Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 20:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward

"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times, shame on both of us"

So now five times? That's the story of the Honda Bigwing - the seperate premium network created under Honda’s Silver Wing-Mark to cater exclusively to the brand’s more premium offerings since 2019. Since then the brand has seen five overpriced launches - all market flops that resulted in big price corrections and even an abandoned launch!

1. Honda CB500X
Launched: March 2021
Launch Price: 6.87L
Relaunched: February 2022
Price reduction: 1.1L (16% on ex showroom)

BigWing started the trend with a massive 1.1L reduction (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...0ex%2Dshowroom (Honda CB500X prices slashed by INR 1.1 lakh)) in February 2022. Priced too optimistic, the vehicle price was slashed to sell off inventory and later discontinued.

2. Honda CBR 1000 RR-R
Launched: August 2020
Launch Price: 33L
Relaunched: April 2022
Price reduction: 10L (30% on ex showroom)

Next in line was the flagship supersport - with an unheard off 10L price cuts (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...s-10-lakh.html (Honda CBR1000RR-R price slashed by Rs. 10 lakh)) in April 2022. A couple of units were sold and no stocks were imported afterwards.

3. Honda CB300F
Launched: August 2022
Launch Price: 2.26L
Relaunched: December 2022
Price reduction: 64k (28% on ex showroom)

Most shocking price cut was of the CB300F within 4 months of launch with a massive slash after the market reception turned out to be a damp squib for Honda. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...1-70-lakh.html (Honda CB300F re-launched at Rs. 1.70 lakh))

4. Honda CB500F
Launched: Classified?
Launch Price: ~6.5L onroad

Of the five bikes in the list, this would be the most secretive one - with just five bikes imported and sold at a high price of around 6.5L onroad. There was no official launch, all five bikes imported for showcase were disposed to owners and prospective owners were promised a launch in the early 2023, which never happened. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...hip-india.html (Scoop! Honda CB500F showcased at BigWing dealership in India))

Honda probably realizing that it doesn't stand a chance even with the usual price cuts?

5. Honda CB300R
Launched: January 2022 (BS6 + CKD version)
Launch Price: 2.77L
Relaunched: October 2023
Price reduction: 37k (13% on ex showroom)

Latest in the list is the Honda CB300R with a price revision, possibly as a response to the latest launches from Triumph and TVS. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...2-40-lakh.html (2023 Honda CB300R launched at Rs 2.40 lakh))

To make matters worse - I hear the dealer network is very unhappy. H'ness sales are keeping the showrooms running but its sales have not been a patch on the RE figures as once expected - and to make matters worse - Honda India has not received any stocks of imported bikes in 2023. I had visited the showrooms back in March for myself and recently for a friend and the sales guys admit they are fed up of answering stock and delay queries from customers. The stocks of the popular CBR650R and Africa Twin are expected only in Q2 2024!

With this history - the question is if it is worth buying any new products from Honda Bigwing? Those who are willing to pay the typical Honda premium with which the products are being launched are likely to repent their decision within a few months - either with massive price reductions or product discontinuation.

What is the way forward? Hoping to see some quick course correction from Honda - for what looked like one of the most promising moves for India's big bike market looks to have turned out to be one of the worst executed ones in recent times.

Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward-img_5041.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th October 2023 at 07:11. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (121) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 20:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward

If their sales strategies are so misconstrued, with the neglect and apathy added, what kind of spares replenishments could be expected? Good products are not enough but these need to be backed by a determined and motivated marketing network.

Honda India after these launches, price corrections and ultimate fiascos needs to abandon Bigwings if they can't improve, and concentrate on Smallwings (100-125 cc) where they are doing good. RE is really proving that it's fit for Bigwings and hence this name's brand equity if sold to RE can at least do justice to the name.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 02:49   #3
BHPian

re: Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward

I’m glad to see Honda getting what it deserves. Poor pricing, apathy towards new launches and poor after sales service - this is what defines the motorcycle wing of Honda. They’re happy minting through the Activa and probably couldn’t care less.
As for everyone eagerly waiting for the elusive CB500X relaunch, please do yourself a favour and get another motorcycle!
Darkcloud is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 08:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Bigwing - A story of sales flops and price cuts: The Way forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times, you haven't learnt"
This is what I had thought about Honda's market in India long back due to this pricing strategy & add to that:
1. Sticker updates with C250R
2. Not following counter sales for spares
3. Creating artificial demand for spares

My personal opinion is: HMSI is at the brink at wrapping their business in India but for their strongest pillar Activa

Many thanks for bringing this up

The only way forward I see for HMSI {perhaps HCIL as well} is to consult or atleast review the posts of HMSI & HCIL in TBhp; obviously being a TBhp member, I cannot resist the urge the importance for understanding loyal Customer/fanbase no better than this platform.

Last edited by aargee : 17th October 2023 at 08:23.
aargee is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 10:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward

Come on why worry about all this, all effort is on to bring the Honda Activa 7G shortly in the market.

Way forward - Sell Honda Activa 7G Pro plus model with a bump of 1 bhp power exclusively from Honda Big wing and see the dealers flourish.
AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 10:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Honda in contented with the mass market scooters and bikes. Their bottom-line sales are stable and hence they do not have any motivation to improve and cater to the premium segment.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from availability of bikes they have major issue of parts as well. Few posts in forum for parts availability of even decently well selling bikes. I have faced this issue with Activa 125 , I have been getting it serviced regularly in Honda authorised service center and apart from the regular service spare parts, oil etc. The service center doesn't have any other spare parts available, anything i ask them to change, they have only one answer that part is not available and they are not ready to take order as well, will just tell you to check after 1 month.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 17th October 2023 at 11:04.
Rahulkool is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 11:20   #8
RMN
BHPian

Somehow, there is a HUGE disconnect between HONDA Japan & HONDA India. Feels like Japan isn't really keen on investing or working with India and the whole BigWing saga was just fulfilling some obligation or contract. Dealership would soon decide to move on.
RMN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 11:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

In my search for a replacement bike, had been to a Honda Big Wing showroom. I think the one showed in this thread itself, the main flagship store near UB City /Lavelle Road. The showroom was empty and I was shocked at the lack of response. I only knew about the Highness Bikes and was interested in knowing about some of these other models-pricing, availability, test rides. The sales guy was disinterested, did not seem to have any information on availability and in general had the attitude, Honda has not told us anything so - 'Can you leave, so that I can go back to sitting around doing nothing'.

I walked out in 5 min. Whatever interest I had to look at the Honda Bikes as a replacement, was completely lost with that visit
Rajeevraj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 11:57   #10
BHPian

It really rubs me the wrong way to see Honda being a beta player in the Indian automobile narket when they could be the alpha. Granted HMSI is doing much better than HCIL but when it comes to performance bikes they have nothing to show for.

Honda has SO MANY products they can sell in India. What are they doing? Why are they this way? Is the upper management hopelessly incompetent or just doesn’t care at all?

I can’t believe Honda is such a loser in India market. It’s honestly disgusting and sad. Second rate Japanese manufacturers i.e. the Koreans are selling mediocre products and making tonnes of money. But all Honda does best is selling commuter scooties. The same brand which made NSX, Civic, iVtec, Fireblade and other legendary products.

It’s tragic and shameful to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Bigwing | A story of sales flops and price cuts | The way forward-4c76b5b2105c423b9faa09a44b4fe65e.jpeg  

Himanshu809 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 14:14   #11
BHPian

I had some hopes of Honda launching the ADV 160 scooter when Aerox was launched by Yamaha. But as someone in this discussion pointed out and has been my first hand experience as well, there is absolutely no spare parts even for Activa, other than the Air filter and oil filter. The service center folks are also least bothered about feedback from owners. "Whatever, you suckers will keep coming back" is what I can read off their reaction. High time folks move away from Honda 2 wheelers.
Neo18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 14:43   #12
BHPian

Good this topic has been brought up.

I went back to riding bikes after a 6year gap, and needed a light bike yet powerful.
I went ahead without 2nd thoughts on the CB300R , with great reviews and feedback across the world.

Within 3 days of delivery, I found a front tire leak from rims, after huge fight with dealer and vendor (MRF), I got full replacement for the tire under warranty. it was Jan 2021 manufacturing tire on a Dec 2022 assembled bike.

Then came the news of Crankcase Replacement Recall. My VIN was verified and I was called for the replacement, even though my bike never had any issues. But post replacement and ill fitment of oil filter by the HBW guys, oil started leaking.
It was refitted with new washer.

While all this drama was on, the battery decided to go dead.
The TATA Green battery was replaced again under warranty.
The accessibility of the battery is so tough, you are guaranteed to get something wrong when refitting back everything.

I dont understand this price and flops from Honda. The dealership is only running because to CB350RS and H'ness nothing else moves, not even the CB300F.

A full detailed ownership coming soon.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Once upon a time, I had booked the Honda H'Ness with Pashankar Auto on J.M. Road when they had just launched it. They promised a delivery time of a maximum of two weeks for the Highness. Now this was sometime in December 2019 (pre-covid era). Later on, I found out that, Pashankar Auto never had a BigWing Showroom operational at that time. Still, the showroom guys slyly accepted the booking amount, knowing very well, they had nothing to deliver in two weeks.

They kept disconnecting my follow-up calls and finally, I cancelled the booking. Retrieving the booking amount was a pain, and finally, when I raised my voice on the showroom floor in front of 15-20 other prospective Honda Activa customers; their CRM came running out of the cabin and afterwards they grudgingly refunded the amount in about 8-10 days. During these 10 days, they were constantly trying to convince me to continue with the booking and promised a delivery immediately after their showroom opened. All this left a bad taste in the buying experience and I decided never to book anything with Honda 2-wheelers again.

The point I am trying to make here is that - Honda has a very lacklustre attitude towards their customers. It's like "Take it, or leave it". They are probably resting on their Honda Activa Laurels and I think they have completely lost touch with the customers in these years, selling mass market bikes. If this is the way Honda is going to treat their customers who are buying their premium bikes, then I am not surprised at the way things have turned up for them.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:28   #14
BHPian

It will be interesting to see if their Activas will sell as well as slowly electric mobility becomes prevalent.

What will Honda India be left with then?
Sidban85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Bigwing - A story of sales flops and price cuts: The Way forward

Good point for the thread. Something that has skipped my radar except for the couple of CB300R and a CB300F owners updating us on the lack of spares and support from the ASC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is what I had thought about Honda's market in India long back due to this pricing strategy
I thought during the launch of the CBR250R Honda 2 wheelers was going to ace it but with the benefit of hindsight they were at their peak performance.

Its the curse of ruining the start which they got with CBR250R but I guess they're making more money than they would've thought.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks