the bike, to sum it up it was effortless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The bike should be comfortable, decently powerful with some character, upright ergonomics, good suspension, where i think the scrambler 400X fits well. It also allows me to explore some light trails on weekends, around the town.
This seems a perfect candidate in your use-case. It's closer to your GS310, where you gain some power and loose some plushness from the BMW suspension. If possible try to check a well used 400X, I help my friend in lubing the chain and it catches rust on the slightest negligence. An odd bolt is showing surface rust. My friend's bike has run only 2300 kms!

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-bike11.jpg
I've ridden the new Himalayan for a short distance and would like to ride it for a similar trip to the beach and back but I feel I would still pick the Scrambler over it.

Food-o-logue:

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-veg_thali.jpg
Veg thali

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-modak.jpg
Modak

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-fish_thali.jpg
Fish thali

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-fish_fry.jpg
Surmai fish fry

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-surjaonwheelz.jpg
I had this much fun. Rain gear by Decathlon over riding gears.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 11th July 2024 at 17:39.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 11:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took my friend's Triumph Scrambler 400X to the beach.
Lovely pictures and nice post, but that fish thali looks even better.

As an Interceptor rider, how would you describe the power on the 400X? I know they are different in terms of a twin and a single, but I ride an interceptor too (pic below), and one of the fear I have is missing a lot on the power the interceptor offers (yes, I would be selling the interceptor too shortly). Hope the 400X offers enough to not miss the interceptor much. Also, is the seat slope bothersome enough, as in the test ride, I had similar feelings.

Quote:
This seems a perfect candidate in your use-case. It's closer to your GS310, where you gain some power and loose some plushness from the BMW suspension. If possible try to check a well used 400X, I help my friend in lubing the chain and it catches rust on the slightest negligence. An odd bolt is showing surface rust. My friend's bike has run only 2300 kms!
That resonates well as I had similar thoughts. I have (more or less) found a new home for the 310 and if all goes well, the bike may exchange hands tomorrow. I am not really looking at a used 400X as there is also 10K discount going on which helps the cause. Maybe I will taken another longish test ride and book the 400X. RE Guerrilla launch is on 17th, so maybe I will book after checking out what that bike has to offer, although the heart is set on scrambler.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20230814_103031.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th July 2024 at 12:17. Reason: i —> I across the post + few typos.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 12:15   #198
BHPian

Quote:
As an Interceptor rider, how would you describe the power on the 400X? I know they are different in terms of a twin and a single, but i ride an interceptor too (pic below), and one of the fear i have is missing a lot on the power the interceptor offers (yes, i would be selling the interceptor too shortly). Hope the 400X offers enough to not miss the interceptor much. Also, is the seat slope bothersome enough, as in the test ride, I had similar feelings.
I've not analyzed it that way, the Scrambler replacing my Interceptor. As this was a monsoon ride, I hardly touched triple digits! I felt the reduction in weight more rewarding than the reduction in power. Once I had to visit the city with tight parking spaces and I happily picked the Scrambler over the Interceptor. Though sitting pillion on the Scrambler in monsoons is a dirty affair even for city commutes! I think you'll be engaged for quite sometime and will only miss the 'RE things' I know your Interceptor very well (without pic above).

The seat issue can be improved by trying the touring seat or by a seat maker, both you're experienced enough to execute.

Quote:
That resonates well as I had similar thoughts. I have (more or less) found a new home for the 310 and if all goes well, the bike may exchange hands tomorrow. I am not really looking at a used 400X as there is also 10K discount going on which helps the cause. Maybe i will taken another longish test ride and book the 400X. RE Gureilla launch is on 17th, so maybe i will book after checking out what that bike has to offer, although the heart is set on scrambler.
All the best for your deal. You got me wrong, I was suggesting to check out a high mileage bike to see how it ages? New Scrambler is recommended anyday! I would also suggest, to go the Custom way. Kerala Triumph showrooms are killing it, no wonder they're called 'Mods own country!' Check out their social media posts.

Guerilla is a perfect competitor to the Scrambler 400X (S400X), hence the hurry from RE to launch it after the Himmy instead on the Interceptor Bear 650 (Scrambler 650). Guerilla might grab a pie form the Himmy sales depending on how good the suspension is? Himmy's suspension is superb!

I've ridden Nilesh5417's Himmy on a return leg of our weekend rides, I felt it's a little bit more effort in riding it over the S400X. But RE is always more engaging both on and off the bike, if you know what I mean!

For the Guerilla test rides and booking you might have to wait another month to get your bike delivered and then go for the Independence Ride

For the next S400X test ride, try to revv higher (above 6k rpm), a different character is hidden in that engine.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 12th July 2024 at 12:20.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 15:53   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Guerilla is a perfect competitor to the Scrambler 400X (S400X), hence the hurry from RE to launch it after the Himmy instead on the Interceptor Bear 650 (Scrambler 650). Guerilla might grab a pie form the Himmy sales depending on how good the suspension is? Himmy's suspension is superb!
Personally I'd say the Guerilla may shape up to be something more similar in experience to the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. But I'm sure someone will manage to switch out the front wheel for a Meteor 350 or Super Meteor front (I'd expect the Super Meteor wheel to be stronger) and upgrade the forks and shock, most likely from the Himalayan. Now that would be a proper Scrambler to out-do the Triumph Scrambler as well! If only for a little more cash, and not sure how the electronics would be handled, I'm sure the ABS will need a re-tune of some description.
Old 15th July 2024, 12:56   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best for your deal.
Thanks! I have booked one yesterday. Delivery should take about a week to ten days. Took another test ride and yet again, could not find a comfortable position on the seat. I feel the seat slightly slopes forward, lets see how it fares over long hours in the saddle. Another noticible point was the handlebar position which felt very slightly leaning forward. This is because i am used to extra upright posture on my current rides. A simple riser should help the cause.

I was wondering if it is makes sense to swap the tyres at the time of delivery with something more dual sport? What options do i have? This way, i can try and sell the stock tyres as "almost new".

The insurance amount quoted is 25+k for New India Insurance (1st party for a year and 3rd party for 5 years) which i feel is on the higher side. A quick search on Policy Bazaar shows under 17K for similar coverage. Does it make sense to try and get an insurance from outside the showroom?

I am not much inclined towards Guerilla, as i would prefer the Himalayan anyday. Just wanted to have a look at it, for which, the launch event and some initial ride reports would be enough.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 16:48   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I have booked one yesterday. Delivery should take about a week to ten days.

I was wondering if it is makes sense to swap the tyres at the time of delivery with something more dual sport? What options do i have?

Does it make sense to try and get an insurance from outside the showroom?
  • Congratulations! Looking forward to the delivery of your Scrambler 400X.
  • Only option I see are the Reise Moto tyres! I'm not familiar with their product naming, TrailR, TraceR & TourR etc. Check them out.
  • I see no point in the hassle for insurance from outside, it's worth bargaining though (at the showroom)!
Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:38   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the seat slightly slopes forward, lets see how it fares over long hours in the saddle. .
It is reported by others as well. The seat sold as an accessory fixes it, see the video attached.

Congrats for your booking. All the best.
PatienceWins is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 18:35   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
It is reported by others as well. The seat sold as an accessory fixes it, see the video attached.
Thank you!!
At Khivraj Triumph, whitefield, i saw a fully accessoried 400X on display including the touring seat. I did have a closer look and the seat profile was very similar to stock, and the padding felt hard. Except for the "quilt" pattern, i did not notice much difference so was wondering is 9k+ is worth it. These issues i have mentioed are not a big bother to begin with, and we can evaluate once we have spent some time riding the bike and take a call.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 20:03   #204
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello, I am planning to go for the 400x. To fellow owners. Can you help me know about the things to inspect when getting the bike.

Also, to protect the tank, I have seen multiple options ranging from PPF to ceramic coating. Can you tell which is the better option? I plan to go with gloss paint options.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2024 at 14:32. Reason: Please use caps where needed. (i —> I.)
Old 20th July 2024, 11:06   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryweaver View Post

Also, to protect the tank, i have seen multiple options ranging from PPF to ceramic coating. Can you tell which is the better option? I plan to go with gloss paint options.
Options are available but are they worth. The cost of replacement tank is about 8K. Will it make sense to do PPF or ceramic coating for 5-7K which you will need to do every year or 2?

Take a call. Stick or use a transparent tank pad instead.
Old 20th July 2024, 11:11   #206
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Options are available but are they worth. The cost of replacement tank is about 8K. Will it make sense to do PPF or ceramic coating for 5-7K which you will need to do every year or 2?

Take a call. Stick or use a transparent tank pad instead.

I read some people mention. They get a 5 year warranty with PPF. If it needs to replaced every year it doesn’t make any sense. I guess then waxing it regularly shall be the suitable choice.
Old 21st July 2024, 20:49   #207

Hi my scrambler 400x fuel gauge is very inaccurate. It goes down to two dots and when I fill it up till auto cut it only takes around 6L of fuel. And after 130-140km it again comes down to two or three dots. Is this issue common? Makes it really difficult to go on long tours without the reliability. Another thing I've noticed is there's a pressurised hissing sound whenever I open the gas tank.

Last edited by rishavch2104 : 21st July 2024 at 21:03.
Old 21st July 2024, 21:20   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
On the overall changes / customisations to my Scrambler.

- Barkbusters handguards
- Removed saree guard
- OEM small windshield
- Tyres upgraded to Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
- OEM high mudguard (wrapped in white)
- Wrap on the side plate with the number 16.
- SP Connect phone mount.
Hey Axe, The bike looks really nice. Wanted to check if you got the wrap on the side plate and high mudguard done in Mumbai? And if yes then can you share the location - they have done a neat job

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st July 2024 at 22:05.
Old 21st July 2024, 22:08   #209
Team-BHP Support

1. The wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post
Hey Axe, The bike looks really nice. Wanted to check if you got the wrap on the side plate and high mudguard done in Mumbai? And if yes then can you share the location - they have done a neat job
Thank you. It’s really a very basic sticker job not a “wrap” wrap as such. I did it at The Shed, run by Zubin Ponappa - he’s based around Bandra (E). He had done similar sticker jobs albeit a bit more elaborate for my Tiger as well (can be seen on my Tiger 800 ownership thread).

His workshop location:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/zDxi2im6XaZe...s.preview.copy

2. Recent monsoon ride

It was properly lashing in Mumbai / surrounding areas this weekend. I did my first monsoon ride yesterday and literally started from the deep end (pun unintended). There’s only so much even Rynox rain wear can achieve and we were thoroughly soaked but what incredible fun!! We went to a nice spot somewhere well ahead of Imagicaa beyond Khopoli and on the return had brekker at Tranquil, very close to Imagicaa.

If all you’re seeking is ‘water crossings’, no need to go to Himachal this time of year - MH throws up plenty. We managed plenty of “puddles”, big and small, both within and outside Mumbai. A couple of pics - one of part of the bike entourage (there were at least 6-8 more bikes than in that group pic) and one of mine at this lovely little water body where we halted before turning around.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_1538.jpeg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-4891f66368ba4fa7bff541c5a7578f48.jpeg

3. Tyre suggestions
Quote:
I was wondering if it is makes sense to swap the tyres at the time of delivery with something more dual sport? What options do i have? This way, i can try and sell the stock tyres as "almost new".
While the Apollo H1s in the Speed are really good, the Scrambler stock tyres are quite rubbish and I’d definitely recommend a change.

I personally went for Pirelli STRs pretty early into my ownership but I’m conscious relevant to the bike segment they’re a bit pricey. If you don’t want to spend that much, you could consider the relevant options from Reise Moto as Surja recommended. I’ve heard good things about those although don’t have personal experience with the brand.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th July 2024 at 10:19. Reason: Merging consecutive posts (although they’re some time apart).
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 16:25   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally went for Pirelli STRs pretty early into my ownership but I’m conscious relevant to the bike segment they’re a bit pricey. If you don’t want to spend that much, you could consider the relevant options from Reise Moto as Surja recommended. I’ve heard good things about those although don’t have personal experience with the brand.
Pirelli STRs are pricey enough to fall under the "dream tyre" bracket, but its one of the best and good looking tyre out there, if one can.

A friend is running Reise TrailR on his Vstorm SX 250 and very happy with the performance, on and off the road. I have used Timsuns in the past and found them as decent enough tyre for dual sport requirement. But over time, they have also become expensive with limited choice options.

If I am not swapping tyre before delivery of the bike, might as well use it for a while. Anyways my requirements are mostly commuting and some light trails with sedate riding, so should suffice.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2024 at 16:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks