Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 13:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut

KTM has officially taken the wraps off the 2024 Duke 390 for the global market. The 2024 KTM Duke 390 is now in its third-generation iteration and features a number of updates, both in terms of styling and mechanical changes.

New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-2024ktmduke3901.jpg

Starting off with the design, the new-gen Duke 390 now comes with wider LED headlamps with boomerang-shaped DRLs. The fuel tank shrouds on the new Duke 390 are larger, protrude further and look more aggressive than on the older model. The new-gen naked motorcycle also comes with a split-seat setup and overall looks much larger than the current version.

New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-2024ktmduke3902.jpg

KTM has increased the engine capacity on the new-generation KTM Duke 390 - it now gets a 399cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine producing 44 BHP and 39 Nm. It is paired with a 6-speed gearbox with a slipper-clutch and quick-shifter. Other mechanical updates include 43 mm USD front forks and a mono-shock suspension setup. Braking is via a 320 mm disc at the front and a 240 mm disc at the rear, supported by Dual-channel, Cornering & Supermoto ABS. The 2024 KTM Duke 390 rides on 17-inch alloys wrapped in Michelin tyres.

The new-gen KTM Duke 390 also gets a host of electronic rider aids, including three ride modes (Street, Rain and Track). However, what's new is that for the first time, KTM will be offering the Duke 390 with launch control. Other standard features on offer include a 5-inch TFT instrument cluster, smartphone connectivity, turn-by-turn navigation and Bluetooth connectivity for calls and music control.

KTM is yet to officially announce the pricing for the new-gen Duke 390. The latest iteration of the motorcycle is also expected to make its way to the Indian market soon.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 22nd August 2023 at 13:14.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 14:06   #2
BANNED

Re: New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut

Hi,
KTM Duke 390 is one of the best machines in this price range. I owned a 2016 model and sold it with just 4400kms in the Odo.

Only drawback and main drawback is people use to this machine in a very different perspective. Even Cops are not respecting the riders in some places.
I faced issues 3 to 4 times and fed up with these unwanted hassles.

Even higher engine capacity machines like Z800, i haven't faced these kind of issues in public roads.
My both Machines taken way back in 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-img_0066.jpg  

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 22nd August 2023 at 14:07.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 14:33   #3
BHPian

I am a little disappointed that the 18 ish CC increase in displacement led to no changes in the power or torque of the engine. Love everything else about it tho.
Old 22nd August 2023, 17:14   #4
BHPian

I think I have seen this bike on the old Mumbai- Pune highway. It really looks more like a big bike, bigger than the current version. It had partial camo, but was in similar color as in above pictures. Looks good, but they should also try other colours too.

The tech is impressive in this category, I think launch control is a first. Let's see what the Indian model gets.
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhildrao View Post
I am a little disappointed that the 18 ish CC increase in displacement led to no changes in the power or torque of the engine. Love everything else about it tho.
The 25cc engine size increase actually led to 2 Nm of extra torque (decent) and 1Kw (or 1.36 Ps) of power (could have been more)

Blame the emission norms for this scenario. I was hoping that this increases the power output to the limit of 35Kw. I guess KTM kept this option open for future increase in power output instead of taking this opportunity to max it out to the A2 license limit.
antz.bin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 19:09   #6
BHPian

For those interested, check out this youtube video
vzvish91 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 20:05   #7
BHPian

Rather than the miniscule top torque increase, it would be interesting to see how they have spread that increase. Am really hoping for better low and mid grunt at < 4000 rpm.
Above that the torque and power is perfectly fine.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 20:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzvish91 View Post
For those interested, check out this Youtube video
https://Youtu.be/m-1R6hfsYB0?si=utbXQcxT8cNEAz2l
The exhaust note feels much deeper than the current one, atleast from this video. I was waiting for RokBagoros to upload, as he did a similar video for the 2022 RC390. Ofcourse he has some connect with KTM. I believe he is KTM's factory stuntrider or something. The TFT looks much cleaner now, unlike the cluttered screen of the current bike. Another observation I have is regarding the ride by wire throttle. I felt it has a little bit of lag, as demonstrated in the launch control part of the video. One more thing I feel KTM should've given( or rather updated this with current models as well) is to turn off the ABS completely. This would help people who want to go on track days or learn stunts(like me)in safe environments and full gear ofcourse. Quickshifter should be kept standard for the 390 atleast, as KTM charges quite a premium for the bike already.

KTM sure knows how to make droolworthy bikes. If I had the money, I would happily add this to my garage beside Citrus. Only if I had the money.

On a slightly serious note , I am really interested in the bigger engine. I can't wait to get a testride once it launches here. The current 390 is dead at low rpm's and hates higher gears at low rpm's. Think of this bike as a naturally aspirated car engine; the more you rev the more torque you get and the more you smile. Low end torque increase would definitely help in city puttering and ofcourse stuntriding. Atleast to me, this bike's launch feels much more interesting and important that the Triumph Speed 400 and Harley X440 combined. Different segments ofcourse, but still it is what it is.

The bike looks amazing in this angle:
Attached Thumbnails
New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-screenshot_2023082220263199_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg  

Last edited by saikishor : 22nd August 2023 at 20:40.
saikishor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 00:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quick Tech Specs
===========

Engine
  • Torque 39 Nm
  • Transmission 6-speed
  • Battery Capacity 8 Ah
  • Cooling Liquid Cooled
  • Power In Kw 33 Kw
  • Starter Electric Starter
  • Stroke 64 Mm
  • Bore 89 Mm
  • Clutch Pasc™ Antihopping Clutch, Mechanically Operated
  • Displacement 398.7 Cm³
  • Ems Bosch Ems With Rbw
  • Design 1-cylinder, 4-stroke Engine
  • Lubrication Wet Sump

Chassis
  • Weight (Without Fuel) 165 Kg
  • Front Brake Disc Diameter 320 Mm
  • Rear Brake Disc Diameter 240 Mm
  • Front Brake Four-piston Radial Fixed Calliper, Brake Disc
  • Rear Brake 2 Piston Floating Caliper
  • Chain 520 X-ring
  • Frame Design Steel Trellis Frame, Powder Coated
  • Front Suspension Wp Apex 43
  • Rear Suspension Wp Apex - Monoshock
  • Seat Height 820/800 Mm
  • Suspension Travel (Front) 150 Mm
  • Suspension Travel (Rear) 150 Mm

Things to note:
1. Adjustable seat height
2. Excellent DRLs, looks exquisite.
3. Rear brake is twin piston and NOT a single piston like the outgoing ones.
4. Rebound and preload adjustable rear shock as well as front (not sure how India is gonna fare here)

More information KTM EU website

https://www.ktm.com/en-int/models/na...-390-duke.html

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th August 2023 at 14:13. Reason: Some more formatting :)
VijayAnand1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:52   #10
BHPian

This looks so beautiful to me. The rear offset shock mounted on the swing-arm connecting the trellis frame to the handlebar directly in one straight line. Now that's art in a motorcycle to me. I don't care so much about the specs or the engine upgrade but the looks are just out of this world.

New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-photo_20230823_100949.jpg

I'll wait to the see the Indian spec version before making any decisions, but I could definitely see myself bringing this home along with my current Duke.
pepega is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 11:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
This looks so beautiful to me. The rear offset shock mounted on the swing-arm connecting the trellis frame to the handlebar directly in one straight line. Now that's art in a motorcycle to me. I don't care so much about the specs or the engine upgrade but the looks are just out of this world.
I was actually going to say exactly that!

It is art that is engineered into the design and not stickered.

New-generation KTM Duke 390 makes its official global debut-screenshot-20230823-11.07.44-am.png

The line exists on the other side as well connecting the tank shroud directly to the bottom of the tail lamp passing through the bottom line of the seat and the 2nd line on the tail section.
antz.bin is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very interesting looking bike and would aesthetically appeal to most.

I liked the first gen Duke design for it was a refreshing change from other bikes in the market at that time. 200 was launched first followed by the 390 in similar form factor except for 390 had alloys in orange.

Not a big fan of the 2017 update, be it the Duke or the RC. It was a bit too radical, sharp and insect like form, esp the sky facing profile of the headlights. Tank shroud was interesting though.

This 2024 version has too many things going around it, but somehow looks interesting and intriguing and almost butch. Looks like a grounds up new design, rather than an update, with completely new frame, die-cast sub frame, engine casing, swing arm, side mounted rear shocks, alloys, brakes, front end, etc.

It would be interesting to see how the KTM has distributed the power and torque delivery. With platforms like the triumph 400 having a much tractable and better better low end torque, am sure KTM would have aimed to better that. (Bajaj is manufacturing triumph 400, but owns almost half the KTM as a company). Looking forward to test riding the same to get a feel of engine character.

I was interested in the 390ADV but did not buy it due not so enjoyable low-end ride-ability. It would be nice to see how this engine translates into the next gen 390ADV and hopes are much positive. All in all exciting days ahead for motorcycle enthusiasts.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 11:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Can't wait to ride this. For experienced riders looking for an exhilarating 400 cc offering, I am expecting this to stand head & shoulders over everything else in the segment (price, value metrics aside which are subjective). Visually it looks sharp but I'm generally not a fan of how KTMs look (specially their headlights) and this one is no exception.

But what I'm really excited about is the next gen 390 Adventure based on an all new chassis. I'm hoping KTM really gets that one right, with the correct range of variants and options as well offered right from the word go.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2023 at 11:39.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 12:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Things to note:
1. Adjustable seat height
2. Excellent DRLs, looks exquisite.
3. Rear brake is twin piston and NOT a single piston like the outgoing ones.
4. Rebound and preload adjustable rear shock as well as front (not sure how India is gonna fare here)

More information KTM EU website

https://www.ktm.com/en-int/models/na...-390-duke.html

Cheers!
VJ
Few more things to add

Radiator has more surface area and with two fans. I think they carried over this from ADV390. Hopefully less heat now.
Ground clearance is better than BS6 Duke 390
Since the exhaust is routed under the frame, no more frying heat on left side
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 13:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
One more thing I feel KTM should've given( or rather updated this with current models as well) is to turn off the ABS completely. This would help people who want to go on track days or learn stunts(like me)in safe environments and full gear ofcourse. Quickshifter should be kept standard for the 390 atleast, as KTM charges quite a premium for the bike already.
Even if they give the ABS off option, it will not come to India because of the ABS on all the time legal requirement that came into force some years back here. So Indian stunters, offroad riders etc take the workaround of pulling the ABS fuse to switch off ABS on the India-spec models.

The first generation KTM 390 Duke spec sold in India (including the one I have) had the ABS off option directly from the speedo console. I had to replace the console unit recently with a newer speedo console. The new replacement units don't allow switching off ABS!
anilp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed