Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2023, 21:14   #1
BHPian

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350

This thread is about installing a backrest for your bench seat Bullet (Standard and Electra) the easy way. Yes, this is a jugaad.

I speculated the need for a rider backrest on my Bullet for the Ladakh ride from Trivandrum. Wanted a cheap backrest which could be installed without heavy modification of the seat (see YouTube videos which used car seat headrests).

After hours of research and thought, finally inspiration struck.

1. Buy this type of backrest, which is intended for the pillion rider. Cost Rs.749/-

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-back-rest.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/SGTB-Enfield-B...field%3ABULLET

2. Reverse the mounting clamps

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-reverse-clamp.jpeg

3. Mount it to the nuts that hold the pillion grip in the seat

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-mounting-point.jpg

4. Slight set back

Due to the pre drilled holes and due to the fact that the clamps are reversed, the back rest will be at a weird angle tipped to the front.

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-angle-before-relief-hole.jpeg

5. Solution

Drill a hole besides the default mounting top hole after marking the position after tilting the back rest at the desired angle

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-relief-hole.jpeg

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-bracket-relief-hole-close-up.jpeg

Final set up

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-front-view.jpeg

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-back-view.jpeg

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-angle-view.jpeg

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-angle-close-up.jpeg

Click image for larger version

Name:	seat angle close up.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	2493093

Points to consider

Never install the back rest too close to your back. The reason is that on bumpy roads you need enough clearance to prevent the back rest from poking your back (even though it is cushioned, it is very uncomfortable).

Review (1 month 170 km daily commute)

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-seat-angle-motorcycle.jpeg

Positives

1. Cheap
2. No modifications required on the stock seat
3. You can take it away easily if you don't need it
4.The rider back rest is good for long rides. With the way I installed it in my motorcycle, when riding on highways, you can use it by slightly sliding back. By sitting in the normal riding position, you can stay clear of it (useful in bad roads)

Negatives

1. You cannot carry a pillion rider
2. you cannot use it on bumpy roads
3. Getting on the motorcycle requires the flexibility of doing a high kick

Regards

Adrian

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2023 at 06:03. Reason: Spacing
adrian is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 06:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350

Thats a nice idea to fit a back rest for the rider.
What about the luggage space in case you have to use the pillion seat for a saddle bag or tie down something?
The seat that came with the Electra and Standard were the best seats on a RE for comfort and long distance.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip. This is still on my bucket list.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 10:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
This thread is about installing a backrest for your bench seat Bullet (Standard and Electra) the easy way. Yes, this is a jugaad.
That's a neat DIY and I'm sure your back will "Thank You" on longer rides.

However, a suggestion, Put those bolts end inwards (with nuts), lest they would hurt your leg or get your rider pants in trouble, if they got stuck while going up or down on a bike. The bolt end (sharp edge) might hurt your hands while putting it on the main stand, if you try to do it with the back support and also can hurt you in a situation of the bike imbalance.

Or

Put a bolt protector, at the end, something like this, so that the protruding edge is well inside the groove.

Safe Riding.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-img_5800.jpeg  

NomadSK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Good idea but the easier thing is to have a tail bag mounted when on highways. It is soft plus luggage is sorted as well.

Just a sample from a recent trip on my Interceptor. I do the same on my Electra and thunderbird as well.

Also, please do something about those metal brackets protruding out. If you do saddling on bad roads , would be real dangerous for your tailbone
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-img20230721wa0029_original.jpeg  

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 21st August 2023 at 11:01.
vamsi2390 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 20:32   #6
BHPian

Re: DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
What about the luggage space in case you have to use the pillion seat for a saddle bag or tie down something?
For a tail bag, this will provide support and an additional anchorage. As far as a saddle bag is concerned, it depends on the type.

DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-saddles.jpg

If you are using the drystack type, there will be no issues as the cross bridges are two independent straps. But the cross bridge in the expedition saddle bag is of a broad sheet type design and the back rest will make one side curl up a little bit.

I am using a Ladakh carrier as well as the Rynox expedition saddle bags and as such will not be a problem in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Have a safe and enjoyable trip. This is still on my bucket list.
You are the very first person to wish me on the trip. Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
That's a neat DIY and I'm sure your back will "Thank You" on longer rides.

However, a suggestion, Put those bolts end inwards (with nuts), lest they would hurt your leg
Thank you for bringing up a very important point. But unfortunately the bolts cannot be reversed in direction since it will damage the stock seat cover.
I plan to rectify the issue using dome nuts.

Thank you for the wishes.
DIY: Backrest for rider on the bench seat | Royal Enfield Bullet Standard 350-stainlesssteeldomecapnut.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post

Put a bolt protector, at the end, something like this, so that the protruding edge is well inside the groove.

Safe Riding.
I have never seen this thing. So thank you for introducing this very useful contraption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Good idea but the easier thing is to have a tail bag mounted when on highways.
Actually I am using the rynox storm proof tail bag. Wanted something solid to lean on to, intermittently.

Quote:
Just a sample from a recent trip on my Interceptor.

How did the Rynox H2GO pro rain pants perform during your trip ?

Quote:
Also, please do something about those metal brackets protruding out. If you do saddling on bad roads , would be real dangerous for your tailbone
Thanks for pointing this out. Will try to grind it away or use some padding or wind it with parachord.

regards Arun

Last edited by adrian : 21st August 2023 at 20:49. Reason: adding info
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks