Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 21:06   #1
BHPian

TVS Jupiter 125 Review

Greetings fellow BHpians,
Hope you all are doing well. We recently purchased a TVS Jupiter 125 in Titanium Gray and I wanted to share some insights.
Disclaimer: I am not of legal age to drive, hence the driving opinions have been extracted from my parents.
GTO, hope you are happy with my review. I did my best to follow your checklist

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-tvs-logo.jpeg

- Great mileage
- LED lights
- Huge amount of boot space that can accommodate 2 helmets
- Wider, Longer Seat
- No need to get off the scooter to fill fuel, it is placed at the front
- Auto Start – Stop system [TVS Intelligo]
- Neat, Semi digital Instrument Cluster
- Great initial torque.

Dislikes :

- Conventional, Non offending but boring looks.
- High beam throw isn’t positioned well
- Analogue speedometer may not be of everyone’s taste
- No connected tech, which the Jupiter 110 gets.
- Engine feels like its losing breath after 30km/h.
- Closing the boot is annoying – Needs to be pressed at a particular spot.
- Uneven Panels near tail lamp.
- No manual option to switch to Power mode
- Putting the side stand automatically turns the vehicle off, which was annoying when I wanted to take a picture with the lights on .

Choices/Scooters Considered

Our access was slowly but surely showing its age and we felt the need to replace it right around this time last year. Just for queries on the Access and its replacement, I ended up creating three threads on team bhp. The first thread convinced us that it was worth repairing it and keeping it,, but a few days later the Access refused to start and had to be pushed over to the mechanic, which sealed the decision of its replacement.

I created my next thread on Team bhp (Electric vs Petrol scooter | Need advice) where I received a response that an electric would be more suitable for us, but it made us think a lot, and after the Electricity price hike in K’taka, we abandoned the plan of an EV.

Now that we were game on petrol scooters, I did some research and fell in love with the Ntorq but I was down voted by my mother who felt it wasn’t a scooter but a bike. By then, my relative had come down in her Jupiter 125 and my parents were absolutely smitten by it. I dreaded having a Jupiter. I’d always hated the Amitabh Bacchan Ads on TV and now I couldn’t envision a Jupiter in our house. But seeing their faces on examining the scooter, I mentally resigned myself to my fate of getting a Jupiter.

The Ntorq was immediately disqualified and now it was a battle between the Jupiter 125, Jupiter 110, Access 125 and the Avenis which was only considered as I liked its looks. Went over to Advaith Suzuki but the experience was pathetic. No one bothered to even enquire upon what we were looking for and 2 employees were verbally abusing each other in front of all customer. Suzuki needs to up their game in showroom service if they expect serious sales.

Jupiter 125 vs. 110 was a close fight narrowly won by the 125, thanks to my insistence that going from a 125 to a 110 would be a downgrade. That said we booked the Jupiter 125 in Titanium gray with Disc brakes on Wednesday, the 11th of October.

Booking Experience :

Booking was very straight forward, the formalities were completed within 20 minutes and the Booking was confirmed. They promised delivery within 1 day. The showroom officials need to be better informed, the SA adamantly refused that the Jupiter ever had a provision for a boot lamp but she met her match with a BHpian .

Last edited by arnav17 : 16th October 2023 at 15:00.
arnav17 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 21:08   #2
BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter 125 Review

Delivery Experience
The Delivery was in the Evening on the 13th of October, as it was the only day which we were free within the next 5 days.

First Look :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-first-look-showroom.jpeg

Did a Quick PDI, Odometer read 1km which was Okay, Vehicle was fine on the outside and all accessories booked were fitted.

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-odo-1km.jpeg

Was not really a special delivery as such, or maybe I am expecting too much. They just parked the scooter outside, took a photo with the big key and gave a box of chocolates. Receiving registration plates within this week.

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-chocolates.jpeg

The saddest part of the delivery was seeing our beloved Access parked among the other two wheelers at the showroom. That scooter spent 13 years with us and we bid a teary goodbye.

One last photo :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-access-last-photo.jpeg

On road Price and Discounts :
The On road price of the scooter was quoted at INR 1,15,000 and including accessories, it came up to INR 1,18,000. We got INR 11,000 as an exchange offer for our access and the Final Price incl. everything paid was INR 1,08,000.

Warranty and Servicing :
They have offered 1 year, Bumper to Bumper warranty. Service charges will be only for the components changed with labor being free.
Engine Type/ Variant :
The Jupiter comes with a 125cc (124.8cc to be precise) petrol engine making 8.15 horsepower along with 10.5Nm of torque. The Variant we opted for is the top variant with Disc Brakes.

Good/Bad features:
- Silent start – Nice and smooth but somehow I miss the cranking sound of the engine coming to life.
- Boot space - Is a boon to carry Vegetables, helmets etc
- Front Fuel filler – Convenient, no need to get down to fill fuel.

Safety/Electronic Equipment:
- The engine turns off when side stand is engaged and refuses to start when either stand is engaged. An icon too appears on the instrument cluster.
- Pass light
- Auto Start - Stop
- Trip meter

Accessories Installed :
We opted for the entire accessory package and were extremely surprised to find that Boot lamp wasn’t a part of it. The accessories include:
- Full Kit scooter guard
- Onboard USB mobile charger
- Seat Cover
- Free helmet ( Not of great quality)

Number of Kilometers at Present
The Jupiter has clocked just over 50km but I was too excited to write the review hence will update regularly going forward. Also keeping track of mileage on Fuelio.

Usage Pattern –

The Jupiter does not exceed the boundaries of the heart of Bengaluru and is used approximately for about 10km a day.

Fit and Finish/Quality :
The quality is acceptable. The feel of the Indicator, headlight switch is good but there is some movement in the accelerator pedal before the throttle engages. The Seat/Boot lid is a huge ergonomic flaw as it does not close properly unless pressed in a specific spot which is irritating and risky as you could push it down in the wrong spot and damage the scooter.

Wheels /Tires

The Jupiter 125 comes with 90/90 – 12 inchers which happens to be alloys. They look quite good when parked.

Space and Comfort

This is an area where the Jupiter 125 Truly Shines. The seat is wider, longer and more comfortable than most other scooters and the positioning of the footrest is almost perfect for my height (5’8)
The boot space is also a big plus, coming in handy for various jobs. Aside from the boot space there is also a cubby hole that is places below the USB charger on the front which can accommodate a 1l water Bottle.
The riding position definitely suits riders between almost 5’5 and 6’5. Those shorter than 5’5 may struggle a little but the taller ones will have no problem wielding this scooter.

Visibility and Size of mirrors :
The mirrors are of adequate size and you get a good view of the road while riding

Headlamps:

This is a full LED unit that is daytime running. The light is adequate at night and provides good luminescence without blinding traffic coming from the opposite side. The high beam is positioned awkwardly and is half pointing to the sky.

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-led-headlamp.jpeg

Last edited by arnav17 : 16th October 2023 at 14:28.
arnav17 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 21:09   #3
BHPian

Engine Performance :

The Jupiter’s engine does not feel underpowered during city runs and offers enough torque to overtake other vehicles. To me as a pillion, above speeds of 30 km/h, it feels as though the engine is mildly struggling. This isn’t the case though , as I have seen videos of Jupiters touching the 90km/h mark which we cannot attempt tell the run in period is completed.
The Automatic Start stop system is a nice feature to have but can get annoying when it switches off and you least expect it/dint want it to. No highway runs for the Jupiter, at least till it touches 1000km.
Cannot comment on the heating of the engine, as all our drives till now have been within 10km. Will add further details soon. Overall NVH levels are good.

Road Grip/Handling
The Jupiter feels Nimble enough to overtake vehicles moving at reasonable speed and you can cut through traffic effortlessly. The Suspension Offers 3 levels which are adjustable. This is something we haven’t tried yet. At its current setting, it deletes small humps and potholes and prevents the pillion from being tossed about. Its weight is quite less at 108kg and is easy to wield in any case
The Braking is good and it takes time to get used to it after using drums for so long. The disc brakes bite quickly and aggressively and can bring you to a halt quickly.

Looks:

The front looks like any other scooter and a lot like the Activa 125:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-front.jpeg

THe rear gets an LED surround for the brake lamp:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-rear.jpeg

The Disc variant gets alloys which look quite good :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-front-wheel-disc-brakes.jpeg

THe Intelligo Badging :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-intelligo.jpeg

The Team BHP sticker! :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-whatsapp-image-20231016-2.37.21-pm.jpeg

The reflector on the grab handle:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-rear-grad-handle-reflector.jpeg

Boot space!:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-boot-space.jpeg

Instrument Cluster with trip meter

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-trip-meter.jpeg

The USB charger:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-usb-charger.jpeg

The LED DRL :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-led-drl-action.jpeg

Now for some pictures! :

Garage 1.0(Previous) and Garage 2.0:

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-garage-1.0.jpeg

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-garage-2.0.jpeg

The Street with its trusted old companion and with its new stable mate :

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-access-street.jpeg

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-jupiter-street.jpeg

Verdict
My parents are extremely happy with their new acquisition and the looks are slowly growing on me. The biggest plus of the Jupiter is its Boot space, followed by the wider and longer seat which is extremely comfortable and wont give you pain even for 10-15km rides as a pillion. If you are looking for a scooter which is an all-rounder, this is the one for you. Great mileage, space, good power and reasonable amount of safety features make the Jupiter 125 quite VFM. For us, this has ticked all boxes and we are looking forward to our ownership journey!

Thanks for reading .

Last edited by arnav17 : 16th October 2023 at 15:01.
arnav17 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 17:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
...Verdict
My parents are extremely happy with their new acquisition and the looks are slowly growing on me. The biggest plus of the Jupiter is its Boot space, followed by the wider and longer seat which is extremely comfortable and wont give you pain even for 10-15km rides as a pillion. If you are looking for a scooter which is an all-rounder, this is the one for you. Great mileage, space, good power and reasonable amount of safety features make the Jupiter 125 quite VFM. For us, this has ticked all boxes and we are looking forward to our ownership journey!
Great review and wishing your parents a safe riding ahead! The storage space sure is a blessing for running errands.
Bottom line is we need to get a ride that suits our needs.

PS:I always wanted to get the hero street for its convenience of cyclic gears, unfortunately hero stopped selling it. How has the experience with this been?
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 09:16   #6
BHPian

Nice review..

Quote:
Putting the side stand automatically turns the vehicle off, which was annoying when I wanted to take a picture with the lights on .
Engine switching off or refusing to start in side stand is safety features required especially in automatic scooters employing centrifugal clutch. If not , scooter might shoot off if throttle is given more accidently. This is only applicable only to side stand not applicable to central stand.
Relevant page from the owner's manual:
TVS Jupiter 125 Review-screenshot_20231017_090849_adobe-acrobat.jpg
kvsneela is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 12:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Jupiter 125 is a fantastic package with loads of features with a great competitive price. If we can look beyond some niggling issues {seat not locking at times, fuel cap not working as intended sometimes etc}, its the best VFM commuter segment scooter in the market for now. I'm more interested in knowing the real world FE & servicing cost, hopefully we get to know this from your long term ownership review. Thanks for sharing
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 21:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A very well written review by you, the youngster. The TVS scooters outsells all its peers, but the Activa. But its a very practical and VFM machine as you say, packed with multiple features. I am not aware of what either the latest Hero Pleasure (its siblings too) or Activa or Access offer as features, but I am sure many of the features you've mentioned about would be missed in the competition. The disc brakes, alloys and the front twin fork telescopic suspension are assets. TVS has shifted the petrol tank away from its usual location that seems to have created additional space for the glove box. This huge lockable space is quite an asset too.

The headlight focus can surely be adjusted and many OEM's mention the process in the owner's manual. Its a simple DIY job.

As regards Amitabh Bachchan, I am not sure why he recommends such products that he doesn't and also cannot use. He and his family members had posed for the Maruti Versa some 20 years ago. The Versa flopped and they renamed and launched it as Eeco in 2010.

TVS can save a lot if it avoids such star endorsements and pass on the benefits to customers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th October 2023 at 21:13.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 21:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not of legal age to drive, hence the driving opinions have been extracted from my parents.
That's a very well put write-up. Looking forward to more from you and especially after you get your license

Quote:
Dislikes :
- High beam throw isn’t positioned well
- Engine feels like its losing breath after 30km/h.
- Closing the boot is annoying – Needs to be pressed at a particular spot.
- No manual option to switch to Power mode
- Putting the side stand automatically turns the vehicle off, which was annoying when I wanted to take a picture with the lights on .
- Get it adjusted from the ASC unless that's how the throw is.
- Get it checked too, I did a test ride once but didn't notice it. I could've missed it as I was accelerating and it was a very short ride.
- This should get solved with usage. My Access had developed it once but went away by itself. I think its due to the cable-tension of the locking mechanism.
- That's not how its supposed to work. Its just an indication of the state of the engine probably depending on the throttle position, not a drive-mode like there is in cars. Check the manual and if I am wrong please update here as well.
- That's a safety feature to prevent people from riding off with their side stands deployed and then catching onto some obstacle and crashing. I first noticed it on the original Pulsars back in 2001

Quote:
The showroom officials need to be better informed, the SA adamantly refused that the Jupiter ever had a provision for a boot lamp
They usually aren't and across vehicle types and manufacturers. During my test ride the SE riding pillion didn't know that all Jupiters and iQube had adjustable rear suspension. When I showed him how its done he said that no-one told him about it. Hopefully he is now informing other SEs and customers.
I would suggest you to try that out too. makes a significant difference in solo and pillion riding and can be operated by hand through a clicker.
In hindsight TVS should've hyped it more IMO.

Do keep us posted on the updates as well.

PS : That's a very neatly integrated reflector on the grabrail, the most ideal positioning. This is the attention to the smallest details from TVS that deserves applause. Its a very small effort but someone had to think about it, get it designed and implemented. Like those effective DRLs on the XL100 or the aluminium levers on the RTR180 in 2010.

Last edited by shancz : 17th October 2023 at 21:45. Reason: adding ps
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 07:25   #10
BHPian

Very well written review. I bought a honda Dio 125 last month, and you've inspired me to write a similar review for it. I went to the showroom to book an Activa 125, and drove out two hours later with a Dio 125. Its been about a month of ownership, and I'm very happy with the purchase. Any reason why you didn't consider the Honda Activa or Dio?
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 10:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I am...Activa or Access offer as features...TVS has shifted the petrol tank...This huge lockable space is quite an asset too
The fuel tank shift is a big move {although I heard from local mechanics that the fuel tank is leaky & dents. I will personally consider their verdict no more than 20% as the sales numbers says otherwise}. Plus its very beautifully crafted, the only scooter that has 12X12 wheels & gas filled adjustable rear suspension, 33 liters underseat storage, near square engine that no other scooter has {other examples of square engines being Karizma & R15}. Unfortunately it has lowest BHP per tonne in the segment but second highest torque per tonne in the segment {good for carrying loads} & very good GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As regards Amitabh Bachchan, I am not sure why he recommends such products that he doesn't and also cannot use...TVS can save a lot if it avoids such star endorsements and pass on the benefits to customers.
Agree with you more than 100%
Only a few research the functionality of any product, the masses usually fall for the principle of Source Credibility & the film stars also gets paid up
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 13:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Great review and wishing your parents a safe riding ahead!
PS:I always wanted to get the hero street for its convenience of cyclic gears, unfortunately hero stopped selling it. How has the experience with this been?
Thank you . The Street isn't used regularly as its Fitness certificate + insurance is yet to be renewed. Hope to get it done soon. It is just taken out once in a while so that it can stretch its legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm more interested in knowing the real world FE & servicing cost, hopefully we get to know this from your long term ownership review. Thanks for sharing
Will definitely Update, Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
That's a very well put write-up. Looking forward to more from you and especially after you get your license

- Get it adjusted from the ASC unless that's how the throw is.
- Get it checked too, I did a test ride once but didn't notice it. I could've missed it as I was accelerating and it was a very short ride.
- This should get solved with usage. My Access had developed it once but went away by itself. I think its due to the cable-tension of the locking mechanism.
- That's not how its supposed to work. Its just an indication of the state of the engine probably depending on the throttle position, not a drive-mode like there is in cars. Check the manual and if I am wrong please update here as well.
- That's a safety feature to prevent people from riding off with their side stands deployed and then catching onto some obstacle and crashing. I first noticed it on the original Pulsars back in 2001

PS : That's a very neatly integrated reflector on the grabrail, the most ideal positioning..
Thank you, will definitely update. You are right about the Power mode, I just wished it had a drive mode feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
Very well written review. Any reason why you didn't consider the Honda Activa or Dio?
Thank you. The primary reason was that we have an activa in our family circle whose braking doesn't really inspire confidence. Another aspect was something I had read on a Tbhp post, Activas getting stolen. The Dio's looks werent a hit with my parents and hence wasn't considered.
arnav17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 17:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

TVS Jupiter 125 Review-ssc.png
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 22:50   #14
BHPian

Update 1 - Touched 100km within a week . Filled up fuel only once. Will share the Fuelio logistics shortly.

Question : Within days of buying our scooter, a new edition of the Jupiter 125 called SmartXConnect with features like digi speedo, a colour display on the left. It also gets BT connectivity + viewing cricket scores on the screen.

It also gets an option for a hazard light and follow me home headlamps. Is it possible to get this installed without breaking warranty/insurance? Please do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
PS : That's a very neatly integrated reflector on the grabrail, the most ideal positioning.
Seems to have changed with the SmartXConnect. Not sure if its an accessory.

Name:  j125.png
Views: 1408
Size:  171.4 KB

Last edited by arnav17 : 20th October 2023 at 22:56. Reason: Added quote
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 19:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Is it possible to get this installed without breaking warranty/insurance?
- Seems to have changed with the SmartXConnect. Not sure if its an accessory.
- I don't think so unless the screens are the same. Check with the ASC but I highly doubt it.
If it can be installed at the ASC it shouldn't void the warranty, don't think the insurance cares about it as their liability is limited to the IDV.
- I prefer the one on yours, the backrest on this one seems like a clip on accessory.

Last edited by shancz : 31st October 2023 at 19:18. Reason: acc
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks