Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 11:04   #1
BHPian

PPF or Ceramic Coating for my motorcycle?

Hello All,

I have recently booked Royal Enfield Classic 350 Stealth black. Can you please advice if PPF is a good option or ceramic coating? I am hearing mixed reviews for both. For PPF some are saying the glue might damage the paint and every year the PPF needs to be changed. I am not sure of the drawbacks of Ceramic coating. Can you please advise the best option?
Old 21st September 2023, 11:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: PPF or Ceramic Coating for my motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_Diesel View Post
Can you please advice if PPF is a good option or ceramic coating? I am hearing mixed reviews for both. For PPF some are saying the glue might damage the paint and every year the PPF needs to be changed. I am not sure of the drawbacks of Ceramic coating. Can you please advise the best option?
PPF: Is very good, helps to keep the vehicle wrapped & protects from most of the dust, scratches, heat & paint fade. Problem is the PPF itself is vunerable & becomes dull in few years. However, the paint is still protected & one has to opt for wrapping with PPF again.

Ceramic Coating: Less said better, here's a whole lot of pros & cons. At a very quick glance one might misinterpret ceramic coating prevents the vehicle from fire accidents

Personal: Having experienced both, I would simply say, it's not worth doing either of them. Just keep the motorcycle as much clean as possible & get it detailed once a year or so depending on the locality you live. This is the most economical in terms of both money, time & energy.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2023 at 18:05. Reason: Edited
aargee is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: PPF or Ceramic Coating for my motorcycle?

+1 to Aargee. PPF & Ceramic Coating are expensive and come with their own headaches.

I park my cars nicely, drive my cars well, use a body cover, keep them clean, get them detailed twice a year and generally follow the best practices of this thread (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).

My cars are always in top shape, regardless of their age. They look & feel fantastic.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 17:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
However the pain is still protected
Yeah, it's the pain that needs protection; paint can be applied again anyway.
Continuing on the typo, there should be EPF(Ego Protection Film) as well. It would protect the 2-wheeler rider in case of road rage incident.

Quote:
Problem is the PPF itself is vulnerable & becomes dull in few years.
PPF needs protection as well.

Getting back on to topic, good detailing session on a Sunday afternoon is always good. In previous decade, it was Collinite 845 wax that was preferred choice.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please advise the best option?
Depends on your intention & below comment is specific to RE 350 (considering the body panel replacement cost, in worst case scenario)

If the intention is to make Instagram reels / snaps with
1) water beading or hydrophobic nature - get the ceramic coating done
2) Scratch test reels - Get PPF-ed

If your intention is to preserve the body panels from minor scratches & paint fading, follow the couple of previous posts (Maintain the bike, get paint correction / detailing once or twice a year.
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 09:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please advise the best option?
I would suggest you to do PPF on the tank. If you are planning to use magnetic or normal tank bags PPF will protect from the scratches. And for rest of the body parts you have to analyze the cost of each panels v/s cost for doing PPF on each panels. If the panels are cheap to replace in case of scratches or color fading then better replace them. Doing PPF wont be very cost effective in this case. May be you can do ceramic coating on the rest of the body parts. This will be much cost effective. As BHPians mentioned above, Ceramic wont give you the scratch protection as PPF do. But it will give a nice shiny layer over the paint and gives a glossy look to the bike. Also it is hydrophobic and would be easy to clean as well. I did PPF on tank and ceramic on the rest of the body on my Ninja 300 recently. And the feedback is so far very good. Bike is very easy to clean now. Dirt wont stick that strong on the panels now.

If you are planning to do. First discuss with the shop representative about the cost, process and materials used. Give your own research about the materials used. Because there are cheaper PPF which wont last. And also be skeptical about the process. If the shop agree to complete the process by 1 or 2 days dont give your bike to them. 3 or 4 days process is the way to go.
WalterWhite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I have recently booked Royal Enfield Classic 350 Stealth black. Can you please advice if PPF is a good option or ceramic coating?
Neither.

You have booked stealth black colour which has a matte finish. Matte retains its beauty when maintained well with regular cleaning which can be done on a weekly basis.

If you go for PPF then you would need to go for a matte PPF. Moreover detailers will claim that they can fit it perfectly but classic 350 is quite curvy and there are lots of contours which will make the whole fit not perfect.
If you go for ceramic you might loose out on matte properties of your bike’s paint. Even if you find something you will have to put in a lot of effort to maintain it.

Therefore, regular weekend wash and a light clean with a dry cloth everyday before you ride will work wonders. I can say this with confidence because I owned a classic 350 with stealth black colour
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I have recently booked Royal Enfield Classic 350 Stealth black. Can you please advice if PPF is a good option or ceramic coating? I am hearing mixed reviews for both. For PPF some are saying the glue might damage the paint and every year the PPF needs to be changed. I am not sure of the drawbacks of Ceramic coating. Can you please advise the best option?
PPF is a strict No according to me. My Interceptor and my Brother's TB350X were wrapped with 3M PPF. After 3 years the film is peeling mainly due to curvy fuel tanks. All REs have curvy fuel tanks except Hunter, Scram and Himalayan.
No problems with quality though. I still dont see Orange effect
dsuman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 12:47   #9

I have purchased a Triumph Speed 400 and will be delivered to me by 15th Oct. The sales guy in Thane was pushing me for buying a PPF from Garware for 11,000. It was a 180 micron film with 3 years of warranty.

I flat out refused to buy it. There were 2 reasons to it.

1. Had recently watched a podcast on MotorInc where Shumi has been telling people to not go for such coatings immediately.

2. On a personal note, it feels that 11K might be a but on the higher side.

I'm open to adding a PPF coat to my bike if need be, but can you suggest if it needs to be done ASAP or can it wait a bit? May be till the first servicing or something like that?
Old 25th September 2023, 14:57   #10
BHPian

I recommend PPF for high/ repeated contact areas like the top of the tank, i have done this and so far absolutely no issues with the 3m PPF
Old 26th September 2023, 11:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I park my cars nicely, drive my cars well, use a body cover, keep them clean, get them detailed twice a year and generally follow the best practices of this thread (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).
I went through this thread, and it was a fantastic read. Lots of information for a newbie car owner such as myself.

Just one question though: I've heard that using a car cover can promote humidity which can lead to accelerated rusting of components. Also rats like cars under a cover better. Any truth to this?

I'm currently do not use one and dusting the Bengaluru dust of my car every day is starting to be tiresome.
Old 26th September 2023, 12:07   #12
BHPian

I have started using a magnetic tank bag (Viaterra Oxus) on my Triumph Speed 400. The bag has a soft textured bottom to help protect the paint.

Supply of essential accessories like tank pads (and panniers for mounting side bags) hasn't started from Triumph yet. In their absence, is it advisable to get PPF or ceramic coating done on the tank to protect the paint while using the tank bag? I'm only going to use it twice a week, for comparatively short rides of 15-30km to carry a box of snacks and essentials.
Old 5th October 2023, 01:14   #13
BHPian

Neither.
Just purchase a vinyl wrap sheet and decorate the tank as you like or at least apply where the tank is vurnarable to scratch. Should not cost more than ₹300.

I have done the same to my RE INT 650 orange crush, it has an orange colour tank, purchased a white carbon fibre texture vinyl sheet, made two strips and applied it on to the tank. It look gorgeous. Here is the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
PPF or Ceramic Coating for my motorcycle?-img_20231005_005905.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks