Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 11:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400X could be launched around mid-October

Continuing on the topic of "if a scrambler version of a road focused bike makes sense?"

And my answer is "very much yes!!"
A scrambler variant of a motorcycle makes it much more versatile. Small but subtle changes make large difference over time and terrain. We use to buy a motorcycle and make small modifications to make it more comfortable and capable to handle different situations and now we are getting those variants from the manufacturer itself. That is super welcome.

Larger front wheel makes a good amount of difference on how the bike rolls over varied terrain. I know riders who do not want to downgrade to anything less, once used to 21" front wheel. Its that addictive.

Taller handle bars combined with appropriately placed foot peg position to aid standing and riding is a boon for our roads of lack of it. Upright posture makes spending time on saddle over longer hours comfortable. Any added ground clearance is good to have. Suspension and its travel is another big big point, greatly affecting the ride quality on variety of roads and trails.

So these small changes sums up to make big overall differences.
But there is no Perfect "Do it all" motorcycle. a scrambler variant of a road bike may loose some on the sharper handling which comes better with smaller wheels, lower GC and CG.

Giving a personal example, i had bought an Interceptor 650 in 2019 and found its usage very limited. Its a good bike as long as roads are good. India is not about only good roads and take that bike anywhere else, even commuting in city like Bangalore, the shortfalls are very evident. The suspension is the weakest link. Ergonomics are flawed. So much so that i use to feel not-so-drawn towards riding the interceptor, in spite of it having a gem of an engine and gear box.
So i started making subtle changes to the bike, which broadly aligns towards "Scramblizing" it. Over time, front suspension was changes to increase suspension travel with harder progressive springs, added spacer and a preload adjuster. Front end was raise at triple tree, taller profile types were added. All that helped raise the front end ground clearance. Rear suspension was changed, and so was riding geometry with lowered footpeg and taller and wider handlebar. seat was modified, weight was reduced by using lighter aftermarket pipes. Tyres were converted to tubeless type. Now i feel the bike is much more versatile and inviting and have ridden is all around including trails and some offroads as well.

Most of these days, i feel like taking the interceptor out (even to commute in Bangalore), inspite of a 310GS and an Xpulse standing near by as other options. That sums up from my side. Sharing a pic of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400X could be launched around mid-October-01-02.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 12:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
That sums up from my side. Sharing a pic of the bike.
Thank you for the comparison, it really helps people like me who've done very basic off-roading and are looking at scramblers in a one-bike garage. Your build reminds me a lot of Sagar Sheldekar's scrambler build of the Interceptor 650.

AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 14:39   #33

In my opinion a Tiger 400 would be much costlier, not tarmac friendly, heavier, and not be so likeable by the family members of the people who would buy it. Mostly here we also have to get the nod of our wife (importantly)/mother/father and so on before buying a bike. India now has a very huge market for around 3 lakhs on road price bike which can also go with family, and can also do mild off road, in addition to daily work commute. People now have big dreams and even if they can't fulfil it now they will always keep in their hearts that 'OK not today but some day.. Ladakh I will come' and this is precisely the point on which Triumph has played a calculated gamble.

Everyone cannot buy Tiger or so, but many many want to be a rider nowadays. The condition of roads at farthest places a getting better than what they were couple of decades back, so a not so focused off roader would also do the work. Besides the road condition of city roads are also not very good in tier two/three cities. People also want their bike to be a bit different.

Many wear dive watch, but how many of them have gone to diving! It is nothing but the feel good affect your possession gives you. Just my two cents.
pskanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 14:40   #34
BHPian

Went to the Triumph showroom in Pune today hoping to see the scrambler and boy 'oh boy I was amazed.

The bike is now available to look and feel (no test drives though) at Triumph Pune showroom and it looks every bit amazing in person.
There are several things that set it apart from Speed 400 and all the accessories which are standard on Scram looks like a necessity than add-on.

My brother was looking for a bike and he was itching to get home one of the Triumph twin. Now since the wait for scrambler was long...the itch was getting worse with time and many a times it felt right to get the Speed 400, its a beauty in its own. But thankfully he did wait!

- Yes the seating is higher but not by a lot...He is 5'8" and it was alright for him
- The handle bar is wide
- Larger front tyre means you are seated upright, which is good
- The Matt green color is gorgeous
- Twin exhaust adds thats scrambler character
- Overall the engine with chassis blends nicely and looks apt on this one

Here is him on the bike
Triumph Scrambler 400X could be launched around mid-October-whatsapp-image-20231016-2.02.00-pm.jpeg
shishir333 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 16:32   #35
BHPian

I've started watching Speed 400 ride videos on the YouTube channel Travel & Bite by Youtuber Manish Luthra. He went all the way to Ladakh on the bike, and his travails in the most extreme parts of that journey suggest that the Scrambler 400X would have suited him much better for the trip.

Actually even the tyres on the Scrambler would serve the Speed 400 well in rough terrain. Once Scrambler ride reviews are out, we'll get to know how these AT tyres handle the roads and curves.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 20:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
- Yes the seating is higher but not by a lot...He is 5'8" and it was alright for him
- The handle bar is wide
- Larger front tyre means you are seated upright, which is good
- The Matt green color is gorgeous
- Twin exhaust adds thats scrambler character
- Overall the engine with chassis blends nicely and looks apt on this one

Here is him on the bike
Oh wow that's wonderful!! Khivraj is still waiting for "the launch" in Bangalore apparently so gotta be a little more patient.

How was the weight for him ? I'm 5'11 and if he's tiptoes I assume I would be semi-flat foot.

Also did they mention any date of delivery ?

Mod Note: Our Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2023 at 10:12. Reason: Link to review added
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks