Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 20:43   #16
BHPian

Re: 2023 Honda CB300R launched at Rs 2.40 lakh

This should've been done earlier instead of the festive season. Honda is too busy milking their cash cow (Activa) and ignoring the biker community. This price reduction could've been done to compete with upcoming launch of Yamaha R3.
As once user above (like me) is waiting for price correction of CB500X, I think it will be done when Yamaha will launch R7.
Old 16th October 2023, 21:18   #17
BHPian

What is the use case for this bike apart from fairly short city commutes. The fuel tank capacity is tiny for it to be a serious commuter/tourer with around 240km of tank range. The size is quite diminutive, there's spare parts availability issue. The engine too if I remember correctly isn't 'Honda smooth'. This and the Husqvarnas seem to be more of a lifestyle products rather than practical buy.

At 2.8 on road, bikes like the triumph Speed 400, Duke 250, rc 200, adv 250, rtr310, Himalayan, classic 350, meteor 350, suzuki 250 seem far more accomplished and purpose built. The s400 and Duke 250 serve as much excitement while being more practical.
kedar3223 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 21:38   #18
BHPian

Very tempting price this!! Power to weight ratio, compact dimensions and refined engine make it a perfect city bike. Also I think atleast 1 out of 10 people considering the Speed 400 will consider and get this instead. Thankyou Bajaj for bringing Honda back on earth 😆
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 00:19   #19
BHPian

Isn't it a bit too late for Honda to make this move? The bustling 200-300 CC has seen so many good options that people almost forgot that there are Honda's offerings—and I would say they did it to themselves.

The Japanese monopoly has long gone in India. Indian, European, and American manufacturers have torn into their share, and people would no longer stand the exorbitant prices of the Japanese, particularly the Hondas.

But somewhere, the hope is still left for Honda, and they need to stop living in the place called inflated pricing space and see the reality.
TheEcoBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 14:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Looking at the specs, I don't find this bike practical for most use-cases.
Au contraire, in my opinion this is actually an incredibly practical do-most-of-it bike for anyone living in a large (crowded) Indian city (which is most of us on this forum). Don’t simply go by specs. It handles like an absolute scalpel, can be ridden in the teens in third gear with no lugging, pulls like a train without having to shift down all the time, has a very comfortable riding position and can be flat footed by most. It is INFINITELY more practical than the Duke and we know how that sells. Think about where most buyers spend the bulk of their time in saddle. If you have a single bike garage it is likely to be 90% in city. Even if you want to hit the highways, you still need to get in and out of cities. Compare it to other street bikes in adjacent displacements, whether the Duke 390 or the FZ250 and you’ll find it the best of all worlds from rideability, refinement, power (through the powerbands) and handling. It only gives up a little top end to the Duke while generating much more further down, where most of us spend most of our time. The new Triumphs are excellent on paper but time will tell - all Facebook fora are flooded with complaints of overheating, mystery shut-offs, electronics mishaps and so on. And sometimes people just want options. The market is large enough to have many players and options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The major drawbacks are the 157mm of ground clearance and 9.7L fuel tank capacity (about 8L usable I assume)… ideally drop one of these bikes from the line-up and come up with a 300X which combines the best of both worlds
Clearance (of bumps/objects/whatever) is a function of many things not just basic frame-to-ground clearance - wheelbase and suspension play a major part it in. There have been zero complaints about consistent scraping and I personally never found it wanting in my test ride when the roads were ripped to shreds. True about the tank capacity. A couple of more litres wouldn’t hurt but Honda are masters at calibrating ride dynamics and it may have played a part in it. As such, a capacity to take you 250-300 kms is enough for major highway cruising on a naked/street bike, in my opinion. Most people would take breaks well before anyway unless you were doing an iron butt challenge.

With reference to the second part of what you wrote, there is actually a CL300 launching globally which is this package but in a scrambler/dirt avatar and that would be an absolute blast in my opinion. But forget us getting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Those getting excited better be prepared for uncharacteristic (for better selling Honda motorcycles) poor parts support as seen in cases like - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-6-months.html (Honda BigWing unable to get parts for my CB300R for more than 6 months)
I’ve seen a couple of them on this forum and yes it perhaps points to Honda no longer being the king of reliability (though I struggle to place anyone higher still). However, of the two I remember, one was an idiotic error of paper being stuck in the radiator and the other was a scratched console. These are minor to me. Particularly when we are accepting of thousands of complaints about RE from frame breakage and suspension failure to electrical problems which now have aftermarket solutions. Heck KTMs have millions of documented niggles too. Not to mention shitty service centres. Here in Bangalore we have the absolute worst Triumph dealer and after-market support (or lack thereof). Perhaps that bar that we set is a little too high for one brand while being considerably more generously low for others? A little consistency in that would make for a more objective analysis. I do think that greater sales should make for better inventory and support, at least after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
This is still expensive for a 300cc, as it will cost about 2.8L on road. And even thought it carries a Honda Reliability premium, Triumph 400s have a long service interval so they could be equally reliable. We will see in a few months.
We are too used to tossing around this thing about Honda’s ‘reliability premium’, perhaps most so because of the Honda City. But I would argue that here it is a ‘performance premium’ - the CB300R is a beast of a performer in almost every category and should be assessed as such. Comparing it to other 250-300s because of displacement and horsepower figures on paper misses the wood for the trees. This should be (and has been) compared to the 390s and it still compares very favourably depending on what you value. It now sells at a considerable discount to the Duke 390 and should be viewed through that lens in my opinion. On the Triumphs, I agree it ‘could’ work out better and I’m on the early booking list for the Scrambler but for the moment the forums are flooded with all sorts of complaints ranging from electrical issues to over heating to phantom shut-offs. I expect time will iron these out but none of this has ever been an issue with the little Honda.

Sadly the ways of Honda’s thinking can be mysterious to us - those Indian customers who would love for more from the brand. Realistically though, if you sit on their side of the table, from a global standpoint, they really don’t care too much about India as a market and I think that’s the fundamental problem. For us potential customers anyway.

Last edited by RT13 : 17th October 2023 at 15:09.
RT13 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 20:59   #21
BHPian

The 2024 Duke 250 costs around 2.39 lacs ex-showroom and has 0.5 ps more power(but less torque) than CB300R. Now that it's priced at 2.40 lacs ex-showroom, it becomes much better proposition than Duke 250. With 286cc engine, it was never a D390 competitor to begin with. Now that Honda has corrected the price, it should see decent sales.

PS: Talking about Honda's reliability, just bought Hornet 2.0 on 17th September and it's my 5th personal Honda(4th bought from self-earned money) after 2005 Unicorn, 2016 CBR250R, 2018 Unicorn, 2021 Unicorn. And I must admit what an amazing bike it is especially after the slipper clutch inclusion. At 1.39 lacs ex-showroom it's even cheaper than Gixxer 155 and great VFM.

Honda seems to be on a roll this year after (re)launching 2024 Hornet 2.0, CB300F and now CB300R. Now they just need to re-launch CBR150R and CBR250/300R.

Last edited by FireBlade : 17th October 2023 at 21:01.
FireBlade is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 21:58   #22
BHPian

This just makes me love my Triumph Speed 400 more. Hehe. Typical Honda; too little too late. It makes me depressed honestly the state of Honda in India. Makes me miss my 2019 Honda City CVT which got stolen last year.

Last edited by Himanshu809 : 17th October 2023 at 21:59.
Old 17th October 2023, 23:12   #23
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
This just makes me love my Triumph Speed 400 more. Hehe. Typical Honda; too little too late. It makes me depressed honestly the state of Honda in India. Makes me miss my 2019 Honda City CVT which got stolen last year.
Honda aside, how can some one steal a car in the city. It is unheard of in Bengaluru. Even if they manage to steal a car, they will be caught in the next signal struck in a traffic jam .

Between, sorry for losing your car. I wasn't rubbing salt. Just expressed my thoughts. That's it.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 23:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Honda aside, how can some one steal a car in the city. It is unheard of in Bengaluru. Even if they manage to steal a car, they will be caught in the next signal struck in a traffic jam .

Between, sorry for losing your car. I wasn't rubbing salt. Just expressed my thoughts. That's it.
Hahaha. I’m sure there are plenty of car thefts in Bengaluru. I live in Delhi, there certainly are enough here. I’ve seen countless videos of big SUVs like Compass, Fortuner, Innova being unlocked and picked up in a matter of minutes by these gangs from posh South Delhi colonies. They took my family’s newest and most loved car. We got it at an amazing discount too. Had only done 40K KMs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th October 2023 at 06:14. Reason: Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.
Himanshu809 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2023, 16:44   #25
BHPian

I used the updated Honda website to express interest in the CB300R. Got a call some time later asking what my preferred color is etc. Test ride bikes are yet to arrive apparently in Bangalore Indiranagar showroom, they mentioned in a week's time it should be possible.
Brio2014 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 21:44   #26

I am happy for this launch and the reduced pricing. I was looking at this last time this was launched.

This could be the perfect premium city bike. This is lighter than the Triumph Speed 400 and I believe will be more nimble. I'll take a test ride and hopefully book!
Old 22nd October 2023, 23:17   #27
BHPian

Honda seems to have finally woken up to the smell the coffee in this 300cc segment. This is the pricing this bike deserved from day 1.

In addition, Honda's attitude towards this machine is strange. Launch BS4, discontinue after BS6. Then reintroduce after a long pause. They localised a lot of the bike at BS6, but never passed on the benefits. Despite the earlier pricing fiasco, the priced it ambitiously again.

Honda again stopped it after BS6.2 and have relaunched it after a long gap. Very much un-Japanese in their approach. Thankfully the pricing is sane this time around.

Anyway, having ridden this over a longish drive, some misnomers need to be set right:

1) Low GC - absolutely no problem. Because of the short wheelbase and relatively firm suspension, never scrapes its underbelly. While the rear is firm it's not uncomfortable. The light weight enables the bike to glide past obstacles.

2) Small fuel-tank - this bike is incredibly fuel efficient thanks to low kerb weight. It can easily rake up 35+ kmpl on highways. Even with an 8 litre usable capacity, you are looking at 250 kms before a fuel stop. Unless you are planning an iron-butt challenge, this is enough for most.

3) Comparison with Duke 250 - The Duke runs a 12.6 compression ratio against 10.7 for the CB300R. This makes the 300R far less stressed. Runs cool in the city and is much smoother at low revs. The suspension too is far more forgiving than the Duke 250. The verdict is still out on the 2024 Duke 250 model though - need to ride that for a full comparo.

All is not rosy though. The single biggest problem is low volumes in India (like most Honda premium bikes). So, the accessory eco-system is virtually non-existent. Most parts have to imported from Europe / South Asia. The Dukes are unbeatable in this regard.

It's not a long distance touring bike. You can make a quick 2-3 day getaway with luggage mounted on the small tail. Technically you can add side stays and add panniers too - but take away the slim and beautiful street bike stance.

During March 23, just before BS6.2, Big Wing showrooms in Mumbai / Thane were selling this machine at a 60-70k discount (on-road). I had an offer for 2.7 lakh OTR upon casual enquiry. I sort of see the prices moderating back to the same level after few months. Happy to be proven wrong.

All in all - this is an absolutely delightful bike. I had a blast riding it. May pick up one in the future when it turns up in the pre-owned market.
Aragorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 20:53   #28
BHPian

I was impressed with the RTR 310, refer below link to check the RTR ride impressions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5656207 (TVS Apache RTR 310 launched at Rs. 2.43 lakh)

After test riding the Apache RTR 310, walked into the Honda Bigwing showroom to check out the the recently re launched CB 300R.

The showroom experience was dull but boy oh boy, the bike is a hooligan!!

* A 300cc bike with 150 cc bike dimensions, I won't call it small, it's compact, and that makes it a terrific city bike.
* Decent built quality, golden usd forks looks beautiful.
* Upright riding stance, extremely nimble and fun to ride due to best in class low weight.
* 31 ps, coupled with low kerb weight, make it a hooligan!! I was smiling throughout the entire test ride. Also the throttle input is not jerky, the RTR 310 felt a bit jerky.
* Extremely smooth and refined engine, no vibrations whatsoever. Loved the exhaust note!!
* Horn will remind you of activa, also horn and indicator positions have been altered.
* No riding modes, no quickshifter, features are definitely not a strong point. The RTR is loaded with features.

I feel the market is going to get flooded with RTR 310 and the speed 400, but with the new pricing, 2.9 lacs on road Pune, Honda CB 300R will find buyers.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Honda CB300R launched at Rs 2.40 lakh-img_20231105_145845.jpg  

RD150 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 23:00   #29
BHPian

what's the fattest/upsize tyre upgrade that can be installed while maintaining/being close to the circumference for front/back?
Old 10th November 2023, 23:11   #30
BHPian

Hello Folks, adding my 2 cents to this topic
I do own the CB300R BS4 2020 model which is an absolutely brilliant machine, being a CKD produced mostly in Thailand I can tell you by first hand experience that Honda took at most care to ensure the quality some few niggles aside. I am part of the owners WhatsApp group where the BS6 owners and older BS4 owners are present and the BS6 machine being heavily localized lacks quality many many issues from suspension bottoming out, rim bends at every pothole, the meter being damaged due to moisture etc etc. lack of parts seems to be biggest grouse (due to volumes ofcourse)
I would be super wary of buying this machine in the present avatar. If you are indeed keen on a CB300R look for a pre-loved one and I'm sure you can find one at an amazing price (DM me if you are in Bangalore and I know a few people from the group who wish to move on)

Fun Story : Honda Listens and doesn't
After the BS4 was launched the good people from Honda came for a survey in Bangalore (atleast) to see what they could improve
Most folks and news anchors said
Gold USD forks
Gear Position Indicator
Pathetic headlight

Honda heard them and provided just that
Gold USD forks that bottom out against the supreme Showa USD forks (in the BS4)
Gear Position Indicator - Really important at the loss of engine temperature gauge
Pathetic headlight remains

My reading is the most folks go by what is popular (other people's opinions) rather than what is essential and good and manufacturers give them this surely laughing all the way through.

All in all i would stay clear of this fiasco from Honda

Last edited by tc89 : 10th November 2023 at 23:12.
tc89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks