Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:10   #226
BHPian

Re: 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Why so many 2024 Duke 390s' are ending up on olx? These are brand new and less than 5k kms ridden, Why are the owners trying to sell it off? What might me the reason? How different is it from the Gen 2s?
I think it could have something to do with the youtube videos regarding oil leaking and engine seizing within day 1. I haven't verified anything, but the last I heard the accusations were pretty big. Oil leaks, engine seized in 90 kms, etc.

I don't think there can be other reasons. Financial miscalculation, not enough smoothness, how many people do you think will fall victim to it? You have a cost sheet, you have test rides.
Buying a Duke 390 is not an accident, you almost know what you're getting into.
I have one from 2013, once I adjusted my riding to it, it was fun all along. 10+ years down, it still is. Yes, you must rev high, no choice.

Plus, I've heard claims of higher low end torque in the new bike, so apparently rideability, even while commuting can't be that bad..

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 2nd April 2024 at 16:13.
Samarth 619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:34   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
I think it could have something to do with the Youtube videos regarding oil leaking and engine seizing within day 1. I haven't verified anything, but the last I heard the accusations were pretty big. Oil leaks, engine seized in 90 kms, etc..
I saw those videos and I too suspect them to be a major cause for brand new bikes turning up on Olx. A guy buys new Duke 390, the thing has engine noise like a KTM does or vibrates like a large single does, immediately goes on youtube to look for solution and is greeted by engine failure videos. Panics and chooses to sell the machine, which reminds me of what Shumi said on Motorinc. First batch Ktms are known to have issues.
Moose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:15   #228
BHPian

Having experienced the oil leak on my new 390 on a long ride as referred in my earlier post linked below did hamper my spirit. I had a thought or two already if I made a mistake, especially getting the first batch. But glad to say almost 6 months into owning this machine and fixing the minor issues bit by bit, my only regret is not getting a duke 390 earlier. What a wonderful little package this is which I intend to fully enjoy for years to come unless something catastrophic occurs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5689800 (2024 KTM Duke 390 Review)

Last edited by camitesh : 3rd April 2024 at 10:24. Reason: Fixed link
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 17:04   #229

Finally, I managed to get a test ride of the Duke 390. The last time I went for the test ride, unexpected events unfolded, which are documented below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5704483 (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)

Just for context, I own a 2017 TVS Apache RTR 200, but I have been regularly riding my friend’s SM 650 & 310 GS.

Although I am not very familiar with the 390cc single, I have ridden the Gen1 & Gen2 for very short 4-5km rides & couldn’t ride at higher revs to appreciate this single. The test ride bike was in the Orange color & boy, that is a lot of Orange. Below are my observations:
  • It is very accessible. The seat height is just perfect for me (I’m 5’7"). Feels very light on the move. I felt a bit intimidated when I first sat on the Gen2 because of the seat height, although I’m used to tall bikes now, it is always a confidence booster when both your feet touch the ground.
  • The seat is compact and good for one-up riding. I took the test ride with a pillion, and there was not much space to move around.
  • The TFT dash looks very crisp & readable. The switchgear feels nice and tactile, and changing riding modes on the go was easy.
  • The engine has got to be one of the best singles I have ridden. This high-revving character resonates with my riding style. The bottom end is not dead as many people complain; it potters around quite well in traffic. It is not oodles of torque like an RE under 3,000 rpm, but it is quite enough to ride in the city even with a pillion. It even cleared speed breakers in 2nd gear. The mid-range is good, but the real fun is above 6,000 rpm. It just wakes up and sings & sends the pillion flying. 100 comes very quickly & the way it keeps pulling to unmentionable speed is remarkable.
  • Due to the front rake being moved toward the rider, the handling is very sharp. Especially riding through traffic. It feels even more nimble & lighter than the RTR. I just feel like riding a similar-dimension bike with more than double the power. Riding the SM650 or the GS310 in traffic is a hassle, but KTM shines & slices through the urban jungle.
  • Tried the launch control on an empty road & the front wheel just went up. I was not expecting it so I let go off the throttle. Maybe even TC did something; it was flashing all the time.
  • The suspension is good at the default settings. I changed the front to being the softest; it was still not scary. Could not dig into the settings, but I guess we have a fair range of adjustments if required.
  • There was no heat felt even in the direct sunlight, the radiator fan was working & wasn’t very loud, unlike the 1st gen I’ve heard.
  • Gearbox is slick, QS works perfectly if used above 6,000 rpm. At lower revs, it's not very smooth.
  • Brakes stop you in a dime. I came to a halt from 100 something & it was very quick.
I am in love with what KTM has to offer. I have been looking for an upgrade & have test ridden Triumph Speed 400, Scrambler 400x, Himalayan 450, Adventure 390, Duke 250, Vstrom 250, Interceptor 650, Harley 440X. None of them felt as exciting as nimble. When the finances are in line, this is going to be the top contender for my next bike.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-screenshot_20240404165223.png  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-snapchat863162206.jpg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-20240323_143918.jpg  

Harsh_sharma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 17:55   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Why so many 2024 Duke 390s' are ending up on olx? These are brand new and less than 5k kms ridden, Why are the owners trying to sell it off? What might me the reason? How different is it from the Gen 2s?
I was surprised to read your post about so many 2024 Duke 390s winding up on Olx, when the bike is selling so poorly that KTM had to resort to loyalty bonuses very early in the product's life cycle. I did a quick search of some markets and the number of ad results on Olx, matched what I expected to find or not find, as is the case.

Tamil Nadu - 3 (of which 2 are the same)
Maharashtra - 2
West Bengal - 2
Kerala - 1 (Bear in mind that Kerala is KTM country)
Karnataka - 0
Madhya Pradesh - 0
Andhra Pradesh - 0
Punjab - 0
Gujarat - 0
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 20:26   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was surprised to read your post about so many 2024 Duke 390s winding up on Olx
Apologies. I don't have full numbers of how many have been sold in india yet. I was casually browsing olx and found these ads of 2024 Duke 390. As I too want to own one, I asked or I should have asked. Why someone would want to sell a brand new bike? Didn't they take a test ride or do youtube research to know what they are getting into? I know buyer's remorse exists, but I have seen quite a few ads in past 4-5 months. If you have checked for West Bengal, you must know that one of them is 2nd owner. Doesn't it raise some questions? On one side, moto journos, owners at Team-bhp and youtube are going Bananas over this and on other side, some owners who wish sell there brand new machine and a small group of people who are reporting a major engine issue on youtube. Bear in mind, these are less than 5000km mileage bikes and don't look like they had an accident.
Moose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 21:17   #232
BHPian

I did see couple new gen 390s with their engines out in the Sanpada svc. Advisor asked not to take a picture
My OG duke 200 first lot was surprisingly reliable and well built, perhaps their first act that's why. No engine trouble etc. However, there were small niggles and in hindsight perhaps I won't even visit the svc now for those tiny issues and may be live with it.

Having said that, I do believe that Bajaj quality control is a hit or miss. I have spent a lot maintaining my gen1 390, some of it I am pretty sure won't be required for a Jap bike.
For eg, had to replace the entire throttle body because the throttle cable assembly which comes integrated with the body had developed slack and the revs won't drop naturally when letting go of the throttle. First of all the cable assembly should be standalone, and one should not require changing the whole damn throttle body but perhaps the blame for this one lies with KTM and not Bajaj as it's a lazy design issue. However, after a few thousand kms now the problem is back.
Same story with the alternator, on my 3rd set now in last 3 years. Recently the ignition coil conked off got it replaced along with new plug. Now the bike feels out of breath in lower revs and there is a perceptible lag in throttle response, the bike defo feels a bit anaemic. I am not sure if it's the new coil and the plug or perhaps engine is not able to breathe properly as the throttle body was removed for cleaning and may be some tubing wasn't secured properly.
The abs has a mind of its own, sometimes works most time doesn't although I prefer when it doesn't.

Having said all this, there are few other bikes which make you smile the way the 390 does. I did a Mumbai to Hyderabad trip recently and it was a blast!
doga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 14:15   #233

Hi everyone,
This is my first post ever on Team-BHP. I've been through these forums and threads many times in the last decade, and found a lot of useful information for my bikes. I finally decided to take the plunge and become a member, in the hopes that my learnings from riding and taking care of my bikes might be of some use to someone out there.

Getting back to the topic at hand - I received my Gen 3 390 Duke back in December 2023 (for free!) as winner of the KTM giveaway. They did a whole photoshoot and interview around the delivery, and the dealer, Ravi Rajput (KTM Gurgaon) was super nice and gave me the RSA and extended warranty for free!

I already own a 2016 Gen 1 Duke 390, and that has been my favourite among all the bikes I've ever owned (including a Ninja 650 and a Z650), so getting the brand new Duke 390 was quite an exciting thing.

After having ridden the bike mostly in the city and highways around Delhi/Gurgaon, here's what I can share -

Pros -
- The engine is definitely a step up. Very smooth and torquey compared to the older 373cc unit. Low rpm acceleration is a massive improvement.
- Great chassis, brakes and suspension package. Haven't tried adjusting the suspension yet though.
- The electronics package is really good, though I really don't think its required for someone who has experience riding 390s
- Love how the DRLs look in the night, but they should have been stacked closer to the main headlamp unit.

Cons-
- The orange bike is a bit too orange. However, I went for the blue one to keep the look of the silver finish aluminium subframe. I think I prefer the look of the new 250.
- The seat is too low and not long enough to move around on. I tried getting the dealer to source the taller international seat (which I'd ridden on in Spain, but that's another story), but they said it wasn't available. Ended up raising this with KTMs internal management and they've ordered it for me now.
- Definitely needs a flyscreen, and I wish we had Powerparts available in India since most of the aftermarket options look like afterthoughts in terms of styling.
- Added a tank pad, since the matte finish tends to get scuffed up very easily with my jacket.
- The one thing this bike lacks is drama, especially in the the power delivery and sound, compared to my Gen 1 390, which is why I tend to ride that bike more - doesn't help that I've modified the old Duke with an ECU retune, aftermarket air filter, better brake pads, and more.
- The headlamps feel inadequate, and I guess I'll end up installing aux lights eventually for longer rides.

I've attached some pics of both the bikes here.

PS - KTM also sent me tickets to attend their "30 years of Duke" event in Spain, where I got to ride the 390, 990 and 1390 Super Duke. I've been thinking of posting videos of my experience there, but I've been too lazy I guess...

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img20240130wa0001.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img20240130wa0004.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20220514_090348374.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20220611_070945571.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20240301_111716144.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2024 at 04:20. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Fixed.
ridewthedevil is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 22:31   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewthedevil View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first post ever on team-bhp. .

Getting back to the topic at hand - I received my Gen 3 390 Duke back in December 2023 ( for free!) as winner of the KTM giveaway. They did a whole photoshoot and interview around the delivery, and the dealer, Ravi Rajput (KTM Gurgaon) was super nice and gave me the RSA and extended warranty for free!

I already own a 2016 Gen 1 Duke 390, and that has been my favourite among all the bikes I've ever owned (including a Ninja 650 and a Z650), so getting the brand new Duke 390 was quite an exciting thing.
here.

PS- KTM also sent me tickets to attend their "30 years of Duke" event in Spain, where I got to ride the 390, 990 and 1390 Super Duke. I've been thinking of posting videos of my experience there, but I've been too lazy I guess...
Heartiest congratulations to you! It's not often your hear about giveaways and that too to a Bhpian. Neatly and crispy elaborated about the pros and cons -- cannot complain. Spot on on the rawness and the urgency of the OG Duke -- it's simply a raspy motorcycle both aurally and viscerally.

I'd also like to appreciate your finer aspects of bringing the suave comparo between the K650 twins to the OG Duke. The 650s are ballistic machine too, but being both ballistic and fun, the OG shall always remain a testament then, now and has yielded to the market that it is -- now

Enjoy your bike to the fullest. My request to you, stop being lazy and do post your Spain trip memories -- now that you've gotten enough motivation for the day..

Godspeed!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 00:41   #235

Thanks for appreciating the post Vijay!

About the Kawasaki 650s, I was living in Indonesia between 2019-2022. And ended up owning 3 2nd hand bikes there.
The first was the Yamaha MT-25 - good chassis, anaemic engine.

I later upgraded to a Kawasaki Ninja 650 - and immediately disliked the bike.
The clip-ons made it feel heavy and unwieldy, and the riding position put a lot of strain on my back. I never really felt comfortable enough to go above 120 on the roads in Jakarta because of the way the bike felt.

Exchanged the Ninja after 6 months for the Z650. The weight difference might have only been around 5kg, but it felt more like 20. I felt way more at home, and I would do tiny power wheelies once in a while on this bike, and was able to hit 130 KPH the first day I bought the bike. It felt very flickable in traffic too, as the weight was pretty low down.

Honestly, both bikes were easy to maintain, with decent parts availability, and a service cost with oil change of only around 3K INR.

My main gripe with the Kawasaki 650s was the engine - great bottom end, but no real top end, and absolutely no sound or character to the power delivery. Every time I would come back to India and ride my Duke, the Duke would feel louder, faster and sharper. In terms of outright acceleration, the Duke wasn't a lot slower from 0-100, though the 650 obviously did better when it came to in-gear acceleration. I also missed the feeling of being seated really high up in traffic on the Duke, which made navigating traffic a much more fun experience.
ridewthedevil is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 12:32   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the guys who bought it with me at the time sold it because:
Count me in the list.

I had booked the Duke 390 on the first day of the launch, even before we ever saw the bikes in flesh. Test ride was initially offered to only those who had booked and it was a mind-blowing experience. It was short, sweet and on good paved road where the bike excels. India had never experienced an acceleration of such magniture barring maybe the mighty RD350, which was a different era.
Once the bike was delivered, i had issues adjusting my riding style to suit the nature of the bike. Coming from the Enfield family, i was used to torquey engine, less frequent shift of gears, upright posture, relaxed ride, etc. Duke 390 was anything but these. I struggled, especially in heavy Bangalore traffic. I did make some modifications to the bike to suit my touring requirements, but one can only achieve so much. That was also the time i had started foraying into the world of off-road riding, and the hard suspension on the duke was another pain point in that regard.

In my quest for a better tourer, i eventually bought a versys 650, and the Duke started getting neglected. I somehow also got into purchasing a used Triumph Bonneville and that further pushed the Duke into a corner. Parking space was an issue in the apartment as well, and eventually in 2016, about 36K kms on the odometer, i said a final Good-Bye to my Duke 390. Looking back, i do miss the lightness and point-n-shoot nature of that bike at times. A lot has happened since than. Riding sphere has shifted more towards off-the-road. New bikes have come and gone.
Life is taken a full circle and now i stand at a point where i am waiting for the upcoming KTM 390 (399?) ADV. Was eying the Himalayan 450, but not fully convinced post a test ride. Hope the upcoming 390 ADV appeals like how the first gen Duke felt post the maiden test ride. Sharing some pics of the same.

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-1422502_10152422091118228_929378640_n.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-12132370_10200964957762562_8252124677367209875_o.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-1391957_10152422091343228_1633031565_n.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-1402805_10153431748713228_2134937275944873209_o.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-1441559_10152422089268228_2070558684_n.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2024 at 04:20. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 12:39   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The best part about this discussion is discovering how many of us are still going strong with our old ladies.
Long time Doc. Familiar with you from the D200 times. I bought a Duke 200 in 2014 (first lot) and then graduated to the 2nd gen 390 ( 1st lot again). Was always happy with the versatility of the bike and used it for regular commute in peak Bangalore traffic with weekend touring, Mild off-roading etc., The bike took everything thrown at it with aplomb! Sold it last week and missing it already, have booked the NX 500 and the deliveries are not in sight at all.
But the D390 will always be a cherished bike and would have loved to keep it! 8 years were trouble free with only general service and replacements of brake pads, sprockets etc.,

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2024 at 04:21. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Starscream1188 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 12:54   #238
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Sold it last week and missing it already, have booked the nx 500 and the deliveries are not in sight at all.
But the D390 will always be a cherished bike and would have loved to keep it! 8 years were trouble free with only general service and replacements of brake pads, sprockets etc.,
You've seen the 2 best Dukes (in my opinion). The Gen1 200 and the Gen1 390. Any bike after these 2 will have big boots to fill in. The NX 500 looks good. Wishing you lots of fun on that one too!

The Duke and Bajaj/KTM experience has been hugely satisfying for me as a rider who always goes hard regardless of what is under him. And coming from the Royal Enfield decade and 3 500s. Cost, hassle, availability, reliability, thrashability (if that's a word), access, time on road versus time in workshop, ageing, performance straight from the factory to your right wrist, these are all things that were huge paradigm shifts for a Bulleteer.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 10th April 2024 at 12:56.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 12:26   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewthedevil View Post
Hi everyone,
=====
PS- KTM also sent me tickets to attend their "30 years of Duke" event in Spain, where I got to ride the 390, 990 and 1390 Super Duke. I've been thinking of posting videos of my experience there, but I've been too lazy I guess...
Wow congratulations!
How does this "KTM giveaway" works? If you can please explain.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th April 2024 at 12:40. Reason: Trimming quoted posts, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2024, 12:50   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS65 View Post
Wow congratulations!
How does this "KTM giveaway" works? If you can please explain.
They were running a giveaway for signing up to the newsletter. A guy in France won the new 990, and one in Germany got the new 1390.
ridewthedevil is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks