Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 21:31   #361
BHPian

Re: 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Hi readers, I am the proud owner of a 2024 Duke 390 in blue color. It's been a good last 3 months on it and I'm averaging roughly 250KM a week (3300KM so far). There is just one variant of the bike, available in either blue or glaring orange.

Background: I owned 3 bikes before this (Suzuki Shogun, Pulsar 180, Dominar 400). Dominar was my last motorcycle and unfortunately it drowned in the floods that happened in Chennai in Dec. 2023. The repair bills came out to 1lakh+ and I wasn't convinced I would get a niggle free experience post that. After much thought I decided to scrap it and get a new one. I had a tough time convincing the insurance guys to accept it as a total loss but finally succeeded.

My Past Bikes:
I was looking for something in the same category as the Dominar. I know most 'expert' reviewers don't really like it. But I loved it! in 2019, it really was the best rupee/bhp in India! I got used to its heavy and bulky nature, its feel of stability for highway cruising, and even managed to be adept at slicing through traffic during rush hour! My green love
How tall are you? Please give me full comparison with your erstwhile D400 - pls ignore the features, looks, mileage, colors. I am more interested in the ride, handling, comfort (both city and touring/long rides), suspension, heat management, gearing, weight management, pillion experience, reliability, service experience, maintenance and the value and cost of ownership.
Old 17th July 2024, 01:03   #362

Hello, this is my first post here , in March 2024 I bought my first bike, KTM Duke 390.

The Golden Ticket
I started riding bikes when I was 16 or 17 on our Yamaha FZ in my home. Riding Bikes is not something I found exciting back then. To me it's just a thing that gets me from A - > B. Then my folks at home bought a KTM Duke 200 (2012, it had its issues in the beginning if I recall correctly but it's still going strong and its entirely trouble free now). I mostly ridden it around my small town because it was scary for me at that time. I mostly stayed away from that one. Then in 2021, something clicked on one particular ride I did. we were getting our Duke serviced in a nearby city. I was getting our Duke there to my home which is nearly 70km away. I properly rode that Duke for the first time, hitting red line whenever I chose to, and I was going pretty fast. That KTM waved me the Golden Ticket to motorcycles.

The Dream
I just started to earn at that point as well, then a dream emerged in me about getting a KTM 390 as my first motorcycle and I started to save bank for it. In Bengaluru, on my daily walk to my office I would get past a KTM showroom, I never missed a chance to ogle at those Gen 2 390s standing there. After 2 years of savings for it, to my surprise I heard the news about new generation of 390 is going to launch by the end of 2023. I started a wait and gather information as much as I could, I loved the initial pictures of it. To me Gen 2 Dukes are such a sharp neat design, I didn't like the new ones from all angles but in some angles, it looked great for me. I read the reviews of it everyone was having very strong appreciation for it. I was super excited.

Getting Aboard
I considered other options first before trying the 390. So first I bought myself a helmet (MT Thunder4) and Korda riding gloves. I started visiting showrooms on weekends, and I rented all of it at least for a day. My options were something within 50 bhp. I needed something with an upright position, so sport bikes are out mainly because I'm not used to it.

1. Interceptor 650 - Amaazzzzzinngg Sound, Looks aboslutely gorgeous. something told me i would get bored of it lot faster like i did with Honda CB350 we have in our home. I may get one once I get older.

2. Triumph Speed 400 - would win the beauty pageant, pretty fast. I really liked it, but I could not connect with the engine at all. the sound is very neutral and it's not exciting. It feels like a commuter that does the A -> B job very fast and very well. My mind did say get it, but it feels like an arranged marriage. not for me.

3. Himalayan 450 - To my surprise, I came very close to booking this one. I liked the high seating position, how big the bike feels in the flesh, how nimble it felt even though it has those 21-inch wheels. I was grinning every time inside my helmet whenever I see a bad road while I ride this one. interesting

Finally, I test rode the Duke 390. I took a very short ride. I was on 3rd gear the bike stared to pull and it was super thrilling to arrive at that red line. And i was giggling like an idiot inside that helmet. I immediately went to the showroom and booked the bike. Then afterwards I visited another showroom to test ride it again. Then that night I rented the bike for a day and went for 250km ride next morning. I just could not stop riding it Yeap the 390 Handed me that Golden Ticket and said go nuts.

My bike got delivered in 2 weeks' time after the booking. I'm having a blast of time with my 390. After 4 months and 5000~ km, I did get used to the design and keeping up with the performance & handling, yet it feels like there is lot to learn from it. it's such a laugh every ride, whether it's to the twisties surrounding Bengaluru or going in a highway for 70km for my usual Sunday breakfast. I also did a trip to my hometown from Bengaluru, which is 500km away, and it was surprisingly comfortable (butt gets numb for every 200km though ). Now I can't think of travelling by any other means .

Ok some pictures,

Yep i did get that 820mm seat recently, its lot more comfortable than the standard one for someone like me ( 6ft tall ).
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240707_104613_748.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240317_223754_264.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240402_223415.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240402_223427.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240701_0920112.jpg

Took this on a recent trip to yercaud with my dukie
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20240707_0934404.jpg
psysu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 17:29   #363

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, this is my first post! I would like to share my views about the new Duke with fellow members.

My journey as a petrolhead so far:

Learnt riding on my dad's Ind-Suzuki, my 1st bike was the FZ16, also owned and enjoyed riding the Suzuki Shogun, Shaolin, RX135, gen 2 Duke 390 (2017 model) and gen 3 Duke 390.

Pros:

1: Metallic blue color feels subtle and stealth one wouldn't notice it as KTM unless they know the bike; feels good to avoid unwanted attention

2: good low-end torque just releasing the clutch would move the bike; no stalling issues like previous generation and butter smooth engine, linear power delivery throughout rev range

3: Instrument cluster is very premium and informative, and visible even at day time; bluetooth is phenomenal, can change songs, attend calls without any hassle

4: Quickshifter doing wonders if engaged properly above 4k rpm, popping sound during upshift and downshift is bliss, Launch Control does the job well

5: Handling is topnotch, flickable and nimble like gen 1 R15. Suspension does an extraordinary job; on the softer side, we can tackle damaged roads and off road with ease, on the stiffer side, it helps to take high speed cornering without worries

6: vfm at this price point no other company provides a complete package like this

Cons:

1: Noise: You can hear constant clunky sound from the engine head, chain noise is just too loud and irritating. Exhaust note could have been better. Wearing a good helmet will muffle the above mentioned noise issue

2: Brakes: Sintered brake pad should be given from factory itself at this price point. Synthetic brake pads are not up to the mark. My bike ate through the front brake pad in 5k kms, changed the brake pads during second service

3: Fit and finish: I don't know why everyone is praising about the fit and finish of the new gen Duke. I personally felt it's a downgrade comparing to my 2017 Duke 390. There is a gap between the switch mount on both sides; water could seep in and cause malfunction. Seat cover is so cheap, there's a gap in stitching area, seat foam is visible. Panel gap is big on the tank shrouds

4: Plastics: cheap plastics are used for the mudguard, tank cap, key mount, DRL casing. Needs extra care if washed with water of high PH level, white water marks will form on plastic parts. Front mudguard is so short, that on rainy days, sand and stones fly and hit your hand and face

5: Swingarm: Ergonomically it is functional but it won't sit properly on paddock stand, need two persons to mount the bike on paddock stand. space to adjust chain tension is very minimal due to the curved design of swing arm: a slight push can make your bike fall from stand

6: Traction control: I felt loss of traction when TC is switched on; small stones on tarmac or loose soil cause wheel spin and slipping. TC can't be switched off permanently. Metzler tyre is also a disappointment, planning to use Michelin Road 5 or Timsun, used 2 pairs of Alpha H1 on previous Duke so planning on using other options

7: Fuel efficiency: Claimed FE is 24kmpl but I'm getting around 20. A full tank gives me 300km mileage and goes to reserve. I have tried E20 as recommend but it's the worst thing to do. I'm sticking to speed petrol so far. Fuel meter is not even showing approx value. If I full an empty tank, it will show full tank notification after completing 3 to 4 km ride

8: Tool kit: I was surprised that they gave extra tools in this gen Duke, then I noticed that the rear wheel bolt size is 24mm and the spanner they've given is 22mm. Asked the showroom about it and they said they'll raise a complaint regarding this but still no response. I got a 24mm spanner but it's huge and won't fit in the tools pouch

9: Headlight could have been better, Apache 310 has the best-in-segment headlight; horn sound is not adequate; mirror is the worst, could have given the international model mirror

All the above mentioned pros and cons are my personal opinion. Most of the cons can be rectified with minor alterations and add-ons. New gen Duke is definitely best two-wheeler out there, a very vfm product.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-20240509_0951140.jpg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-20240317_104738.jpg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-20240329_211150.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th July 2024 at 17:45. Reason: Grammar, typos and post formatting; kindly proof read your posts before submitting. Thanks!
39TN60 is offline   (10) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2024, 07:12   #364
BHPian

I am looking to add a 400cc to my garage and the Duke 390 is currently at the top of my wishlist.

Usage would be daily commute of around 60km with just 2kms of what could be termed as traffic. Rest will be narrow open country roads. The bike would see weekend rides on tarmac ending in mild trails(mud, loose travel and rocks). The bike would see at the max 2 annual tours of around 2-3k km.

I am 170cm and weigh around 63kg. The bike will be used occasionally with a pillion during commute as well as tours.

Other Street naked/roadster style bike being considered is the speed 400. The only advantage the speed 400 has over the 390 for me is the more tractability on offer in the lower rpms. Apart from that the Duke justifies the additional cost.

Just for the perceived flexibility of adv/scrambler style bikes, I had a look at them as well:

1. Current 390 adv std/x- found the engine on this to be less flexible than the current Duke. The suspension too felt more stiff compared to the 390. Although manageable, it might be a little tall during tricky slow speed maneuvers with a pillion in traffic and trails. Being considered because of the seat real-estate.

2. Himalayan- didn't like the top heavy feeling. Spoke wheels is a deal breaker for me. Loved the suspension, riding ergos and performance, although a little buzzy.

3. Scrambler 400x- same flexibility as the speed in terms of engine, although top end is no where close to the Duke. Loved the look and ergos. Feels like the most durable and premium product in the segment. I was on my tippy toes. Suspension is well judged.

So my query is whether the Duke 390 would make a good tourer with slightly trail biased tires(tramplrs, strs etc) or should I consider the adv/scrambler for my use? How significant is the additional 1.5-2 cm of ground clearance offered by the adv and scrambler? Similarly there's only a minor suspension travel difference between the adv while the scrambler offers identical figures. Will the 390 suspension and alloys be as durable as the adv and scrambler for mild off roading.
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:00   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I am looking to add a 400cc to my garage and the Duke 390 is currently at the top of my wishlist.

So my query is whether the Duke 390 would make a good tourer with slightly trail biased tires(tramplrs, strs etc) or should I consider the adv/scrambler for my use? How significant is the additional 1.5-2 cm of ground clearance offered by the adv and scrambler? Similarly there's only a minor suspension travel difference between the adv while the scrambler offers identical figures. Will the 390 suspension and alloys be as durable as the adv and scrambler for mild off roading.
Hey there. From my experience, the 390 can definitely do trails and some off-roading but it all boils down to your comfort level. Dialing down the suspension to the softest settings, switching to knobby rubbers, and installing handle bar risers would make it more capable. However, you would still be left with another problem -- standing on the pegs won't be easy because the bike could throw you forward.

Touring would be a relatively easy affair. You have plenty of power and good range due to the 15L tank. I'd watch out for the wind blasts though. That's probably the only major con for me. I can't talk about pillion comfort as I mostly ride solo on the Duke.

I also test rode every other bike from your list apart from the current gen 390 Adventure. I liked the Srambler 400x a lot. It has everything going for it -- the looks, suspension, comfort (pillion included), satisfying low end, and the VFM aspect. I came close to buying it. Alas, if only it were half as exciting as the Duke in the top end.

With that said, if were you and didn't need a bike immediately, I'd wait for the next gen 390 Adventure. It'd tick all your boxes.

Last edited by amyntor : 23rd July 2024 at 22:04.
amyntor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 18:55   #366
BHPian

Hi fellow members,
I am posting this European article which has pics of the upcoming LC8C Duke that can come to India
https://www.speedweek.com/katalog/ne...mit-Bajaj.html
(Apologies in advance if this is off topic)
Old 28th July 2024, 16:17   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressions After 1,500 kms with the Duke 390

During a recent monsoon ride to Chikmagalur with fellow TBHPians, my KTM Duke 390 finally crossed the 1,500 kilometer mark. This seems to be the right time to pen down a few observations on the motorcycle.

1. There is only one way to ride the KTM Duke 390 and that is suns out, guns out blazing fast. All. The. Time. Gentlemanly cruising or pottering around town is simply not possible with this motorcycle. Trust me, Ive tried and failed miserably.
2. The maturity in the suspension gives you so much confidence, especially as the action picks up and you are leaned over at triple digit speeds. Lets not forget you get adjustable suspension with the Duke 390. It is so easy to find the right setup, even for someone who has never worked with adjustable suspension in the past.
3. The mileage since day 1 stands at 23.24 kmpl. The best figure that I have got is 26.34 kmpl and the worst is 20.41 kmpl. I am told that filling up with Speed / XP 95 makes the ride experience a whole lot better.
4. The aftermarket TVS ProTorq Extreme tires provide excellent grip in the dry and wet. We were riding from Chikmagalur to Bangalore (often leaned over) at non forum friendly speeds on wet roads and the tires inspired an unshakable confidence that the stock tires simply cannot.
5. If your better half / family members / best friends are hardcore environmentalists, you should avoid buying the Duke 390. Unlike other motorcycles, you cannot switch the Duke 390 off at signals. Without the fan constantly running at traffic signals, the heat build up will quickly lead to the infamous Coolant temp. high warning on your dash. Leaving your motorcycle constantly running is terrible for the environment, I know, but great for heat management on the Duke 390.

Hopefully I can make enough time to write a proper review of this motorcycle is quite frankly, a better bike for superbikers to downgrade to, than for young / new enthusiasts to upgrade to.

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20240721_055850558.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 18:20   #368
Senior - BHPian

Re: Impressions After 1,500 kms with the Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
During a recent monsoon ride to Chikmagalur with fellow TBHPians, my KTM Duke 390 finally crossed the 1,500 kilometer mark. This seems to be the right time to pen down a few observations on the motorcycle.

1. There is only one way to ride the KTM Duke 390 and that is suns out, guns out blazing fast. All. The. Time. Gentlemanly cruising or pottering around town is simply not possible with this motorcycle. Trust me, Ive tried and failed miserably.
It makes you want to spank it! Absolutely right. There's no smooth, linear acceleration. She's just like an on off switch, either she shimmers in glory, or reels in gloom such is the powerband and that's where the essence of this motorcycle lies. That unscrupulous powerband, excellent chassis and sticker rubber means you need not as they colloquially say "hold your horses" you're free to unleash them with a really wide grin plastered.

Make no mistake, as they say bigger is better, but not always. Small is the new big these days!

Do pen your thoughts after a detailed analogy.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 18:41   #369
BHPian

When riding with a pillion, what are the luggage options on the gen 3 Duke 390? What sort of payloads can the currently available top racks handle? Do you guys prefer top boxes or tail bags mounted on the top rack? Which one would be more comfortable for the pillion who's small in stature.
Old 1st August 2024, 16:19   #370
BHPian

Quote:
When riding with a pillion, what are the luggage options on the gen 3 Duke 390? What sort of payloads can the currently available top racks handle? Do you guys prefer top boxes or tail bags mounted on the top rack? Which one would be more comfortable for the pillion who's small in stature.
Hi Kedar. I have the 2024 Duke 390. It is quite a small machine in terms of dimensions. With a pillion, it is a tight fit. To carry luggage, I would suggest that you try on some modular system for the tail rack, like the Dirtsack, Viaterra or even the Carbonado ones. This will help you keep the weight down, whilst also adjusting luggage based on your travel plans. The modular system helps to take more luggage if required, otherwise keeping the tail lighter than if you use a top box. You can add saddle bags with a saddle stay if the pillion is comfortable with it. If you want to still pursue the hard luggage route, you can fit plastic or fibre top boxes. I would advise against it, as the Duke does vibrate a lot and this would also make for a lesser aerodynamic bike through corners. It is a purely utility-based choice for you
Old 1st August 2024, 18:21   #371
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
I would suggest a tail rack and a duffel bag (with rain cover), and pack light. Keep the whole thing under 5 kilos and low and not protruding to the sides, and as close to the pillion's back as is possible and comfortable.

I am not a fan of side mounting saddlebags or hard cases, nor of rear tail boxes.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st August 2024 at 18:22.
Old 1st August 2024, 18:58   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
How tall are you? Please give me full comparison with your erstwhile D400 - pls ignore the features, looks, mileage, colors. I am more interested in the ride, handling, comfort (both city and touring/long rides), suspension, heat management, gearing, weight management, pillion experience, reliability, service experience, maintenance and the value and cost of ownership.
Hi bro, sorry for the late reply it totally slipped my mind. I am just 5"7'

Here's a quick point by point comparison with Dominar 400 2019 UG
Ride & Suspension: Both are good, but clearly the KTM suspension is more mature and feels high quality. It's built to last. I've taken the Dominar on long rides (300-500KM) and it feels pretty good but it's not built to last. I used to tiptoe on the Domi when it was new, then as the seat sank in I got used to it. No such problem on the Duke, it is very comfortable and confidence inspiring.

Handling: Ok so here both a very different. Dominar is significantly heavier, but over the years I learnt to slice through traffic on the Domi as good as any R15 out there, but you definitely cannot move this thing on a dime. When the bike was new I must have dropped it atleast 5 times trying to turn during u-turns Especially U-Turns are a pain. Highways are a joy. When I changed the tires to Michelin Street Pilot on the Domi I felt the handling improved in the corners a little bit. The Duke 390, they call it the scalpel I guess? You can carve the roads like an expert sculptor carves a beautiful statue out of rock. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I'm still using stock tires and I feel they are OK for dry-fine weather but suffer in the wet. Mud is dangerous territory.

Comfort: The Duke 390 is primarily a city bike and it's most comfortable here, although it can easily do triple digit speeds all day, it is so much lighter that wind gusts and large trucks can shake it easily. So I recommend Dominar on the highway for a comfortable journey and Duke in the city. The seats on the Dominar are also better if you're taking a pillion. The step seat on the Duke is not much liked by most pillion riders due to its step seat nature.

Heat Management: No issues on both for me. I think people complain too much over this issue. Come on guys, high compression ratio big single cylinder engines WILL GIVE OUT HEAT. Take it or leave it. I live in Chennai with unbearable day temperatures and I've gone out wearing just shorts and slippers and the sun heat was worse for me than the engine heat. To each his own I guess.

Value For Money: Dominar was sold as a value for money bike, and I guess the NS400 fills that role now. You get what you pay for, and I realized after 4.5 years of using it that clearly Bajaj built this to a cost. Almost everything was rusting (bolts, nuts, suspension spring etc.) and the suspension gave up after 3 years. Was it worth it? Not for me, I'd rather pay for higher quality that lasts but then again you might be different.
sleepy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 10:04   #373
BHPian

What's the best location to mount a pair of maddog scout x on the gen 3 Duke? Maddog has leg guard mount, a light bar with number plate bracket and fork mounts. Mototorque has this clamp solution.

Not sure about the clearances if going for a fork mounts or the mototorque clamp.
Old 4th August 2024, 17:44   #374
BHPian

Can someone share whats the rear suspension setting values given in the manual for gen 3 duke.
Old 4th August 2024, 18:19   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Can someone share whats the rear suspension setting values given in the manual for gen 3 duke.
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-recommendedsuspensionsettings2.jpg

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks