Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2024, 09:19   #136
BHPian

Re: 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Any updates on the performance of these tires? Looking to switch over to the same as my rides have increasingly started incorporating trail rides.
These are my 3rd set. The previous 2 sets on my 1st gen 390. Grip on dry and wet is very good. I’m not sure how they accomplish that but grip on twisty roads is brilliant I also switched to these because I increasingly found myself going off main roads into trails or no roads. Handles well. Only 2 gripes- Since this is a dual compound, the main contact section with softer compound tends to wear off soon. Rear will last only about 8k kms. Front about 12k kms. Second issue is cost & availability. Even if you find a full set, it could cost you upwards of 28k INR.
Endless.... is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 22:25   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, looks like it happened
We two, ours one , eh like those truck lines?

Congratulations and welcome to the Dukes Club! Hearty wishes to the wife too and Many miles and smiles with the 390!

Quote:
But this bike is truly capable of being an extension to one's body!
Absolutely! I am just back from a long weekend in the Nilgiris which I had done before on my Himalayan and it was a complete 360 experience. I lean, it leans, with a confidence which few motorcycles can display. Completed 1200 km with the Apollo Alpha H1s and they have good all round grip too, but on extreme dirt very slippery. The Metzelers would had been a great reassuring leaning experience, based on the Gen 3 390 i testrode. A track day can help me extract what I missed on the Alphas perhaps.
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 23:18   #138
BHPian

I came across this video in which a guy was able to activate turn-by-turn navigation on his Duke. I don't have an Android, and KTM Connect is not available in India for the iPhone. Surprisingly, he can still use it on his iPhone, even though he is also in India. However, his navigation didn't work through the app on the iPhone but worked when he used Android. Can someone confirm this, as I don't have an Android to check?
scarn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 10:31   #139

Not able to see the KTM connect app in the Play Store on my Android. Seems that he sideloaded the APK file to install the app. Looking for some reliable source to download the APK and try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
I came across this video in which a guy was able to activate turn-by-turn navigation on his Duke. I don't have an Android, and KTM Connect is not available in India for the iPhone. Surprisingly, he can still use it on his iPhone, even though he is also in India. However, his navigation didn't work through the app on the iPhone but worked when he used Android. Can someone confirm this, as I don't have an Android to check?
Old 31st January 2024, 11:38   #140
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Three generations and 10 years into a manic 45 bhp sub 400 cc pocket rocket, does anyone else get the strong feeling that India is ready (and running out of time versus the electric hordes) for a mass production 70 bhp KTM priced for the masses?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:00   #141
BHPian

Has anyone installed a windscreen/visor on the Gen 3? If so, please share your experience.
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:37   #142
BHPian

Just got back after getting my first service done at 800kms. Bike feels a bit less vibey at lower revs than earlier and a bit more responsive. One thing that confused me is service center guys asking to come back once 1000 KMs are completed so they can remove the RPM lock which is pretty weird as I thought there was no RPM lock in Duke 390 and only the guideline to keep the RPM below 6500 from the dealer. Only lock I know of is on launch control and that should unlock automatically once you cross 1000 KM. Does anyone got any clarity on this?
Old 3rd February 2024, 23:42   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
Just got back after getting my first service done at 800kms. Bike feels a bit less vibey at lower revs than earlier and a bit more responsive. One thing that confused me is service center guys asking to come back once 1000 KMs are completed so they can remove the RPM lock which is pretty weird as I thought there was no RPM lock in Duke 390 and only the guideline to keep the RPM below 6500 from the dealer. Only lock I know of is on launch control and that should unlock automatically once you cross 1000 KM. Does anyone got any clarity on this?
Rpm isn't limited for sure. Tested this. Possibly just allowing you to set your own red lining limit as displayed. Not on the engine.
Old 4th February 2024, 15:26   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Rpm isn't limited for sure. Tested this. Possibly just allowing you to set your own red lining limit as displayed. Not on the engine.
That's what I thought. The SVC guys sounds very uninformed on this bike. They keep saying navigation will be activated after 1000 KM even though there is no app to do that yet.
Old 9th February 2024, 23:12   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman View Post
Not able to see the KTM connect app in the Play Store on my Android. Seems that he sideloaded the APK file to install the app. Looking for some reliable source to download the APK and try it out.
KTM connect app is now available in the Google App Store in India. Was able to install it. Created an account and registered my Gen3 Duke 390 using the Chassis number.

App is showing 2 plans : Basic for ₹ 920 (one-time, I'm assuming) and Premium for ₹5,700 per year or 1,149 per month

Features as per link in app : https://account.ktm.com/KTMconnect/f...iption_en.html
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-screenshot_20240209_230518_ktmconnect.jpg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-screenshot_20240209_230546_ktmconnect.jpg  

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th February 2024 at 23:16. Reason: Minor typo corrected
nikman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 23:39   #146
BHPian

Yikes. Looks like subscription cancer has reached Indian shores for bikes also. Can't say I'm happy about it. Hope next gen KTMs (or any bike for that matter) don't come with optional 'tech pack' in India.
Old 10th February 2024, 12:29   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman View Post
KTM connect app is now available in the Google App Store in India. Was able to install it. Created an account and registered my Gen3 Duke 390 using the Chassis number.

App is showing 2 plans : Basic for ₹ 920 (one-time, I'm assuming) and Premium for ₹5,700 per year or 1,149 per month

Features as per link in app : https://account.ktm.com/KTMconnect/f...iption_en.html
Do you think the Premium subscription is worth the monthly payment? I feel that it is quite overkill; the standard subscription with one-time payment is good enough for everyday and touring use. I don't think we require real-time updates, as most people use Google Maps/HEREwego/Waze with a mobile mount for highway touring. I might just end up getting the regular version and use it inside the city.
Old 10th February 2024, 17:18   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
Do you think the Premium subscription is worth the monthly payment? I feel that it is quite overkill; the standard subscription with one-time payment is good enough for everyday and touring use. I don't think we require real-time updates, as most people use Google Maps/HEREwego/Waze with a mobile mount for highway touring. I might just end up getting the regular version and use it inside the city.
Well inside the city is where real-time traffic updates are required the most, but taffic update is part of the premium plan...so yes its overkill and that too to be paid anually, not one time.

Don't think I'll be subscribing. Another idea would be to get a cheap / old Android phone and a decent mobile mount for daily use only for navigation.
nikman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 22:31   #149
BHPian

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-screenshot_20240210_203235_photos4.jpg

I took out the little Duke for a small run today. Windblast is a thing (grateful to the tallboy ADVs)! I forgot my ear plugs too

So far, I have enjoyed the experience on it.
City runs are far easier. The ergos are friendly. Didn't take me too much time to adjust over an ADV's ergos to be honest.
Seat is small for sure acting as a constant reminder to work out.
Mirrors are usable. Feel adequate as of now.
Radiator fan seems to keep the temperature in check within 94C it feels like. Although it's pleasant weather in Bangalore right now, my Himalayan definitely felt more hotter than this. Don't care to be honest.
The engine does feel far more tractable than the Gen 1 which I've ridden a decent bit in city. I'm yet to stall this vehicle. Even with an un-KTM like, obnoxiously low ~20kph in 3rd gear, the bike seemed to take it in its stride. Early days? Probably. Not that I'm going to test that out again though.
Lights are...there. That's all I can say about it right now.
Brakes are good. Confidence inspiring. Would've liked a little more bite, coming in a bit more precisely though. The lever felt a bit vague to me. Will adjust more and see.
It's a dust magnet. And because of the panels and therefore the panel gaps, there's quite a bit of dust settling in there too. Going to be a task to keep it looking showroom shiny.
The screen is readable even with sun directly on top.
Rain mode vs Street mode, is quite noticeable throttle response wise.
Speed control is a nice feature, but how useful, I don't know yet. Haven't found real world usability as it stands today. Would probably be helpful to be able to lock the speed in when giving it to a younger one at home.

Two features that I'm using with great joy -

- Quickshifter - works well to be honest. On a non-QS motorcycle , I generally preload a bit on the lever when shifting up. Which is a no-no with a Quickshifter. It chops the throttle thinking a shift is on way.

- Auto cancelling indicators - didn't know we paid for this too
From the website -
Quote:
Automatic reset after 10 s and a distance travelled of 150 m
The counter is halted while the vehicle is at a standstill
Some mods on way. Will share when I have updates. Cheers!
shyamg28 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 20:29   #150
BHPian

Not bad at all! It's a usual route for me and this is probably the fastest I've done overall. And funnily enough, I kept the bike at an easy pace with just a few fast paced runs. So I know for a fact the next time around, this time will reduce even further. And this was very unexpected for me

This bike will sit at the easiest 100 I've seen, all day long. Now I get the popular demand for cruise control.

Compared to a big, heavy ADV, this one allows me to purely use engine breaking, and when I need to, break much much later. And when the roads get smaller, the Adv obviously needs far more input. This one goes where you want.

It's going to be an interesting next few months getting to understand how a fast street naked like this does against a heavy weight. Over various terrains.

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img20240211wa0003.jpeg
shyamg28 is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks