Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which suits the requirements?
TVS Ntorq 6 8.45%
TVS Jupiter 49 69.01%
Hero Xoom 1 1.41%
Suzuki Avenis 9 12.68%
Yamaha Ray-ZR 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 22:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Which scooter to replace an Access 125? Used by parents for short commutes

I had replied on another Access Thread, Suzuki has fixed the low air filter issue in the first generation currently.

Due to this problems you were facing won't be there.

Check out the Access again and then decide.
Arun_S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 01:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Hello!

As some of you may know, I had posted a thread about the problems plaguing our 13 year old Suzuki Access 125. The decision has finally been taken to replace it after lots of services with no avail, and it touching the 40k mark!

Attachment 2499679

The New scooter will be used by my parents for short commutes within Bengaluru. It may see typical usage of 10-20km/day. Together, we shortlisted the most reasonable options. Request you to provide your valuable suggestions regarding the same.

-------

Thanks in advance
I would suggest any scooter other than the Jupiter 125, solely for the fuel pipe plumbing located on/in/below its foot-board, and it will be plying on Bengaluru roads. I am also 5'3" but not comfortable on any scooter other than Scooty. Hence I would suggest to take a look at the Zest 110cc or Pep 110cc. They are light, nimble and quite zippy, enough to be handled by anyone. They do not come with LED lighting though, I know the issue with my Pep's halogens while riding in night.

Also you have mentioned that your family has been using the Access 125 which is fairly high-seating, so NTorq can also be not an issue. You can also start getting a hang of its behavior before you can also start riding regularly.

Last edited by Guru_GPS : 8th September 2023 at 01:22. Reason: Added some more content
Guru_GPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 08:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, can you please give details on how it happened?
I always serviced on time at the TVS service centre and tried to maintain as best as i could and I'm not sure why it happened. I was getting 20-25kmpl after 2yrs (Drop from 35-38).
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
If the main comfort issue is the shock, we had the same problem with our Jupiter. Just the SVC to turn the suspension setting up by a few, it's adjustable.
The issue is more of the seating posture, my mother who usually sits sideways says that in the Jupiter the footrest is higher and hence the more knees up posture.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted Jupiter 125.

Reasons :
- Comfortable suspension with a 2-3 step adjustable rear suspension.
- Largest underseat storage among your options and and two half face helmets can fit in.
- Front apron fuel filler cap, no need to get off the scooter.

None of these options are available on the others.
They're too sporty(read stiffer suspension, lesser storage spaces and relatively raked/higher rear seat) for your needs. Not sure about the Ray-ZR but if looking there try the Fascino.

Take test rides of all but before that be absolutely clear towards whom the scooter is targeted. Let those folks test ride all and decide.

Last edited by shancz : 8th September 2023 at 10:20. Reason: ecl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 13:21   #21

For parents, I'd say the Jupiter and Burgman make the most sense given their seating comfort and ride quality. If styling is a concern, you can never go wrong with an Activa.

Last but the least, I've recently ridden the Chetak Electric and it was just beautiful.
youngmonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Is it suitable for a 5'2 woman in mid forties of normal build to handle it? My mother did not feel the weight much during the TD but reviewers, friends all say its a heavy beast.

Option 2 : TVS Jupiter 125
Keep in mind that at 5' 2", the Jupiter may feel a bit tall. Get a test ride.
Barring the seating height, it is niggle free, comfortable for short rides. The I felt that the suspension is a bit harder in jupiter compared to the access.
We have a Jupiter classic over the past several years and it has been a low maintenance scooter, only that the battery dies every few years - it is now running on its second battery.
Accessing the battery is a pain, hence can't use a battery charger for periodic top up.

You didn't consider EVs? They would probably be more convenient especially the Chetak.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 15:30   #23
BHPian

Hi,
You have 2 good options TVS Jupiter (ICE) & Bajaj Chetak both are competent enough for daily rides as reported by you.
I have both the above scooters and i would prefer Chetak over Jupiter simply because of low maintenance & running cost.
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 21:22   #24
BHPian

Update :

Checked out the Ntorq, Jupiter, Avenis and Access at their respective showrooms.

The Suzuki showroom experience was extremely disappointing. It was total chaos inside the showroom where all employees were behind desks talking to themselves and the scooters were just on display in the front. Two employees were even arguing in front of everyone using harsh words. No one bothered to ask us what we were looking for. Upon request, a test drive for the Avenis was arranged. The ride felt comfortable but the fit and finish is not great, especially the pillion footrests. The avenis was rejected soon after that. Disappointing experience from a showroom where we first bought the Access from.

Went to two TVS showrooms to check out Jupiter and Ntorq. The salesmen voted Ntorq to be more suitable for us, and were agreed with by my Parents. They did take an Ntorq test ride which they liked, but the practicality of the jupiter sealed everything for them.
Looks like the replacement is going to be a Jupiter 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok George View Post
Hi,

Is your scooter for sale?

Pl let me know.

Thanks
Hi, thanks for expressing interest, but we are planning to cash in on the exchange offer at the showroom itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

You didn't consider EVs? They would probably be more convenient especially the Chetak.
Did consider EV's, even made a thread regarding that (Electric vs Petrol scooter | Need advice) with Electric getting most of the votes but since our usage doesn't seem to be timely and regular, having an EV scooter would be slightly difficult for us.
arnav17 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 10:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
...They did take an Ntorq test ride which they liked, but the practicality of the jupiter sealed everything for them.
Looks like the replacement is going to be a Jupiter 125.
but since our usage doesn't seem to be timely and regular, having an EV scooter would be slightly difficult for us.
You seem to have weighed all practicalities and not gone with hype.
Wishing safe riding to your parents!
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 17:52   #26
BHPian

Hi,
I own an NTorq and with respect to your parents using it, my dad(67Years old) finds it comfortable to drive but finds it heavy in some tricky situations only. Like if he has to come to a halt on a slight slope or on roads that are slippery due to sand/mud. So your parents should be comfortable I think. I have voted for the same in the poll.

By the way, my dad owns and drives a TVS Wego on a daily basis. He finds Wego to be much easier to handle than NTorq.

I have a different recommendation. Please ask your parents to test drive Ather. It’s much lighter. If seat height isn’t a concern, then this is definitely a better buy.

Edit: didn’t see the last post by OP. Seems the decision is made. Wishing your parents plenty of safe miles and smiles.

Last edited by bpapache : 11th September 2023 at 17:56. Reason: Didn’t see OP’s last post
bpapache is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 07:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

For parents/senior citizens, comfort and riding position matter a lot. We have Access and Activa at home and my parents always prefer to take Activa (old one with under seat fuel filling) as my mother find the back seat ergonomics and side step position better.
For solo driver point of view : For ladies and short height persons (less than 5'4"), Activa is more ergonomic in terms of seating position. Ladies of my house prefer Activa.
You can't go wrong with either on paper, but please check out the comfort and ergonomics from your parents point of view. I feel the new Activa has shorter seat vs old ones due to the external fuel cap.

I have heard lot of positives about Jupiter 125 as well. Although some of friends who own TVS vehicle are not happy with the long term reliability of its engines so they have recommended me to stay way from TVS brand. Personally I love the feature packed Jupiter.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 12th September 2023 at 07:43.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 07:59   #28
BHPian

If looks of the Avenis aren't your deciding factor, go for the new gen Access 125. We own a 2019 BS4 Access 125 that is parked along with a BS6 Activa 125 and an Activa 4G at my brother's place. He's in his early 50's and prefers using the Access over the other two. It has done 32,000kms in almost 4 years with local runs and occassional highways runs as well (80-90kms) and my brother finds it suitable for his 6'0ft height frame.

In terms of maintenance, so far it has yet to give any trouble. It's still on stock CVT belt (usually replaced by 25k KMS). Apart from a snapped meter cable, we have just replaced consumables and driven on. This was my go-to 2-wheeler during the 1st and 2nd wave of COVID.

The only downside I find is the dated looks, something which Avenis seeks to do justice with. Take a ride and decide. Also, TVS Service here is nothing to write positives about. I live in a tier-2 city and it's the same at your place, I would stay away from Jupiter, even though it's a fantastic scooter. I know a buddy who did 280kms in a few hours on it (brunch ride).
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 08:05   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am surprise as to why Honda, the most popular and highest selling scooter is missing from the choices.

I would suggest having a look at Honda Activa which is Indias choice hands down. You can check the numbers yourself. Gives troublefree ownership for years.

Most importantly the height is well suited for elderly people.
The fuss free drive and honda service makes it an easy decision for most.

Second option could be Honda Dio, though as not popular but does have fresh looks.
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:14   #30
BHPian

If budget is not a concern, please do checkout tvs iqube once. I like it especially because of zero maintenance over its lifetime. Petrol scooters will need repeated maintenance, more so after 3/4 yrs!
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks