Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 15:51   #1

Navigating an adventure dilemma : Choosing the right bike

After some months of contemplation, I find myself faced with a dilemma: choosing between the KTM Adventure 390 X, KTM Adventure 390 Standard, and a pre-owned Kawasaki Versys 650. Currently, I ride an Interceptor, and a recent trip with my partner on my brother's GS310 left a lasting impression on me, particularly in terms of comfort and handling. Although I found the power to be lacking, this experience rekindled my interest in adventure touring.

Let's break down my considerations and confusions:

KTM 390 Adventure X:
I've test-driven the 390 Adventure SW variant both solo and with a pillion. While pillion comfort wasn't as good as the GS310, it was better than the Interceptor. I noticed some vibrations at high revs. The punchy engine and off-road capabilities left me smiling. However, I'm concerned about its highway performance when riding with a pillion and luggage. Will I find it lacking in power for overtakes at highway speeds? I rarely exceeded 110 kmph on my Interceptor, but I appreciated its power for quick overtakes. I'm also a bit worried about the vibrations, but I wear gloves and boots, so I assume I can manage. I'm also skeptical about the MRF tires after test-driving with Metzlers.

KTM 390 Adventure Standard:
This variant is quite similar to the X, but without a few electronics and a quickshifter, which I've been told I won't miss. I'm considering this option mainly because of the MRF tires on the Adventure X, as well as the electronics. Coming from the Interceptor, I think I can forgo the TFT and electronics, but I'm inclined to switch to Metzler tires.

Pre-owned Versys 650:
The Versys 650 is in a league of its own, and I have limited experience with it. The reason I'm considering it alongside the 390 Adventure is due to the possibility of finding a five-year-old Versys with around 30,000 km on the odometer, complete with accessories, for a ballpark price of 5 lakhs.

In short, I need to decide whether to go for the KTM Adventure 390 X, which is more budget-friendly and offers the assurance of a new bike with lower maintenance costs but may compromise on highway experience and comfort. Alternatively, I could opt for the Versys 650 at a similar price point, but this would likely involve purchasing a second-owner bike with slightly higher mileage.
Shankar.R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 17:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Navigating an adventure dilemma : Choosing the right bike

If you want to have a LOT of fun, on a motorcycle which feels light, and which will not pinch your wallet should you crash it or some parts just fail; the KTM 390 ADV is the best pick.

I am using it since the first lot rolled out, and still ride it with a wide smile and full throttle.
Not even once has an oil seal leaked, even though I try to get some airtime over every large speed bump.

Any iteration of the KTM 390 ADV would be my recommendation.

But looking at the current launch timeline of other produces, I would insist you hold on for a month or two.

Take an extended test ride of the Triumph Scrambler 400 X & also the upcoming RE Himalayan with the liquid-cooled motor. All of these options have a different character, so you decide which suits your riding style best. The KTM 390 is not for everyone, the engine loves to be revved, and if you like a sedate riding style, this would be quite a task to live with.

Coming to your used Versys 650 point, I would skip it unless you get a really good deal for it. What you can do with the above single cylinder motorcycles, you wouldn't with the Versys. Also, the Kawasaki maintenance is known to be an expensive affair at authorised workshops. On a personal note, I find all versions of the Versys ugly looking.

If you do a Mumbai to Goa run on a KTM 390 ADV & Versys 650, I doubt you would leave the KTM behind on a Kawasaki. Of course the twin-cylinder refinement will be missed, but how much extra money would you pay just for that?

Last edited by parrys : 11th October 2023 at 17:13.
parrys is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 18:25   #3
BHPian

I suggest either waiting a few weeks for the new Himalayan 450 or increasing your budget a little and getting a ~3 year old Versys 650 (I've seen several of them up for sale recently).

The Adv 390 is good but vibey and towards the end of it's leg with the current engine. KTM will probably launch the Adv 390 with the new engine in 2024 and getting the current version late in 2023 may lead to buyers remorse soon
Proxima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 22:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
All of these options have a different character, so you decidThe KTM 390 is not for everyone, the engine loves to be revved, and if you like a sedate riding style, this would be quite a task to live with.
I thought I wouldn't like a high revving engine. But i loved the character of engine.

Thank you so much for your inputs. This will definitely help me go through the process with much clarity.
Shankar.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 11:00   #5
BHPian

If you are considering KTM 390 Adv, I would suggest you to wait till 2024 if possible. I expect the 2024 KTM 390 to be much more sorted bike considering how good the latest Duke 390 is.

Himalayan 452 is a better alternative if you are not into the KTM riding dynamics.
where_to_next is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 14:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_next View Post
If you are considering KTM 390 Adv, I would suggest you to wait till 2024 if possible. I expect the 2024 KTM 390 to be much more sorted bike considering how good the latest Duke 390 is.
The internet, read shumi and others, speculates the launch of next gen Adv 390 to be in 2025. Even the KTM showroom says 2025.
Old 14th October 2023, 17:51   #7
BHPian

As someone who has ridden 390 engine-based motorcycles and done long tours with one that I owned, and now rides a Versys 650, I would strongly advice going for the Versys if at all possible.

Vibrations are fatiguing like nothing else, not to mention long term exposure is bad for many facets of your body. They are present all through the rev range, at different intensity and frequency. While the sensitivity to vibration varies from person to person, it’s still something that effects the ride quality and enjoyment on a trip. And since you are coming from an Interceptor, which has a pretty smooth and buzz-free engine, you will probably dislike it more, something that might not become apparent on relatively shorter rides.

The vibrations feel tolerable for a little while, nothing major for an hour or so, but once the bike heats up, the ride time becomes longer, it starts adding up. Your hands will start going numb and tingling, and the fatigue will spread up into the arms and then shoulders and back as you ride for longer and longer. The end of a long ride will leave you exhausted and feeling like you are still buzzing :P. Gloves, boots, Grip Puppies etc. do nothing substantial.

This, more than anything else, is the reason that I switched to Versys. The same route, about 5-6 hours riding in the mountains, that would leave me exhausted before, now barely has me feeling tired. The bike is really smooth, with very minor buzz at certain small RPM windows. There is a minor overall harshness from 4 to 4.5K, then completely smooth, then a buzz in the seat at a little above 6K to 7K RPM (the handlebars and footpegs are vibe free). And the Versys does 100kmph at just under 5K and 120kmph at just under 6K RPM.

There are ancillary advantages too. The 390 engine is notoriously lacking in low-end torque, which isn’t much of a problem riding on the highways, but if you are intending to ride in the mountain/twisties, the that lack really comes across. Whereas the Versys can pull from a low speed in higher gears, and still go to quite high revs, meaning constant gear changes that are a hallmark of 390 riding isn’t needed.

And since I have gotten the Versys, I find myself riding more sedately in general. I guess there is so much torque available so quickly that I don’t need to keep pushing the bike just to keep the RPM up in the powerband. I now reserve spirited riding for the twisties.
ExOblivione is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 18:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankar.R View Post
The internet, read shumi and others, speculates the launch of next gen Adv 390 to be in 2025. Even the KTM showroom says 2025.
I assume this may come in September 2024. Just like they call the new Duke as 2024 Duke, the next-gen 390 adv might be launched in 2024 but will be announced as the 2025 model. Hoping so
SanthoshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 19:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExOblivione View Post
And since I have gotten the Versys, I find myself riding more sedately in general. I guess there is so much torque available so quickly that I don’t need to keep pushing the bike just to keep the RPM up in the powerband. I now reserve spirited riding for the twisties.
I myself am in a similar situation of needing to upgrade to a good adventure bike. I’m currently riding a hunter 350, that’s really great at a lot of things. But highway speeds and quick overtakes north of 90kmph are a little tough.

Having had the opportunity of riding both the 390adv and the versys 650 for back to back road trips, I can agree with the statements made by ExOblivione.
The refinement of the Kawasaki, the added power and more relaxed power delivery of the versys, allows for more sedate riding while leveraging the better torque available. Like others have mentioned, maintenance costs are going to be much higher, but you do get a big bike for your money.

The 390adv is packed with features, and is more than capable of fast highway touring for two-up riding with luggage. If you do choose the ktm, I’d suggest the standard version as the electronics package will definitely be helpful. I was spoilt by the QS on the 390adv. A few months into your ownership, you could also look at swapping out the stock suspension for the adjustable units to further fine tune your ride.
kaushalswarup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 20:06   #10
BHPian

If your intention is long rides take the Versys. Yesterday I rode 740 km from Attingal-Nagercoil-Bangalore in an ER6n which itself is not near as good as versys. Started at 4.45am reached home in Bangalore at 1pm with 3 petrol and 1 breakfast stops. You can ride steady north of 100 through out with absolutely no muscle sore in multicylinder bikes. Vibrations are not there even in a 2016 bikes. Newer ones are lot better. Even the seats in Kawasaki is better according to me. I am 43 year old 100kg absolutely non athletic guy and I have no back ache or tired after the ride. Took my girls out after the ride.

Maintenance in these bikes are very less comparitively and they are cheap if you are ready to do it on your own. Since used bikes are generally out of warranty you can do the general oil change and minor stuff yourself. Take it to service center for stuff you cannot do on your own.

But if you have a lot of city riding forget the versys and buy ktm.
subincb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 20:33   #11
BHPian

Hello Shankar.R,

Since you have ridden KTM 390 ADV and you are considering it means you have no issue with the saddle height. I am 5.10 and I was not flat foot / that much comfortable when I had ridden it in one of the KTM events. I ride a 2018 Himalayan for your reference.

Also you need to decide how you will be using the bike- the city and highway riding splits. City rides- go for KTM accepting its flaws on highways if compared with Versys 650.

As some have already suggested and if you are not in a hurry; it will be a good decision to wait and check out the new Himalayan 450 as it is a very much awaited product from RE since long. Since the power figures are tightly close to KTM 390 and if you like it; it might save some of your hard earned money also.

Versys 650 is no doubt a good bike to much miles in a day than a KTM or a Himalayan.

Calculate the yearly costs between all the choices you have to make accurate decision. Most importantly- prefer a bike which you feel more connected with.

Keep updating.

Cheers
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 04:54   #12
BHPian

I’d say that you have three good options which all come with their pros and cons.

1. KTM 390 ADV

It’s a solid package from what I’ve heard from many reviewers and my circle of biker friends. If you are interested in it I’d say wait for the updated version. It should get fully adjustable suspension and the new Duke 390 engine which solves lower end power issues as well. I’d suggest get the standard variant with all the electronics, it makes up for a more comfortable and safe ride at the end of the day.

2.RE Himalayan 450

Initial impressions say that it’s an advanced bike which takes care of all the shortcomings of the previous generation and adds a lot of touring friendly kit as well like a monoshock at the rear, a console with th best google maps integration I’ve seen on this side of money and tubeless spoked wheels.

3. Kawasaki Versys 650

If you get a pre-worshipped bike with no major ailments and if you’re ok with slightly higher costs of maintenance I think this will be the best bike for you as it will feel like an upgrade thanks to higher power figures and it is a capable tourer at the end of the day. A twin cylinder is a twin cylinder, I don’t need to tell you what that means since you own an Interceptor.

Kudos and safe riding muchachos.
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 21:48   #13
BHPian

The Versys is a tourer at best. I would not consider it if some light trail riding is in the picture. Its the best motor in the bunch though. Very few can match the parallel twin and its quite bulletproof. Its also heavy.
The KTM is for the fast paced dirt rider. Capable beast but with the issues of stalling in low RPMs and some KTM reliability is not for everyone. It has the best kit for the money though. Few others match the packaging on offer. I’d wait for the 2024 model to see if the issues are ironed out like on the 390 Duke.
I’d also wait on the 452 Himalayan vs. the current gen. Having a 6 speed gearbox and a liquid cooled motor should easily be better than the current air cooled model.
Old 16th October 2023, 21:53   #14
BHPian

Anyday a twin over a single cylinder if long distances - the Versys as you intend to tour on this. I rode a Versys on a ride with a group and the difference was immense. The Himalayan 411 is underpowered and the 450 will take atleast a year for the niggles if any to settle down. The 390 is a great bike but the vibration will tire you out for sure, I face the same issue on my Himalayan and anything beyond 100 kmph is enduring the vibes and crappy fuel economy - also, the seats on both are not as great as the Versys and narrow, will get uncomfortable after 500 km even with touring seat or after market options.
Old 17th October 2023, 09:32   #15
BHPian

I am in exact same situation as you. Currently I am leaning towards Adventure X variant of the KTM ADV. I plan to upgrade the tires and suspension after riding it for 6 months or so.

My current bike is a Ninja 300 and am really used to the butter smooth twin cylinder engine. Nothing beats this on smooth tarmac but alas in our country continuous good roads are hard to find outside of the boring national highways.

Triumph 400, I find it too small and I don't think 400x would be that much larger. Anyways it should in the showroom before this month end to check out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks